• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Community Thread |OT| For all the Digidestined on GAF

Savers gets knocked down some because of the middle arc being bad. It does have the best arc of any season though (although I haven't seen Xros Wars).

I stopped a rewatch of 02 back in January about half way through. I've never done that to a season of Digimon before, but the more I watch them over and over the more I feel 02 takes a serious nosedive after all the Emperor stuff.

I stopped a rewatch of 02 back in January about half way through. I've never done that to a season of Digimon before, but the more I watch them over and over the more I feel 02 takes a serious nosedive after all the Emperor stuff.

Yep. The ending is what really pissed people off and hope it gets retconned to hell in Tri.

-Deimos

It does and I'm finding it really hard to finish, but I have to before moving on to Tamers.

Stuart444

Savers gets knocked down some because of the middle arc being bad. It does have the best arc of any season though (although I haven't seen Xros Wars).

Yeah, Savers middle arc did drag a bit but the series did have one of the best enemies in
KURATA!!!!!

Also episode 15 = ;_; Not as good in English but still good (compared both versions of it <.< but Believer ultimately makes the JP version edge it out during the fight scene)

I like the English Digimon Frontier OP more: https://youtu.be/9eOJsm9ubGk

Yay, someone else likes this op. It's one of my favourite English Digimon opening. I wanted to like Data Squads opening (and I do to an extent) but that one falls short because the Op visuals feel half arsed in comparison to the JP version imo.

(I may also be slightly bias'd with Savers because it was the first time I watched Digimon in JP language. The inserts, the Ops/Eds, etc were all great)

But yeah, Frontier was a great English opening. Also the first time we didn't have the old "Digimon, DIgital Monsters" op (which I loved but it was a nice change with Frontier I thought)

I-hate-u

Oh how much I wished the last arc of Savers was longer. It did have the potential to be the best season ever, but I think its a tie between the Vandemon in Adventure and Juri/Beelzebumon in Tamers arcs.

Nice thread OP.

Lol I've seen some of the dub (Fusion) but never got that into it.

Savers gets credit for the best opening though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWYKSOJti4g

You might like this.

Stuart444

Wait there's a movie literally called "The Boy Hunters Who Leapt Through Time"?

*snicker*
That's...unfortunate.

It's not under movies in the Op ;).

But yes, it's the final part of the Xros Wars/Season 6 series.

edit: Also speaking of Savers.

I was very disappointed that (Spoilers for Ep12+ of Savers)
Chika never became part of the team with Piyomon. It seemed near the end before he got 'killed' in episode 12 (I think it was), they could have become a team member to DATS considering how strong Piyomon's desire to protect Chika was. I was very glad to see him remember later on though and become Garudamon even without a Digivice, all she needed was the power of Chikas Digisoul, Loved those bits

Oh how much I wished the last arc of Savers was longer. It did have the potential to be the best season ever, but I think its a tie between the Vandemon in Adventure and Juri/Beelzebumon in Tamers arcs.

Nice thread OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWYKSOJti4g

You might like this.

Myotismon arc is great but drags a little when they get back to the real world. I love the back half of Tamers and would rank it second but there's something nostalgic about Savers Royal Knights arc that puts it on top for me.

Not much of a fan of that version of that song but I have listened to the full one in Savers before.

Subbed!

Anyone here collect the Digivices? I had all the US ones when I was a kid and got my parents to import a few as they came out but when I got a real job a few summers ago I finally imported a bunch of Japanese ones on YJA: D-Arks, minis, Pendulums, D-3s, the Bandai Asia releases, and even a CIB Analyzer. Probably have 25+ at this point.

Anyways, I've been itching to run through Tamers again soon. It's always been my favorite but I have a fond memory of emailing Konaka when I was 12 or 13 and actually getting a pretty lengthy response. I hate that the email account (pokemonforever.zzn lol) is long gone.

Usobuko

Banned
Subbed!

Anyone here collect the Digivices? I had all the US ones when I was a kid and got my parents to import a few as they came out but when I got a real job a few summers ago I finally imported a bunch of Japanese ones on YJA: D-Arks, minis, Pendulums, D-3s, the Bandai Asia releases, and even a CIB Analyzer. Probably have 25+ at this point.

Anyways, I've been itching to run through Tamers again soon. It's always been my favorite but I have a fond memory of emailing Konaka when I was 12 or 13 and actually getting a pretty lengthy response. I hate that the email account (pokemonforever.zzn lol) is long gone.

