• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon World: Next Order (Vita) Chinese V. Comes With Inaccessible English Language

Verelios

I'm more angry about the Metal Garurumom/War Greymon with young girl trend I've been seeing from them lately.

Though this is still crazy

CazTGG

Let's not forget that Cyber Sleuth's localized work wasn't very well translated when it comes to the mistakes in Next Order's oddly locked away English version...mainly because it raises the question as to why Bandai was so unclear about whether the Vita version would be localized were a version of the game currently receiving some form of an English script. This whole situation has been incredibly bizarre and poorly communicated, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually come out on the Vita in the west a week from now (even though it's not).

Ya, this is bullshit on their end. Can't even use the excuse "the translation may not be up to snuff" when Cyber Sleuth and Hollow Fragment both had low quality translations, yet we still got them.

I'm more angry about the Metal Garurumom/War Greymon with young girl trend I've been seeing from them lately.

Though this is still crazy

There's a trend? The only young girl I can think of is Nokia from Cyber Sleuth. Unless you're also counting the player character from this game?

poorly communicated

Bamco when dealing with Digimon in a nutshell. Some things around Cyber Sleuth's release were so confusing, like the DLC seemingly not being available for Vita owners.

Theswweet

Huh... I actually imported the Chinese w/Japanese text version since I can read some Japanese. I kinda wish I had imported the straight Chinese version now, fml.

This ride never ends

I really hope they can be pressured enough to at least patch in the option or something. Ridiculous

How many sales of the PS4 version would this really cost them? And how many more sales would they get in Asia and from imports for the Vita version?

It really doesn't make any sense to me

I thought I was finally getting over this situation yet here we are again, back at square one, with me feeling irritated that their decision makes little sense.

Seriously, what is going on here? This whole ride has been a PR nightmare for them that would've been fairly easily avoided.

Perhaps it's just me, but I didn't notice anything particularly wrong with that? It wasn't fluid but it was more than playable.

UberTag

I think it's cute that they believe that withholding the Vita release will encourage us to buy the PS4 version instead.

Yeah, I've got some bad news for you guys there... that shit ain't happening.

I might buy an NX version if you port it over there, however. Get cracking on that.

I think it's cute that they believe that withholding the Vita release will encourage us to buy the PS4 version instead.

JqYTmjn.gif

BigEmil

This was bound to happen as if people don't buy it from US/EU it will be costly for them to put it on PSN store

CrazyDude

Let's not forget that Cyber Sleuth's localized work wasn't very well translated when it comes to the mistakes in Next Order's oddly locked away English version...mainly because it raises the question as to why Bandai was so unclear about whether the Vita version would be localized were a version of the game currently receiving some form of an English script. This whole situation has been incredibly bizarre and poorly communicated, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually come out on the Vita in the west a week from now (even though it's not).

It was translated fine, it just wasn't edited well.

This was bound to happen as if people don't buy it from US/EU it will be costly for them to put it on PSN store

I highly doubt it would be even close to as costly as translating the game into English, yet doing nothing with said English translation. I mean i'd assume that's what posts like this are about anyway, people thinking that even higher profile Vita games wouldn't see any money over here just because they're on Vita (even when all the work for an English release was already done), which is absolute horseshit.

The translation is done for Vita, there is no reason whatsoever that they couldn't get it esrb rated and throw it on PSN or even just have an unlock patch for the Chinese version so they could see some import sales. I don't even see how getting an esrb rating for it would be costly, considering they're already rating the game over here on PS4.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Okay it's pretty lame to localize the Vita version into English and then lock it away and not release a vita in the west.

I prefer playing JRPG games on a handheld than on a big screen TV.

I would look into getting this version but I wouldn't know how to go round unlocking the English text.

Eylos

Banned
I have read that there is a patch already, to use the english text and its working, not sure if all that is true

wrowa

Doesn't particularly surprise me. The confusion surrounding the announcement already implied that not releasing the Vita version in the west was likely a late decision made recently. The effort it takes to inject the translated text into the Vita version likely was never the reason why they decided against publishing it.

Shizuka

I wonder if Bandai Namco US would have some control over Bandai Namco SEA. Maybe this is another game where SEA was in charge of the localization, but US stopped them from releasing an early english Vita version to make the western PS4 version the only way to experience the game in english.

I have read that there is a patch already, to use the english text and its working, not sure if all that is true

Sauce?

I wonder if Bandai Namco US would have some control over Bandai Namco SEA. Maybe this is another game where SEA was in charge of the localization, but US stopped them from releasing an early english Vita version to make the western PS4 version the only way to experience the game in english.

That would be the most pathetic thing, yet I could believe it.

RK128

I honestly wouldn't be surprised by this. They want to sell more PS4 versions? LETS MAKE IT THEY ONLY VERSION!

Meh :l. I'm just baffled by this news at this point and not upset over it anymore. We will likely hear a PR statement from them by Monday.

t26

Unless you some how believe Namco Europe have no say in this, as they are releasing Vita games such as God Eater and Sword Art physically in Europe.

Perhaps it's just me, but I didn't notice anything particularly wrong with that? It wasn't fluid but it was more than playable.

Sorry, that was to show the PS4 improvements, not to demonstrate the problems on Vita.

Of course the Vita version isn't unplayable, but the release was plagued with muddy textures, bugs, and a frame rate that would drop in cut scenes and battles. It just looked unpolished and I imagine the Unity engine was giving them trouble.

When they decided to bring Next Order over on the PS4, they had to have realized a lot more work needed to be put into the port this time, and they didn't want a gulf of difference between the two. An option is always better, imo, and Vita owners could accept the trade-off, but I can see the thought process behind it.

kunnikuman

Neo Member
Sorry, that was to show the PS4 improvements, not to demonstrate the problems on Vita.

