• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the Destiny 2 Forsaken reveal do anything for you?

jbortz78

Only making me angry because they’re doing the same thing again. Releasing an unfinished/lacking game and then releasing a so called expansion with stuff that should have been there from the start. The fooled me once with D1. And now they’re doing it again....

Shifty

As someone who hopped in with the recent humble sale, i'm looking forward to it. Looks like a lot of good changes.

Neolombax

With Neolombaxs post I'll meet halfway and say this is kinda slimey, like a Christmas present covered in dog snot. I'll give some credit for that part being free but my mind is still puzzled how it took four years; The content we are getting for free is stuff we had year 2 of the first game, let's not pretend this is new stuff we get for free.

We also can't pretend like the free update won't still alienate people : Even if you paid $100 day one, you'll still have to pay more for the full experience of what you wanted from Destiny in order to play with friends, clans, run raids etc. Offering new content but core updates free isn't the same as having then at launch when everyone is playing the same game - "You can play what you wanted how it should have been but half the people who would play with you moved on" isn't the same.

There was a rumor that D2 already went into production before/during the time of the Taken King, hence why we did not see most of the improvement that we already had by Y3 being carried over into D2. True this isn't new, but for me personally, D2 was already made the way it was and nothing can change that. The fact that the current team was willing to change the base game closer to what we had in D1 is always a plus point.

I'd also argue that D2 on its own was already a full experience. It may not be the best experience, but it was complete. I can see where you're coming from, but isn't this almost always the case with MMO game models?

Anyways, I just wanted to point this out to folks out there to clear this misconception. How folks perceive the game as a whole now is totally up to one's interpretation. It really is unfortunate how Destiny came to its current state, but it is improving at least.

Morinaga

Sounds the same as the Taken King expansion from Destiny 1 with a different wrapper.

Ill play the game in 2 years once they stop reselling the same content, and its on sale.

ultrazilla

So far, I love what I'm seeing with "Forsaken". As for the complaints on the annual passes I just don't understand why players think they'd get basically another new game(the annual pass has like what? 3 expansions and Forsaken on it?) for free. Trust me, I know it's not cheap and sometimes I struggle financially but the days of getting endless, free add on content are LONG GONE.

Besides, I view Destiny as a "World of Warcraft" type massive MMO/FPS hybrid and IMHO I'll gladly pay anywhere from $40-$100 for versions of the annual pass compared to a $10 a month required
subscription fee to play the game($120 for the year). I was actually afraid Activision and Bungie were going to go the monthly paid subscription model or "free to play" with Destiny and neither one
was acceptable to me.

So the annual pass(at least for me) is a great compromise and something I welcome over the other options we *could* have gotten above.

Veteran Destiny players by now should have a firm grasp on this concept. Otherwise players are free to not purchase the content and be happy with what they have.

Terce

$99 Collectors Edition
$99 Collectors Edition for a friend
$50 food
$50 alcohol
$30 Funko Pops
$25 Eververse Cash
$20 TShirt

With all due respect man, you only paid $100 for the game. You also gave $100 to a friend and bought a bunch of extra crap completely unrelated and not at all required for the game.

It's a $60 game, no one else's fault but your own that you wasted 5 times that.

Yeah, no.

The first season's DLC was a joke. I doubt they're fixing that for free.

I'll check back on Destiny 2 in 2020.

Curse of Osiris may not be a great piece of DLC. But there's nothing broken about it that requires a fix.
By "fix" in my previous post i meant the quality of life changes. And those are for everyone.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Gambit sounds pretty great after thinking about it for a while. That could be fun. I won't be getting back into destiny till they totally have an actual complete edition.

VertigoOA

Banned
I want them to go the subscription model already so everyone can just shut the fuck up. It’s not hard to understand. The revenue stream would also help provide content more timely but I don’t think the consumer for that is quite there on consoles yet.

Last edited:
Looks cool but since I have no friends and can't be bothered to schedule gaming time with others, Incan scratch my itch with an hour of crucible and some strikes without having to pay for dlc.

