• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] COD Black Ops Cold War: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Ray Tracing, 120Hz Mode Tests + Series S Analysis!

K.N.W.

Holy cow! I've just noticed that some of those muzzle flashes seem to be absent in the 120hz mode on Xbox Series X. Here is a screenshot highlighting such difference (n the enemy in the distance), you can see it in the Digital Foundry comparison video @13:00 (watch at 0.25x speed).

Zfw1ptB.jpg

Last edited:
Seriously, I think your're losing time with such details... When playing, I really think it is clearly not visible, but more, with all the bugs with this game on each plateforme, if it is really missing, it should be impossible to say if it's removed voluntarily or just.... a bug...

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Holy cow! I've just noticed that some of those muzzle flashes seem to be absent in the 120hz mode on Xbox Series X. Here is a screenshot highlighting such difference (n the enemy in the distance), you can see it in the Digital Foundry comparison video @13:00 (watch at 0.25x speed).

Yup. I went frame-by-frame and noticed two things:

1. In the XSX version, there is no muzzle-flash.
2. Because there is no muzzle-flash, there is no light. In the PS5 version, it illuminates the bricks on the right side of the enemy.

Here is the XSX version at the exact time the weapon is discharged.

ojlIg2d.jpg

And here is the PS5 version:

TWNPu4v.jpg

Yup. I went frame-by-frame and noticed two things:

1. In the XSX version, there is no muzzle-flash.
2. Because there is no muzzle-flash, there is no light. In the PS5 version, it illuminates the bricks on the right side of the enemy.

Here is the XSX version at the exact time the weapon is discharged.

ojlIg2d.jpg

And here is the PS5 version:

TWNPu4v.jpg
yep, on XSX in order to get near the performance level of PS5 they clearly had to remove or reduce a few effects that are almost always visible: the flash and the smoke coming out from the guns. A similar performance bottleneck can be seen in AC Valhalla where the framerate drops severaly on XSX when you use a torch (alpha + dynamic lighting).

DF refuse to acknowledge the graphical difference in COD even if plenty of people already showed them the pics. For them both games have identical effects. I think they use the bugs narrative when people ask them about it. Because their editorial stance about COD is that both versions are virtually identical so they must distort the reality a bit for that. Don't worry, it's a normal journalistic practice.

Last edited:
AS I said above, how can you be sure that's something removed voluntarily and not a bug? With so many bugs with this game, you need to "care" a little before taking such conclusion ;)

Handy Fake

yep, on XSX in order to get near the performance level of PS5 they clearly had to remove or reduce a few effects that are almost always visible: the flash and the smoke coming out from the guns. A similar performance bottleneck can be seen in AC Valhalla where the framerate drops severaly on XSX when you use a torch (alpha + dynamic lighting).

DF refuse to acknowledge the graphical difference in COD even if plenty of people already showed them the pics. For them both games have identical effects. I think they use the bugs narrative when people ask them about it. Because their editorial stance about COD is that both versions are virtually identical so they must distort the reality a bit for that. Don't worry, it's a normal journalistic practice.
I'd probably wait at this point. The game seems a bit fucked.;)

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
pc gamers are just dealing with cheaters on every single online game,as a pc gamer myself no thanks,also "sony ponies" ? wtf u used that term outside of primary school?
giphy.gif

I don't even care enough to argue this bullshit anymore. Yup. You right, PC online gaming is nothing but dirty cheaters. All the time. Been so glad that there's no cheaters ever on consoles.

anothertech

Wow. That's somthing. Dam.

I did notice this, but I didn't want to stir shit up again so I didn't point it out on this forum. You're correct, though. The similarities are uncanny -- from that light flickering issue to the grass debacle to that tessellation problem. Everything is identical in the PS4 Pro and XSX.
so not only are Xbox have less details, but they are probably using last gen assets and rt is bricking consoles?

This is straight up loss for xbox, sorry guys.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Ya I mean this does come off that the Xbox version was not the priority.

Good grief.
Spread to thin. Even PS5 version has bugs, and they are in bed with Sony.

Killing last gen can’t come soon enough. Series S unfortunately will remain being a 3rd wheel.

assurdum

Banned
Anyway this DF analysis is really, really rushed and missed a lot of issues in the game. If I was them, I wouldn't have released it in this state. Again I haven't any kind of simpathy for Dictator but big prize to him for his job on Valhalla. He didn't missed anything, it takes a lot time but this is how a tech should be done and not that disaster showed in the COD face off, heck they have reported FPS issue on ps5 as GPU limits, that's inexcusable.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

Screen of the texture differences? This thread has a lot of them.

Just two posts before mine.

hcqSNuu.jpg
this is FUD, and whoever video its from... they are not credible anymore

here is a lets play of the scene, it looks exactly the same as Series X one:

this is why DF is the best, they dont have bias, they would have spotted this too if it was real

Last edited:

Shmunter

this is why DF is the best, they dont have bias, they would have spotted this too if it was real

Sorry, this shows the denser grass on PS5. XsX is a match for last gen versions in asset density - at least in this scene.

The footage is there from e.g PS4 pro should you care to look it up, it’s identical to XsX with the lower foliage count.

ethomaz

Banned

This shows the same differences as DF video lol
I'm not sure who is trying to spread FUD :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom