• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Sony understimate demand by allocating only 10-15m till March 2021? Poll Inside!

Did Sony vastly understimated demand in their internal projections?

• Total voters

Gamerguy84

There will always be some limit on stock at the beginning but there has never been this type of appetite for consoles. IMO.

Worst I've seen it personally.

PS2 I got in line at a Walmart 4 hours before.
Picked up a PS3 at GS 3 days after launch.
PS4 pre-ordered easily and when it released then it went scarce.

PS5 people are camped outside GS 15 hours before open, 6 weeks before release, just to get a pre-order.

Its madness.

If I cant get one I'll have to take a break and do something else for a while until they come into stock. That could be a while though as scalpers will be on it as long as there is demand.

Bryank75

Banned
Brazil has basically umlimited stock avaliable 😂

It was sold out in the First day, but since the following stock wich I bought one, its still avaliable in all big stores.

At least theres one single advantage living in a more poor country with expensive stuff
Wasn't a guy brought to court over something he did because he was such an Xbox fan there? And the Judge absolutely wrecked him?

Anyway, yeah...I heard the prices are insane, was it 5K real?

Wasn't a guy brought to court over something he did because he was such an Xbox fan there? And the Judge absolutely wrecked him?

He's basically the Brazilian version of Tim dog. I read that even Xbox is telling people to not give him any attention due to all the shady fanboy crap that he did.

Found it.

The official Xbox Brazil Twitter account made a statement last week, saying MilGrau's content "does not reflect our fundamental values of respect, diversity and inclusion."

"We demand the immediate removal of our brand from your channels, through social media companies," the company said.

Basically an extremely racist Xbox fanboy that Xbox doesn't want to work with anymore.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
He's basically the Brazilian version of Tim dog. I read that even Xbox is telling people to not give him any attention due to all the shady fanboy crap that he did.

Found it.

MilGrau... yes. I had forgotten his name! That's an hilarious story.

The judge was savage, absolutely savage.

sixamp

PS5 people are camped outside GS 15 hours before open, 6 weeks before release, just to get a pre-order.

Its madness.

If I cant get one I'll have to take a break and do something else for a while until they come into stock. That could be a while though as scalpers will be on it as long as there is demand.
thats the thing stores like game stop and other retailers only got single digit allotments. i dont think the rush to buy a console is becaue of its popularity but more because of resale value due to covid and the possibility of not getting one for some time. so i dont think the ps5 or xbox really set the world on fire

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Well.... they should get Jim on the production line helping.
I thought I told you to stop bullying ol Jimbo?!

5UXkrkJ.gif

Dacon

Banned
I would have been surprised if this hadnt happened honestly.

I'm personally gonna wait a few months. There's no PS5 exclusives that I'm dying to have and the console is bound to have some issues with hardware and software in its first 4-5 months.

DinoD

If it’s going to be like the switch, resellers are gonna keep them out of hands of people that actually want em for some time to come as well.

Sony and MS should do direct sales like Apple and just push dates as you order. Take some pressure off.

Almost impossible for Sony to do this. They have a longstanding relationships/partnerships with retailers. Note. They are also pushing other electronic products (TV's, cameras, headphones, DVD's. CD's etc) through the same retail channel. This gives them an advantage of being able to push massive volumes through the traditional channel.

Apple excels at direct sales simply because they deliberately destroyed their retail partners. Drove them out of the business, by creating the network of their own stores. This was Timmy Cook's idea and the accomplishment. While their stores also generate revenue, they are essentially glorified kiosks/hubs, used to promote their products.

Regards

Orky

Banned
How do you even know this? If they only give 5 units to every retailer then of course it can’t fulfil the demand.
Do we know how much they sold at all?

Its madness.

I remember the PS4 being a blaze to pre-order but to be fair those were all sold out by launch and hard to find for awhile after launch.

I would have been surprised if this hadnt happened honestly.

I'm personally gonna wait a few months. There's no PS5 exclusives that I'm dying to have and the console is bound to have some issues with hardware and software in its first 4-5 months.

Sony maybe but not MS, after the 3 red rings debacle from the 360 era MS has upper their game when it comes to hardware.

I’ve owned all of the different versions of Xbox one this gen and they all hold up really well and are whisper quit even after hours of playing.

If it’s going to be like the switch, resellers are gonna keep them out of hands of people that actually want em for some time to come as well.

Sony and MS should do direct sales like Apple and just push dates as you order. Take some pressure off.

These will actually be easy to buy from resellers, if I didn’t have a pre-order already I would have brought one from a reseller for like $600-$700 because that’s better than stalking Twitter for pre-order updates, dealing with bots and camping outside.

Although, resellers are a part of this problem...smh

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It's a fucking plastic box. You'll get one eventually.

If I don’t have one, they underestimated demand.

im still pissed off at Sony for not sending an invite to me.

Should've spent more digital money on ps4 so Sony could have made you exclusive member.

Last edited:

sendit

This can absolutely be avoided by limiting per household. Additionally, Gamestop is a scummy company by having in store pre-order events during covid. Just shitty PR for people to come in to their dying stores.

PS5 will even outsell the PS4 going by all the metrics I have seen, at least for the first few years.

After then, it's a question of whether Sony can keep up with PS4's steller 2nd half of its life in terms of exclusives and 3rd party exclusive content/marketing deals.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They sold people on PS5 during the PS4 generation. Despite all the recent noise I don't think people understand the momentum Sony has with the PS5 right now.

In Europe the demand is insane. Out pacing the PS4 by a wide margin according to anecdotal reports. But what amazes me is that they're maintaining this momentum during a world wide pandemic.

I had several people in my team (U.K.) that usually never switch console beside generation changes switching to PS5 digital edition (PS4 attracted them but their mates abd them already had an Xbox One and this was the generation change opportunity I guess).

XSS has been something they all avoided and the choice was only between XSX and PS5 with the PS5 digital edition having console price advantage and PS4 mindshare so they made the switch (as I said they only buy a console per generation normally so just because they did not switch earlier, it did not mean the console had no effect on them).

Last edited:

Roufianos

That's probably all they can produce. Pre-order demand is just crazy high due to everyone being stuck at home and people remembering how difficult it was to find a Switch / PS4 at launch. Same reason why XSX is also sold out.

Last edited:

DeeDogg_

Banned
They obviously purposely understocked retailers so idiots can write clickbait articles about how PS5 is the second coming of Christ. I’ll just wait until they resupply retailers

Yeah PS5 demand is crazy, selling out in seconds - minutes globally

Meanwhile series x/s is still available for launch on many countries, like some biggest retailers on some countries have less than 1000 series x preorders so far (https://m.alza.sk/xbox-series-x-d5624941.htm like slovakia) and on same site PS5 launch units have sold out + later batches have 4000-5000 preorders total already) so it could be even +10:1 ratio or more, depending the amount of launch units they had.

So IF ps5:xbox ratio is more like 10:1 instead of 2:1 at EU like I would have estimated before launch= no wonder they are sold out so fast

So yeah, it is underestimated but maybe even if they would have had 20million units available they would have been sold out in minutes

That's probably all they can produce. Pre-order demand is just crazy high due to everyone being stuck at home and people remembering how difficult it was to find a Switch / PS4 at launch. Same reason why XSX is also sold out.

Xsx is not sold out globally.

And switch werent either, big difference on selling out at us+some places vs whole world.

Here switches have been easily available since the launch, even on launch week you could walk into random store and buy em. (Maybe not on capital city but most places)

Last edited:

FranXico

They obviously purposely understocked retailers so idiots can write clickbait articles about how PS5 is the second coming of Christ. I’ll just wait until they resupply retailers
Funny, because MS stocked XSX even less (in some places less than half than PS5) and there was A LOT of clickbait and youtubeturfers shouting HOW HOT and HOW MUCH CRAZY DEMAND FOR XBOX there was the same day.

Last edited:

Ellery

Corona created a void that made people thirsty and lust for materialistic compensation is a world of restrictions.

When even the Xbox Series X and the super expensive RTX 3090 are sold out in europe and japan you know that people are hungry.

No idea how it is going to look in 2021 and onwards.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Where's the Poll option for "Why the fuck aren't all of those people in line wearing masks?"

Because it‘s easier for a lot of people to pretend Covid isn’t a thing, because otherwise you have to face the fact that a scary, potentially fatal virus is circulating through the human race.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned

The sounds more like a Microsoft tactic to me, come on dee, 110 vs 40 million last generation, who needs the buzz words more,

Who has been the company that has been coming out with all the terrible Pr spin this last year? hint, its not SOny

Whos got exclusive games on release that will sell their system regardless and who does not, come on dee, who needs the buzz more?

And to top it all over, whos a rapid fanboy who loves to talk shit about ps5 but is getting one too. ITS DEE

I’ll just wait until they resupply retailers.
Same shit Dealer and eastwood say, you can't make this shit up.

"lollipop_disappointed:

Last edited:

DeeDogg_

Banned
The sounds more like a Microsoft tactic to me, come on dee, 110 vs 40 million last generation, who needs the buzz words more,
Sony. I don’t think Jimbos Admin knows how to advertise a console properly but to each their own. It is a very clever marketing tactic though. Just executed poorly

DeeDogg_

Banned
Funny, because MS stocked XSX even less (in some places less than half than PS5) and there was A LOT of clickbait and youtubeturfers shouting HOW HOT and HOW MUCH CRAZY DEMAND FOR XBOX there was the same day.
I don’t pay attention to clickbait YTers. Why do you? I guess Ms took an act from Sony’s playbook

MastaKiiLA

They're production limited. No underestimation, just not enough production capacity. Happens every launch. Demand outstrips supply.

yurinka

Wii U sold out at launch and weeks after....
Yes, and Series X preorders are also sold out in Asia. Being sold out at launch doesn't mean anything, it would happen if they just shipped 4 or 5 units.

The thing is that PS4 had shipment and sales record in gaming history for the first weekend/month/FY (~4 months)/full year and seeems Sony increased their PS5 production for launch FY compared to PS4. So even without selling out (not just preorders, I mean real release sales) they may set a new record in gaming history with PS5 launch.

The thing is that we don't know the demand that there is going to be for the first 4 months. They may sell out quickly. And I'd bet they won't be able to increase more their production.

As I remember, PS4 launch weekend sales were 1M, around 4M in the first month or so and around 7M in the first fiscal year (mid Nov. to end of March). I don't remember the PS5 production numbers or Sony estimation shipments for this period, but I bet PS5 will destroy these records.

PS5 is DOOM™ed because Bethesda!
Fixed it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

TimFL

Missing the option: „No, but you can‘t fight the speed of light that is demand for this masterpiece“

yurinka

Do we know any oficial Sony shipment estimation for the FY (until March 31st)? Or how many units are going to manufacture for that period?

I mean from official sources, not the rumors/bullshit from that newspaper already debunked by Sony.
Is the doubling of production by Sony (to 10m-15m consoles until March 2021) too little to meet demand globally in NA, Europe and Asia combined?
Are this 10-15M an official number, the numbers Sony already debunked or a personal guess?

PS4 sold ~7M consoles in that period and was an all time record in gaming history.

Last edited:
I am blessed. Managed to get an online preorder for the XSX and Ps5. I managed to snag that stupid Gamestop ps5 starter bundle after hours of refreshing. I am still afraid gamestop is going to cancel my order.

Top Bottom