• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did people forget Stadia?

I only read the gaming industry news aggregator Neogaf and its rarely ever mentioned here so im guessing most other outlets barely cover it

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The service was hyped? By whom?

Sure there were a couple of sensationalists who tried to get clicks with articles proclaiming it the future of gaming, but generally I feel like the reaction to it was one of strong skepticism towards its viability, business models, and Google's commitment.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
:messenger_neutral:
Screenshot-20200112-193954.jpg

JMarcell

With this bizarre business model, that the user has to pay a monthly fee AND pay for the game he wants to play (some games are 2-3 years old and costs U$50 or 60) it will never succeed.

Not to mention the issues this kind of service has (latency, needs a constant internet connection)

Last edited:

CuNi

Service? Probably dead/haven't hear from them, might forget it exists.

But those ads? I'll never forget those ads..

Pimpbaa

No one wants to buy games that you have to stream and pay a subscription fee on top of that. For any gaming streaming service to have a chance it has to be a subscription fee only. Then the savings and convenience will outweigh the disadvantages of streaming games (for some). And for those wanting to stream to their phones, didn't help it has only been on pixel phones so far.

BootsLoader

Banned
Well the burn is real. A service soon to be moved to Google Graveyard.
At least I am happy that "traditional" home console gaming will be here for long. I like watching the hardware sitting next to my television, the beep it makes when I turn it on etc.

Google had given up on the version they released, they are waiting to mass market the "free" version coming out soon, The version where you don't need a subscription. The one that should have been the one available at launch.

It was hyped in many threads and posts all over the internet. Including Gaf too. Many people said that this is the future and consoles are doomed. I am sorry but I don't remember the names of those people.

I don't remember a single positive reaction to Stadia on this forum but I can't find the thread on it so if you have the link post it and we can go over the thread. I remember everyone thinking it was a scam but I could be wrong.

BootsLoader

Banned
Google had given up on the version they released, they are waiting to mass market the "free" version coming out soon, The version where you don't need a subscription. The one that should have been the one available at launch.

I don't remember a single positive reaction to Stadia on this forum but I can't find the thread on it so if you have the link post it and we can go over the thread. I remember everyone thinking it was a scam but I could be wrong.

The bad thing is that I don’t have the link too. :<
Maybe I’m mistaken then.

I was interested at first by the idea but given Googles history of support and the fact that unlimited internet is not something that is all over the place where I am I just sat back and watched the party.

trikster40

Is Stadia the plural of Stadium? Who has multiple stadiums?

I just feel sorry for those that put any money into it. Stadia is going to the tech graveyard.

stadia is not worth remembering lol

The thing is it was never hyped. People were criticizing it left and right before launch

Stadia promised many things and it... Well it didn't deliver.

Also, it was supposed to offer PS5/sX level of performance, that also have not occurred yet... It barely holds it's own against current consoles, the image it way worse once compression is taken into account.

Add the price of games and recurring fees, why should anyone care?
Many people said that this is the future and consoles are doomed.
No gamepass is the future now!

Funny thing, both services are similar to PSNow in some aspects.

Last edited:

Vol5

Google really showed their ass with Stadia.
Absolutely clueless about the gaming industry.

Which is kind of strange considering Phil Harrison was / is driving it. He was a big figure in the early playstation days.....I guess the money went to his head.

Ellery

I hope Stadia, Apple Cloud gaming, Nvidia GeForce Now, PS Now, everything VR (for now), gimping your new console in order to have people still play new games on their Xbox One 1.3 TFLOPS, Motion Controller, Wii Move, Dancing games, Microtransactions, 10 different pre-order Versions, mobile gaming, characters with eyes disproportionally too big for their head and QTE Quick Time Events are all being killed off.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I hope Stadia, Apple Cloud gaming, Nvidia GeForce Now, PS Now, everything VR (for now), gimping your new console in order to have people still play new games on their Xbox One 1.3 TFLOPS, Motion Controller, Wii Move, Dancing games, Microtransactions, 10 different pre-order Versions, mobile gaming, characters with eyes disproportionally too big for their head and QTE Quick Time Events are all being killed off.

If all of these gone they will bring a new version of it .. just like :

twLem94.jpg

We got a plan .. we need money

mekes

I could have told you that the infrastructure was not there to support the platform to a high enough standard.

My credentials, I have an internet connection. Hire me Google.

Baby Yoda

Neo Member
While I’d be interested in a service and console like this I simply don’t trust Google with a project like this. They’re so eager to kill things before they’re really able to get going.

I’m more interested in what Microsoft has on offer. They have a proven track record and are really innovating in that space with Game Pass etc. I also really like Apple Arcade. While completely different I could see Apple taking a swing at something like Stadia going forward and having more success than Google, at least in America.

Top Bottom