• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Paragon show the most dramatic PS4 vs. PS4 Pro graphical difference?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, during the PS4 Pro conference, I felt like there was only really one game that I saw an obvious difference with, and that was Paragon.

This might be because of how they chose to do the comparison, but I wanted to discuss what people thought of the visual upgrades on display here.

Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with these upgrades? Do they make you more or less likely to want a PS4 Pro assuming you see similar differences in other games?

I'm mostly curious since I'm assuming most of our forum doesn't have a 4K TV (I could be wrong!), but these seem like some of the more obviously noticeable upgrades at 1080p.

These images are courtesy of jett:

5abhqwn.png

5b8aqea.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Horizon gets my vote

I guess my issue with that one, while it looked really great visually, is that it's hard for me to know what exactly the differences are with the PS4 version.

I would consider it the best looking game at the show though.

BraXzy

I desperately want some official side by side comparisons of 1080p versions of games.

Ps4 vs PS4 Pro.

I want to know how improved games are going to look if I decide to settle at regular HD.

Xater

It's a less aggressive LOD and more foliage. I wasn't that impressed even by this comparison.

I desperately want some official side by side comparisons of 1080p versions of games.

Ps4 vs PS4 Pro.

I want to know how improved games are going to look if I decide to settle at regular HD.

Paragon was an example of the game running prettier at 1080p. The game already runs at 60fps on PS4. You won't see these upgrades when the game runs at 4K.

As someone who spends a lot of time gaming on a PC, this is exactly the sort of upgrade I expected, and I'm very excited about it. Better overall IQ and increased environmental density will make everything look better (I'm thinking Horizon will use this to great effect particularly).

That Sony is taking a balanced approach to 4k to allow for both better fidelity and better looking overall models/textures/effects, etc is great. It's a good way to lean into the strengths of the box and away from a lack of raw hardware power (which is even a real struggle to find on PC right now when it comes to 4k).

kiguel182

Is the PS4 Pro the bottom one? Honestly I can barely see it.

I'm more interested in performance vs graphics.

Edit: yeah, I can see the better textures. It looks good.

The differences in 1080p are what interest me the most. I don't own a 4K tv. I bought a really nice Sharp Aquos 60" last May and it's 1080p. Can't justify buying another large TV again so soon.

There's definitely a difference in the screen shots but I wonder how much will be noticeable during gameplay considering Paragon is already 60fps too.

BraXzy

Paragon was an example of the game running prettier at 1080p. The game already runs at 60fps on PS4.

Of course, but it was perhaps the only example. I want to see more.

The majority of stuff shown, as far as I'm aware, simply had a 4K resolution without actual visual enhancements.

Z3M0G

This is at 1080p right?

I expect at 4K it will be sharper, but the effects could be cut back from original.

killroy87

Considering we could only see compressed, low-res streams, the one that adds the most new assets will probably look the best.

Might be a different story to the people who were there though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is at 1080p right?

I expect at 4K it will be sharper, but the effects could be cut back from original.

It was showcased in the 'HDTV' bit, so yeah, it'll be interesting to see what the higher res mode is like.

I think it's a good example for what a 1080p image could be offered with Pro. Not simply a downsample, some nice icing specifically for 1080p. The textures, vegetation geometry, atmospherics in the lighting etc are all nicely bumped (or in some cases, nicely introduced...it seems there's little or no grass geometry in the standard).

Hoje0308

Banned
Pretty big difference between the two. If I can't find a suitable 4K set, I'll still be happy at 1080 if improvements like those seen here are common.

BraXzy

I feel like I'd enjoy 1080p with much higher IQ and polycount upscaled to 4K by my TV than going for semi-native 4K straight from the box. It's something that needs comparing in detail.

You can tell the difference for real....But Paragon makes good use the hardware of the original PS4? Because i think (it doesnt mean that it´s truth written in stone) that the foliage in the ground and the rocks looks very PS3ish

How Paragon in PS4 and PS4 pro stands against Uncharted 4 that is the best looking OG PS4 title until now?

http://

http://

Will honestly grab as PS4 Pro just for this. Really been enjoying my time with Paragon and I was happy to see it have some presence on the stage yesterday.

KORNdoggy

for me it was the only one that did really. i wanted more swipe comparisons. instead we just got footage of it at 4k. streamed via youtube on a 1080p screen for me and my immediate reaction was mainly "they look the same...don't they?" horizon blew me away...but horizon always does.

i just want more side by side comparisons to make it clear what we're actually gaining as 1080p gamers.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I actually thought CoD showed the biggest jump. There were a lot more effects and more refined lighting than what I've seen of the campaign on PS4.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You can tell the difference for real....But Paragon makes good use the hardware of the original PS4? Because i think (it doesnt mean that it´s truth written in stone) that the foliage in the ground and the rocks looks very PS3ish

How Paragon in PS4 and PS4 pro stands against Uncharted 4 that is the best looking OG PS4 title until now?

Well, to be fair to it, it is a 60 FPS f2p MOBA that's still in Early Access.

@Nirolak

It was exactly used as an example to highlight, that not only a resolution bump can be done, but also a graphical update, that would benefit 4k TV owners and 1080p TV owners.

