• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: “PS5 teardown is uninteresting, until we get our own hands on"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inviusx

Makes total sense, we are close enough to launch now that I'm sure they just want to focus on the actual hardware once its in their hands rather than spending a lot of time and effort to make a tear down analysis video that will be completely irrelevant soon.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I'm not worried, lol. It's just the logicial thing to do if you're in it to make money and want to grow your site/channel.

Maybe Digital Foundry is more concerned with putting out sound defensible content instead of only making money.

As for Sony feeling like they don't need them. It's more about retaining all possible advantages and controlling the message.

He absolutely is and back in March/April he was even trying to push the narrative about PS5 not being able to sustain peak clock on CPU and GPU at the same time.
He also made comments about how there was nothing particularly wrong with the Halo Infinite showcase....
He is biased. It's not an insult or anything, everyone has preferences. He has them and are certainly not towards Playstation.
Sony's video was very informative and interesting, it gave infos about the cooling system (which was the key issue that needed a teardown video in first place), it gave infos about where the SSD bay is, how to access it, about the dust traps to clean the system more easily.
Calling that uninteresting just because Sony is handling the whole marketing by themselves (and successfully based on views and likes metrics) and didn't give any exclusive to them or other gaming websites is obviously wrong and ridicolous.

Alex, does have a name and is quite clearly more a fan of PC gaming than any console. Overlooking that, there was nothing 'that' wrong with Halo Infinite showcase, in actual fact. The combat looked fab, the guns looked brilliant the Art, Music and sound effects pure Halo. Its biggest problem, was it didn't look much above a One X game, But I would find to it hard to think of an open-world FPS on the One X that runs at native 4k at 60 fps with a map size bigger than the last 2 Halo games combined.

It was nice to see the cooling system of the PS5, but it was dull Teardown and was like having Grandad take your console apart. Contrast that with how MS allowed the likes of Digital Foundry, Austin Evans Ect to hold the various components and also try putting the internals of the console back together themself's. Much more interesting and far better to be open to the gaming press

It's funny how you look to call people out, yet act like one of the SONY Faithfull, right down to talking numbers of views *rolleyes*

It's a 7 minute video of a Japanese guy removing the screws from a plastic box. So little was going on in the video, the engineer was silent for long stretches.

Yes, that is uninteresting to many people. If you have a problem with that subjective comment, please make note of it in your Rain Man Serious Injury Notebook. Ow, ow, ow.

The guy is a total Xbox/PC fan.
I agree with the fact that making a video where you can just comment on the stuff showcased in an other video is not that exciting for them to make.
I agree that if they were working on an other video there's no reason to stop the work on that video.
But calling Sony's video uninteresting is just LOL-worthy.
Biased too much?
Almost 8 million people in a few days disagree?
The video showcased everything about the internals and gave super interesting infos on the cooling system.
Calling that uninteresting is idiotic.
It's their XSX teardown video with less than a million views in 6 months that people probably deemed uninteresting.
Views does not equal interesting

Elios83

Alex, does have a name and is quite clearly more a fan of PC gaming than any console. Overlooking that, there was nothing 'that' wrong with Halo Infinite showcase, in actual fact. The combat looked fab, the guns looked brilliant the Art, Music and sound effects pure Halo. Its biggest problem, was it didn't look much above a One X game, But I would find to it hard to think of an open-world FPS on the One X that runs at native 4k at 60 fps with a map size bigger than the last 2 Halo games combined.

It was nice to see the cooling system of the PS5, but it was dull Teardown and was like having Grandad take your console apart. Contrast that with how MS allowed the likes of Digital Foundry, Austin Evans Ect to hold the various components and also try putting the internals of the console back together themself's. Much more interesting and far better to be open to the gaming press

It's funny how you look to call people out, yet act like one of the SONY Faithfull, right down to talking numbers of views *rolleyes*

Do you really think that Microsoft took the blow and delayed the title that was supposed to push their whole next gen system at launch just because it looked a bit dated and the rest was perfect and amazing?
The game was totally unfinished in general, it looked like a not impressive current gen game and backlash was huge with all the memes being created.
The fact he didn't see any of that simple speaks about his preferences and bias. And again, it's not the first episode. He tried to downplay the PS5 hardware in all ways back in spring even stating false things like "CPU and GPU can't run at top frequencies at the same time". I think he's biased and it shows. That's all. Nothing personal, nothing insulting.

