• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: [4K] Halo Infinite E3 2019: A Taste Of Next-Gen Xbox Graphics?

Riven326

Banned
And 343i has decided 60 FPS @ 4K is a suitable goal to attain given they are targeting the capability and capacity of a next-gen console in Project Scarlett. Have you played Halo? It's a first-person shooter. You're comparing a third-person action adventure game to a sc-fi first-person shooter rooted in strong multiplayer elements. Look at Call of Duty, it got so much success because of how smooth it played in the 360 era and beyond. It was a consistent 60 fps. You really need to sit down and play a game that is 30 vs one that is 60. The difference is night and day.
I'm well aware of the difference. Destiny is one of the best playing shooters around and it's 30fps. I understand that 60fps is objectively better. However, whether it's a shooter or a racing game like Driveclub, 30fps does give the developers more room to focus on other aspects of a game. Placing arbitrary restrictions on developers, in this case 4k/60, is silly.

Darius87

e32019-halo-infinite-screenshot-11-1560116289165_1280w.jpg

The-Last-Of-Us-2-4K-2060x1159.jpg

Paradicia

I'm well aware of the difference. Destiny is one of the best playing shooters around and it's 30fps. I understand that 60fps is objectively better. However, whether it's a shooter or a racing game like Driveclub, 30fps does give the developers more room to focus on other aspects of a game. Placing arbitrary restrictions on developers, in this case 4k/60, is silly.

You're really not well aware of the difference. Driveclub played like a piece of shit and was an average racing game at best. The whole point of releasing a game on a next-gen console is to release the arbitrary restrictions placed on it by the limitations of previous generations of hardware.

Riven326

Banned
You're really not well aware of the difference. Driveclub played like a piece of shit and was an average racing game at best. The whole point of releasing a game on a next-gen console is to release the arbitrary restrictions placed on it by the limitations of previous generations of hardware.
That's where you're wrong. The point of new hardware is to allow developers to go in whatever Direction They wish and succeed. If they choose to make a game that has very high fidelity and is 30fps, new hardware makes it easier for them to achieve that goal. New hardware it's not about setting some arbitrary restriction on developers and saying You must adhere to 4K 60fps and that is the be-all end-all.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
i don't know on what platform this was running but what i do know that lous2 is looking better than this even though is 30 fps, but still it's great example that hw doesn't really matter when there's enough juice already.

Or maybe 343 is getting enough out of Xbox Anaconda.

Paradicia

That's where you're wrong. The point of new hardware is to allow developers to go in whatever Direction They wish and succeed. If they choose to make a game that has very high fidelity and is 30fps, new hardware makes it easier for them to achieve that goal. New hardware it's not about setting some arbitrary restriction on developers and saying You must adhere to 4K 60fps and that is the be-all end-all.

How is 4K @ 60FPS a restriction? Would you have bought a PS4 Pro if all it could do was 720p @ 30 fps? The WHOLE point of new hardware is to lift the restrictions of old. Just because 343i are targeting 4K @ 60 fps doesn't mean it's going to make the game look worse. What kind of logic is that? If that's the way game devs thought we'd still be at sub 720p resolutions because they want to pump as many effects as possible.

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
How is 4K @ 60FPS a restriction? Would you have bought a PS4 Pro if all it could do was 720p @ 30 fps? The WHOLE point of new hardware is to lift the restrictions of old. Just because 343i are targeting 4K @ 60 fps doesn't mean it's going to make the game look worse. What kind of logic is that? If that's the way game devs thought we'd still be at sub 720p resolutions because they want to pump as many effects as possible.
It's a restriction that is being set by you and not the hardware itself. Although I suppose someone looking at 60 frames per second as kind of on the low end, would probably say that 4K at 60fps is kind of shit compared to 120 FPS. But now I'm kind of getting off topic.

You're doubling down on what you said before. But you are still wrong. The point of new hardware again, is to give Developers a greater set of tools to allow them to build their house. It does not mean that they now are able to build skyscrapers, nor does it mean that they should.

By the way, there are still people who say that they would prefer 720p games today weather greater amount of fidelity. I actually disagree with that, but there it is. It's still a valid way of thinking. Because technically you could get an insane amount of fidelity with the hardware of today at 720p. Certainly more than you could at 4k.

Regardless, I think this argument has run its course. I think developer should be the ones who decide what the frame rate is going to be. They are working within limitations. To address your question, Halo 5 will inevitably look worse at 60 frames a second then it would at 30 frames a second simply because there is less Headroom for developers to use in order to increase fidelity. In other words, there would be a greater level of overall graphic Fidelity at 30 frames a second versus 60 frames a second.

Paradicia

It's a restriction that is being set by you and not the hardware itself. Although I suppose someone looking at 60 frames per second as kind of on the low end, would probably say that 4K at 60fps is kind of shit compared to 120 FPS. But now I'm kind of getting off topic.

You're doubling down on what you said before. But you are still wrong. The point of new hardware again, is to give Developers a greater set of tools to allow them to build their house. It does not mean that they now are able to build skyscrapers, nor does it mean that they should.

By the way, there are still people who say that they would prefer 720p games today weather greater amount of fidelity. I actually disagree with that, but there it is. It's still a valid way of thinking. Because technically you could get an insane amount of fidelity with the hardware of today at 720p. Certainly more than you could at 4k.

Regardless, I think this argument has run its course. I think developer should be the ones who decide what the frame rate is going to be. They are working within limitations. To address your question, Halo 5 will inevitably look worse at 60 frames a second then it would at 30 frames a second simply because there is less Headroom for developers to use in order to increase fidelity. In other words, there would be a greater level of overall graphic Fidelity at 30 frames a second versus 60 frames a second.

There is no restriction being set by me. This the target frame rate and resolution the makers of the game are aiming for. They are building Halo: Infinite the way they want to build it. Why buy a new Ferrari if you're only going to drive it at 30 miles per hour? Wouldn't you want to at least make it go 60 - seeing that it's within the capability of the car and engine to do so? No one here besides the people who are building the next Xbox know what the actual specs are. You're really selling short what next-gen hardware is going to be capable of.

Why build something worse when you have the tools to make it better? 343i are developing an engine that will be capable of running on current, next-gen and PC. They really aren't working in any limitations beside what the hardware running the game is scaled for. The engine is scalable!

LordOfChaos

Good video. Thanks for posting, this is the last time I give 343 a chance. If they fuck this up, I’m done with Halo.

I'm hoping it ends the Created side story, Cortana stays dead forever, and we can move on to the cool shit, the second judgement of the Precursors. The Precursor trilogy by Greg Bear and Hunt the Truth were setting up all this cool stuff and I was pumped on Halo lore before going into Halo 5, but that excitement just isn't there anymore.

I defended 4 as their first entry into the series, thought it was an ok building block, but the story of 5 just went off the rails on this weird tangent, space ghost cortana feels almost fanfic. This game really will be what determines my continued interest in Halo.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm hoping it ends the Created side story, Cortana stays dead forever, and we can move on to the cool shit, the second judgement of the Precursors. The Precursor trilogy by Greg Bear and Hunt the Truth were setting up all this cool stuff and I was pumped on Halo lore before going into Halo 5, but that excitement just isn't there anymore.

I defended 4 as their first entry into the series, thought it was an ok building block, but the story of 5 just went off the rails on this weird tangent, space ghost cortana feels almost fanfic. This game really will be what determines my continued interest in Halo.
I'd say there is a 100% chance Cortana returns.

Riven326

Banned
There is no restriction being set by me. This the target frame rate and resolution the makers of the game are aiming for. They are building Halo: Infinite the way they want to build it. Why buy a new Ferrari if you're only going to drive it at 30 miles per hour? Wouldn't you want to at least make it go 60 - seeing that it's within the capability of the car and engine to do so? No one here besides the people who are building the next Xbox know what the actual specs are. You're really selling short what next-gen hardware is going to be capable of.

