• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you refer to the Nintendo Entertainment System as the Ness, N.E.S, or Nintendo?

entremet

I mostly used Nintendo. And since the NES was so popular in the US, it became the ubiquitous term for gaming consoles for a bit.

I sometimes said Ness and very rarely said N.E.S.

Today, I mostly use Ness.

My older family members still call most consoles regardless of company of origin "The Nintendo" lol.

Red Fire

SNES = Super Nintendo
NES = Nintendo or sometimes the "normal Nintendo"

All the other systems by their correct names.

Edit: at the time the SNES was a thing everybody just called it Nintendo around here so that's where the "normal/regular Nintendo" is coming from

Nintendo

When snes came out, that became "super Nintendo" and the NES became "regular Nintendo".

Now I call it n.e.s.

" nez" or "Ness" really annoys me for some reason.

En Eee Ess, or Nintendo. Never called it nes or snes. It's an acronym and I rarely say acronyms. Like, I say "Ee Ess Pee En" for ESPN, not pronouncing it phonetically like a word. Black Entertainment is Bee Eee Tee, not bet. NBC is En Bee See, not nubuk.

I'm sure there's some exceptions to this rule but by and large I say letters out individually and don't make a word for acronyms.

Mendax

just "nes" - where does the long S in your example come from?

and why would anyone say n.e.s., it's not sexy and takes longer

Krejlooc

Banned
N.E.S. or "The Nintendo."

I didn't have one, though. I had a Sega Master System, which I never refer to in speech as "S.M.S."

woopWOOP

The 'regular Nintendo', to differentiate from the 'Super Nintendo'.

When talking about NES I just use it as a word. nessssssss

7threst

The Nintendo, as did everybody around me. Then when SNES came out it became the 8-bit Nintendo. Now I only refer to it as NES.

Ness.png

Top Bottom