• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Age of Empires 3 Definitive Editon - PC Tech Review.

Do you like what they've done with the AoE3 remaster?

• I love AoE3 and I love this remaster.

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I love AoE3 and I don't think they're nailed the remaster.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Never played AoE3 but this looks tight.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Never played AoE3 and this doesn't look good to me.

• I've a more nuanced opinion.

• I didn't like AoE3 and this looks crud.

• I have a more nuanced opinion.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't like AoE3 but this looks good.

• Total voters

Tschumi

((Sorry, could a mod please delete one of my two 'I have a more nuanced opinion" poll options?))

I've had a quick search and find no similar threads for this video that was released a couple of days ago.

I'm writing this post - which is to say I think I have an excuse to write this post - because I love the hell out of the Age of Empires series. Maybe I'm not the best person to talk about AoE3 because I happen to think that game was sacrilege. HOWEVER, I'm really glad that Alex Battaglia made this video.

I'm of the group who don't like Alex-san much when he's talking about consoles and lighting effects, but I actually think it's pretty great that he's the resident dude to talk about RTS games. I say this because Germany and it's neighbors are responsible for some great RTS-style titles over the last few decades (Patrician, Anno, whathaveyou) - I was living in Germany when I first played AoE2, which I initially bought in German, for example - and something in me suspects that he's been part of that German RTS community since long before DF became a thing.

ANYWAY. my thoughts on this video.

I don't like it (the remastered game) much. That's just my reaction, but I didn't like the visuals of the OG AoE3 and I don't like the visuals here. I also guess they haven't done much to fix the nasty gameplay.

... the soft colours of ensemble's ground and building textures seem to have been rendered harsher and more shaded, to their detriment, here...

BnDzLp0.jpg

... and it looks like they haven't done much to change the field of view - which I always felt to be a bit letterbox.

C0Gx0za.jpg

...they also seem to have been a bit slack on character models, which Alex points out, and those models were never crash hot... (also note that the ground texture in the original - left side - image actually looks nicer)

IDRj1ng.jpg

I also didn't dig Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition that much either, because advanced graphics were probably the last thing that game needed when it was chugging along in its HD edition (I'm saying Ensemble's immaculate scripting was sorely missing)

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I won't be getting this game because I don't like the gameplay, and I don't think these graphics were done with enough sympathy to the original eiditon.

Do you love Age of Empires? Indeed, specifically AoE3? What're your thoughts on this?

ps. yeah these are all snips of a small frame youtube video.. i think they're sufficient to make my point, but you can watch the video above~

Last edited by a moderator:

SinDelta

After seeing how well the remasters of 1 and 2 were it is disappointing to see the problems that have come up with 3. For some reason the number 3 can be something akin to a curse with videogame entries.

Hopefully they get this fixed and sorted out otherwise my faith in Age of Empires 4 and any potential Age of Mythology DE will plummet just like my chances of buying them.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
After seeing how well the remasters of 1 and 2 were it is disappointing to see the problems that have come up with 3. For some reason the number 3 can be something akin to a curse with videogame entries.

Hopefully they get this fixed and sorted out otherwise my faith in Age of Empires 4 and any potential Age of Mythology DE will plummet just like my chances of buying them.
DE 1 launch was a disaster, but they patched it out. They'll fix every AoE 3 issue. They support these games like crazy.

Hudo

DE 1 launch was a disaster, but they patched it out. They'll fix every AoE 3 issue. They support these games like crazy.
Exactly. It's far from a perfect launch but it's way, way, waaaay better than the current (!) state of WarCraft III: Refunded. That game needs to be scrapped and re-remade, IMHO.

I do hope we'll see something from AoE4 next, though...

Tschumi

Exactly. It's far from a perfect launch but it's way, way, waaaay better than the current (!) state of WarCraft III: Refunded. That game needs to be scrapped and re-remade, IMHO.

I do hope we'll see something from AoE4 next, though...
I sincerely hope aoe4 will be much closer to age of mythology (as an extension of aoe2 Gameplay) than aoe3~

Top Bottom