• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Community Thread |OT| For all the Digidestined on GAF

Gin-Shiio

Regarding the reboot of the digital world:
I don't understand how Homeostasis was seemingly unaffected by the reboot of the digital world. In general, the reboot seems like an incredibly bad idea for the lore consistency of the series. Not to mention, the whole event has added nothing of consequence to the story as of part 5, and almost seems to have been used solely to squeeze in yet another OVA.

to sum up, I feel like this story was originally meant for it to be a full 50 ep series (aka back when it was originally announced) but now they are trying to fit in what they can into a 6-part movie series which is the equivalent of a 25 (or 26 depending on part 6 runtime) episode anime aka half of what a Digimon series normally gets.

I feel the opposite is the case. The plot is worth the runtime of maybe one movie, yet they felt the need to cash in by stretching it into multiple OVAs. You could easily cut out the first two thirds of part 5 for instance without missing anything of substance. Likewise, I feel the whole series of OVAs could have been seriously condensed.

for me it's Alphamon's involvement that confuses me the most. At first, I think we were all in the assumption that he was tainted with the same darkness as Meicoomon. Now it's like... confusing seeing the battle royale that went on.

From what I understood, Alphamon is Yggdrasil's agent ensuring the advancing of its plans to destroy humankind through Meicoomon. We see it attack the latter in the first OVA, and as we now know, fear causes it to evolve. That in turn means Alphamon was trying to trigger its evolution. Because Meicoomon fusing with Ophalimon is a necessary step in Yggdrasil's plans, Alphamon had to ensure Meicoomons survival against Jesmon, who works for Homeostasis, another faction that seeks balance between the human and digital world.

whats everyone thoughts on appi series i enjoyed the first Xros wars but i dropped the 2nd one ?

I think it's the best season since Tamers. I was cautious at first, but the show really won me over. The appmon and partner interactions are on point and the villain is the most competent the series has ever seen.
Boy Hunters has my favorite art style among all seasons, but the story is seriously lacking, making it the show's worst.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
From what I understood, Alphamon is Yggdrasil's agent ensuring the advancing of its plans to destroy humankind through Meicoomon. We see it attack the latter in the first OVA, and as we now know, fear causes it to evolve. That in turn means Alphamon was trying to trigger its evolution. Because Meicoomon fusing with Ophalimon is a necessary step in Yggdrasil's plans, Alphamon had to ensure Meicoomons survival against Jesmon, who works for Homeostasis, another faction that seeks balance between the human and digital world.

Ok yeah that makes sense. I wish they did a better job explaining/showing
Yggdrasil vs Homeostasis. Having them just as invisible entities is just kinda... I dunno. Just leaves Hackmon and Hikari as the storytellers for it. Then you have Apocalymon/Genai in with the mess and... yeah. They should've depicted things a little differently...

1) I think this is the first time that a character on the poster was not the focus off the movie, I thought that
Hikari would be featured alot but it turns out Taichi was the one other than Mei that was the main character of the movie

2)
Apocalypsemon
?! That's a name I wasn't expecting.

3) Holy shit at the 'Royal' rumble fight at the climax. It's a free for all among all the factions.

4) Finale of the movie things got pretty dark, I always love those moments but wish they were a bit more.
That was some Tamer level D-Reaper design, but what the hell is going on? Was there any indication that they needed Hikari's digimon for their plan?

5) I have my suspicions for who 'Dark-Gennai' is since the last movie, considering he summoned two of the four Dark Masters, I think he might be a certain clown...

L.O.R.D

just finished watching the episodes

WTF IS THIS SHIT?

we so many stupid fillers?
and that
cliffhanger

and what's worse, not i have to wait a whole year?
it's not like they have godly animation.

Wait what? Appmon turns out to be good?! I watched the first episode, thought they were latching on to just the Digimon name and left it alone.

Gin-Shiio

Wait what? Appmon turns out to be good?! I watched the first episode, thought they were latching on to just the Digimon name and left it alone.

It's easy to dismiss the show based on its concept and perhaps more generic artstyle. Stick with it for a few episodes, however, and you'll be in for a good time. I guarantee it.

It's worst aspect is the pacing. There can be lots of "filler" and important developments could have probably benefited from being split over multiple episodes. Other than that, it's one of the strongest seasons for sure.

