• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Call Of Duty Black Ops 3 Face Off

KKRT00

I'm fascinated that this issue keeps coming up every time DF comes out with Face-Off results that clearly put PS4's version ahead of Xbox One's version. Everything is fine and dandy until DF offhandedly mentions that the Xbox One version is perfectly fine to play if that is the console you and your friends have.

And then some people just start losing their minds.

Fanboys gonna be fanboys ;/

Intrigue

Banned
Hmmm, I don't know about that, there were a LOT of really really bad PS3 ports. Much worse than anything we've seen this gen.

Possibly, I was not around here back then, but the games seemed to be "on par" graphically wise, now days its all about pixels/frame rates, I do not recall those to be nearly as off as it is now.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Possibly, I was not around here back then, but the games seemed to be "on par" graphically wise, now days its all about pixels/frame rates, I do not recall those to be nearly as off as it is now.
Then you recall wrong, I'm afraid. Things were pretty bad in the early days for PS3 owners. I still think the worst port of that generation is Splinter Cell Double Agent on PS3. Go look that up but, be warned, your eyes may not survive.

Because these articles are an analysis and not opinion pieces?
...and who are you to decide that? This situation isn't even really a matter of opinion so much as suggesting that the multiplayer portion of the game is fine on Xbox One since many people buy the game exclusively for MP.

PS3 were mostly all inferior last go around and yet a lot of people owned that console dispite this fact. It's not the be all end all. DF isn't leaving out facts, their just giving their opinion as well.

Then you recall wrong, I'm afraid. Things were pretty bad in the early days for PS3 owners. I still think the worst port of that generation is Splinter Cell Double Agent on PS3. Go look that up but, be warned, your eyes may not survive.

There was a year Madden ran at half the frame rate. Madden.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I can't believe DF is stooping to say this shit.

This is supposed to be a technical analysis. T.e.c.h.n.i.c.a.l.

They desperately need some good competition in this space because they have been slipping lately.

Calm down. They're effectively just reiterating that the Xbox One version is a solid port. Christ some of you get upset over some menial shit.

onanie

I don't think you're wrong.

Digital Foundry of Yore said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-face-off
There's clearly something amiss on the PS3 side though, and the cause is twofold: resolution and Treyarch's choice of anti-aliasing method. We find the game hitting the same 880x720 figures enjoyed on 360 in places, but this isn't a constant throughout the game. Rather, it appears to be more dynamic than first thought, where several tests of the first level's river scene gives us a reading as low as 832x624. Scaling these resolutions typically produces more pixel crawl on PS3 as a result, and looks a world away from the sharpness what we're seeing on 360, which remains locked at its own resolution.

Seriously, what is this? National "shit on Digital Foundry day" or what? You don't like them? Don't go on their threads or view their videos, and go use a different source; there's plenty others out there. Otherwise stop with the disrespect (especially as fellow Gaffers work at DF) and piss off.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Call of Duty as well. CoD3 was 30fps on PS3 but 60 on 360.

Stuff like The Darkness which was missing all of the post-fx on PS3 while running at a lower resolution and frame-rate, Bioshock 1 and 2 which were god awful on PS3, Bayonetta of course, and plenty of others.

Even later games could have issues. Mass Effect 3 is mostly 30fps with mild dips on 360 while it's basically 18-20fps on PS3 most of the time.

Call of Duty as well. CoD3 was 30fps on PS3 but 60 on 360.

Stuff like The Darkness which was missing all of the post-fx on PS3 while running at a lower resolution and frame-rate, Bioshock 1 and 2 which were god awful on PS3, Bayonetta of course, and plenty of others.

Even later games could have issues. Mass Effect 3 is mostly 30fps with mild dips on 360 while it's basically 18-20fps on PS3 most of the time.

even the wiiu version of of mass effect 3 was better than ps3 by quite a bit

HoodWinked

in retrospect its really incredible what sledgehammer games achieved for advanced warfare in such a short period of time.

Trey

A rote posting of numbers wouldn't make for a very interesting article to most people. The sentences surrounding said article give further context to each respective version of the game: how it runs, what tools the devs employed to achieve stability (or lack thereof), bugs, etc. If DF just posted the hard numbers, another outlet would editorialize it anyway. So as long as the facts are there, I don't see the problem.

