• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: [4K] Halo Infinite E3 2019: A Taste Of Next-Gen Xbox Graphics?

With dynamic res/dynamic scaler? Probably will.
No details will get affected. Most X games reduce resolution or other details to hit 60 fps.

By the time Halo infinite is out. You will see lot of improvement.

Don't forget it's not linear corridor shooter. It's open ended Halo.

I watched it. I'm honestly not impressed with the character model either, I just don't see a jump really much at all until you zoom in and really point out things. Even the shadow flicker around his collar looks bad and the dead eyes of the character look very unrealistic. I'm open to see how real gameplay looks, but I'm just really disappointed by this overall.
Show me any game with Halo infinite level of details which runs at 60 fps.

If it was not 60 then i would have agreed with you .

Trailer has real time GI and lot of other demanding effects all running at 60.

Last edited:

Paradicia

It's impressive. But imagine how much more impressive it would look at 30fps. Why not have the mp run at 60 and the sp run at 30? I don't understand why 343 has to make Hali 60fps in the campaign. Halo 5's visuals suffered so much because of it. Completely unnecessar, IMO.

This was running on a PC or Scarlett dev kit, probably at max settings in a pre-rendered scene for the sake of showing what was possible.. so to say that it should have been running at 30 fps is pretty ignorant considering that would be butchering what they are trying to achieve - 60 fps @ 4K. All next gen development teams should have at least that goal in mind. And don't tell me that it should have been 120 fps, most TVs only have a refresh rate of 60 Hz. If you want to play it at 30 fps, build a PC and lock the framerate buddy.

Last edited:

Darius87

i don't know on what platform this was running but what i do know that lous2 is looking better than this even though is 30 fps, but still it's great example that hw doesn't really matter when there's enough juice already.

Romulus

Show me any game with Halo infinite level of details which runs at 60 fps.

If it was not 60 then i would have agreed with you .

Trailer has real time GI and lot of other demanding effects all running at 60.

You're stuck on framerate but comparing it to current gen games that have a terrible cpu. Of course this should run at 60fps with that much more power, looking at it I really would hope so on a next gen machine.
But even then, the details in God of War are above this imo on base ps4. The character models look more realistic. Halo infinite, just looking at the human character, it already looks behind in terms of the hair, shadows, and unrealistic eyes. Even if it was 120fps locked it doesn't mean much to me considering the way the models look in a super confined space to crank everything to max

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Of course. RT wasn’t even implemented in the trailer and it still looked good. I’m excited. But, if they fuck this game up, I’m done with the series.
I'm not so sure, not all shadows have to use RT for performance reasons (in UE4 tech demos only certain lights sources use RT) and shadows in the trailer looks extremely good overall and looks realitime.
It's impressive. But imagine how much more impressive it would look at 30fps. Why not have the mp run at 60 and the sp run at 30? I don't understand why 343 has to make Hali 60fps in the campaign. Halo 5's visuals suffered so much because of it. Completely unnecessar, IMO.
As long inputlag is good and controls are responsive 30fps is enough on consoles (console games are made with gamepad in mind and you dont need perfect framerate on gamepad). On xbox one and ps4 generation however inputlag was a problem (some advanced graphics effects adds input lag). Just take halo 1 remaster for example, original game is perfectly responsive but press the button and load new graphics effects and suddenly game is not as responsive at the same fps. I have played so many games on xbox classic, xbox 360, ps2, and 30 fps games was really responsive back then, but not on xbox one and ps4 generation.

And BTW. if game is running at 30fps it's possible to upscale framerate to 60fps on HDTV's, and then the difference between real 60fps or upscaled 60fps is not that big, motion artifacts are too small to notice, and the only real difference is inputlag (60fps games have lower input lag). Of course many HDTV's add insane amount of input lag when you will enable framerate upscaling, but for example new high end samsung HDTV's even with framerate upscaling have 21 ms lag, and that's better result than the vast majority of HDTV's even without framerate upscaling (30-40ms that's input lag on many HDTV's).

Last edited:

Von Hugh

As much as I liked the first teaser/trailer of Infinite and its crisp look, this presentation didn't really do much for me. Especially the pilot guy looked basically this generation. Uncharted 4 on base PS4 had better looking characters. The pilot looked like a plastic doll.

But I have a feeling Infinite's strong suit will be in the open environments.

GymWolf

The only thing that make that video impressive is the fact that the game run at 60 frames tbh.

Also i want to see some actual gameplay, real time cinematic in a 2x2 room with that detail is not even that impressive...

You're stuck on framerate but comparing it to current gen games that have a terrible cpu. Of course this should run at 60fps with that much more power, looking at it I really would hope so on a next gen machine.
But even then, the details in God of War are above this imo on base ps4. The character models look more realistic. Halo infinite, just looking at the human character, it already looks behind in terms of the hair, shadows, and unrealistic eyes. Even if it was 120fps locked it doesn't mean much to me considering the way the models look in a super confined space to crank everything to max
Why you not counting 60 fps? Even on pc running games with these effects is super demanding.

