• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Community Thread |OT| For all the Digidestined on GAF

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Sorry about the delay. I will get to make the XW OP stuff.

I'd argue Frontier was good up until the main character and his rival took up the screentime. With that said it's much better than 02 or Young Hunters.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
With that said it's much better than 02 or Young Hunters.

I'll give Frontier another try one of these days (Savers before, though) but 02 still has Ken in it, which already makes it top-tier for me just from that aspect. Just too bad 02 overall sucks though :( They did have some good ideas, but the last bit of the show just went to poop...

I-hate-u

Sorry about the delay. I will get to make the XW OP stuff.

I'd argue Frontier was good up until the main character and his rival took up the screentime. With that said it's much better than 02 or Young Hunters.

Considering how interesting the leads were compared to the other trio, I had no problem with it.
Also, I liked the Koji/Kouchi story focus towards the second half a lot.
Frontier story spoiler kinda^^

Considering how interesting the leads were compared to the other trio, I had no problem with it.
Also, I liked the Koji/Kouchi story focus towards the second half a lot.
Frontier story spoiler kinda^^

The one thing Frontier got right is it has the best cast of digidestined, although the ending feels forced.

I thought Frontier was decent, though not very memorable. Storywise, it's one of the more focused seasons. Felt like they actually knew what they wanted to do with the whole story from the very beginning. Not sure they knew what to do with most of the main characters though, but it followed through with its key ideas better than most of the other seasons.

Stuart444

It's not long until Japan and Anime Expo. So we'll see...

Also I enjoyed Frontier. The only series I didn't enjoy was Xros Wars outside of the last 2 episodes because cameos. (I literally didn't watch anything between episode 30 and the final two episodes of Young Hunters)

Boss Doggie

I'll give Frontier another try one of these days (Savers before, though) but 02 still has Ken in it, which already makes it top-tier for me just from that aspect. Just too bad 02 overall sucks though :( They did have some good ideas, but the last bit of the show just went to poop...

Ken is... what how not to write an atoner character.

I-hate-u

The one thing Frontier got right is it has the best cast of digidestined, although the ending feels forced.

Nah be, the three main characters of frontier are awesome, but Jenrya and Ruki make Tamers have the best cast automatically.

Frontier did have the best ending song in Digimon though.

EDIT: Best two endings.

Frontier is decent until the last arc which is the worst arc in the franchise except the second half of 02 (not including Xros Wars which I haven't seen).

True.
I wished they showed more RKs instead of those two whose fights were so repetitive. That said, the last arc did have a sense of despair in how the Digital world was getting scanned. Reminded me when the crests were destroyed in Adventure.

Frontier is decent until the last arc which is the worst arc in the franchise except the second half of 02 (not including Xros Wars which I haven't seen).

Nah be, the three main characters of frontier are awesome, but Jenrya and Ruki make Tamers have the best cast automatically.

Frontier did have the best ending song in Digimon though.

Rika is awesome but disagree some on Henry. Henry's pretty dull but gets made up for by Terriermon.

evanmisha

The true crime with Frontier was how great it started. Great cast, great animation, interesting premise-- but it was largely rejected. Toy sales weren't there, ratings weren't there, the diehard fans hated the evolution method... they slashed the budget, retooled it, slashed the budget again... It was just dreadful. Such an abrupt end to the franchise's golden era.

I-hate-u

Rika is awesome but disagree some on Henry. Henry's pretty dull but gets made up for by Terriermon.

Henry and Ruki, like Taichi and Takuya, experienced the some of the most characer growth compared to the rest of the Digi-digidestined in the Digimon saga.

Henry's and Ruki's characters basically slowly swap throughout the season, and is reflected through their Digimon evolutions. Henry is also half chinese, and he gets bonus points for that. He had some of the best parents in the show too. Actually, all the parents of the Tamers cast are top tier.

Henry and Ruki, like Taichi and Takuya, experienced the some of the most characer growth compared to the rest of the Digi-digidestined in the Digimon saga.

Henry's and Ruki's characters basically slowly swap throughout the season, and is reflected through their Digimon evolutions. Henry is also half chinese, and had some of the best parents in the show. Actually, all the parents of the Tamers cast are top tier.

Henry didn't change all that much. His dad had more character growth than he did.

Wazzy

Banned
I absolutely love Tamers even though I hated it when I was younger. Such a dark approach that really turns out great.

Also I prefer the American Digimon movie. I know the plots are messy and cut compared to the Japanese version but I do honestly think the first two parts work so well. The third part is the problem but even then I love it. I just wish they didn't cut the original crews part.