Sony's teardown was super informative and rich of infos. Calling that uninteresting is objectively wrong. You can say that the presentation was not made by a showman, but not that the video is technically uninteresting. It's blatantly false.

There's nothing to roll your eyes about talking about views and likes. It's an objective metric about how much people are interested about certain things and liked the contents.
Sony's teardown has almost 8 million views in a few days with almost 400.000 likes.
The super interesting teardown made by DF about XSX has 400k views in 6 months with 17k likes.
Seems like the general public has expressed their opinion pretty clearly.

Views does not equal interesting
400k likes as well. Hopefully you won't tell me that people were forced to click on the like button now :p

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Do you really think that Microsoft took the blow and delayed the title that was supposed to push their whole next gen system at launch just because it looked a bit dated and the rest was perfect and amazing?
The game was totally unfinished in general, it looked like a not impressive current gen game and backlash was huge with all the memes being created.
The fact he didn't see any of that simple speaks about his preferences and bias. And again, it's not the first episode. He tried to downplay the PS5 hardware in all ways back in spring even stating false things like "CPU and GPU can't run at top frequencies at the same time". I think he's biased and it shows. That's all. Nothing personal, nothing insulting.

Sony's teardown was super informative and rich of infos. Calling that uninteresting is objectively wrong. You can say that the presentation was not made by a showman, but not that the video is technically uninteresting. It's blatantly false.

There's nothing to roll your eyes about talking about views and likes. It's an objective metric about how much people are interested about certain things and liked the contents.
Sony's teardown has almost 8 million views in a few days with almost 400.000 likes.
The super interesting teardown made by DF about XSX has 400k views in 6 months with 17k likes.

400k likes as well. Hopefully you won't tell me that people were forced to click on the like button now :p

how has the general public expressed their views? Do all the general public know about digital foundry? I can point you to a video of the Xbox tear down that has 15 million views. Does that mean anything? Not really.

how has the general public expressed their views? Do all the general public know about digital foundry? I can point you to a video of the Xbox tear down that has 15 million views. Does that mean anything? Not really.
Wouldn’t that mean there’s interest in tear down videos in general though? I mean 15M and 7.4M is a lot of people.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I remember that in the first reaction video with all 3 DF guys he was super happy with it and the other two pretty much told him all that was wrong about it.
Maybe his opinion changed later, but at first he lived in a pink bubble.

You mean this one:

You do know you can rewatch these videos and realize youve built your own narrative in your head?

He actually is the more critical person in the video....he even points out the popin, bad lighting during the DF Direct.
Alex was pretty critical and already talking about how it felt lastgen.....he literally said it would be kinda impressive if this was an Xbox One game.
Nobody was loving this demo.

But you know, this is NeoGAF we build our own narratives and just run with them.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Stop obsessing over DF and putting them on a pedestal. They are just nerds like the rest of us who love playing games. They just found a way to make money off of it (nice!!). They have biases just like the rest of us and are sometimes wrong about some of the things they say. It is ok for them to cover Xbox Series X more than PS5 because they have a Series X. I'm sure they will have a lot to talk about PS5 when they get their hands on it.

That being said, I disagree with whoever said the teardown was not interesting enough to cover. Granted it was an opinion stated by one person and not a reflection of everyone at DF. Fuck sakes they made 4 videos talking about how hot/cool and loud/quiet PS4 is with an almost combined 1 million views on those videos. You would think that would be an interesting topic to discourse how Sony has beefed up and changed the cooling Solution on PS5 compared to PS4. Over the years they have made several videos about PS4 storage expansion and how that effects load times and those have another over 1 million views as well.

Saying covering the PS5 teardown is uninteresting is just an easy excuse when they have spent time covering things that are far more uninteresting like how long it takes to load a game over SATA to USB port.

Last edited:

FrankWza

It's a 7 minute video of a Japanese guy removing the screws from a plastic box. So little was going on in the video, the engineer was silent for long stretches.

