• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Sony set the stage for E3 2014?

mekes

If Sony announce a VR version of Wipeout I will pay a pretty price for the Morpheus. There are a lot of games I think may suit VR, but Wipeout is very close to the top of that list.

Massa

If Sony announce a VR version of Wipeout I will pay a pretty price for the Morpheus. There are a lot of games I think may suit VR, but Wipeout is very close to the top of that list.

That would have been nice but they killed Sony Liverpool.

R3TRODYCE

Ooh, Wipeout is the only thing that could make me change my tune on VR. I loved Wipeout HD something fierce.

Fedele

I can bet VR won't be central to Sony's E3. Morpheus is an experiment and a way for the company to set foot on that field and say "hey, we're also working on VR!" - nothing more than that, at least for the time being. This is why they chose to present it now instead of 3 months in, when they could potentially have better demos and experiences by having more time to work on them. Morpheus will be at the E3 too, but won't be the main focus.

E3 will be for games and app support for the PS4. It just doesn't make sense for them to focus on a new "media" device less than a year after releasing a new console. They have to show a lot more in terms of software, and that's what they will do.

My body is ready.

DeviantBoi

Considering how Microsoft spokesperson Arthur Gies has yet to receive his talking points regarding Project Morpheus (he has made zero comments), I'd say MS has nothing comparable to counter Sony.

AR glasses? Just another way to give you ads while you're out and about. That's why it's Google that has been pushing for that technology.

I can bet VR won't be central to Sony's E3. Morpheus is an experiment and a way for the company to set foot on that field and say "hey, we're also working on VR!" - nothing more than that, at least for the time being. This is why they chose to present it now instead of 3 months in, when they could potentially have better demos and experiences by having more time to work on them. Morpheus will be at the E3 too, but won't be the main focus.

E3 will be for games and app support for the PS4. It just doesn't make sense for them to focus on a new "media" device less than a year after releasing a new console. They have to show a lot more in terms of software, and that's what they will do.

My body is ready.
Yeah, they saw the hype the VR had in 2012 and started working on it since 2010 or 2011. Sony are geniuses.

Jigorath

Banned
A $199 pricepoint and I could see this becoming a Kinect-like phenomenon. Anything more and it will likely end up as a niche product for the hardcore. I'll get one no matter what since I'm a tech head and this stuff sounds amazing to me. I can't wait to read the impressions of the castle demo. Getting to explore a medieval castle with VR is pretty much the coolest thing ever.

Bluenova

Neo Member
Already been said, they threw down the gauntlet. The mindshare is with them, and this stokes that.

Microsoft getting dumped on two years in a row.. Sony's roadmap and execution been ahead of their game.

A $199 pricepoint and I could see this becoming a Kinect-like phenomenon. Anything more and it will likely end up as a niche product for the hardcore. I'll get one no matter what since I'm a tech head and this stuff sounds amazing to me. I can't wait to read the impressions of the castle demo. Getting to explore a medieval castle with VR is pretty much the coolest thing ever.
So you're saying it's fucked either way?

geordiemp

The nay sayers on this thread are quite funny.

Remember this time last year Sony talked about their console project, did not show a box, and promised great things in the future.

They gave a price at E3 and release late 2013...

By 2013 xmas time they had sold how many million world wide ?

Do not under estimate what a large consumer electronics corporation can do if there is a market

Rosur

The nay sayers on this thread are quite funny.

Remember this time last year Sony talked about their console project, did not show a box, and promised great things in the future.

They gave a price at E3 and release late 2013...

By 2013 xmas time they had sold how many million world wide ?

Do not under estimate what a large consumer electronics corporation can do if there is a market

Yea I'm expecting price at E3 for this thing and final design (3 months should be enough time). Thats if there aiming for a 2014 release.

I applaud Sony for the forward thinking! And I think that the mainstream press will eat up the whole 'future' of gaming thing resulting in some great PR. Should be interesting to see what Microsoft's PR play becomes ... "we have it too"? or silence? Or, here is ours?

But IMO Sony needs a steady stream of game reveals to maintain/grow the momentum, some fun stuff to look forward to on PS+, and perhaps some new firmware features (as outlined previously here on Gaf). I sincerely hope they show these three items have been their focus between now and the end of E3 vs VR.

