• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the US Dreamcast 9.9.99 launch have the best launch lineup ever?

Which console had the best launch lineup?

• Atari 2600

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • NES

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Sega Master System

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PC Engine/Turbografx-16

• Megadrive/Genesis

• SNES

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • Jaguar

• 3DO

• Saturn

• PS1

• N64

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Dreamcast

Votes: 48 51.1%
  • PS2

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Gamecube

• Xbox

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Wii

• PS3

• Xbox 360

• Total voters

Zotaku

People have articulated well enough, so I'm just here to put my vote; Dreamcast!

Though, us poor Europeans had to wait for Soul Calibur till the 1st of December, but it was worth the wait!

Jon Neu

Banned
The original Xbox lineup is surprising good too, although it suffers from being released 2 years after the Dreamcast and 1 year after the PS2, meaning there wasn't that "next-gen" leap.

latest

Halo was just not possible on PS2 or Dreamcast. A first person shooter with those unbelievable graphics, those gigantic enviroments, the amount of enemies on screen, the amazing AI, the physics...

That shit was next gen.

It's not really fair to look at the USA launches of the DC or the PS2, they had many more months to get titles ready
I always look at the domestic launch of a console and tbh both the PS2 and DC were dire. Nintendo Snes and N64 launch games were amazing, as was the OG Xbox domestic launch line up

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Game launches are never good, the whole thing frankly is overrated.

- from the perspective of a gamer who games an entire generation.

The Dreamcast was the last console that I ever bought on launch day. Never regretted it. I still have my original Dreamcast as well. The launch line-up was pretty great. Sega did a really good job with the launch titles and launch window games for this system. It's crazy how many games Sega pumped out for this system in a such a short period of time.

I want to say the N64 for Mario 64 and Pilotwings, they were both such great games and both ate so much of my time. Mario 64 revolutionised action games and platformers and is the Mario game I have poured the most hours into. Unfortunately I just listed the entire launch library.

I'd say Switch for Breath of the Wild, but again it was pretty much alone on launch day (though I really liked Snipperclips)

Halo: CE is one of my favorite games now, and I go back to it often, but I skipped on the OG Xbox and didn't play it until after Halo 3 launched. Halo was pretty much alone on launch day though, with only Shrek to really back it up (some would argue that Shrek was the better game) Ron Howard narrates: They didn't.

Dreamcast was the first console I bought on launch day, before that it was always birthday/Christmas or in partnership with my brothers and I think had the most good games. It didn't have a Mario 64, or a Halo, but it had several good games that were worth buying day one.

Soul Calibur was to me not only a revolutionary fighter with the directional step, but also was the biggest leap visually on a console I can think of. It was leagues better than what the N64, PS1, and Saturn had pumped out, and when the PS2 launched soon after the visuals jump was more like a slight bump, especially at launch. It also ran a lot of it's games at 640x480 at a solid 60fps. I played through a VGA box on my PC monitor and in my memory it still the cleanest image I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think it must've been the best. Other launches had more, but the combination of quantity and quality the Dreamcast had is unmatched. Of course, it had the benefit of launching almost a year after it did in Japan, and it had a pretty shitty lineup over there when it came out back in... what was it, November 28, 1998?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The Dreamcast launch was damn impressive, Soul Calibur was jaw dropping.

But the one that really blew me away was that poor ass N64 launch, with only two games. But they were SO good back then, particularly Mario.

Mario 64 beat all that by itself.

Mario 64 was basically an event onto itself at launch. To be honest, it is a better game than Sonic Adventure. I like thing about Sonic Adventure, but no denying that the game suffered from jankiness that made it inferior to Mario 64.

But the problemw ith the N64 launch was the lack of software. In the North American market, the N64 launched with mario 64 and Pilotwings, and nothing else. Wave Race 64 showed up a month later. Midway released Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Crusin' USA and Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey as part of the N64 launch window. Shadow of the Empire and Killer Instinct Gold were also two other launch window games.