I'm fascinated that this issue keeps coming up every time DF releases Face-Off results that clearly put PS4's version ahead of Xbox One's version. Everything is fine and dandy until DF offhandedly mentions that the Xbox One version is perfectly fine to play if that is the console you and your friends have.

"Shrug"...people are going to be people.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Colonel Nasty said:
Two years that Madden was 30fps on a "nexgen" console (360 was that way first year too) - but that's only half of the story. The reason "why" was the real gem with that one (it wasn't graphics related).

dark10x said:
Then you recall wrong, I'm afraid. Things were pretty bad in the early days for PS3 owners.
At least there was variety though, not just resolution switching - and PS3 games occasionally ran at higher resolutions too (up to double for a few, which has only happened in last 3 console gens to begin with). PS3 utilization was wildly uneven, but hard to argue it was more interesting to watch.

Gold_Loot

It think the problem I have is inconsistency within these face off articles. Last gen, if the 360 version was performing better at a higher resolution,that was it. Avoid the other verion unless you HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE! You never saw these little side quips like ( but not limited to ) -

"Well play where your friends are and its fine."

"Well, this network is known to be more stable so..."

"But this controller" ect.

Only recently have these matters started creeping up in these face offs. Why though? New writers maybe?

Aceofspades

Banned
It think the problem I have is inconsistency within these face off articles. Last gen, if the 360 version was performing better at a higher resolution,that was it. Avoid the other verion unless you HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE! You never saw these little side quips like ( but not limited to ) -

Only recently have these matters started creeping up in these face offs. Why though? New writers maybe?

Looking at that old DF article posted above, Im facinated by their wording. At that time 880x720 on 360 is worlds apart from mere 832x624 on PS3. Its amazing how they are trying to soften the differences between the two consoles these days.

jaypah

Read the thread, there are 2 examples of it happening last gen. I don't know how often it happened but it did. The real kicker is that its a problem now. I don't really remember people caring much back then.

Why would just stating "The PS4 is the clear better version between consoles", and leaving it at that, be a problem?

Strange since last gen they seemed to revel in 360 versions being superior to PS3 versions even when marginally so. This gen seems so strange with the PS4 are the forefront and these same sites having to downplay it. The quoted paragraph states how the One version frequently drops below its stated resolution but hey buy it because of friends. Last gen it was pretty much "buy a 360 and play the better version than the marginally weaker multiplatform title."

Ah well, seems to be a bitter pill for most sites on how the performance of the two systems flip flopped this gen. A bit sad that the apologetic stuff is still happening two years in.

SystemBug

Looking at that old DF article posted above, Im facinated by their wording. At that time 880x720 on 360 is worlds apart from mere 832x624 on PS3. Its amazing how they are trying to soften the differences between the two consoles these days.
Maybe they were more harsher last gen because the consoles were more similar in terms of power.

The One is a weaker machine. Everybody knows that. Bitching about it not hitting certain targets while being a weaker machine is just stupid.

jaypah

Strange since last gen they seemed to revel in 360 versions being superior to PS3 versions even when marginally so. This gen seems so strange with the PS4 are the forefront and these same sites having to downplay it. The quoted paragraph states how the One version frequently drops below its stated resolution but hey buy it because of friends. Last gen it was pretty much "buy a 360 and play the better version than the marginally weaker multiplatform title."

Ah well, seems to be a bitter pill for most sites on how the performance of the two systems flip flopped this gen. A bit sad that the apologetic stuff is still happening two years in.

But they did tell people to buy games for PS3 if you had friends on PSN. They would also call the 360 the better version. Just like now but with the roles reversed.

Rembrandt

Banned
I can't believe DF is stooping to say this shit.

This is supposed to be a technical analysis. T.e.c.h.n.i.c.a.l.

They desperately need some good competition in this space because they have been slipping lately.

why talk about marketing and PS4 getting DLC first if this is a t.e.c.h.i.c.a.l. analysis?

criticize it all and not one portion.

reading the motto for this site and then seeing people get upset over the dumbest shit is hilarious.