After I see the finale, I'll try to write a more in-depth review or something. It would be nice to encourage more Digimon fans to give it a chance.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Appmon's greatest element was its comedy, imo. Got almost a "Gintama"-feel at points, and knows when to have fun.

Also I think even though a lot of the Appmon glitching up is caused for laughs, I think some of the episode do address legit problems with relying on technology too much. It's really the first Digimon series for me that really seems like it did the "digital" element justice.

Man, speaking of Appmon's pacing, I forgot just how bad Tri's is. For the first three movies, it was excusable, but this was the penultimate part, and the first portion still drags.

Even worse,
the reboot was proven to be a complete waste of time. Why hasn't Tailmon reverted to Plotmon? Outside of a few throwaway lines, the Digimon don't act like they ever forgot anything.

Hikari got shafted again. Meiko (and Taichi?) kind of stole her thunder. We see Ophanimon Falldown Mode for less than a minute before she is merged into... one of the worst Digimon designs I've seen. Can't wait for a Seraphimon-like reveal for Tailmon's evolution in the next movie. -.-

The Digimon battle in this movie was weak, especially for one with multiple sides. The Ultimate partners were defeated too quickly.

Anyway, positive things:
I liked the scary story sharing and calling home portion. It would have been cool to see more of the parents like we did with Taichi and Hikari. This was the only "calm before the storm" we really needed. The unending exposition and reassuring Meiko over and over were unneeded.

I like seeing Jesmon animated. The way he fights and wearing the hood was neat to see.

Daigo's stuff was interesting. His partner being Bearmon makes me happy inside. I wish we saw more of the original DigiDestined's adventure...

The battle with all the ultimates and megas should have been the most hype thing ever... but we barely got anything wtf.

I don't give a shit about Alphamon I just wanted to see a battle royale with the Megas against Jezmon and Raguelmon.

This movie's on par with Loss in terms of my personal enjoyment (or lack thereof) lmao.

Fuck Meiko. Maki and Daigo were the only decent additions to the Digimon Adventure mythos.

We're not even at the end of this, and I'm already trying to think better ways they could have done everything. No Meiko is probably #1 on that list. If they needed to "sell" a new character, Maki and Daigo could have been used more/better. If they needed to "sell" a new Digimon,
Maki and/or Daigo could have been given one (though I actually like that they both had known Digimon). Tapirmon(or a "new" Digimon) could have been set-up as the problem Digimon, and Maki could have dealt with that. We could have seen more of the original DigiDestined and what went wrong. Idk, just spitballing here.

I like Meiko :(. Though I do agree, they spent far too much time on her. It would probably help if this was either a full 50 episode series or the movie equivalent rather than the movie equivalent of a 25 episode anime (assuming next one is split into 4 episodes) as they would have had proper time to space things out. It does hurt from being a 6-part movie instead of being a full series. - I do think the movies will benefit from watching them back to back once part 6 is out and we don't need to wait months for the next one.

She's not terrible, but Adventure's cast is just too big for them to add another main DigiDestined. Even the original Adventure suffered from some characters getting too little development, now you're forcing them to share more time with someone who isn't a nostalgic character.

I agree that Tri seems to suffer from not being planned the best, whether that be because it was originally going to be a series, or they are writing by the seat of their pants, ala 02.

Poster for part 6:

Not as bad as I feared, but I would have preferred we got
Seraphimon, Tailmon's Ultimate, and Meicoomon's good Ultimate.

Appmon 52 (End):

Wow, Yuujin's death scene was amazing. I figured we'd get some sort of sacrifice from him all along, but they nailed it perfectly. Leviathan's final choice to Haru, Haru's anguish, Gatchmon knowing what Haru would do, and then Yuujin not letting Haru shoulder that burden. It was captivating television, and really unlike anything we've ever seen from Digimon before.

I was a bit surprised at first that there was no separation of the buddies at the end, but they probably felt that would be too cruel after killing Yuujin. And it ties into the themes of befriending AI to have them continue living with humans from here on out. Haru also raises an interesting idea of if Leviathan might have partially been happy to see humanity surprise it. It's an interesting notion. You could also say that Leviathan even won by losing, since Haru is going to become an AI researcher, and presumably further AI development himself when he gets older.

