• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you like The Subspace Emissary?

I guess. The boss fights were cool and the cutscenes were neat. But the levels were boring and not as cool as the soundtrack playing in the background.

YBdisk

I liked it but it could've been so much better.
I'd love to see it return as the Nintendo themed platform beat-em-up with the Smash 4 engine (faster, less floaty, grapple/combo heavier).

Poppy

much like everything about smash bros brawl, it seemed kinda cool at first and then i realized everything was kinda trash to play

I liked it at the time, but in hindsight.....it's kind of a mess.

Whole thing was far longer than it needed to be. Gameplay is kind of a slog. The Great Maze was just unnecessary, and did squander the Subspace portion. The lack of Nintendo worlds are also definitely a major sour spot.

The only thing it really has going for it are the cutscenes, but only for some of those cool or funny character moments and that badass gunship dogfight. Everything story wise was just a mess of "Why?" moments, player assumptions, and moments that betrays it's own rules, for instance Diddy not getting "trophied" by DK's punch.

I had no desire to go back after one playthrough.

PSqueak

Banned
I mean, they did explain why it's like that, remember the characters in SSE are NOT the original nintendo characters, they are trophies of the characters, that's why they don't exist in the actual nintendo worlds and MOST of the enemies are generic (because you actually fight a bunch of nintendo enemies in the game too).

It was a fun 2 players romp, but it was glorified kirby game, which is fine for kirby, but it should have been a bit more refined for smash.

I mean, they did explain why it's like that, remember the characters in SSE are NOT the original nintendo characters, they are trophies of the characters, that's why they don't exist in the actual nintendo worlds and MOST of the enemies are generic (because you actually fight a bunch of nintendo enemies in the game too).

I understand that. But I mean, if the trophies were based on Nintendo characters, then couldn't they at least made the World of Trophies a mishmash of Nintendo worlds and locations as well?

Berordn

It was a fun 2 players romp, but it was glorified kirby game, which is fine for kirby, but it should have been a bit more refined for smash.

Kirby games have more refined mechanics for their beat 'em up gameplay. Enemies die quickly, you're rarely swarmed by enemies that can easily overpower you and the stages don't (usually) drag on for nearly as long, plus you've got the ability to switch movesets that suit the situation on the fly, rather than dying and hoping the next character up is better suited to it.

SSE by itself would be a mediocre Kirby game.

quesalupa

Very much so. I can see some of it's shortcomings now but the first couple of play throughs were amazing. I hope the next Smash has something similar.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Terribly flawed, but much preferred it to the garbage we got in 4U and 3DS as a replacement.

It's absolutely amazing that the depths of creativity and resources Nintendo can throw at Smash can yet spectacularly fail to implement a strong campaign component for 1-4 players.

Zebei

I loved the crap out of it as a kid

Was a grand little single player experience. As a mostly solo player it was amazing for me and I got to play as all of the characters in cool levels and fight cool enemies. Smash For's singleplayer felt nonexistent compared to it

If I were to replay it though now? Probably wouldnt enjoy it much even if you ignore Brawl's gameplay. Knowing how it screwed with development wouldnt make me feel much better about it either

Anth0ny

So bad.

Much prefer melee's adventure mode. Really wish the smash team could just figure it out and stop wasting time making awful modes that no one uses.

Dreavus

I thought it was cool, but I wasn't a fan of how they messed with the gravity/weight/jumping. Made it annoying to play, and that aspect got progressively worse for me. Brawl's physics were already fucked compared to the other games but it was even worse than that in this mode. I'm assuming it was to placate the level design but it just didn't feel good to play. I'm fine with a Kirby-esque romp but not when it controls so badly.

In terms of story, the big villain was stupid but aside from that having all these Nintendo characters running around bumping into each other was fun to see.

MutFox

Banned
If you have a friend to play with, yeah it was fun.
If you have nobody to play with, your enjoyment would be limited.

rardk64

Here's the thing - I loved the potential it had. When I was younger and this came out, I wasn't disappointed by it. I enjoyed it at the time. Looking back, it's a bit of a slog to get through.

I hesitate to say I dislike it though, because I don't really. The cutscenes were great, and the concept of bringing these characters together is one that I love. I would've loved getting rid of the generic enemies and creating better worlds specific to the franchises included. I also agree with the idea that the physics and Kirby gameplay were just not a great fit for what they wanted to accomplish here.

With that said, what would be better? In almost any direction you go, you're a better fit for one franchise than another. You can't make each character's gameplay like their game of origin, otherwise you're just slapping a bunch of different games together to try to make a story. Maybe that could work, but there're so many characters that it would make for a mess of game design. As well, bringing one character into the gameplay style of another (Mario into Metroid, Olimar into Zelda, Kirby into Pokémon, etc.) can result in a lot of messy things, plus which gameplay styles are chosen and which aren't?

Seems like it'd have to be its own gameplay style, something like how Kingdom Hearts crosses over worlds with Disney (though those are movie characters, so no pre-existing gameplay ideas are there) and it has its own gameplay style. But then you're not in a Smash Bros. game.

I think that really says it. I think a sandbox-y sort of game featuring a crossover of a bunch of Nintendo franchises could work, but Smash Bros. gameplay limits it significantly (as most fighting games do). Not sure what the right answer is, but I'd lean more towards this kind of thing being its own game, shaking free of the Smash Bros. stuff.

That all said, I'd love to see some sort of story mode in Smash, or at least something resembling enjoyable single player gameplay (Smash Tour is not good).

Ogodei

OP's criticisms are more or less my own. It was fun for what it was, but had a lot of missed potential

1) Fewer OC enemies and bosses. Smash Run in Smash For was better about the balance of this, you still had a few OC enemies (i think?) but the large majority were from favorite franchises.

2) Needed to adjust the physics. Navigating a lot of the levels was *hard* with some characters because they're just not good at quick, accurate platforming even if they're good at other things. It's like taking Bowser to a fast-motion version of Poke Floats: you're not gonna have a good time.

I did like some of the story beats, like their characterization of Mr. Game and Watch or the fun confrontation between Sheik and Fox that Peach settles with tea. They did a good job with the limits of the story being purely dialogue-free.

What i'd like to see in next Smash is a rival system similar to other fighting games. Pick characters from unrelated franchises who'd be good rivals for each other and invent some weird history between them. Smash For's intro trailers had hints of this, like Kirby hanging out with Luma in Rosalina's trailer, Samus in Little Mac's, or Pit and Palutena in Bayonetta's.

I liked the goofy cutscenes and I think the bosses were pretty decent, but yeah, I don't think Smash Bros. mechanics work very well in extended platformer levels like that. I'm glad the fourth game didn't bring it back.

Top Bottom