Why build something worse when you have the tools to make it better? 343i are developing an engine that will be capable of running on current, next-gen and PC. They really aren't working in any limitations beside what the hardware running the game is scaled for. The engine is scalable!
You know what other game series also optimizes for 60 frames per second? The Call of Duty games. It still doesn't change the fact that Call of Duty would look a hell of a lot better if it were a 30 frames per second game. You don't have to like that fact, but it's still a fact. I also prefer 60 frames per second in general for games. However, there are exceptions that I'm willing to make for certain franchises. Halo is one of those games that I'm willing to make an exception for, because I want the highest Fidelity possible in Halo.

One last thing. I'm not exaggerating or downplaying anything related to hardware. I don't know the final specs of the next Xbox or the next PlayStation, but what I do know is that they are not going to launch with something that is the equivalent or Superior to a RTX 2080ti. That's an extremely powerful card it's also very expensive, and it has trouble running today's games at 60 frames per second at 4K.

Whatever launches in these new consoles, it's not going to be as powerful as that card is today, so expecting 4K at 60 frames per second in next-generation games, and not expecting there to be some kind of impact to the visual fidelity, I think is silly.

Why are we comparing the trailer to TLOU2? Since when did people forget how much easier it is to make a single player cinematic experience look good, a game that is extremely linear, versus a large scale campaign/multiplayer game with battles versus numerous enemies on an epic scale? Is this real life? Regardless, the Infinite trailer looks great. It's in-engine for one, and if you haven't seen it in 4k HDR, then you shouldn't be talking about how it looks lol.

Darius87

Why are we comparing the trailer to TLOU2? Since when did people forget how much easier it is to make a single player cinematic experience look good, a game that is extremely linear, versus a large scale campaign/multiplayer game with battles versus numerous enemies on an epic scale? Is this real life? Regardless, the Infinite trailer looks great. It's in-engine for one, and if you haven't seen it in 4k HDR, then you shouldn't be talking about how it looks lol.
why not? is it illegal? i'm not comparing settings or fps just graphics because halo is ms flagship title and lou2 is sony flagship title(kind a). i really don't give a f if it's not apple to apple if someone want's all theyr life compare gt's to forza's is theyr choice to me there's no such restrictions until it's comparable by an art style.

pawel86ck

Banned
Drive Club on a G29 is really amazing game, IMO the best arcade racing game I have ever played on my racing wheel.

i don't know on what platform this was running but what i do know that lous2 is looking better than this even though is 30 fps, but still it's great example that hw doesn't really matter when there's enough juice already.
I would like to see ingame graphics, because on current generation everything looks different in the cutscens. In games like uncharted 4 or shadow of the tomb raider lighting and character models looks way better compared to real gameplay and there's no doubts in my mind theast of us part 2 will look worse during actual gameplay too. But there's still possibility Halo inifinite will look like that even during normal gameplay because game will be build with much faster hardware in mind, and if that's the case, then all people should be impressed (and especially if game will run at 4K and 60fps).

Three

I'm pretty sure what you saw was all mo-cap so you're actually saying that it's TOO real. Maybe you're just used to seeing 30 fps animations.

