• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Nintendo ever make a shooter?

aku:jiki

Talking 2D, top-down, real shooting of course. Oldschool.

I have a feeling they must've produced at least one during the '80's. I mean..who didn't?

My mind is drawing a blank though, and I'm kind of amazed by the thought of Nintendo skipping the entire genre. So, did they?

AniHawk

aku:jiki said:
Talking 2D, top-down, real shooting of course. Oldschool.

I have a feeling they must've produced at least one during the '80's. I mean..who didn't?

I really can't think of any though, and I'm kind of amazed by it. So, did they?

Not sure they did one like you're talking about, but Star Fox 64 was one.

I wonder what that game before DK was.

AniHawk said:
Not sure they did one like you're talking about, but Star Fox 64 was one.
Damn it, beat me to my edit. :(
And I guess I beat you to yours. Fair enough.

You're right on both accounts, though. I didn't think of Star Fox 64, but that would probably be because I meant 2D.

That's kind of weird, isn't it? Everybody was doing it back then, seems like Nintendo would've wanted to get in on the action. They probably did and weren't as good at it as the others, I figure, and that's why I've never heard of whatever one they did either. :p

EmSeta

Didn't Nintendo make Solar Striker? Or am I way off?

EDIT: No I was right. Solar Striker for the original GB.

AniHawk

Vs. Raid On Bungeling Bay was a game created in 1985 by Nintendo/Broderband that was a top-down helicopter shooter.

ge-man

More knowledgeable people will be able to help for sure, but I believe Radarscope was made before DK. The story was they decided to make shooter based on the genres popularity. I tanked badly, and a young designer by the name of Miyamoto was given the job of making their next arcade game. That was DK and the rest is history.

AniHawk

radarscope.jpg

Radarscope! That's the one!

Nintendo used to be an arcade developer, so like you assumed, of course.

One game off the top of my head is Space Fever.

ge-man

aku:jiki said:
Damn it, beat me to my edit. :(
And I guess I beat you to yours. Fair enough.

You're right on both accounts, though. I didn't think of Star Fox 64, but that would probably be because I meant 2D.

That's kind of weird, isn't it? Everybody was doing it back then, seems like Nintendo would've wanted to get in on the action. They probably did and weren't as good at it as the others, I figure, and that's why I've never heard of whatever one they did either. :p

I've heard some people argue that Nintendo was built on being mainstream. Think the success of DK and subsequent ventures point towards the contrary. Nintendo has been their best with the least likely choices. It's can be their best trait, but sometimes it's their bane.

ge-man said:
I've heard some people argue that Nintendo was built on being mainstream. Think the success of DK and subsequent ventures point towards the contrary. Nintendo has been their best with the least likely choices. It's can be their best trait, but sometimes it's their bane.
I agree. Nintendo made their fortune by experimentation with weird-ass games. They made the jump from "bit player" to "leader" when they stopped copying the hottest games of the time (Space Invaders---Space Fever, Western Gun---Sheriff, Galaxian---Radarscope) and started being original, quirky, and innovative (DK).

WarPig

Doesn't quite fit the mold, but I believe Red Alarm -- the early Virtual Boy shooter -- was a Nintendo creation.

DFS.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
red alarm was developed by t+e soft. otherwise known for loads of indistinguishable golf games.

nintendo published the american arcade release of r-type. but i think solar striker is the only game that really qualifies.

similar question: did sega ever develop any shmups after fantasy zone? i know they've published a lot. was biohazard battle developed in house? that's a pretty rad game. i think they might have done some mediocre arcade shooter in the mid 80s as well.

WarPig

drohne said:
red alarm was developed by t+e soft. otherwise known for loads of indistinguishable golf games.

similar question: did sega ever develop any shmups after fantasy zone?

Well, thank you T&E Soft, for being so deuced weird.

A Sega shooter after Fantasy Zone...hum. Does Quartet count? That was sort of a side-scrolling shooter, and it hit in 1986, a year or so after Fantasy Zone.

DFS.

jarrod

Banned
2D Shooters
-Space Fever (Arcade) 1979
-Sheriff (Arcade) 1979
-Helifire (Arcade) 1980
-Space Firebird (Arcade) 1980
-RadarScope (Arcade) 1980
-Space Demon (Arcade) 1981
-Sky Skipper (Arcade) 1982
-Solar Striker (GB) 1990

3D Shooters
-Starfox (SNES) 1993 co-developed with Argonaut Software
-Starfox 64 (N64) 1997

Gun Shooters
-Laser Clay Shooting (Arcade) 1976
-Shooting Trainer (Arcade) 1976
-Wild Gunman (Arcade) 1976
-Sky Hawk (Arcade) 1976
-Battle Shark (Arcade) 1977
-Wild Gunman (NES) 1984
-Duck Hunt (NES) 1984
-Hogan's Alley (NES) 1984
-VS. Hogan's Alley (Arcade) 1984
-VS. Wild Gunman (Arcade) 1984
-VS. Gumshoe (Arcade) 1987
-Super Scope 6 (SNES) 1993
-BattleClash (SNES) 1993
-Yoshi's Safari (SNES) 1993

belgurdo

Banned
I wish Nintendo stayed in arcade development. Mario/Zelda/Metroid and a sequel for each every gen is nice, but I'd love to see some diversity in fighters, real RPGs besides "get them all" fare, shooters, gun games, etc.

Vargas

Jarrod wins. But please take out Animal Crossing from that list. The person that first classified that game as an RPG needs to be found and beaten.

belgurdo said:
I wish Nintendo stayed in arcade development. Mario/Zelda/Metroid and a sequel for each every gen is nice, but I'd love to see some diversity in fighters, real RPGs besides "get them all" fare, shooters, gun games, etc.
Tell me about it! I bet if Nintendo hadn't failed at it, I'd be bathing in shooters as opposed to getting one or two a year now. :(

Thanks for the info, though, guys. Are these games in MAME? I'd love to check them out.

Jak140

Since no one else mentioned it, there was also a pretty long shooter minigame that was built into the Gameboy Camera.

You guys are missing my favorite Nintendo shooter of all-time: Donkey Kong 3! Blashphemy! :) Now DK3 is old-school shooter at its best.

Edit: If DK is referring to Donkey Kong 3, nevermind.

Top Bottom