• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you know Namco was making Rave Racer for PC back in '95-'96? Pics of the Proto

camineet

Banned
http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/5623/powervrraveracer1oc7.jpg
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/2120/powervrraveracer2qf2.jpg

Not bad for the PowerVR PCX1 card. A damn sight better graphically than
Ridge Racer & Ridge Racer Revolution on PS1, even though not upto the arcade's quality.

arcade: http://pcengine.free.fr/rave.jpg

the article mentions that PowerVR PC Rave Racer was pushing 4 times the graphics workload of the first Playstation Ridge Racer (1994).

It's truly a crying shame Namco never released this, as well as Air Combat 22 which was also in development (but no prototype pics of that). I hate that Namco didn't have the balls to mention Rave Racer's cancelation. They said nothing. As if it was swept under the rug, never happened.

I know we got the Rave Racer tracks in PSP Ridge Racer, but it's not the same gameplay or visuals. It would be nice if they included the arcade version with the next Ridge Racer release.
You know how Tekken 5 came with Tekken, T2 and T3 in Arcade History? Like that.

SmokyDave

"Running at 30 FPS in Hi resolution 640x480"
:lol

Oh how I love the march of time. Those pages look familiar, whatever that magazine is I'm fairly sure I read it back in the day!

eso76

Quick, take those magazine scans down before you get yourself a ban !

: /

i knew, in fact, but had only seen one picture before

Davidion

So no chance of a game based on a bunch of kandi kids rolling their asses off to Oakenfold and running around a tent like twats, then?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
SmokyDave said:

Oh how I love the march of time. Those pages look familiar, whatever that magazine is I'm fairly sure I read it back in the day!

looks like early Edge. I remember the article too.

edit: 2nd scan has an 'ng' tag so it'll be its sister mag.

Dead Man

Thanks to VideoLogic's Power VR accelerator and Namco, the PC could be set to accelerate past the consoles never to look back

Wow, the beginnings of the master race. :lol And that is some terrible writing. "Thanks to the... accelerator... the PC could be set to accelerate"?

SmokyDave

camineet said:
I forgot to mention the article is Next Generation issue 19, July 1996.
Yes! That'll be it then, I read it back in the day.

mrklaw said:
looks like early Edge. I remember the article too.

edit: 2nd scan has an 'ng' tag so it'll be its sister mag.
Such a nostalgia rush. My nose is filled with the smell of Virtua Fighter 2 running in 'Hi-Res' mode!

Yeah, I remember reading that in a mag back in the day. I still want Rave Racer. And Scud Race! I miss the golden age of arcade racing games.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Teknopathetic said:
""Running at 30 FPS in Hi resolution 640x480""

About the same frame rate and resolution as a current gen console game.
Damnit I was about to make that factual statement

The PC Rave Racer conversion remains faithful to the coin-op by including all the camera angles from the original's replay mode. This is a good thing

camineet

Banned
patrickthehedgehog said:
I wish there was some way to play this...

So do I.

I remember reading on Beyond3D that Simon F has the textures or parts of the game on his HDD, but i don't know whether or not he can play it.
Wouldn't hurt to ask over there.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
You know what Ridge Racer needs?

Power ups. And real-life cars.

I hope the Ridge Racer team is cribbing notes from Blur on how to do it.

Split Second is more Ridge Racer to me than anything else, but with SHIT EXPLODING ALL OVER THE PLACE.

dalin80

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
""Running at 30 FPS in Hi resolution 640x480""

About the same frame rate and resolution as a current gen console game.

thats only if you count the wii as current gen.

twinturbo2 said:

Ugh God no it doesn't. Ridge Racer 8 should be RR7 - the boosting + Type 4's type of story - 4's weird way of unlocking cars + Reiko Nagase.

Jay Sosa

twinturbo2 said:

Split Second is more Ridge Racer to me than anything else, but with SHIT EXPLODING ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Kill him with fire!

yurinka

twinturbo2 said:

WTF! NO!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
JustAnotherOtaku said:
Ugh God no it doesn't. Ridge Racer 8 should be RR7 - the boosting + Type 4's type of story - 4's weird way of unlocking cars + Reiko Nagase.

Yes. Pretty much R4's drifting and everything in HD - Blurryness of the PSX.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
camineet said:
Actually they're magazine pics from my old digital camera.

I hope that's okay

Considering it's a decade old magazine... I'd wager it's kosher. But GAF mods a weird bunch at times.

dalin80

Banned
just read through one of my old pc mags, yeesh things havent changed at all.

same hype and pc vs console wars.

'finally the title to prove pc supremacy!'

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
twinturbo2 said:

I played the Split Second demo and it didn't have the awesome feel of a Ridge Racer game. All the big arcade racers bore me pretty quick because they never feel as good as Ridge Racer. I want an HD remake of Ridge Racer V. That's my favorite one.

DonMigs85

TheSeks said:
Considering it's a decade old magazine... I'd wager it's kosher. But GAF mods a weird bunch at times.
Meh, the mag has been defunct since 2002 anyway. Buying any back issues now won't make 'em any more cash.

camineet

Banned
Apparently an unplayable rolling demo was released with the first PowerVR cards (PCX1) from what i read but there's no way to confirm it.

camineet

Banned
I forgot to mention, you can play Rave Racer in the VivaNonno System 22 emulator @ 60fps.
All you need is a video card with at least 128 MB which everyone has.

Lich_King

SmokyDave said:

Yes, this is an actual PC game screenshot
game_screenshot.jpg

camineet said:
I forgot to mention, you can play Rave Racer in the VivaNonno System 22 emulator @ 60fps.
All you need is a video card with at least 128 MB which everyone has.

C'MON DRIVE A SMART RACE, THERE'S A LOT OF RACING AHEAD

GO, GO, GO! THE RACE IS YOURS

HAAA, YOU'RE HOME FREE NOW BABY.

I remember this being announced, in the very early days of 3D cards. There was some screens of a sci fi flying game along side it with what looked like insane shadowing, they might have been renders.

Vespa

camineet said:
Apparently an unplayable rolling demo was released with the first PowerVR cards (PCX1) from what i read but there's no way to confirm it.

I vaguely remember seeing something like that in a computer store, it might have been a vid though.

I want a HD Ridge/Rave collection :(

Celine

Namco planned an Ace Driver port for N64.
As many other announced games for N64 , it never saw the light of the day.

camineet

Banned
Celine said:
Namco planned an Ace Driver port for N64.
As many other announced games for N64 , it never saw the light of the day.

Oh they did? Well I know (or believe) that Namco planned a Rave Racer port for N64 but I didn't know, or forgot about, N64 Ace Driver.

Top Bottom