• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Paragon show the most dramatic PS4 vs. PS4 Pro graphical difference?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
so wait... this is adding things like more grass, higher polycount, better textures... all because its being upscaled?

I dont understand whats going on...
No. This is what happens in PRO 1080p mode "if" the game gets an update.
Not sure if it applies to the 4k mode too, but that was specifically for 1080p presentation.
We need other examples as the rest are just 4k shots

Boke1879

What are you talking about, all of the Naughty Dog bullshots during last gen?

The entire conference almost seemed like it was made specifically for press text bites or developers rather than the consumer.

That's honestly precisely what it was for. Similar complaints were leveraged at Sony for the originally ps4 reveal. People complained that they couldn't see the difference in the games.

People invited were mostly press so what you said makes sense. I understand why they streamed it but it's tough to get that same message across without the visuals.

Thankfully people like giant bomb and Digital foundry and telling people how good this actually is

It has began...

They will begin crippling games on the PS4 so we "see the difference"...Theres no way the PS4 couldnt do what the 2nd screenshot is doing (just lightrays and better textures) when you can see what it can do with Uncharted4 and other titles.

This is probably my last generation on consoles, I bought the PS4 and still dont see its full potential explored, and we will probably never see it now.

What a sad generation.

madmackem

It has began...

They will begin crippling games on the PS4 so we "see the difference"...Theres no way the PS4 couldnt do what the 2nd screenshot is doing (just lightrays and better textures) when you can see what it can do with Uncharted4 and other titles.

This is probably my last generation on consoles, I bought the PS4 and still dont see its full potential explored, and we will probably never see it now.

What a sad generation.
No they arnt going to do that at all, have you played paragon on ps4 it looks great runs a solid framerate and can send my ps4 fans going worse than running uncharted can, the difference is better everything on ps4 pro with the same great framerate.

It has began...

What a sad generation.

I don't see this happening, games will probably still be designed the same way with high resolution textures being made and used appropriately. They will scale details back to get the game running in PS4, but I don't think that means they will get sloppy and push unoptimized code out. Naughty Dog/SSM etc are all great studios with a track record of making graphically amazing games, regardless of the platform. Some other devs will always be behind them regardless of the power. I'm sure it's likely some wouldn't even be able to make a game comparable to the standard UC4 even using the PS4 Pros power.

Coxy100

Banned
It has began...

What a sad generation.

Do you really think they'd risk pissing off 40 million people?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It has began...

This is a red herring.

There's a complete difference between what one studio can do at one framerate, and what another studio can do at a different framerate, on a given piece of hardware.

You can't compare them apples to apples and say because one isn't achieving what the other can, it is 'being lazy' about what it's doing on the hardware.

Better hardware lets a given developer achieve a better result. But that doesn't mean every developer will achieve the same results. That's not the promise of new hardware.

Paragon on PS4 is the best Paragon on PS4 that Epic can make, and Paragon on PS4 Pro is the best Paragon on PS4 Pro that they can make. What Naughty Dog can or can't do on PS4 standard or PS4 Pro is irrelevant - just because another team could do something as good or better than this on less hardware is meaningless. Everyone's 'best' on a given spec is going to vary, and the point is that this new hardware is letting Epic reach a higher best for them and their project.

Now Epic is a talented team, of course. But they're a multiplatform dev with a different resource distribution targeting different priorities than ND tends to with their games. To take it to an extreme - to you expect every single mid-and-lower-tier game, indie etc., to be better on Pro than Naughty Dog's best on standard? If they deliver anything less, it's proof they're deliberately short-changing their PS4 standard users?

Better hardware can let resource-constrained developers brute force their way to results that they couldn't otherwise achieve without a lot more time/effort/money on less. There is nothing 'bad' about that, every team has different limits on what they can do within their budgets. Better hardware lifts everyone's achievable goals for the same budget.

It has began...

What a sad generation.

*tin foil hat on*

I believe they've already started.

Epic Games released v31 last week on PS4 which dramatically changed how the game looked and performed.

The entire image now looks "hazy", almost looking sub 720p.

Texture streaming is constant as you walk across the map and at times under your feet. Switching cameras when dead or recalling to base loads the entire maps geometry each and every time which looks worse than Gears 1 on the 360. It looks hideous.

Even the UIs lod isnt instant, aiming Murdocks ult and you see the reticule loading in.

This did not happen before this update and Epic games have yet to comment on the issue having had the entire Epic forums being awash with complaints.

#BestOnPS4Pro

Top Bottom