• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry & Bluepoint Games - Shadow of the Colossus on PS4 Tech Interview

JP

I haven't finished watching this yet but from what I have seen of this nearly 40 minute video, it's should be really interesting.

This is Digital Foundry's earlier "greatest console remake ever?" analysis of the PS4 version of the game.

Blackie

This game seems incredible and (along with Horizon/Nier/Person 5/Uncharted/TLOU2) REALLY makes me want to buy a PS4...

Amazing work John. An interview is always just as good as it's interviewerer and you nailed it here. The guy's really give away interesting and indepth info.

Bluepoint really are the best when it comes to remakes and remasters, and tech wizrds.

Only thing that bothered me with the Shadow remake was Wander's face was less animated.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Holy cow, they run two game engines simultaneously? And they still manage the performance and detail that they do? Wizards.

onQ123

The dev said to call it 1440P would be a lie.

I feel the same if the frame buffer is 4K the game is 4K it's just using a cheaper rendering technique to get to that 4K.

RuhRo

Bluepoint really are the best when it comes to remakes and remasters, and tech wizrds.

Only thing that bothered me with the Shadow remake was Wander's face was less animated.

Wander's model is sadly a lone weak spot in the remake's execution. Seeing them side by side, it's hard to conclude anything but this. Character modeling is an art, not a science, and what Blue Point did here is just wonky. A weird staring doll face with none of the melancholy gauntness of the original.

Ar¢tos

With the amount of remakes/remasters Sony has done this gen, and probably will continue doing in the future, they should just buy Bluepoint and have their own 1st party studio dedicated to these remakes/remasters (or create their own studio just for that).
I bought the game every time it was released and finished it several times, and i still want to play it again on Ps4 (it in my backlog...).
Such an amazing experience, it's right next to Journey in the category of "game as art" for me.

GenericUser

Bluepoint deserves all the credit they get. SotC Remake is on the same level as REmake and is a statue for Bluepoint. I know that they already have their hands on another remake and I am more then excited to play it. Wizards, absolute wizards.

Harlock

I was thinking that the game don't use the original code, but in the interview they talk how the PS2 are partially running in the background, while the graphics elements are being added by the bluepoint engine.

Dubloon7

Banned
i wi
Wander's model is sadly a lone weak spot in the remake's execution. Seeing them side by side, it's hard to conclude anything but this. Character modeling is an art, not a science, and what Blue Point did here is just wonky. A weird staring doll face with none of the melancholy gauntness of the original.
I'll never pick this up for the following reasons:

1. Wanders face is utter garbage and Bluepoint should feel embarrassed for it, and fix it!
2. I have it on PS3, so no big deal to get it other than to look at better grass and trees.....smh

Last edited:

elbow25

Neo Member
i wi

I'll never pick this up for the following reasons:

1. Wanders face is utter garbage and Bluepoint should feel embarrassed for it, and fix it!
2. I have it on PS3, so no big deal to get it other than to look at better grass and trees.....smh

Dude, this arguably one of the best looking games to come out this gen. I can assure you it's not just the trees and grass. You are right in regards to his face but that's it, SOTC is incredible looking.

Kremzeek

Thank you for posting this!

This is my 3rd time buying this game, and it's so great to see an in depth behind-the-scenes about developing this.

Mitzi

Neophyte

Thanks for pointing it out to people :) If enough acknowledges it perhaps, perhaps Bluepoint will address it. The detail Team Ico put into facial expressions on Wander was amazing, and Bluepoint scrapped it all. He's now totally absent minded, looks like he won't care and can't even move his eyes anymore. The rest got a lot of love, but they totally didn't care about the main character. A main character's personality is in my opinion a huge part of the game and impacts the story. Aside from facial animations, his upper body is way too rigid not allowing him to express the same awareness when looking at the colossi. It all carries on into the ending scene, making him look like he doesn't care much either.

I summed it all up here with videos and the pictures. Please ask Bluepoint to address Wander, thank you!
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/211369-shadow-of-the-colossus/76344179

Last edited:
Top Bottom