• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you know? : Metal Gear Solid's Cut Content Ft. David Hayter!

RAIDEN1

Can only imagine what more Kojima could have done if indeed he had the opportunity to build MGS 3 from the ground up for the PS3

Can only imagine what more Kojima could have done if indeed he had the opportunity to build MGS 3 from the ground up for the PS3
Im pretty sure that fact is wrong, when the first mgs3 trailer happen, the ps2 was not even 3 years old, si the story he was tires of waiting for the ps3 is kinda bullshit

God I miss Metal Gear

Come back Snake
Anything remade or made anew today would be an entirely different cast with entirely different gameplay. It would either alienate all of the older fans like those on this forum or it will alienate newer audiences meaning less sales, which makes it a lose-lose either way. Unless by some miracle the property gets a really, really great new entry similar to God of War 2018, I'd be fine with just ports or a remaster of the older entries.

EDMIX

Amazing video.

Ditto. They put out amazing content.

Agreed.

I could have sworn they already did a MGS one, I recall seeing one and I'm like 99% sure it was from this channel. I knew like 80% of what was said, twas a great video as I like hearing those type of facts regarding gaming. I'm not shocked a lot of sound stuff would be cut as it probably took up a ton of space, but not surprised Kojima took full advantage of the hardware to do some crazy shit lol

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Kojima being Kojima.

One of the reasons I really dislike the shift to Open World. You can only do this kind of attention to detail in smaller games. Kojima should have really stuck to and focus on those.

EDMIX

Kojima being Kojima.

One of the reasons I really dislike the shift to Open World. You can only do this kind of attention to detail in smaller games. Kojima should have really stuck to and focus on those.

Maybe, maybe not.

A lot of that stuff you can still do in an open world, it would simply be limited to the areas where missions are in or something, like he needs to save someone in some building and in there a bunch of easter eggs and gadgets are used and found etc. MGSV still had a ton of easter eggs that he is known for, like references to PT, Zone Of Enders and ton of stuff.

I do agree that when you get to a larger scope, a lot of that is more spread out, but the detail of those features can still be in the game as I don't know why that would be an either or. In a linear game its just more obvious, but not exclusive to the concept, like Mother Base in MGSV is still more detailed then any other level ever created in the MGS series and its just 1 element in the title. So I don't know if I'd say you get less detail, I'd argue you have more attention to detail considering how much needs to be made compared to when it was linear. I like the linear stuff btw, but I'm happy he got the chance to do something different, i don't think any artist should ever stick to focusing on 1 concept, let him try out open world and spread those ideas and go back to linear when he has a great idea.

RAIDEN1

Maybe, maybe not.

A lot of that stuff you can still do in an open world, it would simply be limited to the areas where missions are in or something, like he needs to save someone in some building and in there a bunch of easter eggs and gadgets are used and found etc. MGSV still had a ton of easter eggs that he is known for, like references to PT, Zone Of Enders and ton of stuff.

I do agree that when you get to a larger scope, a lot of that is more spread out, but the detail of those features can still be in the game as I don't know why that would be an either or. In a linear game its just more obvious, but not exclusive to the concept, like Mother Base in MGSV is still more detailed then any other level ever created in the MGS series and its just 1 element in the title. So I don't know if I'd say you get less detail, I'd argue you have more attention to detail considering how much needs to be made compared to when it was linear. I like the linear stuff btw, but I'm happy he got the chance to do something different, i don't think any artist should ever stick to focusing on 1 concept, let him try out open world and spread those ideas and go back to linear when he has a great idea.
For me if you had to compare level of immersion between MGS 5 and 3, then there is only one winner ..."3"....just saying.

EDMIX

For me if you had to compare level of immersion between MGS 5 and 3, then there is only one winner ..."3"....just saying.

Its hard for me to say, I have a bias on 3 as its easily one of my favorite games of all time lol

I'd need to see it running in Fox Engine...then I'd have to really think about that one lol

I'm immersed in both I'd say... different games, different settings, but both have reasons to keep you sucked in and focused. In MGS3, i know all the areas and where everyone will be and its still fun, but in MGSV, I love the randomness of not knowing when a patrol truck will roll by or a storm or if my plan to cut out the lights will work so I need to keep my guard up, so I love the concept and if they ever remade MGS3, I'd love for it to have some of that freedom like cutting the lights, random weather, having to eat the snakes to survive the night or something or random guards leaving and showing up etc.

They both get the job done for what they both aimed for.

RAIDEN1

Its hard for me to say, I have a bias on 3 as its easily one of my favorite games of all time lol

I'd need to see it running in Fox Engine...then I'd have to really think about that one lol

I'm immersed in both I'd say... different games, different settings, but both have reasons to keep you sucked in and focused. In MGS3, i know all the areas and where everyone will be and its still fun, but in MGSV, I love the randomness of not knowing when a patrol truck will roll by or a storm or if my plan to cut out the lights will work so I need to keep my guard up, so I love the concept and if they ever remade MGS3, I'd love for it to have some of that freedom like cutting the lights, random weather, having to eat the snakes to survive the night or something or random guards leaving and showing up etc.

They both get the job done for what they both aimed for.
I had no regrets when I sold my copy of MGS5 to my local game-store....maybe I was hoping for a more immersive experience of a world that was more "alive" rather than just you and the soldiers....something along the lines of some of the areas in the last main-line Uncharted game.. I always thought imagine if they somehow recreated this scene from Rambo 3 in MGS 5 while you are in Afghanistan:

EDMIX

I had no regrets when I sold my copy of MGS5 to my local game-store....maybe I was hoping for a more immersive experience of a world that was more "alive" rather than just you and the soldiers....something along the lines of some of the areas in the last main-line Uncharted game.. I always thought imagine if they somehow recreated this scene from Rambo 3 in MGS 5 while you are in Afghanistan:

lol damn that movie's good!

I think the reason why they didn't want the world to have certain elements was that it was designed more so as some soldier's playground type thing. I think to add in other elements like a bunch of civilians always driving by or something was make it waaaaay more complex, but maybe move it away from what Kojima was going for. I think the limited approach was better for MGSV.

RAIDEN1

lol damn that movie's good!

I think the reason why they didn't want the world to have certain elements was that it was designed more so as some soldier's playground type thing. I think to add in other elements like a bunch of civilians always driving by or something was make it waaaaay more complex, but maybe move it away from what Kojima was going for. I think the limited approach was better for MGSV.
Dam right! (It is a great movie) You could easily imagine the soviets coming in with their helicopters just like in the clip! Whilst you are taking part in village life..

Last edited:

A.Romero

A great video featuring the voice over of Mr Solid Snake himself David Hayter ...exploring what was left on the cutting room floor for the Metal Gear Solid games:

Really liked those high res mgs2 and 3 clips but the info is not entirely accurate, the most egregious error is calling Miyamoto Hideo's mentor. I mean, wtf.

Top Bottom