Catphish

After being all-in for the Destiny 2 release, I couldn't be less interested in the game now.

They blew it. I'm done.

OH-MyCar

As someone who screwed up, bought the season pass and has barely even played it: I started off that video a bit more pessimistic than I ended it (although I hate those "fun & relatable" scripted dev bits for anything).

I need a far bigger reason to feel enthusiastic again than that video, but I logged back in last night for the first time since release. I guess that has to count for something.

Future

New enemies and races should have been in vanilla destiny 2. I also bought the season pass, and the biggest slap in the face was just how samey the experience was in minute one. They had minor tweaks to some enemies but it was mostly the same. Guns were like this too for the most part.

The fact I need to pay another $75 for a full year of content..... really curious how that will work out for them. No way I’m gonna do that after paying $90 for a season pass that didn’t really lead to much. And we all know $35 for the base dlc or whatever is gonna last maybe 2 months before it’s out of date due to updates that require the years worth of content.

So hard pass unless the game blows minds

MDSLKTR

We dialed it a little too much lol
Bungie and there Vidocs man.
It's so masturbatory. Still, after watching the vidoc... sigh... I'm in as soon as there's a black Friday sale. Can't miss bow and arrow action with destiny gameplay.

Tomeru

I recently got back in. I'm glad I did. This is looking to be an amazing xpac - preorder preordered.

Garnox

I never left. I joined the D1 train four months before D2 released and played the hell out of it in the summer (I’m a teacher)

Once D2 came out, I didn’t really truly feel like I was leaving much behind in the way of time/progress/memories... so I didn’t feel the slight many felt.

So I continued to play while many left. Even though I knew many things were lacking from the short time I invested in D1, I still enjoyed the overall experience. Hoping that at some point D2 will be where D1 left off at year 3.

With the Forsaken, I’m stoked. The game I enjoy on a weekly basis is about to get a whole lot better. Meanwhile, those who played D1 from day 1, I can understand their Destiny fatigue.

At this point I don’t think they’re bringing a whole lot more to the table than what fans previously endured during the D1 dry spells. So I can’t blame them for not wanting to grind out the wait until it gets back to the “good ol’ days”.

I HOPE Bungie has learned a valuable lesson and once D3 comes out, they won’t hit that reset button and instead just carry the momentum at year 3 D2 into the next.

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
The DLC for 40 is expected. The annual pass bullshit was not. I think they've miscalculated exactly how much the community will take when they're basically charging for seasonal events we were all told Eververse was supposed to fund. It was a poor reveal dropping the annual pass with little to no info on what it truly is and why they need to charge for it on top of continuing the Eververse scam going at the same time. Imo they'd honestly be better off charging a flat monthly fee instead of this confusing shit.

VertigoOA

Banned
No. Seasonal events are separate. The annual pass includes actual endgame content including raid lairs. They clarified that today also.

Destiny faux outrage. Nothing new

ickythingz

Banned
Nope. Got this game for free with my 1080ti, played it for 5 minutes and uninstalled. Nothing this dev does is interesting nor fun. They are in it to rape you of money and it shows.

CuNi

I wanted to give the expension a shot and when they said smaller updates in-between I was stoked.. Killed my enthusiasm when they revealed another season pass.. Me and the whole clan just agreed that we're done with D2. There are better games with better balancing and end game content for far less money than destiny. Good old bungie days are truly over it seems..

jadedm17

With all due respect man, you only paid $100 for the game. You also gave $100 to a friend and bought a bunch of extra crap completely unrelated and not at all required for the game.

First off I'd like to say - as Jim Sterling repeats - that $60 is an entry fee, let's be honest that $99 is the real price for a lot of games, namely anything AAA : Assassins Creed, Call of Duty, Fallout 4, etc. The complete experience is locked behind a season pass, normally $30-40.

Besides that I'll agree 100% but also say that "extra crap" is highly influenced : Fortnite is a free game I LOVE but I have a friend $300 in because skins are cool or something.