GOW no where near what Infinite is doing. Come on now. Real time GI at 60 fps is huge upgrade. Check DF video again.

You will be eating crow once game is out and you see more bigger areas. I'm sure final game will also have RT in some form that alone will destroy all your PS4 exclusives in graphics

Last edited:

Romulus

Why you not counting 60 fps? Even on pc running games with these effects is super demanding.

GOW no where near what Infinite is doing. Come on now. Real time GI at 60 fps is huge upgrade. Check DF video again.

You will be eating crow once game is out and you see more bigger areas. I'm sure final game will also have RT in some form that alone will destroy all your PS4 exclusives in graphics

Okay. "Destroy."

"What infnite is doing." Well you need DF just to zoom in and tell you. Who would know by looking at that trailer what it's doing on an advanced level beside DF tier folks? That's my point, it just comes across like they're checking boxes "we got GI and ray racing!" But it either looks implemented ineffectivIy or low grade. I am counting 60fps and the lighting but it means little when the models look current gen. It's just not convincing. Just like others have said here and on other forums, it looks like something that could run on X1X easily.

Last edited:

Paradicia

i don't know on what platform this was running but what i do know that lous2 is looking better than this even though is 30 fps, but still it's great example that hw doesn't really matter when there's enough juice already.

I love the aesthetic of The Last of Us 2, but you are really comparing apples to oranges here. It's an extremely linear game compared to Halo and is running at 30 fps. The Last of Us 2 is still subject to change and downgrades like how the original E3 gameplay was projected for the first game, and it might even end up on the PS5.

People are such armchair experts when it comes to tech that you'd swear they were developing games themselves.

Last edited:

Paradicia

86465-FF1-0-C2-F-459-A-8581-6214-AAD1665-D.jpg

Please, someone, tell me what is bad about these graphics?

JimiNutz

Banned
I think the graphics are impressive, especially for a cross gen game but at the same time this scene takes place in a small area with limited geometry and only two characters.

It's a shame we didn't get some gameplay clips or some footage from larger more open areas with more characters on screen.

If the game looks like this and features huge open landscapes with loads of enemies and vehicles on screen at once, like the older Halo games, then this will be incredibly impressive.

CyberPanda

Banned
Looks really impressive, although I'm still not quite sure where the images originate from. Is it something made specifically for this purpose or is it from the trailer?
It’s screenshots from the trailer. And it’s for PR purposes etc.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Apparently these are better graphics

ellie-from-the-last-of-us-part-ii.png
Try opening the above and below in new tab and zooming in.
The TLOU 2 face looks more like plastic(who is the main character), while the one in Halo Infinite looks more realistic(a random nobody). I mean just look at his hair.
hi_e319_bspk_thedesireforconnection_wtrmk-0bf1bece8c1f4b71bd56914a05a6381e.jpg

Keep in mind that Halo focuses more on creating a sense of mystery with its presentation and humans themselves are not the focus.
hi_e319_twtr_ring-0a6279b9a1fc464f96edbbae00ab2c10.gif

hi_e319_twtr_hologram-b5fc1e9151b34e3b952d26f66f50dbde.gif

Bani

The only thing that make that video impressive is the fact that the game run at 60 frames tbh.

Also i want to see some actual gameplay, real time cinematic in a 2x2 room with that detail is not even that impressive...
Sure is not,pls

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This game will make or break the next Xbox imo. I still have a lot of confidence it will deliver, but 343 has everything to prove. I think this trailer was fine as a teaser, but we all wanted more. The game is still a year and a half out though, so next E3 when they show gameplay will be when we can start to judge it.

Fake

No details will get affected. Most X games reduce resolution or other details to hit 60 fps.

By the time Halo infinite is out. You will see lot of improvement.

Don't forget it's not linear corridor shooter. It's open ended Halo.
Happens with the last Halo. Will happen again to maintain 60 fps. 'The price of 60 fps'.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Again comparing 1800Cb 30fps game with a 4K60fps game wich still looks better IMO (tech wise). Also the settings are completely different, futuristic fps space shooter vs survival 3d person action game.

There are tons of better quality footage and you chose to compare with that one :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Three

Okay. "Destroy."

"What infnite is doing." Well you need DF just to zoom in and tell you. Who would know by looking at that trailer what it's doing on an advanced level beside DF tier folks? That's my point, it just comes across like they're checking boxes "we got GI and ray racing!" But it either looks implemented ineffectivIy or low grade. I am counting 60fps and the lighting but it means little when the models look current gen. It's just not convincing. Just like others have said here and on other forums, it looks like something that could run on X1X easily.
I think the animations let it down. There is only so much an engine can do when the artists can't create something convincing.

