• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you ever have any multiplayer grudge matches with your friends that got heated (home or arcade)?

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Scenario: You have a friend or friends over when you're younger for some couch multiplayer but there is some issue you guys have going with each other not related to gaming that boils to the surface while you're playing,

you start taking shots at each other and then bam, before you know it, fists are flying everywhere and you went from a friendly gaming session to battle to the death

chris-farley-angry.gif

I'll also settle for stories that happened at the arcade and didn't necessarily escalate to violence. Just intense gaming battles that erupted from real life anger

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No fists thrown with friends.

But my bros and I would punch or tackle each other after one person won. It got to a hilarious point, the winner would be half running away as the last seconds counted down playing hockey or baseball.

10-9-8..... winner drops NES or Genesis pad and runs off..... loser gets up and chases winner.

pramod

Banned
Yeah a while back i used to play Command and Conquer with my coworker friends after work hours. I kept tank rushing this one dude and he got so frustrated he screamed F YOU so loud the whole floor heard it. I stopped playing him after that since i was worried of him going over the edge.

Btw he went to work for Naughty Dog and made a lot of money.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah a while back i used to play Command and Conquer with my coworker friends after work hours. I kept tank rushing this one dude and he got so frustrated he screamed F YOU so loud the whole floor heard it. I stopped playing him after that since i was worried of him going over the edge.

Only time my friends and I got pissy was playing EA NHL on Genesis. We did tournaments every so often where we'd play all night round robin and do playoff tree brackets.

Of course, the guys who had a Genesis with the game were clearly better. And the gamers who only played NHL when they came over to one of our houses stunk at it.

It was obvious 3 of of us would be battling for winner and the other 2-3 would be battling for the bottom. Everyone knew this but played anyway and we had to keep goals for and against to separate anyone with the same WL records for ranking purposes.

It got to a point, one guy who'd get plastered every game, just got up during the first period, just dropped the controller, walked away to the kitchen and never played the tournaments ever again. He didnt even say a word. From there on he just watched. We all laughed. Good guy though. He still hung with us.

Back when SFII hit consoles, if you chose Guile and that cheap shit you were banned from your turn for a round and yes everyone was out to get you physically.

You don't pass the controller quick enough after your loss then yes you were getting smacked from all sides.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Back when SFII hit consoles, if you chose Guile and that cheap shit you were banned from your turn for a round and yes everyone was out to get you physically.

You don't pass the controller quick enough after your loss then yes you were getting smacked from all sides.
I played SFII a lot back then (SNES version). What was the Guile cheap shit moves? Flash kick? Sonic Boom spamming?

That game was so skewed to certain characters. Everyone who played took Ryu, Ken, Guile. Sometimes Chun Li. I took Blanka a lot though. Underrated character with weird moves and that long reach crouching strong punch I spammed a lot. LOL. It didnt really have any frames of animation to notice it coming. Haha.

Last edited:
I played SFII a lot back then (SNES version). What was the Guile cheap shit moves? Flash kick? Sonic Boom spamming?

That game was so skewed to certain characters. Everyone who played took Ryu, Ken, Guile. Sometimes Chun Li. I took Blanka a lot though. Underrated character with weird moves and that long reach crouching strong punch I spammed a lot. LOL. It didnt really have any frames of animation to notice it coming. Haha.

Just selecting him as a character. Spot on, it was sonic boom, jump back kick and flash kick that created a roadblock character. There was very little to counter a player good with Guile back then. Guile was like easy win mode and if not an instant win then made for really stale games anyhow. We did have a mate that went on to perfect Dhalsim and was a total bastard to play against for a bit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just selecting him as a character. Spot on, it was sonic boom, jump back kick and flash kick that created a roadblock character. There was very little to counter a player good with Guile back then. Guile was like easy win mode and if not an instant win then made for really stale games anyhow. We did have a mate that went on to perfect Dhalsim and was a total bastard to play against for a bit.
Back then, aside from people choosing Dhalsim just for fun I knew zero people using him actively.

Every once in a while I'd test out Zangief. A shit character against projectile characters. But if you could in close and spam that swan dive jump to get close and do piledrivers it was super effective. One of those characters you'd either get plastered, or destroy the opponent.

I did my share of fighting games back in the 90s with SF and Tekken, but always thought SF games would be so much better without projectile moves. I still dont get why some have it and some dont, and it's obvious the characters with it have gamers spamming them for long distance hits and defensive moves. Such a weird move set for fighting games.

drezz

4 Brothers
Knuckle brawls where common, over something as simple as "Ghosting" on each others screens... Through cardboard splitters etc.

We still play a whole bunch of games togheter.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

Did he ever threaten to smash your head with a golf stick?

anothertech

89d43eda3036f58b5020e92bd4acf3528db32fed.gifv

Big Kid pushed my little cousin off street fighter when I was 14. Started playing his game. I grabbed him and tossed him under the pinball machines. Those things were some heavy duty shit. Kid hit his head trying to get up sounded like a steel drum. He got pissed and His buddies came to his rescue.

Then we had a bout of real street fighter there in the arcade. Was very memorable and surreal moment hearing the arcade cabinet shout 'Fight' as we squared off. lol

My cousin's and I talk about it all the time decades later. It was the day we defeated Felix and his gang in the old arcade haha.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I remember playing Tekken 2 at one my relatives house and everyone was talking about how good he is at the game and I’ve beaten him first round easily then felt bad for him and had to let him win.

Sleepwalker

My whole teens was spent betting money on PES/winning eleven matches with friends on the PS2.

It was the best of times it was the blurst times.

Apart from that, had a heated argument with another team at an esports world cup but it didnt become physical tho it almost did lol.

Danknugz

sonic boom over and over again, when they try and jump it, either flash kick or down + FP, if they turtle, start throwing them

Last edited:
No fists thrown with friends.

But my bros and I would punch or tackle each other after one person won. It got to a hilarious point, the winner would be half running away as the last seconds counted down playing hockey or baseball.

10-9-8..... winner drops NES or Genesis pad and runs off..... loser gets up and chases winner.
Omg I do remember the younger brother getting ready to run as the game is ending hahahah

Thaedolus

Gold Member
My older bro spit on me when I beat him in Mortal Kombat II once, one of the only times I heard my dad drop an f bomb when I told him…

I was also friends with a pair of brothers who were closer in age and highly competitive baseball players. They got absolutely pissed at each other playing Baseball Simulator 1,000 at my house. We ended up taking it outside to our front lawn, another friend recorded the fight while I refereed. That video has become the stuff of legend over the years, it’s hilarious watching now but at the time I ended up turning on the sprinklers to finally break them up

Fuz

Banned
Not really heated, but after his 99th match lost in KoF97 my best friend silently unplugged the pad, threw it into the wardrobe and we never played any vs anymore.

I believe the correct spam shit moveset is... slow sonic boom, jumping hard kick, crouching hard kick (which hits twice), light flash kick which pushes you back so you can start the whole bullshit combo again. I just did this yesterday to a dude who was painting my house and saw that I had an arcade cabinet and wanted to run some SF2 matches. It's INSANELY fun to run that for one match but it's bullshit if you keep doing it lmao.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Never heated. But there absolutely was an unspoken competition in Blops back in the Xbox 360 days, where we kept leapfrogging each other’s level. Who could prestige first and all that.

Top Bottom