• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Dead Space Remake - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S - Current-Gen Graphics and Performance Analysis

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Apologies for the lateness of this one: owing to continual changes in the console code, this is actually the third time we've worked on this project. So, in the follow-up to our initial DF tech review, Oliver Mackenzie provides the current-gen console platform comparisons: PS5, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. Which is the best system to play the game on right now, what cutbacks can you expect on Series S and what's the score with the contentious VRS system used in the game in the wake of the latest patches?

00:00 Overview
01:08 Image quality and patch comparisons
06:14 Visual settings and ray tracing
07:42 Performance
11:21 Analysis and conclusion

Last edited:

adamsapple

Text article:

- Pre-patch, PS5 version suffered the most from edge-aliasing related to VRS
- Post-patch, all versions have VRS stripped out.
- Game utilizes FSR 2.1.2 on console
- Pixel counts and FSR resolve at bottom.
- Aside from resolution, little to nothing divides Series S from PS5|SX
- RT mode uses RTAO on PS5|SX for better shading

- Series S only has a 30 FPS mode, pre-patch it ran with unlocked and could go between 40 and 60. But now it's a nearly-locked 30
- On SX|PS5, the 30 FPS Quality modes are just about 100% locked.
- In Performance mode both can suffer one-off drops, PS5's drops tend to be more prolonged but both snap back to 60 quick afterward.

- The VRS removal patch does not seem to have made any notable impact on performance.

Native Resolution > FSR Output:

Pixel countFSR 2 output resolution
Series S900p1440p
PS5 (performance)936p1440p
Series X (performance)972p1440p
PS5 (quality)1296p2160p
Series X (quality)1296p2160p

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Very linear and short game which is mostly corridors, hardly any enemies or NPCs on screen, simple gameplay mechanics, it seems a bit technically disappoitning for a current gen only game wouldn't you say?

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Looks like you can't go wrong either way post patch. On pc its been a treat. Just finished Callisto right before this and I overall prefer the look of this one.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This is only the beginning , wait until all engines use mesh shaders , all the RDNA 2 features , SFS , those extra CU’s will showcase at least a 10 - 15 % difference.

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

GametimeUK

Looks like you can't go wrong with either console. The difference in visuals and performance is so small you could easily justify buying this on PS5 if you prefer the eco system or maybe dualsense features (if it has any).

For me though the Xbox version is what I would go with. It simply looks and performs better and that's the main thing for me personally. Then again you'd expect it to perform better than PS5 considering the specs of the console.

It's good to see both consoles got a great version. Just avoid that stuttering mess of a PC version.

Last edited:
Looks like you can't go wrong with either console. The difference in visuals and performance is so small you could easily justify buying this on PS5 if you prefer the eco system or maybe dualsense features (if it has any).

For me though the Xbox version is what I would go with. It simply looks and performs better and that's the main thing for me personally. Then again you'd expect it to perform better than PS5 considering the specs of the console.

It's good to see both consoles got a great version. Just avoid that stuttering mess of a PC version.

Ya no one is getting screwed with either version. The two are so close that you wouldn't be an idiot for choosing the PS5 version for the dualsense support.

It's kind of messed up how VRS messed the IQ so badly before.

Mr Moose

I know and a resolution advantage.
Not in this games case.

PS5 and Xbox Series X in quality mode (performance mode disabled) use a dynamic resolution with the highest rendering resolution found being 2259x1270 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2204x1240. PS5 and Xbox Series X seem to often render at 2259x1270 in quality mode. PS5 and Xbox Series X in quality mode use FSR 2 to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution.

PS5 and Xbox Series X in performance mode use a dynamic resolution with the highest rendering resolution found being 1706x960 and the lowest resolution found being 1422x800. PS5 and Xbox Series X seem to often render at 1706x960 in performance mode. PS5 and Xbox Series X in performance mode use FSR 2 to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution.

GametimeUK

972p.... great version...

Where stuttering mess?

Can I ask what being 972p has to do with anything? It's like me saying a PC version of a game is bad if it's using DLSS.

And can you seriously not see the stutters when transitioning from area to area in that gameplay? I went to various parts of that video and saw numerous stutters that aren't there on the console version. It's too frequent.

Also I have the game on PC and seen it first hand. You deny stutter in every PC release so either you aren't sensitive to it or in flat out denial.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Can I ask what being 972p has to do with anything? It's like me saying a PC version of a game is bad if it's using DLSS.

And can you seriously not see the stutters when transitioning from area to area in that gameplay? I went to various parts of that video and saw numerous stutters that aren't there on the console version. It's too frequent.

Also I have the game on PC and seen it first hand. You deny stutter in every PC release so either you aren't sensitive to it or in flat out denial.
DLSS is an option on pc, not forced. And by far the best reconstrution out there.
I can see the insignificant stutters in a few areas. Looks like you don't know what "mess" means.
I only denied stutters in Stray because I played in default DX11 renderer , but you seems to believe because of that discussion that I deny in every game.

