• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did people forget Stadia?

BootsLoader

Banned
Cattura.png
Thank you

NAI1210

I really think Microsoft will probably offer a decent streaming option probably an extension of gamepass even if they charge a little more for the service it will be vastly cheaper than the stadia option, and that will be the final nail in the coffin for stadia, and if you paid full price for a game you can only stream well sorry you won't have access to it any more, if the service is no more.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It's not fair to talk about Stadia because there will come a time where gamers will talk about it, I remember PS Now not getting word to mouth months after release, really if you look at it its not a Stadia google thing, it's a video game streaming thing.

NAI1210

It's not fair to talk about Stadia because there will come a time where gamers will talk about it, I remember PS Now not getting word to mouth months after release, really if you look at it its not a Stadia google thing, it's a video game streaming thing.
Yes but psnow is a subscription service that does not ask you to subscribe and then pay full price for the game you want to stream, no ownership whatsoever of your 60 buck purchase but you get to stream it, gamers will talk about stadia in the future but only in the, wtf where they thinking kind of way, Netflix would not be a thing today if they expected people to pay full price just to be able to stream a movie you purchased

Yes but psnow is a subscription service that does not ask you to subscribe and then pay full price for the game you want to stream, no ownership whatsoever of your 60 buck purchase but you get to stream it, gamers will talk about stadia in the future but only in the, wtf where they thinking kind of way, Netflix would not be a thing today if they expected people to pay full price just to be able to stream a movie you purchased

The whole Stadia business model reeks of a DIVX (the DVD format, not the compression) situation, it would be one thing it you just paid a monthly fee and that's it, but paying $60 for a game and then losing that if/when the service goes away, there is no way I will sign up for something like that...

Last edited:

NAI1210

The whole Stadia business model reeks of a DIVX (the DVD format, not the compression) situation, it would be one thing it you just paid a monthly fee and that's it, but paying $60 for a game and then losing that if/when the service goes away, there is no way I will sign up for something like that...
Totally agree if it was just a subscription service I would check it out, but paying full price to stream is just taking the piss, also its not good for video game preservation if this model became the norm so many games would be lost over time, I'm not advocating emulation but at least those roms are out there, would that be the same of a streaming future

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Now I'm just curious how the Stadia funded studios would ends.
I was wondering the same thing.. Maybe they can sell the games on other consoles? Or maybe they can just sell them to another publisher...who knows?

BootsLoader

Banned
I was wondering the same thing.. Maybe they can sell the games on other consoles? Or maybe they can just sell them to another publisher...who knows?

Best thing for Google to do is to is to become a publisher or game developer. Build up some experience and then maybe release a console or a service etc.

njean777

Best thing for Google to do is to is to become a publisher or game developer. Build up some experience and then maybe release a console or a service etc.

Or just be third party and release on the major consoles aka Sega. They didn't need to build a whole entire streaming platform when Xbox and Playstation are already doing all the work for them.

Katsura

Why are they removing old games from the monthly sub lineup when adding new ones? That seem like a terrible business decision. They should have an ever growing library to entice potential customers in order to compete with the likes of gamepass

BootsLoader

Banned
Why are they removing old games from the monthly sub lineup when adding new ones? That seem like a terrible business decision. They should have an ever growing library to entice potential customers in order to compete with the likes of gamepass

Removing old games? Wtf? Really???

Katsura

Removing old games? Wtf? Really???
That's what i've read. They're adding new games while removing some of the old ones. Apparently the idea is you have to claim the games while they're up in order to keep them as part of your subscription. Kinda like PS+. It's a very strange way to go about it because it means there isn't any added value for new subscribers down the line

wolywood

I was as snarky about Stadia as everyone else, but got the premiere edition bundle as a birthday gift and I've actually been playing it a lot more than I expected. Helps that switching between different screens/devices is so damn seamless...for me it works way better than Remote Play ever did (not to mention the bloated, bug filled mess that is the Playstation Now app on PC).

nikolino840

"This is my personal opinion, but this is like the early days of Steam in a sense that this is when people were complaining that it took too long to download, and then the download would stop and people were [complaining] the price was exactly the same as a boxed game," says Rubio.

"It's going to get better. In fact, one day when we look back, people will wonder why people were questioning streaming at all. I'm not talking about Stadia specifically. I'm talking about streaming in general."

When Stadia launched in November last year, the resounding reception was likely not what Google had hoped for, though given the state of the tech at the time, almost certainly what was expected. Performance issues, lower than promised graphical fidelity, and a high entry price with little on offer once you get through the gates, left many critics and early adopters feeling cold. It was a beta launch in all but name.

For Tequila Works, joining Stadia at the ground level was a low risk endeavour, as Google financed the project, but creators still want people to play and enjoy their games. To this end, did Google Stadia meet Rubio's expectations?

"My view is subjective of course, it cannot be objective because I have been inside, and I know there are many features that are super cool that are not active yet," says Rubio. "So let's have this conversation in one year I guess.