Are you saying that what you saw isn't convincing? If they showed a CGI trailer with the exact same storyboard you would probably say the same thing.
I think it looked sped up. Maybe you're right and it's actually just uncanny valley but something about the movement doesn't look right

Darius87

I would like to see ingame graphics, because on current generation everything looks different in the cutscens. In games like uncharted 4 or shadow of the tomb raider lighting and character models looks way better compared to real gameplay and there's no doubts in my mind theast of us part 2 will look worse during actual gameplay too. But there's still possibility Halo inifinite will look like that even during normal gameplay because game will be build with much faster hardware in mind, and if that's the case, then all people should be impressed (and especially if game will run at 4K and 60fps).
all screenshots are ingame lou2 is on ps4pro and i don't know about halo, i don't think lou2 will look worse on ps4pro then what it was shown in gameplay trailer.

truth411

Unpopular opinion incoming....
The game trailer when I first saw it looks like a current gen game. (I thought it was running Xbox One X). With PC it's still a tall task for 4k/60fps gaming across the board. It seems arbitrarily waste of resources going for 4k/60 in a console especially when resolution isn't the end all an be all when it comes to graphics.
Why not 4k/30 for graphical fidelity and a 1440p or 4k checkerboard 60fps mode for those wanting better response time.

SquireDalbridge

Neo Member
What Alex is saying reminds me of the PS4 game The Order 1886.
The texture of the clothing and leather and Metal.
So Halo's video is not that impressive. We have seen such detail before

Riven326

Banned
Unpopular opinion incoming....
The game trailer when I first saw it looks like a current gen game. (I thought it was running Xbox One X). With PC it's still a tall task for 4k/60fps gaming across the board. It seems arbitrarily waste of resources going for 4k/60 in a console especially when resolution isn't the end all an be all when it comes to graphics.
Why not 4k/30 for graphical fidelity and a 1440p or 4k checkerboard 60fps mode for those wanting better response time.
That's a good point. 1440p looks great on a 4k tv. Developers could go that route, prioritize frame rate, in this case 60, nd still have enough head room for great visuals as well. This "4k/60 or nothing!" argument is rigid and silly. There are plenty of pc gamers who play at 1440p and love it. It's the console manufacturers that have brainwashed people into believing this 4k hype. That's my take on it.

Last edited:
Ugh, just gonna suck having to wait so long to see more. I enjoyed the DF breakdown and thought the trailer was fine on its own. I'm glad 343 is sticking with 60fps because it felt soooo good in H5. I loved Halo 5 and although the campaign could have been better, I loved having the squad with you (and the controls are perfect). They better not drop Warzone because that's the best thing they've added to the Halo formula.

GymWolf

In a world when a current gen console can run stuff like this with a shitty old hardware and in game (so without enhanced details) that trailers doesn't look mind blowing.

YFFP314.gif

42824697732_dc60d08041_o.gif

Of course the game looks very pretty, even great in some details but not "nextgen melt my brain pretty", at least for me and a shitton of people here and in every forum that i visit.

Games like kz4 and infamous 3 are more of a generation leap compared with the previous chapters, halo 6 compared to halo 5? Not that much...at least in cinematic cutscene.
maxresdefault.jpg

I'm more than happy to eat a crows if the final game can prove me wrong, i'm a halo fan too. (Not so fan of the last 2 chapters tho)

Romulus

Since when it's fair to compare something running on current gen versus next gen? Thats apparently fine despite magnitudes less horsepower but larger environments versus smaller environments isn't. Lol

Paradicia

In a world when a current gen console can run stuff like this with a shitty old hardware and in game (so without enhanced details) that trailers doesn't look mind blowing.

YFFP314.gif

Of course the game looks very pretty, even great in some details but not "nextgen melt my brain pretty", at least for me and a shitton of people here and in every forum that i visit.

Games like kz4 and infamous 3 are more of a generation leap compared with the previous chapters, halo 6 compared to halo 5? Not that much...at least in cinematic cutscene.
maxresdefault.jpg

I'm more than happy to eat a crows if the final game can prove me wrong, i'm a halo fan too. (Not so fan of the last 2 chapters tho)

I guarantee you that those target renders won't end up on the PS4. The release will be delayed for both Tlou2 & Ghost of Tsushima and they will end up on PS5.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
all screenshots are ingame lou2 is on ps4pro and i don't know about halo, i don't think lou2 will look worse on ps4pro then what it was shown in gameplay trailer.
Man I have played U4 on my PS4P and I have no reason to expect The Last Of us Part 2 ingame graphics fidelity will match cutscene graphics fidelity.