S1kkZ

when the rumors about neo/scorpio came up, i fully expected that ue4 titles would benefit the most.

with every ue4 title on console, i got the feeling that some massive trade-offs had to be made (ackgrounds in sf5, framerate for most other titles, texture filtering, amount of detail in the visuals). ue4 was clearly made with more powerful consoles in mind and now it could really shine.

tekken 7 and ff7 remake will look glorious in 1080p pro mode.

georly

It's a less aggressive LOD and more foliage. I wasn't that impressed even by this comparison.

Paragon was an example of the game running prettier at 1080p. The game already runs at 60fps on PS4. You won't see these upgrades when the game runs at 4K.

So will ps4 pro be a better system when running in 1080? Should I not even bother getting a 4k tv?

S1kkZ

So will ps4 pro be a better system when running in 1080? Should I not even bother getting a 4k tv?

4k: visuals on par with the standard ps4 (mostly) but running with higher res and hdr.

1080p: better framerate and/or better visuals.

molnizzle

Paragon renders at 900p on PS4.

So yes, rendering at even 1080p shows a dramatic difference. I think it was disingenuous of Sony to make it look like the game was going from 1080p native to faux-K. That's not what's happening here.

georly

4k: visuals on par with the standard ps4 (mostly) but running with higher res and hdr.

1080p: better framerate and/or better visuals.

Yes, just think of medium setting (PS4) and high setting (PS4P) as PC enviroment in 1080 mode.

So it's choose one, 4k or 'more' game improvements? Weird.

And no HDR when playing in 1080? Is HDR strictly a 4k tech?

Can you tell it to run 1080 mode on a 4k tv?

It seemed like going from medium to high settings in a PC game. Cool but hardly impressive. It think this new console might be a bit of a hard sell.

Well, to be fair to it, it is a 60 FPS f2p MOBA that's still in Early Access.

Totally agree! But call me crazy, the OG PS4 Uncharted 4 looks very close to what they have shown of Paragon at 1080p on newer hardware. So...it feels is like 400 bucks for something that looks similar of what have been shown in other titles for the current model with extra effort and, of course, 30 fps. In the OG PS4 Screen The LOD of the rocks and folliage, reminds me a PS3 game. I expected something closer to the picture of PS4 Pro for the OG Model, and something even beyond that for the Pro....But maybe it´s just me, who knows.

Sanctuary

When did they even show this during the presentation? Someone mentioned this game as clearly taking advantage of the differences with the Pro, but the only thing I remember seeing with this was a quick, 5s snippet in a trailer collage.

It seemed like going from medium to high settings in a PC game. Cool but hardly impressive. It think this new console might be a bit of a hard sell.

Dunno. To me, this isn't a system that they are expecting to fly off the shelves right at launch, but more of a system for those that have a 4K TV and either don't have a PS4 yet, or want an additional one/replacement. It will also become the default PS4 over the next few years as more people invest in 4K TVs. I know the Slim now exists, but who is going to buy a Slim after buying a 4K TV?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Totally agree! But call me crazy, the OG PS4 Uncharted 4 looks very close to what they have shown of Paragon at 1080p on newer hardware. So...it feels is like 400 bucks for something that looks similar of what have been shown in other titles for the current model with extra effort and, of course, 30 fps. In the OG PS4 Screen The LOD of the rocks and folliage, reminds me a PS3 game. I expected something closer to the picture of PS4 Pro for the OG Model, and something even beyond that for the Pro....But maybe it´s just me, who knows.

Paragon is 60 fps. I don't believe UC4 is 60 fps. That's a pretty big difference.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is at 1080p right?

Yeah, they showed this during the portion which highlighted how 1080p only displays will benefit with Pro as well.

I would imagine if they're gonna put it at 4K, they're gonna wanna keep as much of the extra effects as possible as well, just adding more light shafts and cleaner textures probably doesn't come anywhere close to maxing out the extra power.

Angel_DvA

Looks really good on PS4 Pro and it's the biggest mistake from this conference, not enough comparaison between OG PS4 and PS4 Pro, don't know what they were thinking but whatever...

Sanctuary

I'm not believing shit until this thing is released. Sony is coy at best about performance/visuals.

What are you talking about, all of the Naughty Dog bullshots during last gen?

Looks really good on PS4 Pro and it's the biggest mistake from this conference, not enough comparaison between OG PS4 and PS4 Pro, don't know what they were thinking but whatever...

The entire conference almost seemed like it was made specifically for press text bites or developers rather than the consumer.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Paragon renders at 900p on PS4.

So yes, rendering at even 1080p shows a dramatic difference. I think it was disingenuous of Sony to make it look like the game was going from 1080p native to faux-K. That's not what's happening here.

This was specifically showcased as an example of what devs could do to enhance the experience at 1080p, for HDTVs. It wasn't part of the '4K' portion. But I'm sure it'll probably have a '4K-ish' mode too.

We need higher quality images to gauge more accurately, but still...ps4 pro screenshot looks much better. The kind of fidelity improvements I would rather have...don't have the money or inclination to buy a 4k tv with hdr and low input lag, anytime soon.

So, developers please put me in your thoughts and add features that I can fully appreciate on my 'peasant' 1080p screen.

Top Bottom