• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: All PS5 and Xbox Series X games that support 120fps

Dnice1

"We did some research and this article is the result: a comprehensive list of all PS5 and Xbox Series X games that are set to exceed the traditional 60fps limit of consoles. As well as the game list, we've included what you need to know about the tech underpinning 4K 120Hz televisions - HDMI 2.1 - and the best 4K TVs to choose for next-gen gaming. '

Why is 120fps better than 60fps?

Answer: the higher your frame-rate, the lower your input lag and the higher your temporal resolution.

Both of these side effects make it easier to play fast-paced games like shooters or racing games, as you'll be able to react sooner to the sudden appearance of an enemy or see the apex of a rapidly approaching corner more clearly. You can see this demonstrated in our "Beyond 60fps" video, where higher game frame-rates and monitor refresh rates make fast-moving characters in Counter-Strike move more fluidly and appear on-screen sooner. In short, it just feels better.

jpg

Full list of 120fps PS5 games

• Dirt 5
Full list of 120fps Xbox Series X games

• Dirt 5
  • ExoMecha
  • Gears 5
  • Halo Infinite (multiplayer)
  • Metal: Hellsinger
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Orphan of the Machine
  • Second Extinction

GHG

Gold Member
They only made this article because Xbox had more. Most of them Very low class games and Halo, You know... Craig.

120fps sounds completely unecessary to me. Dirt should push for better graphics at locked 60fps.

Dirt 5 is crossgen.

It's made with last gen consoles in mind first.

DESTROYA

The question I have is how many people have the hardware to get 120hz ?
Most people that get these new consoles won’t be able too unless they have a TV that does, unless you upgrade to the TV’s or play on a monitor that do it will be pointless.
Not saying it’s not a great feature to have but the vast majority people still play on 60hz TV’s.

It only matters for nerd fanboys wars on YouTube comment section.

Played Zelda: Ocarina of Time at locked 20fps back then, zero issue and It is still one of the best game of all time.

The general consumer doesnt care all that much.
Oh god, bragging about ancient games running sub 60 isn’t some proof that 60 FPS is fine. It’s not. Move on with the times.

They only made this article because Xbox had more. Most of them Very low class games and Halo, You know... Craig.

120fps sounds completely unecessary to me. Dirt should push for better graphics at locked 60fps.
Can MS actually have good games before they start worrying about 120fps?
It only matters for nerd fanboys wars on YouTube comment section.

Played Zelda: Ocarina of Time at locked 20fps back then, zero issue and It is still one of the best game of all time.

The general consumer doesnt care all that much.
9b8.jpg

Amaranty

Whatever the case, PS5 and XSX outputting at 4K/120fps will bring input lag even lower than before - below 10 ms.

Hopefully majority of mid/high range TVs will support HDMI 2.1 next year.

Whatever the case, PS5 and XSX outputting at 4K/120fps will bring input lag even lower than before - below 10 ms.

Hopefully majority of mid/high range TVs will support HDMI 2.1 next year.
You're forgetting that Microsoft has changed the way input lag is handled on the Series X, they've decoupled it from framerate.

Oh god, bragging about ancient games running sub 60 isn’t some proof that 60 FPS is fine. It’s not. Move on with the times.

Maximum achievement right there:

It shouldnt be seen as something so special, come on Man...

GoT and TlouPart2 with a 4k/60fps patch with some other effects on are doing 1000x more than many of these games Just because "muh 120fps".

The whole package is what really matters. I heard that devs behing the Ue5 demo was aiming to push at 60fps. That would be an amazing achievement If It happens.

Maximum achievement right there:

It shouldnt be seen as something so special, come on Man...

GoT and TlouPart2 with a 4k/60fps patch with some other effects on are doing 1000x more than many of these games Just because "muh 120fps".

The whole package is what really matters. I heard that devs behing the Ue5 demo was aiming to push at 60fps. That would be an amazing achievement If It happens.
Both of these consoles will have NO PROBLEM pushing 100 plus frames with good fidelity. It’s going to be special. The whole package is better with higher frames. It’s as simple as that.

Uusis

Banned
And people go batshit crazy about 120hz tv:s when handfull of console games will support that. Hopefully when years go by there will be more than +20 games that supports 120fps.

On PC, monday gonna be crazy fun when my new 32" 240hz Samsung G7 gonna arrive.

Freeman

Banned
My LG TV turned out to be 120fps at 1080p, I haven't tried it yet but I wonder if it makes as much of a diference if you are using a gamepad compared to if your were using K&M.

I'm much more sensible to FPS when using K&M.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Are there any benefits at all if you don't have a compatible TV?

Absolutely zero.

Found an article:

There are benefits to internally rendering higher than the refresh rate of a monitor.

Last edited:

Skyr

My LG TV turned out to be 120fps at 1080p, I haven't tried it yet but I wonder if it makes as much of a diference if you are using a gamepad compared to if your were using K&M.

That really is the difference between PC and consoles.

60 FPS feels fine with a gamepad but feels like absolute trash with precise mouse look. You need at least 90-100fps for that to feel good imo.

120fps is a nice extra for consoles for fast paced games but I don’t feel like it’s super necessary because of the gamepad.

Freeman

Banned
That really is the difference between PC and consoles.

60 FPS feels fine with a gamepad but feels like absolute trash with precise mouse look. You need at least 90-100fps for that to feel good imo.

120fps is a nice extra for consoles for fast paced games but I don’t feel like it’s super necessary because of the gamepad.
30fps on my PC the game is legit unplayable, yet I play on 30fps on my PS4 Pro and it doesn't bother me at all (what bothers me on consoles are stupid games that have unlocked frame rate that is neither 30 or 60 most of the time).

Agent X

So any next gen games ?

Or is it all cross gen games with simpler graphics or 2 D indie stuff ?

Good point.

Where was this list when PS4 had 90 & 120fps VR games?

Also a good point.

Did you know that Super Stardust HD on PS3 (yes, PlayStation THREE) was able to output 120 fps over 10 years ago? Here, let Digital Foundry tell you all about it:

Both of these consoles will have NO PROBLEM pushing 100 plus frames with good fidelity. It’s going to be special. The whole package is better with higher frames. It’s as simple as that.

Problem is that none of those games, specially the ones I posted pics arent a standard by any means

Sure the higher framerates the better, same can be said to resolutions. But there comes to a point that Its Just not worth sacrificing a Lot of stuff that also contributes to have an immerse and enjoyable experience Just to push for more fps or res that does not represent a real, easily notable difference above a certain point.

Sure 60fps is easily way smoother when compared to 30fps, Just as 1080p has Far crispier image than 720p, but notice How the difference tend to be much, much less pronounced the higher is the more Basic resolution (1440p compared to native 4k), specially with afavnced upscale techniques. The same can be said in regards to fps as 60fps is Just smooth enough.

If your game looks like crap like the ones I posted or just too basic, so no problem pushing for more fps. But If You have a much more ambiton when It comes to graphics fidelity like UE DEMO, no point Going too high (above locked 60fps).

Rikkori

It's still noticeable in some games, eg I play Division 2 at 120 fps with gamepad and it feels much better than 60 fps. But I will agree that it's the exception.

Reality check. For me to hit 120+ FPS on many games with my 2080 TI, I have to drop the resolution down to 1080p.
Has Microsoft confirmed that this 120 FPS mode is with 4k or a lower res? Because I never claimed 4k 120 FPS is modern gaming. That’s a very limited market And that’s only after the new 3000 series cards are out.. I am assuming this 120 fps mode is with 1080p.

Last edited:
Top Bottom