"People are totally right to be wary. It's a new technology; historically streaming solutions didn't work. I think it's the time, in a sense, in that the technology is there and the audience is there, and to be honest the content wars are here... [Stadia] has a lot of potential, it hasn't reached its full potential yet. I think that was never the idea with this small soft launch. I know that they are working to make it better every day. I know it's going to get better, because there are a few features that are going to blow people's minds."

Dlacy13g

Incorrect... Stadia is a full platform ecosystem and service... PS Now is a service offered within the platform ecosystem. You can't compare the two because they are not comparable. It's 100% fair to talk about Stadia now because they are asking consumers to invest in their ecosystem not just their service. Stadia's #1 failing (and it will stay that way for at minimum 2yrs) is they have ZERO exclusives made by internal studios. They just this past year launched their 1st party studio efforts which means at min. we are talking a year out for getting a game that was possibly already in development by a studio they buy but for anything built ground up by a Stadia 1st party that will be 2yrs min. if its going to be remotely decent. The alternative is they pump out shovelware which frankly I hope is not the case.

Didn't Klee say he is convinced that Stadia is the future of gaming, that Stadia will end up a dominant service? Made me really take antyhing Klee says less seriously.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i honestly still don't get why most of neogaf is so fucking angry at stadia or epic tbh.

i honestly still don't get why most of neogaf is so fucking angry at stadia or epic tbh.

I am not necessarily mad at Stadia, I just don't want the future of gaming downing down that path and that is what they are pushing for. You have to buy hardware to play, pay a monthly fee to have access to their service and then shell out $60 for a game (which their library is a joke right now) that I am only allowed to stream which in hopes my internet can handle...and if the service goes away, you lose everything, at least with current/next gen consoles you can always buy a disc version and since they are so established you can feel comfortable going full digital like I have.

Last edited:

Spukc

I am not necessarily mad at Stadia, I just don't want the future of gaming downing down that path and that is what they are pushing for. You have to buy hardware to play, pay a monthly fee to have access to their service and then shell out $60 for a game (which their library is a joke right now) that I am only allowed to stream which in hopes my internet can handle...and if the service goes away, you lose everything, at least with current/next gen consoles you can always buy a disc version and since they are so established you can feel comfortable going full digital like I have.
just treat it like netflix or spotify.
it won't kill gaming. just add another service

just treat it like netflix or spotify.
it won't kill gaming. just add another service

And if were like Netflix I would be ok with it, but it would be like having to pay a monthly to access Netflix and then having to pay to watch each show once you login, that is part of the problem. Not sure if you remember the OnLive service that existed before it tanked, but that is how that service worked, and I am ok with that, you pay a monthly fee and you get access to all the games in their library, end or story.

Spukc

And if were like Netflix I would be ok with it, but it would be like having to pay a monthly to access Netflix and then having to pay to watch each show once you login, that is part of the problem. Not sure if you remember the OnLive service that existed before it tanked, but that is how that service worked, and I am ok with that, you pay a monthly fee and you get access to all the games in their library, end or story.
pretty sure stadia will slowly turn into this at a certain point.
but that also depends on the gamedevs.

pretty sure stadia will slowly turn into this at a certain point.
but that also depends on the gamedevs.

The problem is that the number of people interested in this is pretty low, if they just went to only have a monthly fee with unlimited game access it would be good for casual gamers that don't want to shell out a ton of money for games, but the problem is if not a lot of people are on the platform then Google as well as the developers aren't making much money from it and they aren't going to go out of their way to cater to a platform that isn't paying out as much as the home console/PC market, they are going to go where the money is, so unless Google just starts throwing cash at these devs I don't see it taking off very well. I have literally zero interest in the service, as do many on here. Just my thoughts...

TacosNSalsa

I think a lot of it stems from the Stadia marketing . Out the gate they started with it will give you better everything (graphics , resolution, LATENCY!!!) than your console.I think they've even taken shots at PC. Their first commercial was some weird sh*t with a giant guy flick your console off the table or whatever. I found it hilarious , a lot of others however did not.

V Voost Kain must be hospitalized and in ICU along with Stadia after this underwhelming debut.

I get 101 alerts and they are all mostly trolls like this one here.

Stadia is soon to be over 1 million units, standard version coming out soon that won't require subscription which will double sales. So much fake hate for no reason.

Quezacolt

I get 101 alerts and they are all mostly trolls like this one here.

Stadia is soon to be over 1 million units, standard version coming out soon that won't require subscription which will double sales. So much fake hate for no reason.
Soon to be over 100million? It was only downloaded half of that so far and from the looks of it, the sales are decreasing.

Katsura

I don't like it because it's made by Google, one of the most evil companies around that can and will abuse any data they get from it, and because game streaming will only make gaming worse for consumers. We know the big devs want it because it gives them even more control of the games. They don't want us to be able purchase games and have them out of their control. They hate the idea of 2nd hand games too. They'd rather rent us the games albeit at full purchase price. The supposed benefits of streaming in no way makes up for the downsides in my opinion

Data Ghost

As a gamer since the age of 9 (I’m 42 now), I have owned nearly every games console in existence...and I have zero interest in purchasing or playing a Stadia.

Xbox Series X and PS5 however, bring it on! Day one for both my dudes!

Top Bottom