• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you play Psychonauts, and are you gonna try the second game?

Play or not to play Psychonauts?

• I played the first, and I am definitely gonna play the second

Votes: 75 39.3%
  • I played the first, not gonna play the second

Votes: 22 11.5%
  • Never played the first, but I am gonna check out the second one

Votes: 43 22.5%
  • Not played the first, not gonna play the second

Votes: 51 26.7%

• Total voters

Bragr

Banned
The first game bombed when it released in 2005, but became a cult hit and over the years it has sold close to 2 million units, like a comeback story out of a fairytale, which prompted the development of the second game which comes out on August 25th of this year, included with Game Pass.

Psychonauts plays (somewhat) like the old Rayman 3D platformers with the humor and wit of Conker's Bad Fur Day.

It's very well written. It's genuinely funny and clever, in fact, it might be one of the best-written games I have ever played. The platforming is sharp and the collect-a-thon is addicting and the concept of traveling to different fantasy worlds inside people's brains works very well, it's always fun to see what the next world is gonna be like. The only issue I had was that the story parts are sometimes too frequent and long and make you wait too often, which can make for somewhat strange pacing.

But who here actually played the first one? who is excited about the second game? I always felt like Psychonauts has a marketing problem, as it's hard to convey the game from screenshots and footage alone. Game Pass is gonna help it a lot this time though.

psychonautsthumb.png

Roberts

I completed the first one for the first time ever last week. Despite a bit dated controls and a few tiny issues, it is a wonderful game. It was hilarious, sad, weird, profound and endlessly imaginative. If the sequel manages to maintain the same tone, but with a more modern gameplay mechanics, it will be a prime candidate for my personal GOTY.

No, and probably not
Dean Winchester Reaction GIF

The first game bombed when it released in 2005, but became a cult hit and over the years it has sold close to 2 million units, like a comeback story out of a fairytale, which prompted the development of the second game which comes out on August 25th of this year, included with Game Pass.

Psychonauts plays (somewhat) like the old Rayman 3D platformers with the humor and wit of Conker's Bad Fur Day.

It's very well written. It's genuinely funny and clever, in fact, it might be one of the best-written games I have ever played. The platforming is sharp and the collect-a-thon is addicting and the concept of traveling to different fantasy worlds inside people's brains works very well, it's always fun to see what the next world is gonna be like. The only issue I had was that the story parts are sometimes too frequent and long and make you wait too often, which can make for somewhat strange pacing.

But who here actually played the first one? who is excited about the second game? I always felt like Psychonauts has a marketing problem, as it's hard to convey the game from screenshots and footage alone. Game Pass is gonna help it a lot this time though.

psychonautsthumb.png
I didn't play the first one. Maybe a demo back in the day? Can't remember. Is it even worth going back to? How's the gameplay hold up?

Completed it to 100 percent and had a fun time doing it. Although collecting all the figments is an absolute pain in the ass, especially when most of them are transparent and blend into the background. My favourite area of the entire game was the Spanish inspired area with colourful lighting and appropriately themed flamenco music.

497808-blackvelvetopia.jpg

TLZ

Banned
Never played the first. I have it installed on SX but yet to try it.

I want to try 2 as well.

Holdfing

I wish there was a vote for "loved the 1st game but incredibly suspicious about the quality of the second game."

I was really looking forward to Broken Age, and it kind of fell flat for me.

Kinda same for me. I really really hope it's good.
I think Psychonauts was the first game I 100% completed. So good.

I've played the first one as well as the PSVR one, so yes I am absolutely going to pick up the second game and expect to have a great time with it.

....but it is 100% going to bomb sales-wise.

Holammer

Played the first and I'm intending to play the sequel.
Never really got into it when I first played it on the PS2. Much later when it got the PC version on Steam it clicked and I've played it to completion twice. There's some unique & funny shit innit that A Hat in Time did a good job replicating.

