• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] - Assassin's Creed Valhalla Patch 1.0.4 - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/ Series S - Has Frame-Rate Improved?

AnotherOne

Who does DF think these videos are for? The average person doesn't know or give 2 shits about fps or res.. I'm glad for DF and that it exists and the guys are all cool but they shouldn't bother arguing with retards and mega fanboys.

Especially considering he was fully engaged in this "unhealthy" discussion like three days ago:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/vg-t...xsx-1080p-ac-valhalla.1579207/#post-261314871
Discussing video games on a video game message board is one thing. The console zealotry that some of you practice is quite another.
"Neo" member.

Tries to pretend to be "neutral".

Immediately attacks the community.

You're not as subtle or slick as you think you are.
Neat

Ev1L AuRoN

giphy.gif

The resolution gate is back people :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Topher

Gold Member
Discussing video games on a video game message board is one thing. The console zealotry that some of you practice is quite another.

Well then just ignore the "zealots" and talk about video games.

There is this handy "ignore" feature at your disposal. Click the person's name, click Ignore and.....

....wait....where'd he go?

Last edited:
I don't think they made any changes to the PS5 version though. It's the XSX that had the change made to the resolution range to eliminate screen tearing and to reach 60FPs more often. It was just a quick fix.
There is most definitely a downgrade in lod transition, draw distance and tesselation. That's a fact. No word on the differences between quality and performance mode. For me that's probably the most useless video DF made in a long time. They just shat it out. Sorry.

mrmeh

The latest video from redgamingtech

The gpu computation potential of ps5 (higher gpu frequency, which is surprising in terms of results, raster triangle, pixel fill rate...) its unified cpu cache as its memory. The PS5 dominates in the comparisons of the first multiplatform games and that without the vrr, without oodle, without the geometry engine (house equivalent of the features rdna2 + exclusive features) him not yet mastered, whereas on XSX the vrr and vrs are already used (additional proof that there is no real delay).

So every platform will be entitled to perfs optimizations, not only the XSX as some people seem to imagine. By the way, redgamingtech points out that the potential for future improvements is greater on PS5. The argument tools/drivers/devkit in delays... etc doesn't really hold, some devs from codemasters have already denied this and several factual facts.

:messenger_grinning_smiling: That guy is awful... just console war clickbait.

VRR is not an advanced feature you have to code for - believe it works with any pc game that's not got v-sync toggled on with a compatible graphics card and monitor, surprised its not working out of the box on the PS5 but Sony's other stuff is on point so maybe wasn't a priority.

VRS - I've only heard about this being used in Gears, a first party title that has been polished. I would be interested to hear if its been used on anything else yet?

I'm disappointed with how Valhalla performs on all platforms(Takes a silly set up to hit 60fps at decent res on pc). It doesn't seem a massive leap over previous open world titles? but runs like shit.

N.b only watched it being played on YouTube, not played myself so might be much more impressive for reals.

Last edited:
Guys, now seriously. Why is the PS5 performing better, despite having a "less strong" GPU on paper? Is it because they essentially removed any bottlenecks that could happen within the system, or the custom RDNA2 (3?) features of Sony?

I still think its funny that people thought that Sony will just launch with a weaker console compared to the competition, just because they did so back with the Pro vs One X. The difference back then was that the Pro launched one year earlier than the One X. But it is still interesing to know how the PS5 can outperform the competition, even if it appears to be "weaker" on paper.

Last edited by a moderator:

ethomaz

Banned
Well df says it runs only worse in the opening cutscene. Not the gameplay
From what they tested yes.

Now imagine a patch that make part of the game that ram locked 60fps before to have dips now?

You will probably see people here using these dips (that where no present before) as something running worst than Series X lol

Last edited:
And all this while PS5 apparently can't hit the 10tf steadily because CPU and GPU aren't able to sustain their highest clocks simultaneously.

Right guys?
Funny how fud dies quickly in face of reality. Remember they were using a fake gpu /cpu profile tweeted by a guy in xbox era discord that showed inorder to keep cpu at 3.5 ghz gpu downclocks to 0.8 ghz meaning ps5 would be 5 tf in high frame mode where cpu has to push hard 😅😅😅🤣

Last edited:

geordiemp

:messenger_grinning_smiling: That guy is awful... just console war clickbait.

VRR is not an advanced feature you have to code for - believe it works with any pc game that's not got v-sync toggled on with a compatible graphics card and monitor, surprised its not working out of the box on the PS5 but Sony's other stuff is on point so maybe wasn't a priority.

VRS - I've only heard about this being used in Gears, a first party title that has been polished. I would be interested to hear if its been used on anything else yet?

I'm disappointed with how Valhalla performs on all platforms(Takes a silly set up to hit 60fps at decent res on pc). It doesn't seem a massive leap over previous open world titles? but runs like shit.