Axass

E3 conference will go like this:

Vita: not even acknowledged.
PS3: some talk about sales and ongoing support.
PS4: main event, new games.
Morpheus: good amount of demos nothing solid about actual games.

plainr_

damn sony thought this one out, Kinect being limited to 30hz/fps is going to be a big deal if microsoft ever wants to bring VR to the table.

It's obvious Sony planned the camera to work with VR device after the PS4 launch.

EDIT: Also now that I think of it doesn't Kinect have a 60ms delay for processing data as well?

So Kinect 2.0 isn't VR ready?

Shieeeet.

3 hours conference this time? lol

They may announce a port of Valkyrie, but it won't be shown! They just announced the Morpheus. There won't be time by E3 to do a working port of the game. Unless, Sony approached the developer prior to the reveal.

Eve Valkyrie for PS4 is announced today btw.

Come one, anyone should have a healthy dose of skepticism right now and its particular hard to appreciate the merits of VR without being able to experience the implementation for yourself.
For any old regular Gaffer, I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you.

Social

Don't forget the dev kits for this have been in indies hands for a while too judging by the VRteaser image posted by that one dev.

So march 2015 or maybe even december 2014

Kinect was a huge seller. It was a fad but it still managed 24m sales, which is amazing for a peripheral.
A lot of the sales were because it was bundled. Anyways, I wasn't saying it couldn't be considered a success in some ways but calling Kinect a phenomenon is pushing it quite a bit.

The only thing that concerns me is that it's very far away from being released, I reckon it's the latter half of 2015. They'll demo the prototype at this E3, show off interesting concepts, announce support for upcoming games. At E3 2015 it'll get a proper name, the final product design, more concrete plans and support, release for September/Q4 2015.

PS4 being close to 2 years on the market will have had a pricecut by then (299 dollars). So the cost of the complete set will be atleast lower (VR bundle 499?). The install base of the PS4 will be much bigger by then, having more people to sell this thing to.

I don't see this or Rift taking off, it just seems like overpriced accessories to me.

All depends on how you define "taking off". I reckon both will find a significantly sized niche. Both have a significant challenge in cost-of-entry though.

For PS4, if you need move controller and camera in addition to the headset, then it's going to be a tough sell. Remember, this is the same target audience that said a $100 price difference for XBox is too much when you get mandatory peripherals and lower graphical quality than the cheaper option. If Morpheus brings mandatory peripherals (camera/move controller), increases price, and inevitably a reduced graphical quality relative to a non-VR game (but bring sweet, sweet immersion, I know) then you're potentially looking at a niche play.

OR - suspect it'll play to the 'top end' PC market, i.e. those with serious cash to throw at a rig, which instantly limits its potential market.

I've had a go on OR, and I know I'll be buying it (and a new PC) once it hits RTM. I have a horrible* feeling I'll be buying a PS4 just for the VR kit too - so don't write me off as a 'naysayer'. I get it, I just think cost will limit its appeal to much beyond a (significant, enthusiastic) niche.

* horrible for my wallet

Come one, anyone should have a healthy dose of skepticism right now and its particular hard to appreciate the merits of VR without being able to experience the implementation for yourself.

I promise you, it's absolutely ****ing incredible. Even just the crappy rollercoaster demo. Immersion is a real thing.

Atomsky

Banned
Both Nintendo and M$ are kinda belly up in the water now so E3 2014 would be a one man show. More games for sure, but not much from the Japanese developers I guess. Sad :(

Fredrik

damn sony thought this one out, Kinect being limited to 30hz/fps is going to be a big deal if microsoft ever wants to bring VR to the table.

It's obvious Sony planned the camera to work with VR device after the PS4 launch.

EDIT: Also now that I think of it doesn't Kinect have a 60ms delay for processing data as well?
Most PS4 owners need to buy the VR device plus the PS camera anyway since it wasn't included in the box, what's stopping MS to launch a similar higher speced two device setup?

Ponn

Banned
Most PS4 owners need to buy the VR device plus the PS camera anyway since it wasn't included in the box, what's stopping MS to launch a similar higher speced two device setup?

Almost a grand for a complete setup. Would love to see that Xbox One bundle on a shelf.

bug_42

Sony will not bring up the VR head set at E3. If they do, it will be in passing. They are going to focus on other things.
The headset is years away from market.

Top Bottom