I still have the green one( AeroVeedramon) , black one ( WarGrey ) and silverish white one. ( I forgot what it has but it's based on angelic digimons rather than the Metaletemon ).

JCX

While cleaning out my basement I found my Tamers Digivice. When I was a kid I had the digivices from S1 - S4. So much time spent just shaking the digivice.

Edit: And Tamers is obviously the best season. 1 had too much filler to qualify.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Subbed!

Anyone here collect the Digivices?

Yeah, I loved the ones where you shook them and went on an adventure based on the show...I had the Adventure, 02, and Frontier one, plus the D-Terminal which was basically a "PokeDex" for Digimon. I remember when I went to summer camp taking them with me when we went on hikes, even though having electronics was against the rules and probably a ton of people thought I was a huge nerd for it. But I don't care.

Was disappointed though as a kid to learn that the Japanese ones usually had more interesting functions, like the Frontier one iirc could actually scan barcodes while the US one just made you scan your hand which barely worked.

The Tamers one was the last digivice I had. It had an awesome campaign that I never managed to finish.

While cleaning out my basement I found my Tamers Digivice. When I was a kid I had the digivices from S1 - S4. So much time spent just shaking the digivice.

Edit: And Tamers is obviously the best season. 1 had too much filler to qualify.

Yeah, I loved the ones where you shook them and went on an adventure based on the show...I had the Adventure, 02, and Frontier one, plus the D-Terminal which was basically a "PokeDex" for Digimon. I remember when I went to summer camp taking them with me when we went on hikes, even though having electronics was against the rules and probably a ton of people thought I was a huge nerd for it. But I don't care.

Was disappointed though as a kid to learn that the Japanese ones usually had more interesting functions, like the Frontier one iirc could actually scan barcodes while the US one just made you scan your hand which barely worked.

It's so funny that you all mention the shaking, haha. I got my hands on a cheap 15th Anniversary Digivice recently and I showed it to my girlfriend, mentioning how I used to just shake these damn things constantly. She definitely didn't get the appeal, lol. A few friends and I brought them to school with us all the time...one of our teachers even confiscated them from us one day. Memories.

The whole concept was super cool, though. I love the v-pets, but the actual Digivices were just so much fun, especially considering that a lot of them had secret bosses and stuff like that. I spent most of those years on Megchan's Digimon Boards, so it was kind of a bummer to see people posting about how awesome the Japanese Digivices were compared to the American ones, especially the D-Arc and D-Scanner. Even the D-3 was cooler!

I still have the green one( AeroVeedramon) , black one ( WarGrey ) and silverish white one. ( I forgot what it has but it's based on angelic digimons rather than the Metaletemon ).

I'd really like to pick up more of the actual V-Pets, but there are just SO many of them.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I had Yamato's blue Digivice when they first came out. I believe that I raised a Gabumon at the time, as I don't think Tailmon was even on it then. I still really like Gabumon though :)

Seasons 1 and 3 are my favourite, personally!

I also loveeeee the Digimon movie. The nostalgia :'). And the soundtrack in that movie is probably one of the best soundtracks ever, IMO.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I also loveeeee the Digimon movie. The nostalgia :'). And the soundtrack in that movie is probably one of the best soundtracks ever, IMO.

Sounds like someone needs to see the 3 movies separately still. The American soundtrack doesn't hold a candle to the OST of those movies... Well, except maybe Hurricane Touchdown! I just didn't like the acoustic guitar...

Sounds like someone needs to see the 3 movies separately still. The American soundtrack doesn't hold a candle to the OST of those movies... Well, except maybe Hurricane Touchdown! I just didn't like the acoustic guitar...

Yeah I haven't seen those yet.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you for filling me in :) I'm definitely going to try and check it out this weekend <3

Let us know what you think :)

I mean, I watched my VHS copy of the dub movie and thought it was amazing and even listened to the cd of it A LOT. Then I saw the movies in their original form... the music and everything was the real turning point to get me into subbed Digimon.

Let us know what you think :)

I mean, I watched my VHS copy of the dub movie and thought it was amazing and even listened to the cd of it A LOT. Then I saw the movies in their original form... the music and everything was the real turning point to get me into subbed Digimon.

I agree. I still like the American version, but the Japanese movies are completely different beasts. Definitely required watching for Digimon fans. I do think that the American movie works really well in the context of the dubbed series, though.