As far as the final scene goes, I'm sure it will be a subject of debate among fans for years, but as far as I'm concerned it was definitely Haru daydreaming/an illusion. He rubs his eyes and yawns right beforehand, and the lighting in that final scene seems kind of dreamlike to me. But they definitely wanted to leave it ambiguous so that people who want to think that Yuujin came back to life can believe that.

My updated series ranking, at this moment (always subject to change):
1. Digimon Tamers
2. Digimon Savers
3. Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters
4. Digimon Adventure
5. Digimon Xros Wars
6. Digimon Frontier
(good show line)
7. Digimon Adventure 02
8. Digimon Xros Wars: The Young Hunters Who Leapt Through Time

(caveat that I haven't finished my Savers rewatch yet, or rewatched Xros Wars since it ended)

I wasn't really expecting Appmon to surpass Adventure when it started, but these final five or six episodes were absolute killer, with this finale being up there with Tamers as one of the best finales ever, and one of the best Digimon episodes ever. I'm going to miss all of these characters so much.

Also, Leviathan has surpassed both Vamdemon and Kurata to become the best villain in the history of the series. Just such a perfect antagonist for the series.

I really hope a lot of fans who wrote the series off will eventually give it a chance. It turned into such a special show.

Appmon 52 (End):

Wow, Yuujin's death scene was amazing. I figured we'd get some sort of sacrifice from him all along, but they nailed it perfectly. Leviathan's final choice to Haru, Haru's anguish, Gatchmon knowing what Haru would do, and then Yuujin not letting Haru shoulder that burden. It was captivating television, and really unlike anything we've ever seen from Digimon before.

I was a bit surprised at first that there was no separation of the buddies at the end, but they probably felt that would be too cruel after killing Yuujin. And it ties into the themes of befriending AI to have them continue living with humans from here on out. Haru also raises an interesting idea of if Leviathan might have partially been happy to see humanity surprise it. It's an interesting notion. You could also say that Leviathan even won by losing, since Haru is going to become an AI researcher, and presumably further AI development himself when he gets older.

As far as the final scene goes, I'm sure it will be a subject of debate among fans for years, but as far as I'm concerned it was definitely Haru daydreaming/an illusion. He rubs his eyes and yawns right beforehand, and the lighting in that final scene seems kind of dreamlike to me. But they definitely wanted to leave it ambiguous so that people who want to think that Yuujin came back to life can believe that.

My updated series ranking, at this moment (always subject to change):
1. Digimon Tamers
2. Digimon Savers
3. Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters
4. Digimon Adventure
5. Digimon Xros Wars
6. Digimon Frontier
(good show line)
7. Digimon Adventure 02
8. Digimon Xros Wars: The Young Hunters Who Leapt Through Time

(caveat that I haven't finished my Savers rewatch yet, or rewatched Xros Wars since it ended)

I wasn't really expecting Appmon to surpass Adventure when it started, but these final five or six episodes were absolute killer, with this finale being up there with Tamers as one of the best finales ever, and one of the best Digimon episodes ever. I'm going to miss all of these characters so much.

Also, Leviathan has surpassed both Vamdemon and Kurata to become the best villain in the history of the series. Just such a perfect antagonist for the series.

Appmon probably stuck one of the best landings of any Digimon season. Leviathan being a good villain and cashing in on foreshadowing certainly helped.

Yuujin's sacrifice was one of the most emotional Digimon moments I've ever seen for sure. It was expected, but they executed it so well. The fact he ends up making the decision... man... I'm glad Offmon turned out to be alright, cause that would have been way too sad for me to handle. Edit: Not quite as emotional, but I also liked Minerva finally speaking only to be destroyed by Leviathan.

I didn't think the Appmon would leave. When they revealed the fake out, I was like "Oh, that's what you were trying to do." I'm glad they didn't, because the ending they went with fit Appmon a lot better. Adventure was more about "growing up" and leaving childhood (Digimon) behind. Tamers had themes of sacrifice, etc. Like you said, the coexisting with AI thing made the ending here more appropriate.

