• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Resistance 3 take some notes from Half Life: Raising the Bar?

meta4

Nearing the end....I dont know how they do it, but you really do use your entire arsenal......yes the arsenal is far and above HL2 and just about any game ever....so well done...and gun leveling is so much fun

Yup it is really well done. I loved spamming the atomizer in the last few levels. Which gun is your favorite?

meta4

Nope! See my above comment. Resistance 2 is criminally under-appreciated here on this board and elsewhere.

I thought the story, level design, visuals, and gameplay was very good. That sequence where Hale is going through the pitch black hotel with only his flashlight lighting the way, grims everywhere; some of the scariest, most tense shit I've played in a game that wasn't a survival horror game. R2 gets a lot of shit, but its campaign was still infinitely better than the vast majority of other FPS single player campaigns out there. The 8 player co-op was incredible as well, and if Resistance 3 had it, R3 would be the best FPS of last generation in my opinion. I was absolutely addicted to the R2 co-op. I rocked the Medic the vast majority of the time. I was so disappointed that Resistance 3 didn't bring it back. It's the main reason why I held off on buying R3 for as long as I did. I finally picked it up last year on sale from Amazon, and had a great time with it. Never touched the MP, though.

Holy shit I remember that part! It was so well done. I think it was a very varied and well constructed campaign. Seeing the kind of FPS's that come today like Metro, COD, BF etc I cant imagine how anyone found RE2 worse than those. RE3 is def the best of the bunch though.

-MD-

After finding R2 to be almost unplayable R3 was a very nice surprise and ended up being my favorite game in the trilogy as far as the campaign goes.

sn00zer

Finished...story was meh, but the scenarios it set up were incredible....dare I say one of if not the best SP FPS this gen.....good shit

EDIT: Story was weak...so I dont think its the best ever....so maybe not the best SP campaign (HL2 had it all)

Nope! See my above comment. Resistance 2 is criminally under-appreciated here on this board and elsewhere.

I thought the story, level design, visuals, and gameplay was very good. That sequence where Hale is going through the pitch black hotel with only his flashlight lighting the way, grims everywhere; some of the scariest, most tense shit I've played in a game that wasn't a survival horror game. R2 gets a lot of shit, but its campaign was still infinitely better than the vast majority of other FPS single player campaigns out there. The 8 player co-op was incredible as well, and if Resistance 3 had it, R3 would be the best FPS of last generation in my opinion. I was absolutely addicted to the R2 co-op. I rocked the Medic the vast majority of the time. I was so disappointed that Resistance 3 didn't bring it back. It's the main reason why I held off on buying R3 for as long as I did. I finally picked it up last year on sale from Amazon, and had a great time with it. Never touched the MP, though.

Apart from story, which I thought was pretty weak, I agree that R2 is super under appreciated. It has so much more variety and detail than R:FoM, with colorful, interesting locales, enemies, bosses, and so many great set pieces. Another great level (that coincidentally featured grims as well) was when you were going through the suburban neighborhood and get swarmed by them. So, so intense. I haven't played R3, but I really really enjoyed the 2nd one. It was superior to the first in every way except the weapon wheel, health system, and not having story co-op.

kitzkozan

What I really liked about Resistance 1 and 3 were that they were closer to the PC shooters of the early 2000s than console shooter #948 with regen health and two weapons.

That's why Resistance 2 was such a nasty mis-step in what would otherwise have been a very solid trilogy.

R2 sold best because R1 was great. R3 sold worst because R2 wasn't good.

Yeah, I still don't understand why Insomniacs decided to drastically change the Resistance formula outside of financial expectations??? Although R2 wasn't that bad since they put a lot of effort into making interesting boss encounters which made the sequel that much better. That's why Resistance 3 is a solid FPS campaign with it's unique setting, Half Life 2 inspirations and the mix of the best aspect from R1 and 2 which is the late 90's / early 00's FPS style (weapon wheel, non regenerating health, etc) and the boss battles of R2. R1 campaign was also decent, although basic among the ocean of shooters out there both in design and featuring one of the dullest color palette ever lol. The saving grace of R1 is that Insomniacs made a basic shooter mixed with their knowledge from Ratchet & Clank in terms of making creative and fun weapons / grenades that you can use.

I think that's why I prefer the Resistance franchise to Killzone simply because the weaponry arsenal is much more inspired which isn't surprising if you played Ratchet and Clank. :] In fact, they had more inspiration and creativity in everything including enemy diversity, scope and set pieces. It's just a shame that they lacked focus and that the multi wasn't on par with Killzone.

Top Bottom