TBiddy

I guarantee you that those target renders won't end up on the PS4. The release will be delayed for both Tlou2 & Ghost of Tsushima and they will end up on PS5.

They definitely wont look like that on the PS4. And they will definitely look a lot worse when viewed on a 55" TV than in a small GIF.

YFFP314.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

Have you played Halo 5? It looks like shit on the S, X, as well as Forge on PC. The textures are shit. This looks phenominal in comparison and is just a tiny portion of what may be a fairly open world game that will be 60fps and 4k.

like shit I tell you. It barely looks finished.

Last edited:

Paradicia

That's a good point. 1440p looks great on a 4k tv. Developers could go that route, prioritize frame rate, in this case 60, nd still have enough head room for great visuals as well. This "4k/60 or nothing!" argument is rigid and silly. There are plenty of pc gamers who play at 1440p and love it. It's the console manufacturers that have brainwashed people into believing this 4k hype. That's my take on it.

How is it a rigid argument? You're basically saying that developers shouldn't try hard and just play it safe and not try and innovate. For all we know, 343i will have scalable options for players to choose high frame rate/high-resolution settings. I'm happy with whatever resolution a game developer decides is best for their game.

GymWolf

Have you played Halo 5? It looks like shit on the S, X, as well as Forge on PC. The textures are shit. This looks phenominal in comparison and is just a tiny portion of what may be a fairly open world game that will be 60fps and 4k.

like shit I tell you. It barely looks finished.

so are we comparing a cutscene in a 2x2 room with 2 chara on screen from halo 6 with gameplay of halo 5? let's talk about what we have available at the moment...
from an in-engine cinematic point of view, the difference between halo 5 and halo 6 is not that remarkable...

Last edited:

NickFire

Man if they have great graphics / 60 FPS, a campaign as fun as part 1, and a fun multiplayer component that will be something special.

I think now that we have variable refresh rate, games can have unlocked framerate on some tvs and run at 40+fps as locked framerates tend to leave a bit of excess performance on the table.
Checkerboard or other upscaling techniques have proven quite effective, some are practically artifact free and difficult to tell from native.

so are we comparing a cutscene in a 2x2 room with 2 chara on screen from halo 6 with gameplay of halo 5? let's talk about what we have available at the moment...
from an in-engine cinematic point of view, the difference between halo 5 and halo 6 is not that remarkable...
I'd watch a few more cutscenes, most of them do not look stellar by any means. The Discover Hope trailer makes it look like CGI in comparison.

GymWolf

i played the game like every other halo games, my point is that those example down here are the type of leap people expect from a gen to another:
58c8d8ec051cc62a257dd5ff65281af9.gif

giphy.gif

p6lqhvjsxao11.gif

giphy.gif
2104012-169_killzone_3_cutscene_ps3_020411_sev_rico_high_ground.jpg

2380927-amarectv2013-11-1523-t0ufp.jpg
and for now with the little material we have, it doesn't seem the case with infinite, but like i said we have so little material available, we need some long gameplay trailer to really talk about graphics.
also halo 6 is a cross-gen title and it doesn't use all the power of scarlet, i give you that and the 4k60 frame feature.
(sorry for my english, i'm italian)

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

YFFP314.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

i played the game like every other halo games, my point is that those example down here are the type of leap people expect from a gen to another:
58c8d8ec051cc62a257dd5ff65281af9.gif

giphy.gif

p6lqhvjsxao11.gif

giphy.gif
2104012-169_killzone_3_cutscene_ps3_020411_sev_rico_high_ground.jpg

2380927-amarectv2013-11-1523-t0ufp.jpg
and for now with the little material we have, it doesn't seem the case with infinite, but like i said we have so little material available, we need some long gameplay trailer to really talk about graphics.
also halo 6 is a cross-gen title and it doesn't use all the power of scarlet, i give you that and the 4k60 frame feature.
(sorry for my english, i'm italian)
That's quite underwhelming if true. Looks pretty common.