...and who are you to decide that? This situation isn't even really a matter of opinion so much as suggesting that the multiplayer portion of the game is fine on Xbox One since many people buy the game exclusively for MP.

People are losing there minds over petty stuff. I wouldn't even bother explaining if I were you

wachie

Mildly curious but were similar suggestions made for PS3 last gen?

TheShocker

Shrug. I chose the XB1 version over the PS4 version for friends and controller preference. It looks perfectly fine to me. And in that same token, I purchased Battlefront on my PS4 because of friends. It too, looks fantastic.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
As long as the facts are there, what is the issue with giving opinions? I don't get it.

Because Eurogamer, the parent website, is the place for opinions. DF was always about objective facts. They report the pixel count, frame rate and other relevant facts. If you start mixing in subjective nonsense you will loose credibility.

Kibbles

"Multiplayer is the saving grace for the game on both platforms. While resolution drops below the intended 900p on Xbox One, both consoles regularly achieve a slick 60fps experience with noticeable drops limited to explosive scenes. The PS4 version comes out ahead on the basis of providing a higher resolution, but the series' fast-paced twitch shooting still works well on Xbox One. In that respect the Sony platform has an overall advantage, but if you primarily play online, the Xbox One version is a solid choice if that's the platform where your friends are. Activision's marketing priorities have changed - and PS4 also has the advantage of getting DLC content ahead of other platforms."

lol
I end up buyin XO versions of games I'd rather buy for PS4 for this reason alone.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm fascinated that this issue keeps coming up every time DF releases Face-Off results that clearly put PS4's version ahead of Xbox One's version. Everything is fine and dandy until DF offhandedly mentions that the Xbox One version is perfectly fine to play if that is the console you and your friends have.

It's out of place for an unbiased technical review based on objective facts. It's like CNN telling you to vote for a candidate if your friends are. And they never do the reverse and tell you to abandon your friends to their blurry fate. So I'm not sure what the threshold is. It's best to leave that up to the reader.

People aren't losing their minds but it's a glaring flaw in an otherwise excellent writeup.

Dominator

I've been playing the game on both, and to be honest the Dualshock 4 is superior. Even though my sensitivity was at the same for both versions, the One stick movement felt slower than on PS4. It felt like I had to push more for movement.

Still enjoyable and I like playing on both, but if I had to choose it would be PS4.

Duxxy3

I have played it on PS4 and XB1 now and I have to say... I can not see a fucking thing in the XB1 version. Everything is just blurred into the background.

It's great that I can now play with my friends and family (because they have XB1's for some reason), but it's a pretty bad trade off.

It's out of place for an unbiased technical review based on objective facts. It's like CNN telling you to vote for a candidate if your friends are. And they never do the reverse and tell you to abandon your friends to their blurry fate. So I'm not sure what the threshold is. It's best to leave that up to the reader.

People aren't losing their minds but it's a glaring flaw in an otherwise excellent writeup.

Well, as someone else pointed out, this isn't the first time, or even the first generation of consoles, that Digital Foundry has added a final afterthought to some of their technical articles.

Yet every time it happens, it's a travesty. Like I said, it fascinates me.

Kssio_Aug

I think some are making the point that you already chose your console based on friends, so it has no basis since you are going to choose the game to play with your friends, regardless of performance. Like last gen with PS3 inferior ports.

My question is, who are these "friends" people have? And why do their friends always decide the system for them? Is there like a friend voting council where every generation they choose the console to buy? Or is nobody a leader of the pack?

;)

But friends doesnt decide anything to no one! I dont think you cant understand the situation, honestly.

If you have both consoles, XB1 and PS4, and for whatever reason most of your friends only have an XB1, and they are the ones who you usually play online with, why the hell would you buy that game for PS4 if, at the end of the day, theyre both totally solid and similar?? Why would you sacrifice the social aspect of the game, being able to play with your friends, to play with some random people without the same communication just for minor performance or visuals differences? That would be a totally unreasonable thing to do.

Seriously... Thats not hard to understand. Not at all!