Yes, that is uninteresting to many people. If you have a problem with that subjective comment, please make note of it in your Rain Man Serious Injury Notebook. Ow, ow, ow.

But...you watched it. And they don’t cater to the masses. They do tech analysis that’s more for enthusiasts.This is the biggest and most anticipated tech confirmed to release this year. Meanwhile, we have the dram sitting there and a perfect opportunity for them to comment. Or, say nothing.
saying it’s uninteresting makes them appear to be bias or dumb. Even obsolete or compromised in their restrictions, since, apparently they have a series x and said nothing about the dram. If the argument is that they need to have the tech in hand to go in depth then why don’t we know absolutely everything about the series x? If it’s their NDA with Msoft, that’s fine. But they don’t have one with Sony. So commenting here is a great opportunity to add their expertise without restrictions.

Three

Exactly. Controlled conditions are not an ideal way to review anything. The PS5 hands on videos we've seen recently were all under tightly controlled conditions. The teardown video is exactly what Sony want to show you and not an atom more.

I'd rather put my faith in reviews that have full access to any software/hardware.

If DF don't have the hardware they can't tear it down, there's no point in talking about someone else's video. DF are the biggest in their field, if Sony wants their coverage then they should supply them with hardware to examine.
DF have full access but are under NDA. What you are hearing from them are exactly what MS want to show you and not an atom more.

So checking how back compat game load and frame rates of those games on series x isn’t analysis then?
Yes, but its "rather uninteresting" :messenger_weary::messenger_ok:
Specially in case of AC:unity, we have already seen that BC games run better on the new hardware. It would be more interesting if they would do a deeper comparison between XSeS and XSeX BC differences, but I guess NDA says no.
MSFT wants to ride the halo effect of XSeX as long as they can...

I hope you guys don't confuse YouTubers uploading reaction videos on the same day vs DF and other places uploading analysis videos on the same day.

Reaction videos = people talking over news with their own opinions. Easy to do on the same day.

Analysis videos = Marketing partnerships with YouTubers with hands-on time prior to the news being published and then being asked to hold off on uploading the analysis until the details are officially revealed. These videos take time to make and can't always be done on the same day without prior understanding of the news.

Yes , they can only speculate because no matter the question that us and them have, Sony will not answer to a single one.
This is maddening that now people are blaming DF for something that is Sony's fault. People are at the same time defending Sony for not talking and explaining at all anything and attacking others for not investing their time because of Sony's behavior.

People, want to see and know more?
Than go shout at Sony.

Audiophile

Gold Member
I've always liked their videos where they run casual commentary over footage, particularly when John leads the way. Would have thought this teardown video would have been perfect for it.

The PS5 video is inherently more interesting, it's a retail model with a distinctive design, more interesting layout and has some exotic touches; there's far more to talk about even if it is a hands-off, casual commentary over Sony's video. The DF Xbox video was just Richard sliding some magnetic components out of a black monolithic box, all of which were arranged uninterestingly.

Saying that, I think Alex gets too much shit personally. It's one thing to be critical and discuss occasional incompetency, but people get really vitriolic and personal. In videos he strikes me as a super-enthusiastic geek, quite endearingly awkward but well-meaning. I still enjoy most of his stuff.

He absolutely has said some stinkers and gets it wrong (of which this particular case is one), but I wonder if he's perhaps a little on the spectrum and struggles with the non-personal nature of the written word on the internet; as that's where most of his issues come. It's almost as if he over-asserts himself and doesn't realise the somewhat antagonistic tone in his writing. He comes off totally different in videos.

As for biases overall, I think it's clear that Alex is more of a PC guy, Richard is more of an Xbox guy and John is a PlayStation (and retro!) guy. But DF as a whole likely have a stronger relationship with MS. Considering all that, I think they do pretty good most of the time. Otherwise I think there's a lot of confirmation bias going on here.

Sony certainly aren't obliged to do anything, but it would be nice to have them reach out to DF as the biggest console tech channel (NXGamer would be nice too). I mean, if MS are sending the guys out to Richmond to se the consoles 10 months before launch and sending them hardware 6 weeks before launch, while Sony does absolutely nothing. You're gonna be naturally more enthused with the former.

Last edited:

None of that has to do with interesting though. Views and likes are not an actual metric of anything other then views and likes. Most people have a very low bar to tap a button and we have been conditioned to tap that button if we support anything about the video.

Did you read what you are complaining about?

Whether or not other people have it doesn't change how upset you'd be at being rebuffed by someone especially when the other side is flying you out and wanting you to make content about their shit.

Would you deny someone the right to be bummed that a game got delayed? After all no one has the game yet, so according to you no one has the right to be bummed. But of course people would be.

And just think. MS giving them all this open access and they've probably tried to get Sony to give them access and been met with 'sorry gotta call you back, Travis Scott is on the other line'.

Other journalists have also been showing annoyance at lack of hands on time with the PS5.

Further it does make sense. I mean they literally made a video based on the CGI and short clips of boards on workbenches from when the XSX was first revealed and they made content where they tried to estimate the die size and what the chips might be and all the rest of it. All speculative. They made videos using PC hardware to try to get a measure of how next gen games would run and look. All speculative. The idea they need to physically have the device to pass comment on something is nonsense, they do it all the time.
I'm not complaining. I'm laughing at the childish whining some of you are doing. What western youtuber has Sony flown out to do a teardown of a PS5 or a hands on? Uh... Nobody.

Up until this point Sony has provided nothing in terms of actual hardware internals. What they did provide was a sterile, but comprehensive teardown of the PS5. What you guys want is a collective circle jerk about how great the PS5 is and are crying like children because DF won't bend to your will. So here we are 600+ salty posts later that DF are shills. When the reality is that you guys are being babies.

Enjay

Banned
Ad hominem attacks (especially ones that attempt to attack someone for having a command of the English language?) are the last gasp of the desperate and those devoid of arguments and dignity.

There’s some “D” usage for you. Were I more degenerate, I could definitely delve further into the letter, but I‘ve got things to do.
lmao I'm sorry I made you feel attacked.

Elog

I am one of those that have been triggered by Alex from time to time. Probably more than is reasonable as well.

However, this is an example where he could just have said 'There has been so much information lately about both consoles. The content we do should be more in depth so I would assume that we would like to have the console ourselves if we are to do a teardown video.'

Instead he posted a really passive aggressive post that was fairly emo overall.

I do not think he is an MS person at all - he is a PC guy and as it happens the XSX/S are compact fantastically priced PCs for the most part. I think, he is so far not willing to come to terms with the claimed benefits of the PS5 since they for now cannot be replicated on a PC (I/O, cache scrubbers etc).

N30RYU

it doesn't make sense for them not makig a video about it... they have made lots of videos just about rumours from leaked specs... and now that we got a video confirming lots of things like metal liquid... the fan size... the cooling system... the ssd expansion... I don't know why they won't talk about it...

My guess is that MS gived them a series X to have full coverage... maybe they have to make a video each week for it... and this gives them no "time" to make one of the PS5 teardown impressions...

DF have full access but are under NDA. What you are hearing from them are exactly what MS want to show you and not an atom more.

Basically Microsoft isn't just giving them a console and letting them do whatever they want with it. Hence "controlled conditions".

Ever wondered why nobody should an infrared video of the console yet with thermals to boot?

197dpyhok3m8xjpg.jpg

They have an agreement with Microsoft with conditions attached.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Basically Microsoft isn't just giving them a console and letting them do whatever they want with it. Hence "controlled conditions".

Ever wondered why nobody should an infrared video of the console yet with thermals to boot?

197dpyhok3m8xjpg.jpg

They have an agreement with Microsoft with conditions attached.

so you KNOW they had an agreement with Microsoft to not to that?

Stop obsessing over DF and putting them on a pedestal. They are just nerds like the rest of us who love playing games. They just found a way to make money off of it (nice!!). They have biases just like the rest of us and are sometimes wrong about some of the things they say. It is ok for them to cover Xbox Series X more than PS5 because they have a Series X. I'm sure they will have a lot to talk about PS5 when they get their hands on it.