CitizenZ

Banned
The first is def. a classic that is a must play today BUT I will play the second when its priced around $20. Df does not nor does any MS dev have a track record of releasing a game in a finished, polished state. It will be completely different months after initial release. But thats 99% of the industry and all should be treated the same.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Hate the art style. Going to try the first out soon since I get them both in Gamepass now. Part 2 looks like a big release so if I hate part 1 I'll read a summary and try part 2.

Mr Hyde

I love Psychonauts. Played it first on release for PS2 and later revisited it on PS4, grabbing the platinum. It's very dated today even if it still has it charm, so I very much look forward to a more modern take on Psychonauts. Can't wait.

BabyYoda

Banned
Loved it on the original Xbox, wasn't really sure why it wasn't a mega hit, but really glad it has gained in popularity over the years and had the recognition it always deserved. Obviously I'm ecstatic they are making a sequel, it's one of my dream games and it's honestly looking as good as I hoped it would be!

As op said, it had brilliant and hilarious writing and the VO was really good as well, it was a really weird and imaginative world to lose yourself in and I really love adventure games, platform games and colectathons, so it was made for me really! It's probably my fave 3D platformer along with Mario 64. Really glad Gamepass means it will be played by a lot of people and that Double Fine will get to keep making wacky games, they may not sell AAA numbers, but the gaming industry is richer because of them, the extra funding and stability should hopefully also help the creative juices flow.

Varteras

Gold Member
I played the first one years ago and never enjoyed it. Tim Schaffer is kind of like the Tim Burton of video games. A rather eccentric style but without the wild success. His best games are all long behind him. Psychonauts 2 will probably review well but tank in sales. If I remember correctly, the first game didn't sell well at all until it released on certain PC stores and many of those sales were greatly discounted prices. It was said that Humble Bundle alone sold over 700k copies of the game.

Sleepwalker

Didn't play the first, not really interested in this one.

Same deal with ratchet, I did actually buy the PS5 one and ended up not liking it.

So I'm just gonna straight up skip this one.

I played about 5 minutes of the first so it doesn't really count but I thought it controlled like shit. Hopefully the second one has some gameplay improvements.

Sentenza

Played the first multiple times over the years, including one few months ago. it's one of my favorite games of all time. Probably up there on top of the list as my favorite action adventure.

Of course I'm going to play the sequel.
Imagine being such a sad sack of shit that you are going to ignore a potential gem like this one for whatever reason.

Also, please, be good. I'm not asking for much, just be at least 90% as good as the original.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Same deal with ratchet, I did actually buy the PS5 one and ended up not liking it.

So I'm just gonna straight up skip this one.
Didn't play the recent PS5 release, specifically, but generally speaking it's an "apples and oranges" comparison.
The past R&C I tried could only wish to be HALF as good as Psychonauts 1.

Last edited:

Zannegan

I don't know if the sequel will live up, but the first was flatout magic, so I'm definitely going to play the sequel (eventually).

Last edited:

Pantz

Not played the first yet but it's high on the list. Would like to play both. Not in any rush though.

Fbh

Never played the first one.

This is one of those franchises like Oddworld where the art style is really off-putting to me.

Reminds me of the movie Antz that also has this weird art style that has always creeped me out

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I remember picking up the boxed PC version at launch. Absolutely one of the best 3D platformers of the era, mostly on the strength of it's wildly creative writing and level design.

It isn't without its flaws -- the combat wasn't that great and it's got a couple annoying bits of levels toward the end, but it hold up really well. I just replayed it a couple weeks ago and had a great time. Very ready for the sequel, which looks like everything I could have hoped for.

MetalRain

I played first one like couple of hours, but it didn't quite click with me. Not sure if I bother with upcoming game.

I haven’t played the first, but I will most likely play it, and the sequel, back to back. One of my oldest friends is a big fan because he played it as a kid. I’d like to play it and talk to him about our vastly differing experiences since I’m playing it as adult for the first time.

Top Bottom