• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did people forget Stadia?

AGRacing

Gold Member
I have a buddy pass. On a PC button inputs generally felt OK... analog input was a mess. Had an “elastic band” kind of feeling.

Phil Harrison must be devastated. His reputation is completely tarnished at this point..

Don't give up Phil!

I remember his reputation was so “excellent” before Stadia that people used to speculate he was an industrial spy / saboteur for Sony. Just going from company to company destroying their gaming dreams and aspirations.

He must be an absolute darling in a job interview.

The biggest thing is that Stadia needs titles - there are only 28 titles on Stadia, with only one being an exclusive new (AA) game. Everything else is old stuff that can be had cheaper elsewhere. I don't see it going very far if they don't start rolling out some tempting titles that can't be had elsewhere for less. Of course, Stadia right now is basically a paid beta, so who knows if Google will stick it out long enough for them to actually get some exclusives that people want (although I have to admit that Gylt is an interesting game that is well done).

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Even Microsoft backed off XCloud after Stadia released so that should tell you everything about the future of streaming.

Sugarmonkey

I won't lie, I was mildly interested. As in, a few years down the road if I didn't feel like spending another 3-4K on a new PC build. Because Google said they will be using the most up to date, high end hardware to run games at 4K. Then I saw what they are actually delivering and I proceeded to forget all about it. Until now. Well, back to forgetting Stadia is a thing.

Sugarmonkey

Oh, and another thing. I can't even get good streaming in my house with 400 down, an Orbi setup, and games moving from my consoles / Steam PC to a phone / tablet. Why would I believe they have some secret sauce? I've seen the xcloud videos, it's still in beta for a reason.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Google has to relaunch everything again, before ps5 launch, stadia v2, call it stadiam or something, revamp its many parts and looks, hold a relaunch party. Sorta like FF14 mmorpg rebirth.

But this is Google, we know stadia is just another lame attempt at burning away investors cash, because they can with the Fed printing cheap money.

Barakov

Gold Member
Stadia? Honestly, I totally forgot about it. I'm wondering how long before Google pulls the plug on it.

Mikey Jr.

Remember when Stadia was about to be shown off?

These numbskulls showed the "history" of gaming with Stadia being the final entry.

Here is what they listed before it.

vuxll0pqkjn21.png

The Dreamcast- Failed Console

The Powerglove- Failed gimmick accessory

ET for Atari- Caused the video game crash

Stadia- lol

Good job Google.

BootsLoader

Banned
If google wants to really compete they should make a standalone console. Buy some studios and work. You need time, at least 5 years to have some great AAA exclusive games to move your service/console on. Look at epic games store for example. They may be a$$holes for having the exclusivity in some games but that’s what keeps them moving on.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Now that Voost has been mentioned so much, i can already seem him making a thread in the coming days by which he will lecture us about the sales numbers and that it actually means a huge success for stadia.

I doubt I was alone predicting Stadia was DOA months before it's release. I remember commenting on YouTube posts in which it seemed like every 4th or 5th poster HAD to be paid Google shills bc I found it difficult to believe that many people were totally delusional about the market prospects of this piece of garbage. Still, that it has seemingly flamed out THIS quickly into almost total obscurity is a tad surprising. I figured it'd take a few months to die. But it's been rendered obsolete by next Gen consoles that won't even launch for another 10 months. Xbox SeX makes Stadia irrelevant.

These numbskulls showed the "history" of gaming with Stadia being the final entry.

vuxll0pqkjn21.png

Stadia- lol

Good job Google.
Wouldn't the Switch fill that final slot? I mean read what it says.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
What about it?

Google has acquired Typhoon studios, that's cool but besides that not much else newsworthy. They have a lot of things service-wise to fix on Stadia.

I'm personally still waiting for the free version, i still think the tech and the project is the most ambitious seen so far on Cloud streaming, but the launch was so half baked that it's impossible to recommend right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

BootsLoader

Banned
What about it?

Google has acquired Typhoon studios, that's cool but besides that not much else newsworthy. They have a lot of things service-wise to fix on Stadia.

I'm personally still waiting for the free version, i still think the tech and the project is the most ambitious seen so far on Cloud streaming, but the launch was so half baked that it's impossible to recommend right now.

I doubt there will be a free version.

Grinchy

Banned
Everyone acts like Stadia is useless, but that circular Chromecast gets really hot while in use and would be a perfect way to keep your coffee up to temperature.

Last edited:

Snailys

For me stadia is shitty shit right now.
OFC in the future there is possibility that gaming will looks like stadia, but right now is to early for services like that

diffusionx

Gold Member
Stadia's hype was all top down from the big sites, there was absolutely no excitement in gaming circles outside of the subreddit. When the thing came out and Destiny 2 which was hyped as 4k/60fps was 1080p smeared shit AA at medium I knew it was done for.

People think of Google as this all-encompassing monster but in reality they're not very good at anything outside of search and figuring out new ways to spy on you.

vuxll0pqkjn21.png

Stadia- lol

Good job Google.

I refuse to believe this was accidental. This was a God-tier inside troll.

Paltheos

vuxll0pqkjn21.png

Stadia- lol

Good job Google.

??
I can understand the first two but why would you showcase ET as an object of aspiration? Anyone who knows anything about it knows that it's a warning against ballooned expectations and market cynicism (sales won't always go up, and people won't always buy crap).

Allforce

I don't think I was "hyped" for it but the idea of being able to stream 4K 60FPS HDR gaming on my big-ass TV was certainly intriguing as there's no way my PC is handling that type of performance for games like RDR2, CyberPunk, etc.

But when it launched and fell flat on it's face I just moved on.

Top Bottom