That being said, I disagree with whoever said the teardown was not interesting enough to cover. Granted it was an opinion stated by one person and not a reflection of everyone at DF. Fuck sakes they made 4 videos talking about how hot/cool and loud/quiet PS4 is with an almost combined 1 million views on those videos. You would think that would be an interesting topic to discourse how Sony has beefed up and changed the cooling Solution on PS5 compared to PS4. Over the years they have made several videos about PS4 storage expansion and how that effects load times and those have another over 1 million views as well.

Saying covering the PS5 teardown is uninteresting is just an easy excuse when they have spent time covering things that are far more uninteresting like how long it takes to load a game over SATA to USB port.

Did DF actually have the PS4 or were they commenting on a video put out by someone else?

How about you comment on that after accusing one side of dodging it (you started the argument amid distrusting a controlled environment and doing a teardown in-house vs what Leadbetter did in MS controlled environment)?
If you can prove DF has a hands on teardown in a controlled or uncontrolled environment of a PS5 we may be getting somewhere showing their bias. DF will do a video when they actually get a PS5. If they did analysis of an XSX without touching one there might be a point.

but Sony did the tear down video, there isn't much to add really is there?
They are likable personalities, so I would say they could add their thoughts. I would guess that’s one of the reasons people watch their videos in general.

Anyways, I was pointing out if there are 22 million views for only 2 videos regarding tear downs, that is an reasonable objective measurement of interest and interest seems pretty high.

FrankWza

but Sony did the tear down video, there isn't much to add really is there?

this has been countered about 150 times. There is absolutely more to add. They don’t NEED to add anything even though that’s what their site is supposed to specialize in. But they also didn’t NEED to call it uninteresting because that’s a dumb thing for a site like theirs to feel. I’d ask you about the PS5 and series x dram, but you’re not an expert. So you not find anything else interesting is not the point. It was the teardown of THE biggest tech confirmed to release this year. Its interesting.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
It’s not like DF are Scientific American. Making a reaction vid would be perfectly fine and expected by their subs.
Except they don't want to. It's there perogarive. As it's yours not to view their content. But complaining about it is silly as there are other options.

FrankWza

Except they don't want to. It's there perogarive. As it's yours not to view their content. But complaining about it is silly as there are other options.

they didn’t say they don’t want to, Did they? They said it was uninteresting. Then implied it would be interesting but only if they had it in their hands to teardown.

Of course they do why else didn't Digital Foundry give us information on the thermals?

If Sony loaned a PS5 to others I expect them to have similar conditions.

right, an NDA isn’t a pact with satan. It’s standard. Yet, As soon as you mention NDA it becomes a conspiracy one way or the other. That’s why commenting on the PS5 teardown was a great opportunity to show their expertise. Even if it was just for clicks and they added 10% new insight. They would have had 0 restrictions to speculate or interpret without NDA

Last edited:

BigLee74

DF haven't made a video about the teardown because they don't know how to create a negative narrative from it. It's all positive stuff for Sony:

- Liquid cooling (no liquid cooling on XSX)
- overengineered cooling (dual air intake fan, giant heatsink, plenty of space inside the box) with no risk of overheating (contrary to XSX, they probably already know the shell and external SSD can become hot)
- Custom SSD controller with dram cache (no dram cache on XSX).
- Smart removeable stand (non removable stand on XSX, it looks hideous when horizontal)
- dust cachers (nothing for Xbox)
- replaceable covers (not the case for Xbox)
- overal the design is incredibly clever from top to bottom with plenty of innovative stuff.
- Super easy to open and clean

Mmmm. I'll take a console that doesn't look like out of place in my living room, and with a better CPU, GPU and RAM over a gaudy eye sore with detachable covers (why do you see that as a feature?) and dust collectors. Every single time.

But each to their own.

Malte

Neo Member
Why does this thread have 13 pages? While I would have loved for Digital Foundry to comment on the video and share some insights and expertise, it is totally their decision to not do that. What is there to actually discuss?

FrankWza

Mmmm. I'll take a console that doesn't look like out of place in my living room, and with a better CPU, GPU and RAM over a gaudy eye sore with detachable covers (why do you see that as a feature?) and dust collectors. Every single time.

