• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital console games made $263M in January 63% from PlayStation platforms

JaggedSac

Be careful, now.

SuperData Research is trying to sell you their data on their website. Clearly they're going to paint themselves in the best possible light.

But they're well known for providing...estimates. Nothing more...just estimates. They're trying to fill a niche. They are by no means definitive, and they have lots of gaps in their data.

Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony do not provide them with any data, I will tell you that right now.

They go around to publishers and beg for data. If you know anything about that strategy, it's usually quite unsuccessful.

So SuperData's sources are a mix of publicly available tidbits through financial reports and developer PR, a couple of publishers who actually give them data, and a TON of extrapolation to fill in the gaps.

Interesting. Isn't this what a certain banned site does too?

jcm

CEO from SuperData here.

Yes, we do, in fact, collect hard data. Just like NPD/GfK, but collected from payment service providers instead of physical retailers.

Happy to answer any questions. Meanwhile, see if this helps you understand how we work:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-10-29-so-you-think-video-game-research-sucks

Welcome, and thanks for releasing your top 10 data and coming by to answer questions. Is your company attempting to count all worldwide sales revenue for PSN and XBL only? Why are you excluding Nintendo?

Again, thanks for coming by and speaking with us.

AmuroChan

A bit of a false parallel, if you take care of your discs, your collection will last just fine. Also if yor system dies a physical disc will play on ANY system, it's not tied to that one console's HDD. Remastered games are selective. Any who way off topic.

"It will last just fine" is rather vague. If you manage your digital games well, they will also last just fine. Digital games will also play on any system. I've gone through three 360's and two PS3's. At no point did I have to re-purchase the games I already owned. Bottom line is, your argument for physical game media is not one that most people care about. People don't mind digital games and the risks associated with them. We see that with Steam, mobile, and now consoles as digital game downloads continue to trend up.

Wereroku

So VISA tells you what we are buying? That seems like a privacy violation.

If they do all identifying data will have been scrubbed. Also if your concerned about that it's the same that Walmart is doing with NPD. Walmart also gets your name and card number but I am sure they scrub that data.

JaggedSac

If they do it will be will all identifying data scrubbed. Also if your concerned about that it's the same that Walmart is doing with NPD they also get your name and card number.

Nah, VISA is a third party, it isn't product that they own that they are selling and giving information on how much they are selling/buying. They are just a facilitator. Almost like if Google was giving out information about how many items of a certain type people were purchasing through their Chrome browser. Heck, they may be doing that, but I didn't think so.

AmuroChan

A disc is a disc, you buy it, you can play it, period.

That's not going to be true for every game. 20 years from now when I put in my Titanfall disc, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to play it because the servers would've been shut down long before. As online integration become more and more a part of gaming, the "advantage" that physical game discs had over digital games becomes less and less apparent.

GobFather

What % of this January $263 million data point is sourced directly from POS receipts, and what % of this $263 million figure is sourced from extrapolations, estimates, or algorithms?

The NPD Group directly tracks 90-95% of the physical retail video game console market. What percentage of the digital video game console market do you directly track?

Their accuracy still remains to be seen.

:) Looking forward to the CEO answering your questions!

sörine

Banned
Nah, VISA is a third party, it isn't product that they own that they are selling and giving information on how much they are selling/buying. They are just a facilitator. Almost like if Google was giving out information about how many items of a certain type people were purchasing through their Chrome browser. Heck, they may be doing that, but I didn't think so.
VISA doesn't know what I'm buying even, they just know how much cash I'm putting in my digital wallet.

Donthizz#

Sony has come a long way, remember the early days of the PS Store? lol. if they can strengthen their online infrastructure they can improve on those numbers.

$260+ mil during Jan, Did we get numbers for Nov/Dec?

Cool. Seeing as REmake did so well, I hope Revelations 2 does great. Then maybe Capcom will embrace old school Resident Evil for future games

Game Guru

I don't see why people would buy digital games on consoles, but that's not because I think digital is bad... In fact, I have nearly 300 ebooks and nearly 500 Steam games. The issue with digital console games is that I have no guarantee future consoles will be backwards compatible and thus playable on future hardware. While I don't have that guarantee with physical games either, I can at least sell them and supposedly get some money back.

REDSLATE

yeah true but discs will always play on thier respective consoles. with digital content the store could go down and you could lose everything. so it's much mroe risky.

Sadly, this is becoming less and less true. With all the day-one patches and updates throughout, much of games' content is obtained via network anyway. When service ultimately goes down, even physical games will be incomplete and perhaps even restricted to varying levels of playability.

m@cross

Rare problems like stepping on a disc? Or rare problems like loss/theft? Or scratches from the disc reader? Honestly the only examples youve given against digital games deal with being uninformed or victim of a glitch, neither of which represent the trend of digital games as a whole.

Your ability to access your digital games wont disappear overnight, much less within the next 15-20 years. You can still download early PSP games. There should be no reason for an account ban either, and it says right in the TOS theres no chargebacks or youll be banned. And obviously you cant download games without internet, yes I guess you have that. This fear-mongering about digital games needs to end, its getting ridiculous.

Why is this fear mongering? Each side has valid positives and negatives, it is just a simple choice. I never said no one should be buying digital, I have digital games myself. I simply am saying there are positives and negatives to each and depending on each persons situation, one might be a better option than the other.

For me, I prefer physical, doesn't make me wrong or right, just what I prefer. I have friends who prefer digital, they are equally right/wrong as me. Do what you like, but neither is the absolute better way for all people.

thelastword

Banned
Very welcomed information. Looking at the NPD, it just seemed incomplete to me and I always debated that digital sales is on the rise. It's kinda refreshing to have an official source (just like NPD) on digital sales.

Another curiosity this confirms is that Sony is at the forefront of digital sales, even before that going by anecdotal evidence one could infer that quite a few PS4 owners are strictly digital customers as well.

Kysen

Does this count purchases made on US accounts from outside the US. I bought 2 games off the store because they came out earlier than here in the UK.

Steel

Banned
Good numbers.

And as usual.. The digital only future discussion is here.

Forget it guys, the High sales of digital doesn't mean the death of physical.

Physical and digital will continue to co-exist side by side.

There will be always people who prefer physical and there is always people who prefer digital... Companies won't kill a media in favor for another because giving options to customers is the key to gain more sales, and if they took one option and fourced them with only the other one then they will risk the lose of a lot of sales....... And they are not crazy to do that.

Elandyll

Banned
So if the data is accurate, doesn't it confirm what many were suspecting here (and some vehemently denying), as in that for some reason the digital sales on PS4 are disproportionally higher than on XB1?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
FIFA is not in top 10 but Madden is? Is Europe presence in digital market really that small?
Europe would buy more games on consoles digitally if the prices weren't so fucking insane. £55 for new games is a joke and anyone that pays it is an idiot. It's just way cheaper to get games at retail and I think that's the main reason we haven't embraced digital on consoles as much as the US probably have. Your games are $60 digital and retail, right?

dose

How do they know these figures? I thought Sony and MS didn't give any digital sales information out?
Edit, and there's the answer above ;)

unless there is some guarantee all this digital content will be playable on ps5 it's such a risk buying it.

yeah true but discs will always play on thier respective consoles. with digital content the store could go down and you could lose everything. so it's much mroe risky.

ps4 HDD doesn't hold many games, you will have to delete some at least most people will and what if the service goes down and you cant download them ever again.

lol, Officer What-if? in the house.

What if the Earth explodes, how are you going to play your games then?

Lol, I remember how the "hardcore gamers" got pissed off at microsoft for promoting the positives of digital games and swore to only buy a ps4 with physical game copies.

Face palm.

Interesting. Hardcore gamers only buy PS4s, confirmed then.

DieH@rd

Banned
So if the data is accurate, doesn't it confirm what many were suspecting here (and some vehemently denying), as in that for some reason the digital sales on PS4 are disproportionally higher than on XB1?

Two things are important to remember - PS4 has more games than Xbone, and PS4 install base is significantly higher.

Europe would buy more games on consoles digitally if the prices weren't so fucking insane. £55 for new games is a joke and anyone that pays it is an idiot. It's just way cheaper to get games at retail and I think that's the main reason we haven't embraced digital on consoles as much as the US probably have. Your games are $60 digital and retail, right?

I live in the uk and I've been embracing their prices for about a year now. £36 for new releases is awesome

Emedan

I got games I bought on Steam 10 years ago, I can download and play them right now - What I don't have is a single disc based game since then. The analogy could be applied to consoles as well. The thing about digital content is that its persistent. When digital platforms become unavailable I'm sure solutions will come up.

Orca

No, it's higher but not disproportionately so given the install bases. I'd actually consider it low in that light.

Rymuth

That was an easy $10mil for Capcom. They must be pleased.

Lol, I remember how the "hardcore gamers" got pissed off at microsoft for promoting the positives of digital games and swore to only buy a ps4 with physical game copies.

Face palm.
Joke post or #neogafshitpost

geordiemp

I buy games digitally as we have 2 ps4's. I buy the game once.

Its cheaper. I am not an idiot lol.

Percy

Banned
Many more PS4s out there and PS4 has a much larger game library available compared to XB1, so it only makes sense really.

It's weird how they get these numbers. And what are percentage of Xbox one and 360 sales? 63% for Playstation isn't that surprising given how much bigger their install base is.

Many more PS4s out there and PS4 has a much larger game library available compared to XB1, so it only makes sense really.

But the average metacritic score...

It does actually make sense. There is a larger digital library and as someone else has mentioned, the ability to buy a game once and have it on 2 PlayStation saves money. I'm all for saving money. Buying a new HDD and going all digital going forward.

Elandyll

Banned
No, it's higher but not disproportionately so given the install bases. I'd actually consider it low in that light.

Let me know if I read wrong, but ...

Given that we're talking PS3+PS4 vs X360+XB1:

Playstation ecosystem: roughly 104m (85+19)

Xbox ecosystem: roughly 96m (85 + 11)

Differerential of instal base put on a 100 base: PS=52, XB=48

Actual digital software sale differential for the month (again, if the data presented here is accurate): PS=63, XB=37

That's a huge difference imo. If it's not due to PS ecosystem buyers actually being more digital oriented, the only other explanation I could see (beside the data being wrong) would be that somehow the PS+ offering is included in the "sales" on PS ecosystems.

Elandyll

Banned
AFAICT you also need to include Nintendo, so 63% is quite surprising.

Wouldn't including Nintendo make the cut even more disproportionate in favor of the PS4 though? I wonder if they just didn't compare PS eco vs XB eco, given how the charts seem to be dominated by third parties that simply aren't on Nintendo systems.

Top Bottom