Software was so spread out on the N64 that you would see dry spells regularly. Something that wasn't a problem with the Dreamcast.

Dada55000

PS2. Also Sonic Adventure is shit btw.

SSX
Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore
Tekken Tag Tournament
Armored Core 2
Dynasty Warriors 2
Rayman Revolution
ESPN International Track & Field
ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding
Eternal Ring
Evergrace
FantaVision
Gungriffon Blaze
Kessen
Madden NFL 2001
Midnight Club: Street Racing
MotoGP
NHL 2001
Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
Q-Ball: Billiards Master
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
Ridge Racer V
Silent Scope
Smuggler's Run
Street Fighter EX3
Summoner
Swing Away Golf
TimeSplitters
Unreal Tournament
Wild Wild Racing
X-Squad
while I don't care for the DC lineup, I'd that's as bad a list of literally who's as the DC, only there's more of it, and that ain't even the good version of MotoGP

It's a grim reminder that PS2 didn't start in 2001 with GTA3, Dark Alliance, MGS2, SH2 and whatever else, it started with EX3 and Bouncer and other garbage in 2000

they even weirdly mirror each other, like SC and TTT basically served the same graphics showpiece purpose

Sonic Adventure is trash

SpiceRacz

Not even close. I bought mine shortly after launch and it wasn't a disappointment by any means, but that line up was not great even back then. Anyone that's calling it the GOAT launch line up is either lying to themselves or didn't actually own a Dreamcast at launch.

cireza

Got mine at launch with Soul Calibur. Sonic Adventure, Blue Stinger, Power Stone, Marvel vs Capcom were the first games I bought afterwards.

This was definitely one of the best line-ups I have seen, with the original Xbox. Many games in many genres, and it was also a first step towards really good 3D. We finally had a system that was not struggling to present proper 3D, at a proper resolution and framerate. This is the console that propelled video-games in real, decent 3D.

People saying that Sonic Adventure is shit obviously did not play the game back then. It was mind blowing. Scrolling was absurdly fast, 60fps, so many things to do. This game was fun as hell, despite its problems. It was still an early 3D game.

Blue Stinger was also a lot of fun. I will always remember the part where you are in a sort of cold storage and have to find a portable radiator to keep warm. Hilarious.

Soul Calibur looked like the future and pushed the boundaries of what 3D fighters would become. We have not really progressed further than this game in my opinion. Games are more pretty, but in terms of features nothing game changing has happened to the genre.

Power Stone also felt like something impossible before. But you had to be there back then to realize that.

Marvel vs Capcom is the only game that did not feel like an improvement over the Saturn. CPS2 games were better at home on Saturn actually, and this applies to SFZ3 as well. Still a great, fun game.

Very strong line-up and awesome memories. Not even talking about the games that came afterwards. Legendary console.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
1-A41-F706-C2-D8-4231-B94-A-E5127-FC5-DF06.jpg

At launch I had Blue Stinger, Sonic Adventures, Soul Calibur, and Hydro Thunder. Marvel vs Capcom and the arcade stick later on. PS1’s version wouldn’t let you swap the 2P in. I relied on the DC for that. I played a lot of Power Stone, but I didn’t own it. Blue Stinger felt like it had a lot of potential, but it didn’t feel perfect. It didn’t matter. I still remember going to the mall to get Code Veronica. It was a good time.

The PS2 was good because I loved Tekken Tag in the arcade. I didn’t really like Kessen, so it was rough for a while. Onimusha and 2001 helped greatly. At launch I basically had Tekken and Madden. I returned Kessen.

It feels like the Dreamcast had a bunch of awesome launch games. I was hit with delays. Babbages sold out of Sonic and I waited forever for Marvel vs Capcom it seems.