The problem isn't I spent $300, it's that I spent that getting a shell of a game that made so much progress in year one to destroy it all with a sequel, to then charge more for content outside the season pass but release a patch to play the game how it should have been ~9 months ago but that $99 you spent doesnt cover playing the new content with the update : Play old content with a severed base or pay more to finally play the game you wanted.

You can speak how you want but as someone who played over 1000 hours of Destiny 1 happily (it had issues but got addressed quickly enough and free to make me happy) it's my choice to find this all nonsense and rant it to anyone willing to listen in hopes to save their time and go to a game that respects them more.

Enjoy what you like but as far as Destiny it's far too little too late for me; I'm out. Fortnite is offering better updates free to a free game, I'm gonna throw my money at them for now.

I wanted to give the expension a shot and when they said smaller updates in-between I was stoked.. Killed my enthusiasm when they revealed another season pass.. Me and the whole clan just agreed that we're done with D2. There are better games with better balancing and end game content for far less money than destiny. Good old bungie days are truly over it seems..

My exact thoughts : I'm not saying Destiny 2 isn't worth your time or money, I'm saying there are many games that are far more deserving of both.

Last edited:
I've always been intrigued by Destiny, except it has one big problem: no single player campaign.

That's the reason why as good as they look, I don't pay for a game that I can't play alone or were I to not be connected online...

It's a shame really, because I would certainly have been playing Overwatch, Battlefront I or Destiny...

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I've always been intrigued by Destiny, except it has one big problem: no single player campaign.

That's the reason why as good as they look, I don't pay for a game that I can't play alone or were I to not be connected online...

It's a shame really, because I would certainly have been playing Overwatch, Battlefront I or Destiny...
You can do the entire campaign single player though...

Games like this are not about the campaign. The campaign is a prelude to the endgame. The endgame is about the grind.
You would probably hate it. But yeah, you can play any of the story missions alone.

Actually it did. Xbox player here and we have a work guild that gets together every now and then. We're about to do the current content and are hyped about the forsaken. I mean its not the best game ever but its solid mechanics, music is great. Graphics are good and groups are fun. Story is like playing a B sci-fi movie with a more agency. Am I as hyped as I was for the D2 base game. No.

Toe-Knee

I played the entirety of destiny 1 & 2 solo bar the raids and had a great time.

Not at all. The gameplay loop is boring. Their content pipeline is laughable compared to other service games, especially on PC. Their monetization is obscene and I don't see myself ever touching the series again. I'm not completely closed off to it but between Elder Scrolls Online, Guild Wars 2, Path of Exile, Warframe and The Division? No thanks. It's not worth my time.

It's definitely not a $60 game. They might as well make the season pass mandatory if you're playing it in any serious capacity. Between the time gating mechanics and the power creep as a result of light levels constantly going up every 3-6 month... I can't imagine playing the game without the $40 season pass for an entire year.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

What always got me about Destiny 2 was the shallowness of it all. Every system, every mechanic, every aspect. Games like Warframe and The Division are miles ahead in terms of tangible systems that grow and reward the user.

VertigoOA

Banned
GAmes like warframe and Division also play like complete ass.

No worries tho. Destiny 2 will destroy its competitors same way the first game did. Close to toppling the janky Korean sweatshop shooter PUBG on Xbox live this week, but it’s a dead game right? Dumbasses

The cycle repeats itself for the 5th year in a row. Destiny is the most lied about ip by “gamers” I’ve ever witnessed. It’s always real easy to recognize who is completely full of shit and just regurgitating hyperbole and outrage culture.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Liked the game played it day 1 for like 300+ hours.
To many bitching fanboys that cry no content after spending 300+ hours on it.

See you all back in destiny 3.
Cause fuck that fake ass dlc shit

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

Liked the game played it day 1 for like 300+ hours.
To many bitching fanboys that cry no content after spending 300+ hours on it.

See you all back in destiny 3.
Cause fuck that fake ass dlc shit
Thats a long ass day :)

I'll probably play it but killing Cayde is actually a negative for me.

Last edited:
Man, after reading this thread I regret picking up the base game for like $3 ($8 - $5 Best Buy RZ cert). Lol Seriously tho, I think it's simple: Destiny's content pipeline is for people who don't mind being trickle fed scraps for way too much cash for the first couple years. Objectively, you're way better off buying the inevitable Legendary Edition when it drops in 2020 and comes down to $20. I paid $16 for D1 Legendary and feel like I got a great value out of it. Still playing now with a semi-active community. Good times. Had I tried playing it from the start I'd have felt ripped off and burnt out. So, why pick up D2 vanilla? Well...$3. Lol And, altho I know the vanilla game is useless in MP and is largely a Trojan horse into my wallet for the ridiculously over-priced DLC and season pass bullshit, I don't care bc I'm gonna just play thru the SP "campaign" then shelve this shit until I can buy the Legendary Edition for $20 or less. Simple. :)

NickFire

I think Season 2 will crash so hard they will actually wonder if they should have given it to season 1 owners just to save the player base and their reputation. I'm not exaggerating when I say all of my closest online friends bought the season pass and have not even bothered trying the newest content drop, and none of my online friends are ever playing this game. Anecdotes shmamadotes, their filthy greed, failure to innovate, failure to get with the times and have decent sized pvp matches in terms of player counts, and 2004 demands to find friends on forums have destroyed both a once promising franchise and the name Bungie.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Could not care any less for the series. Bought both 1 and 2 and have no more interest in the series. Will not buy dlc, or even the third game. Bungie needs to drop the series and move onto to something else that they can actually do instead of putting out a half assed project and fixing it after the fact.

Could not care any less for the series. Bought both 1 and 2 and have no more interest in the series. Will not buy dlc, or even the third game. Bungie needs to drop the series and move onto to something else that they can actually do instead of putting out a half assed project and fixing it after the fact.

What they need to do is give the next iteration a full dev cycle, quit the saturday morning cartoon writing and stop trying to please people who hate the game.

How is the player count ?
I have to play this game

For PVE it's ok. Patrol areas and strikes are always populated in my experience. PVP is more complicated. Quickplay is ok. Competitive and trials are more tricky. Specially on PC.
I read somewhere player count overall is low. Lower than D1 at its worst. Thanks to bungie's efforts to balance pvp.

Last edited:

jadedm17

I'd also argue that D2 on its own was already a full experience. It may not be the best experience, but it was complete. I can see where you're coming from, but isn't this almost always the case with MMO game models?

Anyways, I just wanted to point this out to folks out there to clear this misconception. How folks perceive the game as a whole now is totally up to one's interpretation. It really is unfortunate how Destiny came to its current state, but it is improving at least.

The actual missions and raids weren't interesting, we were still fighting the same enemies and - even worse to me - they had the same boring A.I.
My biggest issue beyond that was completely boring epic weapons : Icebreaker, Thorn, anything interesting was removed.

I don't argue against it being a complete game, I argue it was a redundant one not worth the money to anyone who played the first game.

I also hated the weapon slot restructuring and toned down multiplayer, that was an odd choice.

How is the player count ?
I have to play this game

My favorite metric is twitch : 6,020 viewers (1100 on the biggest stream)
Minecraft has 7,800 viewers.
Hot Lava (?) has 15,000
Grand Theft Auto V has 33,369 (4500 on biggest stream)
Dota 2 : 74,000
Fortnite : 177,000

I've checked day and night and the numbers don't seem better even at peak hours; It's not a perfect metric but it's also telling of how playing this game on stream will not make you much money if at all.

Edit : 5,000 people are in the top GTA V stream. Almost as many people watching one GTA V stream as the entire collective of Destiny 2 streams.

Last edited:

Redshirt

Banned
Forgot Warfame: 24,404

Even the Guardian Con people play more Warframe and Fortnite and Realm Royale and whatever else than Destiny 2, which says something.

Top Bottom