Last edited:

omegasc

So what’s the deal with VRS, garbage tech or garbage implementation or both?
looks like it does not mix well with supersampling techs for some reason. Maybe uses the low render res before they are upscaled and make it even lower. Like... compressing an already heavily compressed jpeg.

The muddy textures on Xbox that I saw was down to their VRS implementation. It made textures look like low AF from back in the day. On PS5 it was causing jagged edges and a pixel crawl mess.

Glad it's been removed as it was effecting PS5 and Series X in odd ways that detract from the image significantly and offer no real performance.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

DLSS is an option on pc, not forced. And by far the best reconstrution out there.
I can see the insignificant stutters in a few areas. Looks like you don't know what "mess" means.
I only denied stutters in Stray because I played in default DX11 renderer , but you seems to believe because of that discussion that I deny in every game.

Njgq4TE.jpg

There is you denying any stutter during gameplay.

fRybEtl.jpg

There is you saying you REFUNDED the game. Bare in mind this is posted on the 2nd of Nov.

qctIGLU.jpg

Here is you saying I love to talk shit. You say you only denied the stutter because the version had been fixed. Bare in mind you already REFUNDED the game on the 2nd of November and the patch that FIXED the game wasn't even released until the 9th so you couldn't have been playing the fixed version at the time of our original discussion.

By the way thank you for bringing the fix to my attention I have it on PC now its great, but you're clearly one to gloss over issues to defend your preferred platform of choice.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Njgq4TE.jpg

There is you denying any stutter during gameplay.

fRybEtl.jpg

There is you saying you REFUNDED the game. Bare in mind this is posted on the 2nd of Nov.

qctIGLU.jpg

Here is you saying I love to talk shit. You say you only denied the stutter because you played the FIXED version. Bare in mind you already REFUNDED the game on the 2nd of November and the patch that FIXED the game wasn't even released until the 9th so you couldn't have been playing the fixed version at the time of our original discussion.

By the way thank you for bringing the fix to my attention I have it on PC now its great, but you're clearly one to gloss over issues to defend your preferred platform of choice.
In what dimension stutters in cutscenes on Sackboy = denying stutters? I didn't play the post patch version of Sackboy. Are you dreaming? The massive stutters on cutscenes were all there.
I don't need to defend any platform of choice, first because shader stutters is a development problem, not a pc problem and second because I don't have to choose 1 platform as I can have more than 1.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

In what dimension stutters in cutscenes on Sackboy = denying stutters?
Because its denying the game had shader compilation stutter which as you should know also generates a stutter DURING GAMEPLAY too every time something new is shown for the first time.

But you even say in your own words "I deny indeed as it was fixed".

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
xbox pips it to be the console version to go with but honestly they are so close and within vrr range youre laughing with either.

Yeah, both versions are very comparable experiences. I don't know why so many people need to be triggered by the idea of Series X being a tad better on this one. PS5 has had the advantage in other games. It's not a big deal either way.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Because its denying the game had shader compilation stutter which as you should know also generates a stutter DURING GAMEPLAY too every time something new is shown for the first time.

But you even say in your own words "I deny indeed as it was fixed".
So insignificant that I didn't noticed or missed in Sackboy gameplay, just like how it is with Cemu post async compilation...

Do you see me denying the massive stutters on Gothan Knights that are still there until today? That is a close to a mess...

Last edited:

adamsapple

Started playing this weekend on SX. Looked good on performance mode

The performance mode is the very easy recommendation here unlike Callisto. The RTAO is nice but it's not a notable visual difference unless you're specifically looking at side by sides.'

The performance uptick is well worthwhile.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
The performance mode is the very easy recommendation here unlike Callisto. The RTAO is nice but it's not a notable visual difference unless you're specifically looking at side by sides.'

The performance uptick is well worthwhile.

Dont you remember I hate quality mode?!

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
As Oliver points out late in his video, traversal stutter afflicts all console versions too. No idea if it's worse on PC or not.
But of course "his mess" is only when it's on "others platform of choise"...

Last edited:

MikeM

Series X performance mode renders at a slightly higher resolution and keeps a slightly steadier 60fps than the PS5 version.

Sounds like that's the platform/mode to go for.
If you don’t care for Dualsense, agreed. The differences between both platform’s are negligible.
This is only the beginning , wait until all engines use mesh shaders , all the RDNA 2 features , SFS , those extra CU’s will showcase at least a 10 - 15 % difference.
Lol

GametimeUK

As Oliver points out late in his video, traversal stutter afflicts all console versions too. No idea if it's worse on PC or not.
Ah thank you for pointing out. I must have missed that part of the video. I've only played on PC to comment first hand and it's quite prevalent on my PC at least (and my PC is no slouch). I guess we'll see when the PC video drops, but from my observation PC has more stutter than console.

Top Bottom