Journey

Banned

b6c.gif

Why ignore what's right in front of you? It's so impressive that it was thought to be just plain CGi, but it's actually real time and running at 60fps, that's just beautiful. I want to play Halo Infinite the game, not watch the CGI movie of Halo Infininte. Halo 5's visual suffered because Xbox One was lacking in many ways, but what if these next gen consoles are so ahead of their time like 360 was that it could run games at 60fps while still giving us that next gen leap in graphics? Call of Duty 2 was the best looking game during 360's launch and it ran at high end PC spec at 60fps. The only thing I remember was OMG this game looks so beautiful.... and sharp... and smooth... and its fun, never did I stop to think, what if it ran at 30fps so they could add laces to their boots :p

Paradicia

I think the animations let it down. There is only so much an engine can do when the artists can't create something convincing.

I'm pretty sure what you saw was all mo-cap so you're actually saying that it's TOO real. Maybe you're just used to seeing 30 fps animations.

Are you saying that what you saw isn't convincing? If they showed a CGI trailer with the exact same storyboard you would probably say the same thing.

Riven326

Banned
This was running on a PC or Scarlett dev kit, probably at max settings in a pre-rendered scene for the sake of showing what was possible.. so to say that it should have been running at 30 fps is pretty ignorant considering that would be butchering what they are trying to achieve - 60 fps @ 4K. All next gen development teams should have at least that goal in mind. And don't tell me that it should have been 120 fps, most TVs only have a refresh rate of 60 Hz. If you want to play it at 30 fps, build a PC and lock the framerate buddy.
I disagree. I think the developer should decide what best suits their game. I offered my two cents.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

I feel sorry for you if you think thats how humans look. Adding sweat does not make something better.
hi_e319_bspk_ahumanstory_wtrmk-fa316fd77e0c42bd81ebf5c0a1dcec49.jpg

Try zooming in on both the pics, you will see the details disappear in your pic.
Chief's armor just looks like cheap chinese plastic or something. I can't get past it.
So, you want it to look like its drenched in water. His armor is supposed to be made of Titanium alloy and this is how Titanium looks like.
Grade-5-bars_a4598f0f-2091-4fcd-aff8-c19fbb54790c.jpg

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Ummm what? Who the hell wants 30 when you can hit 60 mate? Halo 5 campaign suffered you know why? Because 343i put so much damn time in the garbage called Warzone. Halo doesn’t need shit like this. Like for the love of god Halo was famous for being classic and not too complex despite the skill ceiling it needs to “git gud” .. Looking back at Halo 2 and 3 and wishing Infinite being like them at least. Prime Halo no doubt.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
The trailer has a great use of lighting, atmosphere, volumetric lighting, but it doesn't look particularly "next-gen". Their are already better looking games around.

Last edited:

Paradicia

I disagree. I think the developer should decide what best suits their game. For example, if 30fps is preferred for games like Assassins Creed in the future, because they can squeeze more out of the sysyem, I think that's the right call to make. Not every game requires a high frame rate and the requirements seem to change more often than not. For example, Halo has always been considered a great playing shooter. But until Halo 5 it was always 30fps. I don't remember anyone complaining about it or saying that Metroid was better because it was 60fps.

And 343i has decided 60 FPS @ 4K is a suitable goal to attain given they are targeting the capability and capacity of a next-gen console in Project Scarlett. Have you played Halo? It's a first-person shooter. You're comparing a third-person action adventure game to a sc-fi first-person shooter rooted in strong multiplayer elements. Look at Call of Duty, it got so much success because of how smooth it played in the 360 era and beyond. It was a consistent 60 fps. You really need to sit down and play a game that is 30 vs one that is 60. The difference is night and day.

7cjAX1T.gif

Last edited:

PaNaMa

Banned
I feel sorry for you if you think thats how humans look. Adding sweat does not make something better.
hi_e319_bspk_ahumanstory_wtrmk-fa316fd77e0c42bd81ebf5c0a1dcec49.jpg

Try zooming in on both the pics, you will see the details disappear in your pic.

So, you want it to look like its drenched in water. His armor is supposed to be made of Titanium alloy and this is how Titanium looks like.
Grade-5-bars_a4598f0f-2091-4fcd-aff8-c19fbb54790c.jpg
Shrug. It looked and felt weightier in the Bungie incarnations. He just looked more solid I guess.

PaNaMa

Banned
The main complaint of 343i armor designs has always been that they were more bulky and look heavier than their Bungie counterparts.
I have never ever felt that. Even moving my character in the last couple games has felt wrong. Maybe that's the Destiny effect modifying my memory :/
I'll still be getting this day 1 fwiw heh

Bernkastel

I have never ever felt that. Even moving my character in the last couple games has felt wrong. Maybe that's the Destiny effect modifying my memory :/
I'll still be getting this day 1 fwiw heh
Adding comparison pics to my previous post.

Last edited:
Top Bottom