N.b only watched it being played on YouTube, not played myself so might be much more impressive for reals.

VRS was heavily use dion Dirt 5 on PC, full DX12 tier 2 according to developer, in fact it was almost half the bloody screen

-Arcadia-

Banned
Looks like a slapdash emergency patch to get things working better on X, which makes sense, given how quickly it emerged.

We’ll see if the game meaningfully improves in the future, but I don’t think this will be the update to do it. This is the ‘patch up the tire until later so the car doesn’t go off the road’ update.

Last edited:
The worries are that it had to have the floor lowered on the world's most powerful console.

It's not even noticable during gameplay. I'd much rather have that than torn frames. It's pretty much a wash. If you have to battle on certain scenes for sure the PS5 seems to keep a higher low bound resolution. Also tears more as well a little bit.

yurinka

eh, XSX runs now at a much higher and more consistent FPS and a higher average FPS. How is PS5 better? Lol
The resolution difference can’t be noticed anyways, since it’s very rare and most of the time the same.
What you notice however if you have a higher FPS.

Keep up? It runs the game at higher FPS

suddenly FPS don’t matter. Only RES:
This difference only happens on just a couple of specific cinamatic scenes, XSX achives it by rendeding ~45% less pixels than PS5 because its dynamic resolution goes down until 1188p, while the minimum in PS5 is 1440p.

Outside that the FPS is pretty much 60fps in both consoles with a few frames lost for time to time in both consoles, more frequently in XSX while running higher dynamic resolution on PS5.

PS5 is doing a better job but yes, outside these kind of comparisions videos most people won't notice any difference between both consoles in terms of resolution or fps. Now maybe the main difference will be loading times or DualSense features.

VRS was heavily use dion Dirt 5 on PC, full DX12 tier 2 according to developer, in fact it was almost half the bloody screen
In cases where both are achieving the same resolution and fps, if one console does it with VRS enabled then its image quality will be worse so it should counted as a negative point instead of a positive one.

Last edited:
Guys, now seriously. Why is the PS5 performing better, despite having a "less strong" GPU on paper? Is it because they essentially removed any bottlenecks that could happen within the system, or the custom RDNA2 (3?) features of Sony?

I still think its funny that people thought that Sony will just launch with a weaker console compared to the competition, just because they did so back with the Pro vs One X. The difference back then was that the Pro launched one year earlier than the One X. But it is still interesing to know how the PS5 can outperform the competition, even if it appears to be "weaker" on paper.

It's true that SeX's GPU is bigger, but this doesn't mean that it's better at everything a GPU does just because of its bigger size:

First off, both PS5 and XSX have the same amount of primitive units and ROPs.
4 = Prims 64 = ROPs
On XSX, running 4 prims at 1825 MHz gets you 7.3 Gtri/s of triangle output (rasterization) and 64 ROPs at 1825 MHz = 116.8 Gpix/s of fillrate.
On PS5, running 4 prims at 2230 MHz gets you 8.92 Gtri/s of triangle output (rasterization) and 64 ROPs at 2230 MHz = 142.72 Gpix/s of fillrate.

A clear-cut 22% uplift over XSX in favor of PS5 in both triangle output and fillrate.

And the variable clock. In situations where the game is CPU or GPU bound, one or the other not both, it's an advantage. The GPU will not be constrained by power budgets like it would with fixed clocks, the CPU will never use more energy that it actually needs to perform the task at hand preventing throttle.

Also, about the "tools".
What Microsoft is offering is a monumental thing, a single "tool" that can put games on all Xbox systems and PC, enable all the current technologies. But this comes at the cost of abstraction, which means "lower" performance. This isn't about the "tool" being mature or not, is just the reality of something designed to do what it does.
Extracting more performance of which system demands will and additional work of the developer.

But still, I believe that in the future will see SeX's performing better on multis.

Last edited:

Concern

Reminds me of when the 1X was having minor frame drops while at a much higher resolution than the pro but pro was the "winner".

Now Ps5 drops as much as 10 frames while only a little higher resolution. XSX the clear winner here. Gotta love fanboy logic 👏

Reminds me of when the 1X was having minor frame drops while at a much higher resolution than the pro but pro was the "winner".

Now Ps5 drops as much as 10 frames while only a little higher resolution. XSX the clear winner here. Gotta love fanboy logic 👏
No .

Ps5 does not drop in gameplay .its noted that mean fps is slightly higher than xsx in gameplay based on DF but at 50% higher resolution.

Ironic coming from you. Move along now if you have nothing to add but insults warrior.
But u r wrong. What do u want us to say? Ps5 does not drops frames during gameplay but only during cutscene .in fact the gameplay mean is slightly higher for ps5 than xsx gameplay mean frame at 50% higher res

Last edited:
Top Bottom