• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Battlefield 1 PS4 Pro vs PS4/PC Ultra Graphics Comparison/Analysis

In a previous video, DigitalFoundry said that Battlefield 1 lacks some details on PS4 like SSR on weapons. Was that added in the PS4 PRO version? Is there a locked 1080p mode with maxed out details like Mass Effect Andromeda?

No SSR is sadly not in. Was hoping for that.

brawly

I still don't know why they compare this to the PC, nobody wants to know if the PC with a 1080/TitanX is better. Why don't they just compare the Pro with the PS4 and XB1S to see the improvements from there.

I agree. Imo they put too much emphasis on how it's subpar to the PC version at 4K. I would've prefered more comparisons to the OG version.

To see where it fits in term of scalability and settings.

This is actually one thing that always bugs me about DF comparisons.

It's great for showing how well the console versions compare to what the developers were capable of making with effectively unlimited resources, but it tells us bugger all about comparative PC performance.

In an ideal world, we'd have a half dozen PC's with low, medium and high end performance with both AMD and Nvidia's most recent GPU's, along with how much those systems cost, and prebuilt PC's like the Alienware Alpha and some popular gaming laptops.

I mean I get that that's a fuckton of extra work, but as a low to mid range PC gamer myself, these comparisons tell me diddly squat about what the game will actually be like for me.

If anything, their PS4 and PS4Pro comparison does more to tell me how games will run on my PC then their PC footage does, because it should be somewhere between them graphically, just with better frame rates.

thelastword

Banned
In a previous video, DigitalFoundry said that Battlefield 1 lacks some details on PS4 like SSR on weapons. Was that added in the PS4 PRO version? Is there a locked 1080p mode with maxed out details like Mass Effect Andromeda?
Yeah these are the things I'm talking about as well, don't just say these things are missing or that the PC has better settings. Show me the differences visually.

I hope NX delivers here....

low-G

Yeah these are the things I'm talking about as well, don't just say these things are missing or that the PC has better settings. Show me the differences visually.

I hope NX delivers here....

When they show the tank, you can see the tank treads reflected in the metal of the tank on PC. That's actually what I looked for in this video.

bee

99.9% of the population don't game on high end pcs that cost 2000$, they play on laptops that run LoL and CS or Consoles for Fifa or call of Duty.

So pretty amazing for 400€ box.

nvidias recent financial results show you're wrong

I see DF keeps comparing a $2000 PC with a $400 console..... LOL!

Is it that hard for people to understand why? Using the base PS4 and a high end PC as points of reference they can examine where the PS4 Pro falls in. If the point was to compare the PS4 Pro with a PC based on cost they would have used a Core i3/RX470 machine or at most a midrange Core i5/GTX 1060 one.

napata

Yeah, but most of their profit doesn't come from gaming related sales tho.

Then where does their revenue come from according to you?

The actual answer is very easy to find but I'm curious what you think their biggest business is.

Lister

Banned
99.9% of the population don't game on high end pcs that cost 2000$, they play on laptops that run LoL and CS or Consoles for Fifa or call of Duty.

So pretty amazing for 400€ box.

With percentages out of your ass? Oh it's viHuGi, what a surprise.

The number of active steam users with PS4 Pro-like specs is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the number of PS4 Pro's currently out there. Well over 18 million actually, just skimming through Steam hardware survey.

I WOULD, however like to see Digital Foundry bring back the budget PC comparison to throw in there too. What does it take today to match or maybe slightly beat the PS4 Pro and see how that scales to the PS4 Pro as time goes on, both in terms of performance and price. Just like they did with their 750ti box, which did pretty damn well if IIRC.

This way you get a sense of really understanding where each game stands, and how it performs on budge and premium consoles, and on a budget and premium PC, I think that would be fantastic information for consumers.

dracula_x

The number of active steam users with PS4 Pro-like specs is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the number of PS4 Pro's currently out there.

Well over 18 million actually, just skimming through Steam hardware survey.

I WOULD, however like to see Digital Foundry bring back the budget PC comparison to throw in there too.

What does it take today to match or maybe slightly beat the PS4 Pro and see how that scales to the PS4 Pro as time goes on, both in terms of performance and price. Just like they did with their 750ti box, which did pretty damn well if IIRC.

