• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Burnout Paradise Remastered Xbox One X/Xbox One vs Original PC - "Not Just A Port!"

JP

Only the Xbox versions at the moment due to the EA subscription service. I'm pretty sure there will be an updated version in a few days.

• Developed by Stellar Entertainment. Some of the team have worked on the original version and all of the other Burnout games.
  • Last generation - 720p
  • Xbox One - 1080p - 60fps
  • Xbox One X - 4k - 60fps - In a single area it does drop to around 50fps which doesn't happen on the standard console. Only in that one place though.
  • Improvements over the highest PC settings.
  • Watch the video for all the improvements. ;)

Eurogamer said:
However the verdict is that Stellar Entertainment’s remastering work is exactly that – an honouring of the style and spirit of the original game. It refreshes the content for the current-gen machines, and the displays they are typically hooked up to. Nothing sticks out and everything is authentic to the original vision – in effect, the developer has delivered the Burnout Paradise experience you always thought you had in the first place, even though head-to-head comparisons reveal anything but.

JP

Yeah, I think as they said, it probably looks more like we remember the game looking rather than how it actually looked. I own the original game on the X and that looks pretty poor now, even with the standard improvements that backwards compatibility games get.

Zimmy68

Yes, this is just the old game with updated graphic tech bolted on just like the Bioshsock Collection.
I don't have an issue doing that, but charge accordingly.
This shouldn't have been a penny over $20.
Heck, they shouldn't even have bothered with physical media (although it will be nice to see it clearanced at Target in a month or so).

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
"Not just a port!" .. looks like a port.

Does anyone else want to punch Richard in the face whenever he talks, especially when he does his wavy hands stuff?

thelastword

Banned
Not just a port? Looks like one of the laziest ports ever.

Especially for it's outrageous price
Yeah, I thought the same...I mean TOM was so enthusiastic in tone about it's just not a port, but there's nothing too drastic here in terms of an upgrade. I mean I like the improved effects, like smoke/exhaust and particles, but most of the other changes are more aesthetic, like removing the yellow tint on the image, I like that, but then it's missing Motion Blur unlike the original, which DF always makes some noise about (especially dark10x)......I don't mind missing MB at 60fps, but tech is tech and if the original had it and this does not, you don't say (eh, it's not needed at 60 anyway), it's something that used to be there when the game was 60fps in all prior iterations, paradise was never 30fps...So an option to put it back in and turn it off if you want is necessary......Still, this game was locked 60fps on a PS3 throughout, it's not quite there on this one, maybe MB was causing even extra dips who knows, but as it stands there are dips and stutters without MB, so maybe they need to do some more optimization still.......

Will be looking forward to see how it fares on the other platforms, wish they would improve the assets a bit though, add some more polys and detail in the environment like the Wipeout remaster.........I also agree that this should be $20.00, it won't take too long to get there though, it's an EA game...

Last edited:
I find DF's conclusion to be a bit confusing here. This seems like nothing more than a quick a port of the PC version with some light tweaks to me.

Hopefully this -seemingly- throwaway release is an indication that a new Burnout is in the works. I'd love to see what a current gen Burnout title would look like with all of the bells and whistles turned up to eleven.

thelastword

Banned
In as much as I platinumned and loved Paradise, having eight persons to stay on the field in the stadium was a pain in the mass....Hopefully we get a new Burnout in the vein of Takedown, I want tracks to learn and master, no open world this time, let the open world format take a break for the next installment please...

Last edited:

DonF

Mmmm that is not impressive! it looks like a high res last gen game. Besides 60 fps, next to any other current gen racing game, it looks like shit. Its more shadow of the colossus ps3 than ps4.

Mmmm that is not impressive! it looks like a high res last gen game. Besides 60 fps, next to any other current gen racing game, it looks like shit. Its more shadow of the colossus ps3 than ps4.

It is remastered not remake, what do you expect? And it is EA, what do you expect from EA?

wipeout364

I was actually caught off guard by the price. Would have been a impulse buy at 30 to 40 range. I think it’s 55 here in Canada so they lost a sale from me. If I’m going to spend that much I’ll get something I haven’t played before.

I Honestly think a remaster can’t be that expensive and sell unless you are going to throw in multiple games. If they had thrown in Burnout 3 or even the criterion Need for Speed I might have bought it.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Oh man I think I immediately regret this purchase. I loved the first three burnout games so much and thought about giving this another chance ... but i really despise the open world nature of its racing and it's lack of a track layout.

I might try again tomorrow but I'm totally put off by it. Yuck

Last edited:

Artistic

Doesn't look like a big improvement visually, but good way to reintroduce gamers to the world of Burnout.

Also hope this means we'll see a new Burnout soon.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Microsoft just giving the original an X patch would of got it looking better than this.. Lazy af.

Top Bottom