But each to their own.

me too. But he was just comparing series x and PS5

Kagero

I think the tear down was perfect. Quick, detailed and to the point, without someone asserting their opinions throughout. The console speaks for itself and it showed in the presentation. From what I experienced, no one had issues with the presentation. In fact, a lot of people were applauding Sony’s choices for doing it this way. For this reason, I think this guys opinion is based on jealousy.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
this has been countered about 150 times. There is absolutely more to add. They don’t NEED to add anything even though that’s what their site is supposed to specialize in. But they also didn’t NEED to call it uninteresting because that’s a dumb thing for a site like theirs to feel. I’d ask you about the PS5 and series x dram, but you’re not an expert. So you not find anything else interesting is not the point. It was the teardown of THE biggest tech confirmed to release this year. Its interesting.
have you thought maybe they under an NDA to do that yet

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Of course they do why else didn't Digital Foundry give us information on the thermals?

If Sony loaned a PS5 to others I expect them to have similar conditions.
so your own surmising that there is an agreement not to show thermals, or maybe they want to show it when they have both consoles to compare

onQ123

He is bias but why do I see people making personal attacks over video games?

But anyway I expect some dancing around in a few weeks

Yeah, another thing...

If a new Teardown video is uninteresting....they just post a ton of videos on random framerate analysis vids of old ass games. They just dropped one for Unity. I mean, I couldn't care less about that shit in comparison to something like a next-gen console teardown analysis.

Second point, it doesn't take look to make an analysis video if you aren't doing any testing. NXGamer put one out in less than a day...how many people work on content for DF? Surely they could put one Xbox video on old for a day while they add their analysis take to the PS5

FrankWza

have you thought maybe they under an NDA to do that yet

They do tech analysis that’s more for enthusiasts.This is the biggest and most anticipated tech confirmed to release this year. Meanwhile, we have the dram sitting there and a perfect opportunity for them to comment. Or, say nothing.
saying it’s uninteresting makes them appear to be bias or dumb. Even obsolete or compromised in their restrictions, since, apparently they have a series x and said nothing about the dram. If the argument is that they need to have the tech in hand to go in depth then why don’t we know absolutely everything about the series x? If it’s their NDA with Msoft, that’s fine. But they don’t have one with Sony. So commenting here is a great opportunity to add their expertise without restrictions.

Kamina

Golden Boy
You mean this one:

You do know you can rewatch these videos and realize youve built your own narrative in your head?

He actually is the more critical person in the video....he even points out the popin, bad lighting during the DF Direct.
Alex was pretty critical and already talking about how it felt lastgen.....he literally said it would be kinda impressive if this was an Xbox One game.
Nobody was loving this demo.

But you know, this is NeoGAF we build our own narratives and just run with them.

Yes that was the video, and i have to admit that it i remember it differently than when rewatching it now.

Orta

Banned

It really was :messenger_beaming:

It reminded me of the boring dinosaur guy bit in Mrs Doubtfire....

mdf.jpg

so your own surmising that there is an agreement not to show thermals, or maybe they want to show it when they have both consoles to compare

Nobody else that has an XSX showed it. Not to mention nobody really did a live stream playing one.

The system is on loan from Microsoft and that comes with conditions.

Smoke6

Since a video like this takes a week, you're gonna have to wait a bit. So funny how obsessed sony fans are with this corporation and their console. I will forever not be able to understand how and why people get so tribal, primitive, religious and fanatical about sony. They stand out from pretty much any aspect of fandom from everywhere.

Worshiping sony and its console is like someone worshiping a video card brand blindly instead of buying whatever is best at that given point in time.
Are you fucking serious?

you have a whole group of Xbox dudes with discord’s and shit spreading false shit about the PlayStation on purpose and passing it as gospel and it was being ate up for a min! When have anyone from Sony’s side of the fence went that far?

man I swear people like you keep shit going for no fucking reason at all!

Concern

13 pages of this shit and yet nobody is tired of repeating the same conspiracy theories over and over?

For a tech team you guys continually disrespect, downplay their work, and attack their characters so much. You guys practically begging/crying for them to give you a "hands on" video, based on someone else's hands on. I almost forgot you guys ran them off this site too.

Grow up.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
they didn’t say they don’t want to, Did they? They said it was uninteresting. Then implied it would be interesting but only if they had it in their hands to teardown.

So... They didn't want to at the time because it was uninteresting. You know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom