• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] - Assassin's Creed Valhalla Patch 1.0.4 - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/ Series S - Has Frame-Rate Improved?

ethomaz

Banned
They applied quick fix without doing any optimisation. Reducing vertical resolution in selected areas where console was dropping frames.
Both are over 99% of time with 60fps but hey if you want to compre these 0.1% differences:

PS5 without patch > Series X > PS5 with patch

That looking only at framerate... resolution was always worst on Series X and difference is now in +20%.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

You've still got nothing. The ONE example you had to really dig to try to show an XSX advantage turned out to be a PS5 bug. I have no idea what you think you are proving by bringing up AC in high resolution mode since the only thing DF had to say about that was that the XSX had camera stutter during panning shots while the PS5 didn't.

And yes you are a console warrior. I presented the fact that there is very little difference between the XSX and PS5. You are the one who went hunting to try to portray the XSX in the most favorable light. However that portrayal did not give the XSX a clear advantage like you wanted, and even then, your generous viewpoint turned out to be based on a bug. Then instead of updating your view based on new information, you simply doubled down to say again the XSX must have some advantage ...somehow...somewhere... based on absolutely nothing.

I'll repeat again. The XSX and PS5 have nearly identical performance. Any differences in a title will be made up by more aggressively doing dynamic resolution scaling which will be invisible to everyone except pixel counters. Frame rate and resolution simply will not be a key differentiator between the PS5 and XSX. It is possible that this will change later in the gen when advanced features of both consoles will be more fully used, but there is no way to currently evaluate how this will pan out since no games are fully using them. We don't even know all the customized features for each console.

Just point me in the direction of the evidence of PS5 outperforming the XSX in RT mode. I haven't seen it yet.

Neo Blaster

This is the 2nd time I've seen the PS5 have higher resolution but a less consistent framerate. The first was Dirt 5 120hz mode. So I can be clear, drops in framerate are OK as long as it has higher resolution or does smooth performance matter more? Sometimes it seems like the goals shift depending on which system we are talking about.
If the inconsistency is happening just on cutscenes like in AC, I don't mind trading them for higher res.

After watching the current-gen Digital Foundry console comparisons...

PlayStation stans be like:

BWMclVa.gif

Xbox bros be like:

XOP6uLL.gif

<hands my fellow Xbox bros a dry towel>

There, there, it's all better now.

"shh no tears only dreams"
udwiGoH.jpg

Our time will come... one day.

Gusy

After seeing results form various multi-plats comparisons I can only say two things:

1-Occam's Razor: If it looks like cheese, smells like cheese, tastes like cheese, sounds like cheese.. well shit, then it probably IS cheese.

2-Mark Cerny is a fucking marvel of the human species. It's like a mix of Ken Kutaragi's technical prowess mixed with actual common sense.

I love how these fanboys narratives got completely smashed on their heads thanks to this game lol

He's just hypocritical here, by he i am referring to Colt guy. Like he says don't be toxic like Bill. But Bill person in the tweet wasn't even toxic. He just called him out with that 1188p jab. If say Bill had used choicest words to ColtEastwood, then you/he could say Bill was being toxic. Colt needs to suck it up and move on!

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
Walking around Jorvik takes a serious performance hit on the XSX here. Without VRR, it would be unplayable. FPS seemed around 20-25 fps here, I wonder what's up with that area. A lot of people walking though, could be a CPU limitation.

This game didn't look next-gen to me until I used quality mode. Just can't do near 1080p resolution anymore. Absolutely stunning looking game on quality mode and the 30fps is not too bad in this game

Top Bottom