I had the Xbox and GameCube on launch and I had 2-3 games that I really liked. On launch I had Halo and then DOA3. GameCube I had Rogue Squadron and Luigi’s Mansion. It got better later. Launches can often feel slow. The “Greatness” comes later on. I had my N64 with Mario 64 and Pilotwings. They were great, but it felt like I played those same games (including 007 and Turok) for the entire life cycle.

Last edited:

Komatsu

People saying that Sonic Adventure is shit obviously did not play the game back then. It was mind blowing. Scrolling was absurdly fast, 60fps, so many things to do. This game was fun as hell, despite its problems. It was still an early 3D game.

THIS!

Sonic Adventure looked amazing in 1998/9. Emerald Coast, the opening level of SA, was piss-in-your-pants amazing back then.

Visually, it did look amazing. featuring some really impressive looking high resolution textures, a solid framerate and decent looking models. But the game always felt a bit rough in comparison to something like Mario 64. The camera could get quite spastic in Sonic Adventure, the analog controls were a little janky. Also the game had some odd bugs. There are still many things I like about Sonic Adventure, though. It does have some really good stages, mainly for Sonic. Some of the side character objectives are weird though, like Big the cat fishing stages, and Knuckles collect-a-thon game play. I actually liked the hub style levels. Even back then.

Sonic Adventure felt like a good, yet flawed game. I often feel like, some of its glaring issues could have been fixed with a little more QA though. It lacked the polish of something like Mario 64.

Soul Calibur looked like the future and pushed the boundaries of what 3D fighters would become. We have not really progressed further than this game in my opinion. Games are more pretty, but in terms of features nothing game changing has happened to the genre.

Power Stone also felt like something impossible before. But you had to be there back then to realize that.

Nintendo did release Super Smash Bros. on the N64 first. Power Stone dropped in arcades on Sega's NAOMI hardware a month later. The Dreamcast port is basically arcade perfect, if not, better because it has more game modes. I honestly preferred Power Stone over Super Smash Bros. on the N64.

Soul Calibur really was a showpiece for the Dreamcast. Better than the arcade game in every way.

Last edited:

V2Tommy

What? No.

Super Mario 64 and Super Mario World are better "launch lineups" than whatever you're taking about, and I'm not even a huge Nintendo fan.

cireza

Nintendo did release Super Smash Bros. on the N64 first.
I know this but I don't really get the comparison here. Power Stone is something entirely different. It was 1 vs 1 fighting game with greatly interactive backgrounds. Back then, I thought that this would eventually become a major sub-genre for fighting games, and that we would still be playing awesome 1 on 1 games with the same kind of presentation and interactivity with backgrounds and items. But it did not turn out this way.

That’s what the classic had launched with.
Yeah, my Mega Everdrive launched with the entirety of the MegaDrive games, definitely the greatest launch ever.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
2K Football was head and shoulders above Madden after only a few years and EA knew it. That's why they shelled out huge money for exclusive NFL license.

I know this but I don't really get the comparison here.

I was thinking of Power Stone 2 for some reason, which added four players and played somewhat like Smash on the N64. I never really put much time into the original Power Stone. I forgot that it was strictly two player. Not four.

McCheese

Came here to say hell no, then saw the actual line-up, bloody hell that's a solid set of launch titles. It's odd, I can't really remember much about the Dreamcast launch despite picking up the console (with just Sonic Adventure), I guess they really fucked up the advertising around it.

The only thing I do remember was setting my expectations low, as somehow Sony had convinced us all that it wasn't a "real" next-gen console, then I powered the thing up and was blown away by Sonic which well surpassed those expectations (graphically at least).

To think it went on to get Jet Set Radio, Shenmue and PSO (my all-time favourite game) just a year later, and it still fucking flopped.

We dun goofed :(

Sega should really do some SEGA Ages Dreamcast titles so you sods who didn't buy one can make amends, Powerstone 2 on the Switch, PSOv2 HD etc.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Mario 64 was basically an event onto itself at launch. To be honest, it is a better game than Sonic Adventure. I like thing about Sonic Adventure, but no denying that the game suffered from jankiness that made it inferior to Mario 64.