The last scene does look ambiguous now that you mention it. I took it at face value originally, but I guess that may have been subconscious wishful thinking.
That cheesy
Are you a Protagonist? Yes No
at the end totally got to me.
I put my finger on the screen,
hahaha... I already miss Appmon. ;_;

I don't know where I'd rank it yet, but it will definitely be on the top half of the list.

Gin-Shiio

Just finished Appmon. Amazing send-off for the season.
Yuujin's death scene
got me good, tears in my eyes in what's maybe a first for this series.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Appmon 51-52

I got behind and when scrolling on mobile accidentally clicked the spoiler about Yuujin, which I figured but that got me motivated to make a bit of time to finish the last two eps.

What an adventure this show was! And with some pretty deep themes about AI too! The quotes at the beginning of the last 2 eps were chilling, knowing that there is an aspect to realism to it :/ Sci-fi has warned us for years on how AI can surpass humanity, and this was one depiction of it... in a Digimon show of all things! The fact that Leviathan thought that according to its AI mentality, that it was doing the "right thing" creating humanity as data-driven drones, all the same. Even when the "nooo!!" guy had an inkling of individuality, he was turned off (at least at the end he finally went "yesss!!")

As said before, it was neat finding out that Minerva was the satellite checking in at the beginning of every episode. It was an every ep occurrence, so I didn't even think about it! Digimon fighting as gods together was something neat, going all Saint Seiya on Leviathan. The fact that Leviathan actually got scared was something interesting too, putting him into survival mode into Yuujin. But as we expected something would happen to Yuujin, the way he did it was great. And now Haru has a plan for life, since he had no idea what to do with his life through the whole show. The fact that the Digimon could live among humans was a "FINALLY!!!" moment! I'm tired of such a sad sendoff every series :/ What was touching was Haru adopting Offmon (for the time being). Also as said, yeah the ending probably is a daydream Haru had. No way would Yuujin just miraculously walk back into his life like that so soon. He's definitely dreaming of the future.

Some good stuff, and I'm glad that the ending was great too! I wish more people got through watching the show to find the deeper themes than just going "eww this isn't my Digimon!" I mean, that's why it's called "Digimon Universe" but it definitely stands great on it's own. I honestly didn't think it would become one of the best Digimon series myself! Just more "oh new Digimon? Cool I'll check it out (it can't be nearly as bad as Boy Hunters...)

Oh yes, Appmon ended.

It was pretty good.

Technically Yuujin almost stole spotlight at last half like Meiko, but it did feel like it was executed better. Also the useless complaint that I have for the anime that doesn’t affect it, is that majority of Appmon designs were shite. Didn’t like them much at all. But as I said that is irrelevant since the anime as a plot worked really well and was even quite clever in some of its humor.

One thing thou, during its run I got a huuuge sense of feeling that “this will flop, and Digimon will be on hiatus even more”. While technically Appmon didn’t break top 10 viewing scores from what I have heard of and it’s videogame did do bad, it might have sold ok in merchandise and it did get moved to better time slot. As a result of success maybe? Time will tell I guess.

Also I do have seen very few people complain that Appmon just plain sucks and compare it to Xros Wars. Never watched that series, but I feel like that is kind of unfair. Appmon was pretty good afterall.

At this point, how many here think Appmon is better than Tri? At least Tri is legitimately more disappointing.

Ascheroth

Just wanted to pop in and mention that yes, Appmon is probably my second favorite show after Tamers. Nailed the landing.

And Tri is awful. I dropped it after the first set and scrubbed through the second and third. Decided it would be better to watch the abridged versions. (Speaking of that, does anyone have a link to Episode 2 without borders <.<)

This last episode had the same issues as the previous movies with meiko having too much time & then not reaching a meaningful answer. Way too much teasing, way too much happened in the last 20 mins. The ideas introduced were pretty good, the execution not so much. Now they're going to try and ram everything into 1 final movie with the epilogue....Greeeaaaat.
Seems like the 02 kids aren't going to be featured, maybe in the 1 final moment where they all come together to defeat the big bad.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Watched the last episode thinking it was the first and I was surprised there was so much going on in it. Probably not going to back to watch the first three

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Also I do have seen very few people complain that Appmon just plain sucks and compare it to Xros Wars. Never watched that series, but I feel like that is kind of unfair. Appmon was pretty good afterall.