Speaking of the movies, if anyone here hasn't seen 4, 5, 6, and 7...you need to get on those right now, subbed or dubbed! They don't quite match up to Mamoru Hosoda's work, but they're still a fun, short watch if you're a fan of each series. I haven't seen any of the movies post-Frontier but I found a lot to like in 4-7. I have a soft spot for 5's depiction of Okinawa and the focus on Ruki in 6. :)

I've seen all the movie unless there's one from Xros Wars. 4th was decent but I didn't like that Tai's voice was changed. 5th was ok but the ending was stupid. 6th is the 2nd best one (behind Our War Game) but the ending made me sad. 7th bothered me a little because of how much 3d was mixed into it. The Savers movie is good but really short. The 3d movie was painful for me because of how terrible it looked but the story is decent.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of the movies, if anyone here hasn't seen 4, 5, 6, and 7...you need to get on those right now, subbed or dubbed! They don't quite match up to Mamoru Hosoda's work, but they're still a fun, short watch if you're a fan of each series. I haven't seen any of the movies post-Frontier but I found a lot to like in 4-7. I have a soft spot for 5's depiction of Okinawa and the focus on Ruki in 6. :)

I'll be honest, I was really looking forward to Movie 4 and even did a whole fanfic based on it back in the day just by listening to the music. Turns out (besides the fanfic elements I added...) was that I was VERY close with the story >_> It really is kind of like a Bokura no Wargame redux. At least Ken was in it. But I only actually watched it through once >_>

Adventurer's Battle is fun, but I'm not a fan with the whole villain aspect, just Minami and Mei's relationship was touching.

The Runaway DigiExpress is ok, but I mostly liked it for the song that both Ruki's seiyuu and AiM did :)

The Frontier movie I need to give a rewatch. I remember really liking it, probably even more than the show itself >_>

The Savers movie I don't remember one bit, but MAL tells me that I DID see it :p

EDIT: I always forget about X- Evolution and need to rewatch that too. Saw it as a terrible rip, but the only one at the time. Now that it has a shiny blu ray rip I can actually SEE past the blurriness!

Haha, totally forgot that X-Evolution was even a thing. I distinctly remember that the rip I had was a very shitty one. Pains of being a Digimon fan in the early 00s lol.

Seriously though, it's probably been at least 10 years since I've seen the 6th movie or listened to the song and I still know the lyrics to Yuuhi no Yakusoku by heart, haha.

The first US movie and X-Evolution are the only two I've seen. I planned on watching all of them in the right place of my whole series rewatch but then
happened lol. I really want to see those Tamers movies. Always thought the ending of Tamers was a bit too open ended so I should see how the story continues from there.

The first US movie and X-Evolution are the only two I've seen. I planned on watching all of them in the right place of my whole series rewatch but then

happened lol. I really want to see those Tamers movies. Always thought the ending of Tamers was a bit too open ended so I should see how the story continues from there.

First Tamers movie takes place I think right before they go into the Digital World. Second one takes place after the ending.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
I've always considered Tamers the best season, but that was based on the English dub I saw on Fox around a decade ago. I probably would have gotten to rewatching it by now if 02 wasn't such a pain to go through.

That cyber sleuth slip up by Amazon was too good to be a mistake. Maybe they're going all in with the digimon hype -if we're lucky asr2 might be announced (I cringed while typing that).

jimwhat

Yeah, Savers middle arc did drag a bit but the series did have one of the best enemies in
KURATA!!!!!

Also episode 15 = ;_; Not as good in English but still good (compared both versions of it <.< but Believer ultimately makes the JP version edge it out during the fight scene)

Yay, someone else likes this op. It's one of my favourite English Digimon opening. I wanted to like Data Squads opening (and I do to an extent) but that one falls short because the Op visuals feel half arsed in comparison to the JP version imo.

(I may also be slightly bias'd with Savers because it was the first time I watched Digimon in JP language. The inserts, the Ops/Eds, etc were all great)

But yeah, Frontier was a great English opening. Also the first time we didn't have the old "Digimon, DIgital Monsters" op (which I loved but it was a nice change with Frontier I thought)

Yeah, definitely a nice change. Can't say I loved the show that much though lol

stryke

I've always considered Tamers the best season, but that was based on the English dub I saw on Fox around a decade ago. I probably would have gotten to rewatching it by now if 02 wasn't such a pain to go through.

Why not just skip 02 then?

Top Bottom