But the problemw ith the N64 launch was the lack of software. In the North American market, the N64 launched with mario 64 and Pilotwings, and nothing else. Wave Race 64 showed up a month later. Midway released Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Crusin' USA and Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey as part of the N64 launch window. Shadow of the Empire and Killer Instinct Gold were also two other launch window games.

Software was so spread out on the N64 that you would see dry spells regularly. Something that wasn't a problem with the Dreamcast.

Sonic Adventure didn't even hold up to Mario 64 at the time, even coming out 3 years later. It had weird glitches and would stutter/freeze in spots. I remember each characters playthrough being pretty short as well. I bought a Dreamcast for that game and it was a disappointment even then. I'll always have a soft spot for it though.

One of the biggest misconceptions about the console is that it was pumping out all of these amazing games, when the truth is that it was great at pumping out B level games and arcade-style experiences.

Kazza

Even though I did get the Dreamcast about a week after launch, along with Sonic Adventure and Virtua Fighter 3tb, the rest of the European launch line up here wasn't great.

I'd go for the European Xbox launch which included games like Jet Set Radio Future, Halo: Combat Evolved, Project Gotham Racing, Dead or Alive 3, and RalliSport Challenge.

I think the European Dreamcast lineup is pretty close to the US one. Sega Rally 2 is a nice inclusion (despite the port not being the best) and Dynamite Cop wold have been great for beat'em up fans. Soulcalibur and NFL 2K being swapped out for VF3tb and UEFA Striker is definitely a step down though. I know Toy Commander has its fans.

You're right about the Xbox European launch having a great selection of games:

Last edited:
Soul Calibur was the most exciting launch title I can think of.
Certainly the Dreamcast was the only console I ever bought at launch - though I did get a fair bit of that cost covered by an Electronics Boutique trade in deal, they had going at the time.

Kazza

Does anyone know why the Japanese launch was so rushed? That Gamespot video I linked in the OP talks about how everyone was laughing at the Dreamcast at the time of the Japanese launch due to its awful lineup. Even the months afterwards experienced an N64-style barren release schedule. With the relative success of the Saturn there, it seems they could have just held off until 9.9.99 for the Japanese launch too.

GV82

Not sure about the Games lineup but in the UK I remember the feverish excitement for the launch of Wii, suddenly even people at work who weren’t even into gaming & would often be snobby when I would talk about games to colleagues my age, when the Wii came out they were begging me for information about it & where to buy it, sadly I couldn’t help much as I wasn’t interested in the Wii at the time whoops, so wasn’t paying attention to it yet here I was having the hype pushed onto me by non gamers (yes I bought one eventually 2yrs later)

There was stories of those colleagues as mentioned even travelling a couple of hundred miles to somewhere north England on the weekend to buy one for their children and even themselves how they got two systems I don’t know must have been different stores, even my uncle got ripped off on eBay Trying to buy a Wii for his daughter.

More so than the ps2 anyway from what I remember even though amongst gamers I am sure it was amongst the most hyped ever, the Wii broke through to casual & non gamers even before release.

Videospel

Wow, that is so cringey. "It's already figuring out how to beat you". I can't believe it used to be an advertising tactic that the games were hard. And look at all those comments for the games... "Hot Chicks. Massive Weapons" "Rain, Sleet, Snow and 350HP Engines". Yeah dude, extreme.

Grinchy

Banned
Man, I wish I liked this launch more. I was about 16, had a license, and had worked for a couple years already and had my own money. I bought my own console and a handful of launch games while Toys R Us was doing a Buy2/Get1 free deal.

Even being only 16 and being totally hyped and buying the system with my own hard-earned money, I just didn't completely care for the games. Sonic Aventure looked amazing but played horribly. Ready 2 Rumble looked great but was so barebones. Soul Calibur was clearly an awesome title, but for someone who wasn't into fighting games, it just didn't scratch many itches. I could go on with the list of games I bought and didn't care for, but the point in the end is that I ended up selling the system and all games to recoup as much of my money as I could.

petran79

Banned
I remember buying one in 2003 and even back then most of the games were relevant due to the arcade nature and high replay value.

For those sort of games it had indeed the best line-up.

Just like SF2 played a big part in snes sales, I'd say even more than smw and VF2 in Sega saturn sales, SC was the last fighting game to do this.

IKSTUGA

They have been pretty terrible lately. N64 with Mario 64 is probably my pick. Nostalgia is a nice drug.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
It probably did.

The DC was the last of the arcade(y) game consoles and I miss it a lot.

It was truly a juggernaut and the last game console I remember being completely excited about.

Granted the PS2 came after that and it's also one of my favorites of all time. But the DC had this magic aura over it, I can't quite define it. Never had one in its prime but I corrected that mistake 10 years later.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I think the Dreamcast has some of the best launch lineup, it was so exciting at this time to get your hands on a new system. Going from n64 ps1 and Saturn to this was mind blowing.

Nowaday, changes from generation to another are less effective. Game takes a LOT of time to get developed and we're also stuck with online BS, F2P, lootbox and mtx.. Paid services.

Gaming back then was different.

bobone

Man 1999 feels like yesterday.

Dreamcast had a great launch. Definitely in the top 3.

I think OG Xbox was a bit better by launching with the killer app of the entire system. And Cell Damage is super underrated. I spent just as much time playing that with friends as I did with Halo.

Dazrael

The launch of the Dreamcast was so special but I ended up not being able to wait for the UK release and got a Japanese machine with Sonic Adventure, Sega Rally 2 and Power Stone. System launches don’t seem to have the power now as they did back then.

trikster40

Not even close. PS2 by far:

• Armored Core 2 (Agetec, Action)
  • DOA2: Hardcore (Tecmo, Fighting)
  • Dynasty Warriors 2 (Koei, Action)
  • ESPN International Track and Field (Konami, Sports)
  • ESPN X-Games Snowboarding(Konami, Sports)
  • Eternal Ring (Agetec, RPG)
  • Evergrace (Agetec, RPG)
  • FantaVision (SCEI, Puzzle)
  • Gun Griffon Blaze (Working Designs, Action)
  • Kessen (EA, Adventure)
  • Madden NFL 2001 (EA, Sports)
  • Midnight Club (Rockstar, Racing)
  • Moto GP (Namco, Racing)
  • NHL 2001 (EA, Sports)
  • Orphen (Activision, RPG)
  • Q-Ball Billiards Master (Take-Two Interactive, Simulation)
  • Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2(Midway, Sports)
  • Ridge Racer V (Namco, Racing)
  • Silent Scope (Konami, Shooter)
  • Smuggler's Run (Rockstar, Racing-Adventure)
  • SSX (EA, Sports)
  • Street Fighter EX3 (Capcom, Fighting)
  • Summoner (THQ, RPG)
  • Swing Away (Paradise Golf in Japan) (EA, Sports)
  • Tekken Tag Tournament (Namco, fighting)
  • TimeSplitters (Eidos, First-Person Shooter)
  • Unreal Tournament (Infogrames, First-Person Shooter)
  • Wild Wild Racing (Interplay, Racing)
  • X-Squad (EA, Action)
Of that list, I think I bought almost 20 of them (the ones in bold). I managed a Software Etc at the time and we got 25% discount, so 4 were basically free. That launch was insane.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

The Dreamcast launch was great. I bought my Dreamcast on 9/9/99 with Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur and Blue Stinger.