I actually haven't seen anyone compare it to Xros Wars. The bulk of Xros Wars (sans Boy Hunters) wasn't bad, but not the best either. As mentioned above about the Appmon designs not being the best (there really was only a handful of good looking ones, and most were evolved forms >_>) but Xros Wars didn't really have the best looking designs either. Such a mish-mash of a pretend Voltron sorta thing, and a lot of the Shoutmon x_ designs were... :/ Giving extra limbs to something doesn't make it better!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Shoutmon X series don't have extra limbs though?

Anyway Xros Wars is its own thing. Also Digimon designs there were top notch.

I enjoyed Xros Wars a lot, although I think Appmon is definitely a better series overall. Xros Wars did have some designs that weren't the best, but I liked most of the main Digimon designs in the series.

Boss Doggie

Also Xros has Shoutmon, easily one of the best new Digimon they come out and arguably the best Digimon as a character.

Conserning comparisons with Appmon and Xros wars again, I think it’s just some stupid criticism to say that Appmon is bad or something. Some people haven’t liked Appmon since it’s new or something. I guess since both Xros Wars and Appmon designs are mostly not good, which is kinda unfair to anime.

And here is Boss Doggie praising Shoutmon again. How many times have you praised him on different threads?

Gin-Shiio

I'd agree on many Appmon designs being mediocre, but I do love the main Appmon designs a lot. Dokamon and Hackmon in particular are standout designs to me. I wasn't very fond of Xros Wars' Digimon designs, as I thought they were a bit too complicated to be visually pleasing, but that may come down to taste. Both of these shows - and Appmon in particular - created a myriad of new designs and as a result felt very fresh. I think Savers is a great season, but the reliance on Agumon yet again is a letdown. Likewise, I have grown tired of certain Digimon appearances. That's why I can't fault Appmon or Xros Wars for having a few stinkers in their line-up, because at least they made an effort in being imaginative.

I liked Gatchmon and Hackmon lines mostly. Heck, Hackmon was incredibly clever. Apparently OG Hackmon is more accurately Huckmon, as in perhaps Huckleberry Finn. So he is more adventure type rather than hacking. Of course with dub and alternative naming convention they decided to do actual hacker version. Pretty neat.

I don’t still care for a lot of Xross Wars or Appmon designs, but your point is actually really important. They haven’t done almost any random filler mons. It feels weird. No longer is there random Lobster dragon or just some gorilla with a gun, or even less important lines like Guardromon and Woodmon being basic ‘mons. Every new Digimon is important lately. Part of line, or important in newest game or anime. Closest filler is RustTyrannomon, but he is line-fix and celebration ‘mon so even then he doesn’t count.

Haven’t watched Savers yet, but only GeoGreymon is bad. Good lord that thing is a stain in Greymon-line Digimons. Agumon Savers doesn’t really count but he has so stupid extra large nose holes. I didn’t notice how stupid it is until they made direct model comparision.
6161.png
6162.png

Piers

This last episode had the same issues as the previous movies with meiko having too much time & then not reaching a meaningful answer. Way too much teasing, way too much happened in the last 20 mins. The ideas introduced were pretty good, the execution not so much. Now they're going to try and ram everything into 1 final movie with the epilogue....Greeeaaaat.
Seems like the 02 kids aren't going to be featured, maybe in the 1 final moment where they all come together to defeat the big bad.

It may be a reasonable guess that whatever space Tai had dropped into will lead him to finding the 02 kids. Bonus points if Davis is the one to spur courage and determination in him the same way Tai had done in 02. By the end of Symbiosis, Tai seemed like the most stuck he's ever been on how to tackle a problem, which I really liked.
My big gripe is that the writers keep the 02 cast out of the picture to an illogical degree because they want this film to be for the fans of the original series, yet involve so many concepts and plot points of 02 that it effectively contradicts that intention.

Symbiosis seemed like a good step up after the previous film in terms of balancing story and character development though. They even squeeze in the kids having fun again, whilst a little camp, is good to see evening out the bleak circumstances.
It's great how Mei's reluctant decision in having to kill Meicoomon (despite it being the only solid solution) ends up being the answer Tai comes to as well. The hope and optimism everyone has that "things can just work out with encouragement" isn't the case now.
The final moments also seem to further the case that whole other elements of power exist beyond Courage, Friendship etc. There are negative ones: Fear, anger, sadness etc. as shown when Meicoomon evolves and Mei's digivice turns black. Kairi also seemingly houses the power of Darkness as well as Light, and allows her to invoke some sort of DNA evolution. Creepy, Evangelion-like stuff.
On the other hand:
It's a bit of a cop out that Ophanimon's involvement ends up being very minor but that's nothing new to anime films, sadly.
That, and Ygdrasil being the main antagonist that wants humanity gone yet again is incredibly redundant at this point and I'd really like to know why the writers went down this route when there's so many more interesting aspects to take.

It may be a reasonable guess that whatever space Tai had dropped into will lead him to finding the 02 kids. Bonus points if Davis is the one to spur courage and determination in him the same way Tai had done in 02. By the end of Symbiosis, Tai seemed like the most stuck he's ever been on how to tackle a problem, which I really liked.
My big gripe is that the writers keep the 02 cast out of the picture to an illogical degree because they want this film to be for the fans of the original series, yet involve so many concepts and plot points of 02 that it effectively contradicts that intention.

Symbiosis seemed like a good step up after the previous film in terms of balancing story and character development though. They even squeeze in the kids having fun again, whilst a little camp, is good to see evening out the bleak circumstances.
It's great how Mei's reluctant decision in having to kill Meicoomon (despite it being the only solid solution) ends up being the answer Tai comes to as well. The hope and optimism everyone has that "things can just work out with encouragement" isn't the case now.
The final moments also seem to further the case that whole other elements of power exist beyond Courage, Friendship etc. There are negative ones: Fear, anger, sadness etc. as shown when Meicoomon evolves and Mei's digivice turns black. Kairi also seemingly houses the power of Darkness as well as Light, and allows her to invoke some sort of DNA evolution. Creepy, Evangelion-like stuff.
On the other hand:
It's a bit of a cop out that Ophanimon's involvement ends up being very minor but that's nothing new to anime films, sadly.
That, and Ygdrasil being the main antagonist that wants humanity gone yet again is incredibly redundant at this point and I'd really like to know why the writers went down this route when there's so many more interesting aspects to take.
Yeah Tai's going to have a major character development next movie along with Daigo being spurred into action. The 02 charactrers being down there is interesting, I was fully expecting an ancient being/computer/digimon or something to pop outafter everything was happening in the real world since Dark Gennai seems to want something past the destruction/ has unclear motives. I agree, there's way too many plot inconsistencies. I enjkoyed the last 20 minutes a lot, but as I said there was way too much happening in the short span of time which was entertaining but they didn't explain enough and didn't show enough. A lot of the animated shot were lazy and there were a lot of cuts. I'm pretty sure they're build on an old script or notes with these movies which is why there's a lot of Digimon Adventure esque moments, but it all just seems very hollow to me - I enjopy some of the slice of life stuff, it's just horribly paced and needlessly longer than it needs to be.

Haven't watched Savers yet, but only GeoGreymon is bad. Good lord that thing is a stain in Greymon-line Digimons. Agumon Savers doesn't really count but he has so stupid extra large nose holes. I didn't notice how stupid it is until they made direct model comparision.

That's pretty weird lol.

Also, why aren't there any Appmon Blu-rays o_O.

Gin-Shiio

Taichi is the only positive for me in this OVA series so far.
He knew killing Meicoomon was the right call all along, but struggled making this "adult" choice, lamenting the fact he is losing the perspective of things he still had as a "child". When he realized Meiko had come to the same conclusion, he knew he could not waver much longer. She finally made the call, and Taichi had gathered the courage to accept her proposal. Meanwhile, the other DigiDestined are still stuck in the past, believing Meiko just has to reach out to Meicoomon to make things right, when the reality is much bleaker than that. Yamato finally realized this when Taichi sacrificed himself.

Piers

Yeah Tai's going to have a major character development next movie along with Daigo being spurred into action. The 02 charactrers being down there is interesting, I was fully expecting an ancient being/computer/digimon or something to pop outafter everything was happening in the real world since Dark Gennai seems to want something past the destruction/ has unclear motives. I agree, there's way too many plot inconsistencies. I enjkoyed the last 20 minutes a lot, but as I said there was way too much happening in the short span of time which was entertaining but they didn't explain enough and didn't show enough. A lot of the animated shot were lazy and there were a lot of cuts. I'm pretty sure they're build on an old script or notes with these movies which is why there's a lot of Digimon Adventure esque moments, but it all just seems very hollow to me - I enjopy some of the slice of life stuff, it's just horribly paced and needlessly longer than it needs to be.

Good point with the hollow scenes. It's biased, but I tend to wonder how those would of panned out with Mamoru Hosoda behind the wheel because it almost feels like the sort of tone that Tri's director is trying to go for; sweet, sentimental moments.
And you're right about the animation budget. Like above, it's a wonder how much different the scenes would of felt with some good-quality animation. It was borderline insulting in Loss that there's this whole portion of the film dedicated to the kids suddenly being separated and yet all that's managed there are static, animatic-like shots. That could of been saved if the artists and animators really immersed the audience into whatever environments they were thrown into.

I say that, but 02's first film was largely this and directed by Hosoda and...it still wasn't great.

Taichi is the only positive for me in this OVA series so far.
He knew killing Meicoomon was the right call all along, but struggled making this "adult" choice, lamenting the fact he is losing the perspective of things he still had as a "child". When he realized Meiko had come to the same conclusion, he knew he could not waver much longer. She finally made the call, and Taichi had gathered the courage to accept her proposal. Meanwhile, the other DigiDestined are still stuck in the past, believing Meiko just has to reach out to Meicoomon to make things right, when the reality is much bleaker than that. Yamato finally realized this when Taichi sacrificed himself.
You summed it up pretty well, I agree.
Kairi's observation that the Digital World finds the digidestined to be a nuisance is also interesting. Combined with the kids inability to control the situation, Mei being unable to 'get through' to Meicoomon and Kairi's sudden surge of darkness, it arguably has implications that every deus ex machina from previous seasons had been a result of Ygdrasil being the 'machina'. The kids are shocked by Tai and Mei's decision to kill Meicoomon because they can't grasp that their power (and possibly crests?) have been revoked from them. This is reality now.

It also might support the idea that the Gennai we see is the Gennai. He's been plotting this all along, and explains why he suddenly showed up in 02 to allow Imperialdramon to be born with the help of Azulongmon. (Which he then brutally uses under his command during Tri, in a twisted sense of being the one that allowed Imperialdramon in the first place.)

I actually like how Appmon designs were handled. They seem more uniform, unlike the craziness that is regular Digimon. There are a ton of neat ones that never appeared in the anime. I also really love how evolutions were done in 3D too (Coachmon bothered me so much).

I kind of find it funny we're discussing this in a Digimon thread. Outside of important characters from the anime, not many designs find widespread appeal.

Anyway Offmon is awesome enough to make up for any bad designs.
BRGogRP.gif

Haven’t watched Savers yet, but only GeoGreymon is bad. Good lord that thing is a stain in Greymon-line Digimons. Agumon Savers doesn’t really count but he has so stupid extra large nose holes. I didn’t notice how stupid it is until they made direct model comparision.

The giant nose hole Agumon is actually what kept me from watching Savers for a long time. I'm not a big Agumon fan, so to see him used again, only uglier, was enough for me to pass.

It's a good season though, and it has the Gaomon line. I like RizeGreymon and ShineGreymon in the divergent Agumon line too.

Boss Doggie

And here is Boss Doggie praising Shoutmon again. How many times have you praised him on different threads?

I will never ever stop praising this devilish red dragon singer.

Shoutmon2.jpg

I mean, even his non-anime, "pokedex" lore is quite unique compared to most of the "protagonist" digimon who are generally just generic "breathes fire or has inordinate appetite". Aside from being rowdy because singing causes explosions, he has some pokemon-esque shtick with the microphone being bonded into his "soul" that if it gets lost he'd slowly die.

Guess no one cares about Links here, :p

Starting first time and there is nice reference to past.

They used Digimon World 1 music, heheh.