I-hate-u

Henry didn't change all that much. His dad had more character growth than he did.

He grew out of his passive nature, and realized how important power is to protect his loved ones. Despite that, he remains one of the most level "cool" headed main characters without the flaws of Yamato or Joe for example, and I guess that is what I like the most about him.

Boss Doggie

I disagree on the cast by virtue that none of them had Shoutmon.

Easily the best character in the franchise bar none. He has a character arc which changed from being a shitty, bratty kid digimon into a responsible, powerful fighter worthy of becoming the Digimon. He has no angst nor does he needs to have one - yet he has emotional problems like losing a best friend or trying to be a good leader to someone who has fallen.

But what I feel makes him better - he is a fucking Digimon. I don't even think the Digimon in Tamers felt full characters since they still wholly rely on their human partners. Shoutmon, while he is buddies with Taiki, can stand on his own. You can show his character even without mentioning Taiki. The story is centered around him and his ambition.

Boss Doggie

Xros Wars summary here!

Digimon Xros Wars (Xros is pronounced cross) is the sixth entry of the Digimon anime franchise, known in the US as Digimon Fusion and elsewhere as Digimon Fusion Battles.

In this show, a human named Taiki, along with his friends Akari and Zenjiro, were enjoying their break time after school when odd distortions are making havoc in the city. Suddenly he hears a sound that seems like it was calling for help. When he "connects" with this sound, another mysterious voice came out to give him the Xros Loader to save this sound. The three are dragged into the Digital World, and the sound gets reformed to his real state, Shoutmon. As it turns out, the Digital World has split into different Zones, and Shoutmon was fighting for his Zone (Green Zone) against the forces of the Bagra Army who had taken over because the enemy general stationed in Green Land had taken the Code Crown. And so Taiki, Shoutmon and the others start to form Xros Heart to stop the Bagra Army and liberate the other Lands, and possibly even reunite the Digital World whole again... all while facing other armies with human leaders.

JP -> EN (last names are kept)
Xros Wars -> Fusion
Taiki Kudou -> Tyson
Akari Hinomoto -> Angie
Zenjirou Tsurugi -> Jeremy
ChibiKamemon -> ChibiTortomon
Bastemon -> Beastmon (wat)
Revolmon -> Deputymon
Beelzebumon -> Beelzemon
Xros Heart -> Fusion Fighters
Kiriha Anouma -> Christopher
Twilight -> Midnight
DarkKnightmon -> AxeKnightmon (wat)
Yuu Amano -> Ewan
Bagramon -> Lord Bagra (wat)
Lilithmon -> Laylamon (apparently Laylamon was originally used for dub, then reverted to Lilithmon some time, then as of Fusion, reverted back again to Laylamon)
Baalmon -> Reapmon
Evilmon -> Vilemon
AncientVolcanomon -> AncientVolcamon
Mugendramon -> Machinedramon

The way the dub handled the show is... unsatisfying to say the least. It is best to watch this show subbed (either through RyuuRogue or through Crunchyroll). The dub feels like it's trying to be so 90's, and what's more, you lose a lot of the amazingness that is Wada Kouji's music - Xros Wars is rife with insert songs.

Should I do something for Young Hunters too?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
My GEM Koushirou and Mimi came in today! Holy crap these things just get more amazing every time! I'll have to do some photo shoots at the end of the year once my Jou/Sora and 2 packs of baby mixes come in :) Koushirou's hair is awesomely spikey and his laptop actually has a Digivice in it! Too bad no pineapple on it, but his shoes does have the lightning bolt on it.

These figures are too much :x Too bad no more TCG though.

Stuart444

Ok so news today:

https://twitter.com/netflixanime

Digimon: Digital Monsters (Seasons 1-3, Dub/Sub) available until 8/1/15 #anime

Also:

www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1074371

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth is coming to North America and Europe on PS4/Vita. English subs. Digital only in Europe at this point in time. (we have a bit to go until 2016 so that may change)

Regardless, it's probably our last chance with Digimon games in the west so do buy it :).

Voror

Very excited for Cyber Sleuth even if it is a year away. It'll actually be the first game for the series I'll have played as I missed the train on all the World games and always heard mixed things on some of the other releases.

I've only seen the first three series and it's probably a tie between One and Three for which is best, though with nostalgia I probably lean towards One. I haven't seen either in such a long time though that I should probably do a rewatch.

What of the later shows are worth watching? I remember hearing the fourth series was pretty weak, but can't recall what was said of the others.