This way you get a sense of really understanding where each game stands, and how it performs on budge and premium consoles, and on a budget and premium PC.

PC Gamer did this 3 years ago for OG PS4, didn't work well – http://www.pcgamer.com/pc-gamer-vs-playstation-4-theres-only-ever-going-to-be-one-winner-right/ :)

Howa, that's a nice improvement, specially the resolution.

Good job Dice
That resolution bit - is that the final resolution or does it mean that is the native resolution before the checkerboard technique takes it up to 4k?
From that res it's probably upscaled to a larger resolution and then checkerboarded.

Good to read actual evidence of performance enhancements rather than the bogus claims by some on here who said there weren't anything but a bump from 900p to 1080p.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Just started the video and my first thoughts are "Jesus Christ that is some terrible AI"

Lister

Banned
Why is there a PC master race discussion again?

You're the first one to bring up the term, so you tell us.

But my guess is that some people are angry that DF dared to show a PC performing better than their shiny new console, and feel defensive about it, so must start saying nonsense like it costs $2,000+ and no one has a PC like that so it doesn't matter, etc, etc.

Nevermind that a PC is precisely the perfect book end in order to place the PS4 and PS4 pro in a continuum of performance. That's valuable information precisely to the person who would be interested in a performance video in the first place. Some people would rather pretend gaming PC's don't exist though.

Lister

Banned
Half-hearted attempt with a far better cpu, far better gpu and without optimal prices.
I did the same before the PS4 even launched in germany and it worked quite well.

Yeah they definitely didn't just match the PS4 with that build. Mind you $600 is a sweet spot for entry level PC gaming. I wouldn't normally recommend going below that, unless you know the types of games you liek to play won't need much GPU power.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I guess all those people returning their Pro's after that The Last of Us topic must be feeling the heat now :p

Lister

Banned
I guess all those people returning their Pro's after that The Last of Us topic must be feeling the heat now :p

Did people really say that? So ridiculous. The Ps4 Pro is still a nice bump up form the original PS4, and a lot of those older games are likely to see more patches to improve performance, especially first party ones.

TheFatMan

Man anyone who returned the Pro over a game that is like 3 years old is insane.

The graphic improvements on Battlefield, IW and Ratchet and Clank are fantastic and they are only the beginning of what Devs are gonna be able to do with this thing. Especially if it keeps selling the way it has been.

Let fools be fools I say.

The number of active steam users with PS4 Pro-like specs is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the number of PS4 Pro's currently out there. Well over 18 million actually, just skimming through Steam hardware survey.

I WOULD, however like to see Digital Foundry bring back the budget PC comparison to throw in there too. What does it take today to match or maybe slightly beat the PS4 Pro and see how that scales to the PS4 Pro as time goes on, both in terms of performance and price. Just like they did with their 750ti box, which did pretty damn well if IIRC.

This way you get a sense of really understanding where each game stands, and how it performs on budge and premium consoles, and on a budget and premium PC.

That would be good to see, a RX 470 should be able to get the job done alongside a current gen or older i5, or maybe even an i3.

I'm not entirely sure about the Steam hardware survey numbers as we don't exactly know how many systems out of all of them on steam are surveyed.

As Lister mentioned Digital Foundry used to do them, the 750 Ti did a decent job at it, however it's GCN equivalent GPUs such as the 7850 and 7870 surpassed it, especially their refreshes, and these were launched in March 2012.

Their refreshes are just higher factory clocked GPUs.

The R7 370 was able to run GTA V at console equivalent settings at 50+ FPS with a 4 core Intel Processor, and 30+ FPS with an i3. It is able to run many games at console equivalent settings, or slightly higher with around the same or even better performance in some cases.

This GPU is theoretically only 8.3% faster than the PS4's GPU, it shows that the renowned console optimizations are overrated if a PC GPU which is less than 10% faster is able to perform just as good or even better in some cases.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 950 review (Features R7 370 performance)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=85031761&postcount=845

Better cpu, far better gpu.
It even had a useless Blu-Ray drive.
Though in the real world i would have added 30€ for a quality nt, kick the Blu-Ray drive out and replace the cpu with a 6300.