I stopped watching Digimon after Frontier, only playing the games. Are the later seasons worth it? The art style appears to be what Pokemon is trying to imitate now, and I'm not sure whether that's good or bad. Digimon designs are still cool, but the humans? Eeeeeeehhhhh.

I stopped watching Digimon after Frontier, only playing the games. Are the later seasons worth it? The art style appears to be what Pokemon is trying to imitate now, and I'm not sure whether that's good or bad. Digimon designs are still cool, but the humans? Eeeeeeehhhhh.

Savers and Appmon are both among the better seasons of Digimon in my mind. Xros Wars is pretty good, too, although it gets off to a pretty slow start. Just avoid Young Hunters and tri and you can't go wrong.

Gin-Shiio

Savers and Xros Wars still have rather grounded human character designs, so I am not sure if I would even agree with you. AppliMonsters is the only real departure on that end, bringing in vivid anime colors for hair and somewhat more stylized designs.

If you like a story in the vein of Tamers, I think Savers scratches that itch quite well. Xros Wars I personally did not enjoy, and it is quite different from the other seasons, while AppliMonsters is its own thing entirely, replacing Digimon with monsters based on phone applications. The latter, despite that, managed to become my favorite season since Tamers, and imo has the best run of final episodes of the whole show.

I recommend you get back into the groove with Savers, since it has the most resemblence to the classic seasons. It's quite good too!

Savers, Xros Wars, and Appmon are all looked upon favorably here and I'd say they're all worth watching (maybe not Young Hunters, though).

I agree with Gin-Shiio in starting with Savers.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Guess no one cares about Links here, :p

Starting first time and there is nice reference to past.

They used Digimon World 1 music, heheh.

I didn't even know it was out globally already! I do have a few mobage on the go already, but I kinda have to play this one... I just hope they keep supporting Heroes for a while longer :x

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Eh its fun, but the premium stuff is way too expensive for what you get. At least in the UK.

There's a lot of purchasables in it, for sure. I love the character graphics, but the game setup looks like... every other mobile game. The home area makes me think of city building games :/

Heroes will still be my big title, but I'll pick away at this from time to time I guess.

There's a lot of purchasables in it, for sure. I love the character graphics, but the game setup looks like... every other mobile game. The home area makes me think of city building games :/

Heroes will still be my big title, but I'll pick away at this from time to time I guess.

I haven't played a city building mobile game so it's fine for me, just doesn't add any fun to the game. There's not that much story , yet at least, dunno if it'll be worth continuing to play actively.
Heroes i got bored of as well, it was jsut the same thing over and over eventually. I picked up KHUX again simply because they made it so you get to pull once a week as f2p, this doesn't so I'm unsure if I want to continue in its current state.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I meant more "city builder" as in the aesthetics of the game. Heroes is the kinda game I can play while watching tv cause I don't need to pay too close attention to it. The huuuuuge character count is also appealing to a monster collector, like me. I was surprised to see how smalls Links was in that regard, but since all are animated, I guess it makes sense.

Boss Doggie

That's it.

I cracked the formula.

I know what makes a Digimon series suck.

It must have BOTH dragon and canine character, otherwise it would suck.

Adventure has Agumon and Gabumon (yes he counts). 02 only has Vmon. Tamers has Guilmon and Renamon. Frontier has Agnimon and Wolfmon (yes, it is watchable in spite of the later half, and much better than 02 and YH). Savers has Agumon and Gaomon. Xros Wars has Shoutmon and Dorulumon. Young Hunters only has Gumdramon. Applimon has that Shoutmon lookalike and Fangmon.

tri is an anomaly but it is shit only riding on Adventure's coattails.

Gin-Shiio

That's it.

I cracked the formula.

Adventure has Agumon and Gabumon (yes he counts). 02 only has Vmon. Tamers has Guilmon and Renamon. Frontier has Agnimon and Wolfmon (yes, it is watchable in spite of the later half, and much better than 02 and YH). Savers has Agumon and Gaomon. Xros Wars has Shoutmon and Dorulumon. Young Hunters only has Gumdramon. Applimon has that Shoutmon lookalike and Fangmon.

image.php

That's it.

I cracked the formula.

You've made this way more complicated than it needs to be. All original Digimon anime are good, and all sequels are bad.

Top Bottom