Very excited for Cyber Sleuth even if it is a year away. It'll actually be the first game for the series I'll have played as I missed the train on all the World games and always heard mixed things on some of the other releases.

I've only seen the first three series and it's probably a tie between One and Three for which is best, though with nostalgia I probably lean towards One. I haven't seen either in such a long time though that I should probably do a rewatch.

What of the later shows are worth watching? I remember hearing the fourth series was pretty weak, but can't recall what was said of the others.

You have great taste, my friend.

As for seasons to watch, I'd recommend watching Frontier and Savers. Frontier (season 4) drops badly towards the end, but has interesting aspects to it. I think Savers (season 5) is considered some people's favorite around here and the main guy punches Digimon in the face so you can't go wrong there.

I haven't watched all of Xros Wars (I should get on that at some point), so I can't totally 100% recommend it yet.

Voror

You have great taste, my friend.

As for seasons to watch, I'd recommend watching Frontier and Savers. Frontier (season 4) drops badly towards the end, but has interesting aspects to it. I think Savers (season 5) is considered some people's favorite around here and the main guy punches Digimon in the face so you can't go wrong there.

I haven't watched all of Xros Wars (I should get on that at some point), so I can't totally 100% recommend it yet.

Thank you.

That was what I'd heard about Frontier, which is a shame if it messed up at the finish line. Savers certainly sounds interesting in that respect so I'll certainly take a look at that one at least.

Do not approach Xros Wars and even Samers with a traditional viewpoint though.

Looking at them definitely gives the impression that they're quite different so I'll keep that in mind.

Stuart444

Digimon Savers is great, it has one of the best villains in the series
He is so easy to hate. That bastard >_<
and the story is pretty good in general I'd say, characters and everything. Plus the insert song and Op/ED songs are awesome (this part won't matter if you watch the English version but I'm still listing them XD).

Plus all the side characters get some spot light during the series which is nice :D

CONTROVERSIAL OPINION:
I liked All-Star Rumble. Felt like it fell out of the late 90s in a bad, but nostalgic way I appreciated.

I liked it as well, it wasn't great or anything but it was somewhat fun.. I think people were just harsh on it because they were wanting other Digimon games localized (some people still think ASR was a localized game when it never came out in Japan, it was made purely for the west lol).

With Digimon Story: CS, at least if it bombs, people can't blame ASR for not getting anymore Digimon games in the future lol.

Do not approach Xros Wars and even Samers with a traditional viewpoint though.
Xros wars seemed way too different in a bad way. Each battle was won by combining random digimon and it seemed like it completely got rid of the stages of evolution. It could've been good but it simply felt like something to introduce kids to digimon and make them say woah when the digimon combined. I liked all the other seasons though.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
CONTROVERSIAL OPINION:
I liked All-Star Rumble. Felt like it fell out of the late 90s in a bad, but nostalgic way I appreciated.

Still need to play it. It is limited with the Digimon choices, but looks like it'll be fun to mess around with. I never expected a masterpiece from it anyways :p

Xros wars seemed way too different in a bad way. Each battle was won by combining random digimon and it seemed like it completely got rid of the stages of evolution. It could've been good but it simply felt like something to introduce kids to digimon and make them say woah when the digimon combined. I liked all the other seasons though.

Xros Wars did have things I liked out of it though. Boy Hunters... let's pretend never existed (except the climactic fan service).

Still need to play it. It is limited with the Digimon choices, but looks like it'll be fun to mess around with. I never expected a masterpiece from it anyways :p

Xros Wars did have things I liked out of it though. Boy Hunters... let's pretend never existed (except the climactic fan service).

Yeah I skipped through to the end of boy hunters for the amazing finale it had. All stars was a bad - OK game. I got a couple of hours of play from it at least.

Boss Doggie

Well that's the idea, they fight like mecha. And honestly I'm glad they do that. At least it's not like 02 where they just dump away gimmicks.

CONTROVERSIAL OPINION:

I think I demoed it at PAX last year. I was a bit of a button masher with it because I had no clue what i was doing LOL! But it was something I could imagine being fun with friends :').

Also, I went out and celebrated the announcement of Cyber Sleuth yesterday in my favourite Crest of Hope shirt! :O

xK59E3s.jpg

Boss Doggie

The only positive things I can say for Young Hunters are two things: Gumdramon (and his evolutions) and music.

Kalentan

To all those who said Tamers were the best.

Your opinion... Is the correct one. ;)

Also for sure will pick up Cyber Slueth on PS4. :D

Top Bottom