Of course the Vita version isn't unplayable, but the release was plagued with muddy textures, bugs, and a frame rate that would drop in cut scenes and battles. It just looked unpolished and I imagine the Unity engine was giving them trouble.

When they decided to bring Next Order over on the PS4, they had to have realized a lot more work needed to be put into the port this time, and they didn't want a gulf of difference between the two. An option is always better, imo, and Vita owners could accept the trade-off, but I can see the thought process behind it.
If it really was that bad, they wouldn't have released in Japan and even in Asia after it. What thought process is even needed when they thought it was a suitable product for those regions? It didnt even have to be released in West. Now, Unity doesnt run good in PS4 also so it's unlikely it will be 60fps.

If it really was that bad, they wouldn't have released in Japan and even in Asia after it. What thought process is even needed when they thought it was a suitable product for those regions? It didnt even have to be released in West. Now, Unity doesnt run good in PS4 also so it's unlikely it will be 60fps.

The PS4 version is going to be the Decode to the original aka a "super" version. Releasing the original right next to it on the Vita wouldn't look great is what I'm saying.

The English stuff being in the Chinese version is another level of weird to this whole mess. I don't know what to think about that.

Trace

Banned
I would assume if you have Henkaku if someone doesn't already have this up and running in English they will soon.

RK128

exactly

smart business decision from namco but yeah this news is fishy

How is this a smart business move from Bandai-Namco?

I know the Vita is frowned upon but the system got a lot of success for Bandai-Namco in the past. The Vita is the reason the SAO series is getting more games, the Vita is the reason Cyber Sleuth was even localized to begin with, and Vita versions of there titles frequently land on the top selling digital release on the Vita storefront every month.

This move will in fact ruin business for many Vita owners that buy Bandai-Namco games. By locking out a full English release when they had NO issue releasing Hollow Fragment in the state it was in back in 2014 just feels like a kick in the face.

I don't mind the real reason for this not coming to Vita in the west (PS4 version getting more content and updated visuals) but the horrible PR surrounding this release alongside this recent news completely sours me and many other Vita owners on supporting this release next year.

The PS4 version is going to be the Decode to the original aka a "super" version. Releasing the original right next to it on the Vita wouldn't look great is what I'm saying.

The English stuff being in the Chinese version is another level of weird to this whole mess. I don't know what to think about that.
While I understand this as a concept, there are other games that have released on multiple platforms simultaneously despite some platforms being obviously inferior. Take Senran Kagura Estival Versus for example.

While I understand this as a concept, there are other games that have released on multiple platforms simultaneously despite some platforms being obviously inferior. Take Senran Kagura Estival Versus for example.

I don't know much about that series. Did the PS4 version have added story missions and stuff like that? Or was it just the average "more powerful console does things better" sort of deal?

exactly

Because PS4 owners are more likely to buy this instead of Nier Automata or whatever other Japanese game launching in the same window. Right...
Vita owners buy games and they're effectively locking out the userbase more likely to buy this game.

exactly

You're right, fuck anyone who wanted to play the game in English on it's original system. What exactly was smart about it? By putting the English version on PSN or by patching the Chinese/Japanese versions to allow for the English text, they still get money through PSN or imports. It's honestly baffling that they would put in the work for an English version on Vita, yet not even put it out there, wasting all that money/effort that went into making a localization on the system.

kunnikuman

Neo Member
Do you know that....Bandai Namco have actually done this before? See Sword Art Online:LOST SONG.
Both versions were released at the same time in west and yet they never told us a word about missing content for Vita version.
Originally were on PS3/Vita but western release is only Vita/PS4.
They were clear that PS4 version in Japan has more content (/story) since it's the "Directors Edition" and released later than original versions. Bandai Namco US/EU never mentioned a thing about this for Vita thus everyone assumed we were all getting same content as they were regular editions. Therefore PS4 got the "super" ver. aka Decode version.

I don't know much about that series. Did the PS4 version have added story missions and stuff like that? Or was it just the average "more powerful console does things better" sort of deal?
More missions alongside the regular better framerate and more stuff able to be displayed at the same time.

Yasumi

Banned
exactly

It's smart to fully localize a particular version of a game, which involves financial investment, proceed to dummy out the translation, and not release it domestically? You're not very good at this, are you?

Shizuka

At this point, with 2017 releases going forward, I'm pretty sure Bandai Namco US doesn't give a fuck about Vita owners anymore.

It has some exclusive missions

Interesting. How significant were the added missions?

Do you know that....Bandai Namco have actually done this before? See Sword Art Online:LOST SONG. Both games were released at the same time in west and yet they never told us a word about missing content for Vita version.
Originally were on PS3/Vita but western release is only Vita/PS4. PS4 version has more content (/story) since it's the "Directors Edition" in Japan.

I didn't know that. How much more content? Would it be equivalent to a Digimon World: Re:Digitize to Decode upgrade?

RK128

At this point, with 2017 releases going forward, I'm pretty sure Bandai Namco US doesn't give a fuck about Vita owners anymore.

Just glad that this Fall is getting Hollow Realization, as that will likely be the last Bandai-Namco game (alongside the two God Eater Games) I will buy.

Shame they don't want to support the Vita anymore but we have to wait until 2017's games are announced before saying they will fully drop Vita support anytime soon.....but this latest move indicates they don't have much plans for the Vita in 2017.

This may support my theory that the Vita version of CS sold TOO well, and they want people to buy the more expensive PS4 version instead. That's the only thing that makes sense.

Top Bottom