• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you refer to the Nintendo Entertainment System as the Ness, N.E.S, or Nintendo?

Everyone i knew growing up in Indiana, South Carolina, and Florida called it the N.E.S. We called the Super Nintendo the "Super". For example, "Is that game on Genesis or Super?"

kromeo

I remember this thread a few months back. Conclusion seemed to be The US mostly called it the N.E.S, UK the nez and the rest of Europe varied between the two

When I was a kid my family and all my friends all just called it Nintendo. As I got older we either called it Original Nintendo or N.E.S. Never heard someone say NESS in person.

Accoun

Nes (or Ness, whatever). N. E. S. just sounds awkward to me and just calling it "Nintendo" makes me think of people that have no idea about gaming (like parents/grandparents giving me shit for "wasting my time on the Nintendo").

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
People who say it phonetically are horrible people not to be trusted... that or young and not around when they came out.

Nobody called it the NEZ or SNEZ back in the day.

you say all the letters.

d00d3n

In Sweden, the widespread term was "Nintendo 8-bit" as far as I remember. It is weird though ... Sounds like it could have been introduced after super nintendo, but I remember it being used before that.

Kneefoil

I wasn't around in the NES' heyday, but nowadays I say Nes, N.E.S., and 8-bit Nintendo. Usually it's the N.E.S. though.

That being said, Super Nintendo is pretty much always Snes. Sometimes Super Nintendo, but 95% of the time it's just Snes and never S.N.E.S.

Ness.png

THIS

RoadHazard

Gold Member
"Ness". That, or "Nintendo", is what everyone I know here in Sweden calls it. Nobody ever spells the letters out. The SNES is "Sness" or "Super Nintendo" (usually the latter).

Teuoxton

N.E.S.
Snes
N64

I would usually say Super N.E.S. when talking with friends. Snes was mainly with my brothers or close friends i.e. the ones I talked the most with about consoles.

I was born in 1991, so by the time I had an NES, I also had an N64.

In my American New England culture, it was either N-E-S or Ness. Super Nintendo was only, always, and exclusively the Sness.

It's funny, because by the time I was playing games, kids didn't call anything a "Nintendo" anymore. Only parents. The name didn't stick to kids, even kids who grew up playing with it, just their parents. I had a lot of friends with older siblings (which is where we always got old consoles and games from) who all called it the N-E-S and the Ness, but their moms and dads called it "Nintendo".

Top Bottom