I do feel the Xbox launch was slightly better though. I bought my Xbox on launch day with Halo CE, Dead or Alive 3 and Project Gotham Racing (Metropolis Street Racing was my favorite racing game on the DC).

Petrae

It’s all a matter of perspective. For me, Sonic Adventure was leaps and bounds above what I had seen to that point, in terms of graphics and sound. As a huge arcade games fan, seeing Midway’s biggest hits like NFL Blitz, Hydro Thunder, and Mortal Kombat on launch day was amazing— and all of these looked and ran better than their inferior console counterparts. SoulCalibur was not only the arcade game at home, but improved upon. NFL 2K was next generation football for the first time, and was a huge improvement on Madden.

A lot of folks are mentioning the N64 launch and Super Mario 64, but that sadly never connected with me like it did for practically everyone else; I strongly disliked the abrupt switch to open environments from the more focused levels in earlier games and lost interest in Mario 64 quickly. I played a lot more of Pilotwings 64 and enjoyed it despite not being very good at it.

From my view, there needs to be both quality and quantity at launch to qualify. Dreamcast and PS2 both satisfy this requisite. Much as I love the SNES and the PlayStation, there wasn’t enough quantity for me to consider them.

mcjmetroid

Sonic Adventure didn't even hold up to Mario 64 at the time, even coming out 3 years later. It had weird glitches and would stutter/freeze in spots. I remember each characters playthrough being pretty short as well. I bought a Dreamcast for that game and it was a disappointment even then. I'll always have a soft spot for it though.

One of the biggest misconceptions about the console is that it was pumping out all of these amazing games, when the truth is that it was great at pumping out B level games and arcade-style experiences.

This 100%. Sega were still releasing arcade style games without a whole lot of depth in an age where games were starting to get more cinematic... And Shenmue.

Whereas the PlayStation had new franchises with new levels of depth like Metal Gear Solid.

I like the Dreamcast for it's classic style games in a more modern age but that was also the issue with it.
People say the best games are games like Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur etc. All fantastic games in their right but didn't evolve the medium.

Even something like Sonic Adventure lacked the depth and complexity of something like Ape Escape or Spyro for the PS1.

Sega were stuck in the arcades besides Shenmue which was groundbreaking for the time.

Komatsu

With all due respect, I don't understand how someone can look at the SNES launch line-up with THREE games, one of which (Pilotwings) was boring as hell, and say it was better than the DC's. Or that Sonic Adventure did not "hold up" to Mario 64 - a game with deeply imprecise controls, almost no textures (a lot of it was Gouraud shading) and that struggled to remain at 30FPS at 320x240. Sonic Adventure is indeed very janky, but - really? really?

BlackTron

The Dreamcast amazingly made me excited for a new game console again at the same level the N64 did, which came out when I was 11.

I don't think anything can really top Mario 64 for sheer legendary status of a launch title, this single game + hardware combo was just some earth-shattering shit. But Dreamcast had the best overall launch lineup. Hell, even if you got no game with it, Dreamcast was enough to feel like an epic launch based solely on the packed in demo disk.

Say what you want but I totally ate up Sonic Adventure's soundtrack, fast paced gameplay and gorgeous graphics. I quickly amassed a little stack of games including Soul Calibur, and I rode out the gen on Dreamcast right up to Gamecube in 01. I never got my own PS2, I was too bitter over Sega's fall!

PS2 launch was a joke.

Gamecube's launch was utterly tepid and would have been a huge letdown for me if not for Rogue Squadron II, which remains a gen-leading title for me. GC was essentially Star Wars and Smash system lol. Coming after Dreamcast I wasn't that impressed with how it turned out.

Xbox pulled off an classic 90's style launch with a brand new killer-app IP with an iconic character. This was a lot of fun to see. Chief sits among Mario, Sonic and Link now, that's gaming history.

But come on. Even my dad and sister played the Dreamcast. Nothing was ever cooler than that shit. Fucking Soul Calibur!

Top Bottom