That was quite a solid build for PS4 performance, it would still perform as-well as or even better in some cases even today.

Although the CPU overhead for AMD GPUs with weaker CPUs can be a bit of an annoyance they are still able to offer around PS4 performance in quite a number of games, coupled with an i3 or an i5 it would be even better.

Now, this is the kind of upgrade that will get me to buy a ps4 pro if done frequently enough.
Downsampled IQ looking great on a 1080p screen.
Big performance boost.
Better effects.
Higher quality resolution and better streaming.

Taken together that is one very nice bump up from base ps4 graphics. Don't plan on getting a 4k screen for a few years, so getting all these benefits on a 1080p screen is great for me.

You're the first one to bring up the term, so you tell us.

But my guess is that some people are angry that DF dared to show a PC performing better than their shiny new console, and feel defensive about it, so must start saying nonsense like it costs $2,000+ and no one has a PC like that so it doesn't matter, etc, etc.

Nevermind that a PC is precisely the perfect book end in order to place the PS4 and PS4 pro in a continuum of performance. That's valuable information precisely to the person who would be interested in a performance video in the first place. Some people would rather pretend gaming PC's don't exist though.

That would explain why people talking about Nvidia and its profit-

Jose92

[Membe
For $490 you can get 1080P Ultra 60 FPS with vsync turned on, and more with Vsync off.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/NPPNvV

(If you stand the Windows 10 unregistrated text, otherwise add $30 on some keyselling site)

So just cause they use a $2000 doesnt mean you have to spend all that money to get BF1 running nicely.

add a good screen, keyboard, mouse, and speakers and you will see the price jump above $600.

Elios83

At least we're done with the bullshit NDA and constant misinformation about this title.
Great achievement by Dice, if they can patch HDR in it as well it would be the best situation.

I've spent around 30 hours on Base PS4.

And Yesterday I played 5 hours straight on PS4 Pro. I'm sold. Framerate is much batter. Image quality is absolutely crisp and the game is pure fun.

Played on Multiplayer, and be able to see foliage moving clearer. Textures looking sharper. Dice is just amazing.

Sadly I'm not playing on a 4K Screen yet, the results are outstanding for the price I paid.

For $490 you can get 1080P Ultra 60 FPS with vsync turned on, and more with Vsync off.

(If you stand the Windows 10 unregistrated text, otherwise add $30 on some keyselling site)

So just cause they use a $2000 doesnt mean you have to spend all that money to get BF1 running nicely.

This is how fanboys of a single platform work, they spread misinformation and lies about gaming platforms they dont use and claim PC Gaming costs the earth.

add a good screen, keyboard, mouse, and speakers and you will see the price jump above $600.

Keyboard and mouse $10-20. A screen and speakers? Really?

remember to add the cost of a good tv to the ps4

Smh, I can't believe people are still running with screen and speakers for PC Gaming.

They have also been adamant (Richard especially) at how much of a value PS4 Pro is at $400. The usual filth around here predictably and repeatedly ignore that fact.

Yup.

PS4 Pro users are getting high (SSR and Terrain Quality on Medium) at 1440p (or higher) at 60ish fps for 399.

I not here to say which is better. But both have their qualities. Also, the checkerboard rendering looks amazing on BF 1.

Sadly not that great on Tomb Raider in fast paced action scenes. I wonder what Nixxes has done wrong (or perhaps it's just that terrible engine created from Crystal Dynamics. Call of Duty also looks great with checkerboard rendering)

The PS4 Pro is awesome value for money, honestly it's great! Yeah they both do have their qualities.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is really CPU heavy, it could be the Pro's CPU struggling, hopefully patches can smooth out the performance.

PS4 Pro users are getting high (SSR and Terrain Quality on Medium) at 1440p (or higher) at 60ish fps for 399.

I not here to say which is better. But both have their qualities. Also, the checkerboard rendering looks amazing on BF 1.

Sadly not that great on Tomb Raider in fast paced action scenes. I wonder what Nixxes has done wrong (or perhaps it's just that terrible engine created from Crystal Dynamics. Call of Duty also looks great with checkerboard rendering)

Top Bottom