• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dieting and Soda Pop Derailment thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewFresh

Continuing from the ban thread

Context: Amazing Ban/ GAF History thread was derailed into a conversation about dieting/soda/ why water tastes bad to people

This will continue here.

also
jakncoke said:
8-10 cans mtn dew for like 5 years now. Its hard for me, specially when i love the taste of mtn dew

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
The_Technomancer said:
I honestly worry about the dude who was drinking 8-10 cans of Mountain Dew a day.

I swear one of my roommates does this. I don't understand how anyone can go through that many a day.

NewFresh

The_Technomancer said:
I honestly worry about the dude who was drinking 8-10 cans of Mountain Dew a day.

He is probably not alone. I have seen people on basically a constant flow of soda throughout college

Calcaneus

We might need some context that doesn't involve reading a whole nother thread.

But if you are dieting, Soda ain't gonna help. Is there actually an argument about that?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
EmmanuelMunoz said:
He is probably not alone. I have seen people on basically a constant flow of soda throughout college
Just what are we doing to our health as a species? I mean this is downright ridiculous. Not just the sugar: what kind of caffeine dependency is that going to give a person?
I had a friend in high-school who needed a 12oz dew to wake up in the morning, it was seeing that that terrified me into never drinking soda or coffee heavily. I saw him lose his "morning-person"-ness over the course of three years, I don't want to risk the same.

tumblr_ll2pgyUqj81qa6oxno1_400.jpg

Yup. Too bad I can't find any of this in Toronto.

mjc

If you're drinking diet soda thinking that it'll help you in dieting, you're sorely wrong. Cut out soda entirely and that'll help your diet.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm starting a soda/coffee free diet starting tomorrow.

It's going to suck since McDonalds has Dollar days in Canada right now. Iced coffees at $1 were so good. :(

nateeasy

Banned
I went the past 2 weeks with nothing but water but then I got really hammered on Saturday night and needed some Taco Bell with a Mountain Dew. It happens.

Edit: By water I mean water and alcohol.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You think it tastes amazing until you exclusively drink water for awhile. Then it doesn't taste as good. Because water is fuckawesome.

The 8-10 can thing is insane, but my parents drink a ton of pepsi now that I think about it. They ONLY drink pepsi and beer, too. One of my friends drinks nothing but coke and then a bigass can of monster every night.

I used to drink a shitload of mountain dew, but now I'm over it. The only drink that tempts me is cherry coke and dr. pepper, but a can of that every month or so is fine with me.

xbhaskarx said:
Don't drink soda, ever.
I can support this.
Although, I won't lie, I do crave a rootbeer float from time to time.

The few people I've known to give up sodas seemed to have lost around 15 pounds or there about as a result.

Replicant

I don't drink soda but I admit sugar is my weakness. I do my best to stay away from them but on the weekend, I'd consume some sugary tea or coffee-flavored milk or eat some ice cream.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Pepsi Blue was amazing, but I don't really get the appeal of sodie pop. I liked it as a kid, but as an adult with refined taste, I don't enjoy it anymore. Especially Mountain Dew, that shit is vile.

Rorschach

I used to drink 4 liters a day during the scorching summer. I would just lay there munching on ice and sipping soda (not to mention I ate like 4 "6 dollar burgers"). I didn't gain a pound, but I knew it was bad for me. I completely cut off sugar and it was pretty miserable. I felt great after a week or so, though. When I finally drank a carbonated beverage again (I think it was cider), it was weird how overwhelming the carbonation was to my mouth.

TheExodu5

Banned
EmmanuelMunoz said:
People treat Diet Soda like water. It is pretty insane

I know studies say "aspartame is safe", but I just have this feeling that it's too good to be true. Plus, all that carbonation, acidity, and caffeine can't be too good either.

Anyways, I remember when going to water in the past, water started tasting a lot better after I got used to it a week or so in. It became quite delicious, in fact. It doesn't taste that great for me at the moment, but I look forward to craving water again.

The_Technomancer said:
And yet adding high-fructose corn syrup and caffeine makes it less gross?
Tastes good man, there's a reason soda sells a lot. It can be gross and delicious all at once.

/former addict

NewFresh

Snuggler said:
Pepsi Blue was amazing, but I don't really get the appeal of sodie pop. I liked it as a kid, but as an adult with refined taste, I don't enjoy it anymore. Especially Mountain Dew, that shit is vile.

I can't even stand the smell of it anymore

Belfast said:
Mmm, vanilla coke zero. My new love.
Wish i could even find the normal vanilla coke let alone the zero type. have never been able to find dr pepper zero or vanilla coke zero anywhere in toronto.

I only drink a few cans of coke a month. Not a big problem for me.

way more

mjc said:
If you're drinking diet soda thinking that it'll help you in dieting, you're sorely wrong. Cut out soda entirely and that'll help your diet.

I don't drink diet soda but what about it causes weight gain?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
baekshi said:
Sounds like my nephew, of course diet pepsi.

Are they drugs?
Can anyone honestly tell me they don't know at least one person in their lives who has a serious caffeine problem, be it soda or tea or coffee, to the point where if it was a harder drug you would be concerned for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom