• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital console games made $263M in January 63% from PlayStation platforms

skynidas

Banned
venturebeat.com/2015/02/25/digital-console-games-made-263m-in-january-and-most-of-that-was-from-playstation/

digitalconsoleTEST.jpg

BraXzy

There's quite the difference between just the top 10 alone. Shows how much bigger the blockbusters are.

hawk2025

Huh, accounting for both PS4/PS3 and Xbox One/360, Playstation's digital split is actually well above its market share, if I'm calculating it correctly.

I suppose that's down to there simply being much more digital content on PS4 than Xbox One?

DOWN

Banned
I just traded all 12 of my physical PS4 games in and converted to digital copies to join the rest of my luxurious digital library. I'm totally digital now this gen and forevermore.

It'd be nice if it were broken down by game sales vs. DLC purchases, but still, that is a crazy chunk of change. We can't keep dismissing the factor of digital games when considering the increase or decrease of retail software sales in NPD threads, the software purchasing landscape has and continues to change.

Huh, accounting for both PS4/PS3 and Xbox One/360, Playstation's digital split is actually well above its market share, if I'm calculating it correctly.

I suppose that's down to there simply being much more digital content on PS4 than Xbox One?

Not to mention PS1, 2 titles (On PS3), the giveback programs, then you also have the DD games that aren't on XB1 etc.....it starts adding up.

onQ123

Yeah I think this was the critical time for MS & Sony for their online platform & it look like Sony is doing good at the right time.

I feel like this was the end game for Xbox & PlayStation to just get the online stores connected to the living room.

m@cross

I just traded all 12 of my physical PS4 games in and converted to digital copies to join the rest of my luxurious digital library. I'm totally digital now this gen and forevermore.

Well until your console dies and the online store no longer has one or more of your games available for download onto the replacement console... but mostly forevermore : )

How much of the GTAV revenue is copies of the game, and how much is online space bux?

Every quarter Take-Two says GTA Online is the largest contributor to their digital revenue.

We continue to see strong consumer engagement with Grand Theft Auto Online, which has both exceeded our expectations and has been the single largest contributor to digitally-delivered revenue in every quarter since its launch.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=922012

GTAO is very successful

Remember to be wary of SuperData's methodology.

A lot of their numbers are mostly projections, algorithms, and estimates...not hard data.

This isn't equivalent to data tracking like NPD or GfK.

Your PS3 discs don't work in the Ps4 either. Are you still buying discs despite the risk they won't work in the PS5?

yeah true but discs will always play on thier respective consoles. with digital content the store could go down and you could lose everything. so it's much mroe risky.

Jomjom

Banned
Helps put the XB1 #1 for sales of physical GTAV in perspective.

Pretty much every game where MS claims they sold the most copies via NPD.

Maybe I'm wrong but a publisher should view digital sales as something much more positive than physical right, considering they get to cut out the middle man and all the shipping and packaging costs? Profits from one sale of a digital game and a physical game are not the same right?

JaggedSac

Maybe I'm wrong but a publisher should view digital sales as something much more positive than physical right, considering they get to cut out the middle man and all the shipping and packaging costs? Profits from one sale of a digital game and a physical game are not the same right?

This is worldwide. Isn't the PS4 outselling Bone by more than 60% worldwide?

TURBO1112

yeah true but discs will always play on thier respective consoles. with digital content the store could go down and you could lose everything. so it's much mroe risky.

How. Unless the game requires a server to play, even if the digital store goes down you can still play your digital games. I can play all mine even if I disconnect from the internet.

m@cross

Well it still costs money to host the game for sale and bandwidth to send it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Can this be right? I forgot the number, but didn't NPD report a similar number for physical console game sales in January?

edit: ahh, worldwide. still impressive.

Kayant

Btw platform spilt is worldwide - http://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/top-10-digital-console-games/

Also
As expected, the greatest source of revenue for these games came from the PlayStation 4, with 43% of revenues. The PlayStation console family (PS3 and PS4) took 63% of the pie overall. Similarly, new generation consoles grossed 70% more than their predecessors, indicating the shift to digital in the new console cycle.

Well damn...

Edit - Sightly beaten as par usual :(

BKK

Yeah I would expect fifa to be up there but from what I gather isn't it hard to get digital numbers?

http://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/top-10-digital-console-games/

US accounts for half the revenue of top 10 digital console games

The US remains a particularly important market for the console platform, as entries even into large gaming markets like China have had little impact on the distribution of console game sales. New generation games like Dying Light had 81% of its digital sales coming from America.

Tobor

Not true. I can turn off the PS4's wifi and play all my games offline.

Except those that require on line play, which won't work in the future no matter what format you bought it on.

I can't get patches in the future, but neither can you.

What's the risk again?

Not true. I can turn off the PS4's wifi and play all my games offline.

Except those that require on line play, which won't work in the future no matter what format you bought it on.

I can't get patches in the future, but neither can you.

What's the risk again?

ps4 HDD doesn't hold many games, you will have to delete some at least most people will and what if the service goes down and you cant download them ever again.

Top Bottom