But it's too soon I guess.
Simple. Its on Xbox.
Well
I have a good suggestion for you guys. Try opening those PS4 screenshots in new tab and zooming in. Now, try the same with the Halo Infinite screenshots.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
I have a good suggestion for you guys. Try opening those PS4 screenshots in new tab and zooming in. Now, try the same with the Halo Infinite screenshots.

I don't think they realise one's running in native 4K at 60fps. Wouldn't waste my energy.

One looks 10x as crisp. And someone thinks grabbing compressed 720p youtube shots is how you compare fuck I've seen some shit on here but that's up there.

Last edited:

Ornoku

The halo trailer looked great I don't understand why everyone always has to get so upset and compare things they might not understand fully. We all get great looking games whats wrong with that.

GymWolf

I don't think they realise one's running in native 4K at 60fps. Wouldn't waste my energy.

One looks 10x as crisp. And someone thinks grabbing compressed 720p youtube shots is how you compare fuck I've seen some shit on here but that's up there.

i mean, of course 4k beats 1080p, this wasn't even a discussion...

personally i was talking about raw graphics and details and i multiple times said that 4k60 is a plus of halo 6.

rdr1 4k on xone x still sucks ass compared to rdr2 in full-hd in terms of overall graphics, that was the point of my examples...

Last edited:

Romulus

4k 60fps doesn't make a game look great by itself. Neither does ray tracing or GI.

PS5 and the next Xbox is backward compatible, and I'm sure alot of ps4/X games will be 4k 60fps, but it won't suddenly make all those backward compat games look amazing. Some will really benefit though, but I think Halo infinite has a problem with one foot stuck in the past generation looking at that human character and those flickering shadows. Sure zooming in 10x on a dude's sleeve fabric looks wonderful, but it matters little when the character itself looks off. Chief looks pretty good but he's all armor, but definitely not the jump I expecting considering the massive gulf in horsepower.

I think there's a valid opinion about this game's visuals that can be negative and still not be trolling or ignorant. Not sure why everyone has to be uninformed or trolling because they're not over the moon about this. We'll see though, lots of time and we still need to see gameplay.

carsar

Why do we obsess about 60fps and 60hz target? I don't know why developers refuse of 50hz which all TVs support. Lifehack -you can force 50hz input and turn on vsync. So, If you get stable 50fps you wuould see absolutely fluid framepacing 20ms-20ms-20ms--20-ms without juddering. 60hz is just stereotype from the time of flickered TVs. At now 50hz and 60hz are almost same, but 60hz has slightly better motion resolution(still bad compared black frame insertion or 240hz) and slightly better response.

p.s. 2018 trailer was much more interesting
LAZgvuv.jpg

LSWZ0sj.jpg

Y1bLk1E.jpg

RTWCejw.jpg

EGmQRu5.jpg

T9WbmLv.jpg

k9fiO9V.jpg

CDfrXcM.jpg

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
4k 60fps doesn't make a game look great by itself. Neither does ray tracing or GI.

I wasn't arguing the fact that it makes a game look great by its self, but you have to take into consideration why when one game is pushing 60fps and 4x the resolution does one look like it has more detailed back ground environments? TLoU2 will be like the first and a very static environment, it's silly comparisons to have.

My issue was its ike asking why CoD doesn't look as detailed as Uncharted. Games targeting totally different genres and goals.

If Sony ever release a FPS again I hope people don't go expecting as much detail as their story telling walking pace games, we won't be getting a truely noticeable generational jump here. My 1080ti puts out games in the same vicinity of my X in a visual perspective (not the framerate). Games will look better on the PS5 nextbox, but will they look as good as any previous jump? Nah, they'll use the resources for higher resolutions and frame rates, which I'm actually all for.

Top Bottom