If we were talking about a totally different situation where the XB1 version had serious performance issues and / or much worse visuals, than I could understand why you should get the PS4 version even if most of friends you play with only have an XB1. Thats not the case though.

Its not like people carry a "checklist of excuses" as sadly some people seems to believe. For some people, controller, user interface, functionality and available friends are subjective points wich people could clearly prefer over minor technical differences between both versions of the same title.

And by the way, for these people Digital Foundry or any other technical analysis can still be totally relevant, so you could analyse how much worse one version is against another before deciding between those subjective points I stated. Or even just to decide if he should buy the game at all or not.

derExperte

yes really

glad their being called out on this

their job is to be as neutral towards both consoles, if they wish to be taken seriously

friends my ass

By all means complain if you feel that half a sentence invalidates everything else and ruins your day but that still can be done without insults. Though going by the quoted dude's history maybe I'm asking too much in this case.

Because Eurogamer, the parent website, is the place for opinions. DF was always about objective facts. They report the pixel count, frame rate and other relevant facts. If you start mixing in subjective nonsense you will loose credibility.

It feels like DF has been losing credibility on GAF since they started, there's always something. And every of their verdicts entails subjective comments about if and how much technical shortcomings might influence your enjoyment. Usually in the context of other versions but even when it comes to exclusives, like I read the Until Dawn analysis recently after playing the game and disagreed about the framerate drops. But all the facts were there too so all was good.

For shits and giggles, I went back to their Modern Warfare 2 faceoff from 6 years ago (I assume, back when they had credibility?)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-modern-warfare-2-face-off?page=3

At the end of the day, in terms of the buying decision, the sheer importance of the game's multiplayer component is such that it's your choice of friends list that is going to determine which version of Modern Warfare 2 you buy. While the PS3 version has had some early glitches, bugs and party issues, it's also readily apparent that Infinity Ward is continually working to make sure the game works as it should.

However, for those that haven't made up their minds, it's fairly easy to say that while both renditions of the game are well worthy of the Eurogamer 9/10 score, the Xbox 360's marginally superior visuals and significantly smoother performance gives it an undoubted edge over the PlayStation 3 game, and this translates directly into a tangibly better gameplay experience.

Seems like Digital Foundry has been playing us like a damn fiddle! What, with their giving an opinion on what might be a better purchase for an individual consumer looking to choose between two versions of the same game.

Tagyhag

Well all in all it at least sounds like a good port on all 3 systems, and with no parity to boot.

Next year we'll see if Infinity Ward has learned a thing or two. They sure have had the tables turned on them.

samn

Is it DF's job to tell you how to feel? Why can't they just give the numbers and leave the editorializing out?

They don't 'tell me how to feel'. They give advice and guidance that their readers may find useful.

Why can't they... well they can, but they feel it's helpful to some to add editorial, while not harmful to others who are only interested in the numbers.

Javin98

Banned
So, if anyone is actually interested in the tech side of things, anyone knows how this game performs on the i3/750 Ti combo at comparable settings to the PS4? The article seemed to imply that budget PC's can't keep up very well.

Renekton

So, if anyone is actually interested in the tech side of things, anyone knows how this game performs on the i3/750 Ti combo at comparable settings to the PS4? The article seemed to imply that budget PC's can't keep up very well.
BO3 is not running optimally on PCs in general, not just this config. May need a patch or two.

I can't stand the X1 controller. I use my DS4 on X1 with CronusMAX because the X1 controller is pure trash, in my opinion.

I don't like the stick placement on the X1 controller, but love the overall design because it fit my hands. DS4 is just to small to enjoy, it looks nice but a nightmare for my hands. WiiU pro controller is nearly perfect.

Later this month I'll be gaming on a PS4, so pray for my hands.

Javin98

Banned
BO3 is not running optimally on PCs in general, not just this config. May need a patch or two.
I was in the PC performance thread when this game launched and I did see many complaints about it being poorly optimized for PC's, but I'm just wondering how that infamous combo fares against the PS4 version. Strange how it didn't get mentioned at all in this article or others regarding Black Ops 3. DF usually includes it in multiplatform games.

Top Bottom