• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Deathloop on PC/PS5 is not pushing technical boundries, and that's OK.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Youre not even trying.
Y9P9f4O.gif

Could you atleast try to make this interesting.
c79EmVM.gif
I am sorry. Are you saying this character model looks next gen?

KZ3 2011 - 0.25 tflops

7mntONj.jpg

1679677-killzone3_huh.gif

Uncharted 3 - 2011 - .25 tflops
uc3-main-2.jpg

Uncharted 2- 2009

picgifs-uncharted-2-3392422.gif

This is what Last gen character models look like: 1.8 tflops

a7637e03c9930926ecb0ee784ab2573a.gif

the-last-of-us2-ellie-and-dina.gif

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Technically speaking, not at all impressed by this game. Just smooth, that's it.

Did digital foundry mention any issues like this:

Oh my FUCKING GOD!!!

Would you look at that?! What in the actual fuck is that?!!?

A fli- I need a moment here excuse m- *dry heaves*

A flick... *hurls*

A... A.... A... FLICKERING texture????????????????????????????

Absolutely DISGUSTING and I'll be getting a refund immediately! That sort of stuff just makes AAA experiences literally unplayable. Ugh. Arkane should be ashamed for putting that garbage on the market. SICKENING!!!

Last edited:

Three

DF are rarely consistent except John. It comes down to a conflict of interest. Deathloop is a popular game and it is well received. You want to cover the new popular game. Do you spend the article shitting on the game because graphically it's not amazing and doesn't get consistent performance on high end PCs or do you not really go into that to pander to the general concensus of a good game that doesn't concentrate on graphics and performance.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

KZ3 2011 - 0.25 tflops

7mntONj.jpg

uc3-main-2.jpg

GoW3 -2010

I see you read way too much into everything.
Which is why we even have this thread.

The post I quoted is total shit so i decided to counter it with gifs from the very game you are critiquing.

But again does every game need to be bleeding edge and why cant DF say they dont think a game is bleeding edge and that isnt the end of the world?

Im not sure what the thread is actually for?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When the first trailer came out there's no way this game pushes next gen in any way. I'm more surprised the tech analysis shows this game cant even do 4k/60. There was some article somewhere where Arkane said Deathloop could only be done on next gen systems. lol

ManaByte

Gold Member

KZ3 2011 - 0.25 tflops

7mntONj.jpg

uc3-main-2.jpg

Uncharted 2- 2009

Serious question, do you actually own a PS5? There are areas of Deathloop, with the right time of day lighting (like morning) that look almost as good as Unreal Engine 5. I'm really impressed with it.

VN1X

Banned

KZ3 2011 - 0.25 tflops

7mntONj.jpg

uc3-main-2.jpg

Uncharted 2- 2009

Do I really need to explain to the ND avatar guy that they have 2 methods of doing their cutscenes? One being completely in-engine with gameplay models & animations (lower quality) and the others pre-rendered, albeit with in-game assets but at a much higher fidelity that would otherwise be impossible for the hardware to keep up with in a real-time setting?

Those last two gifs are a perfect example of pre-rendered cutscenes that shouldn't be compared to well... anything actually gameplay related.

EDIT: Fyi I love the work Naughty Dog have put out and all their games look absolutely fantastic. Your examples are disingenuous though.

Last edited:
Technically, is it impressive? Nope. Is it's Art Direction and Style impressive? Yup!

A game doesn't have to be technically impressive for it to be visually impressive. I think you guys equate a lot of value with technical impressiveness. I will always take Art Direction over Technical prowess. Tech gets surpassed all the time, bigger poly counts, better lighting, better textures, shadows, etc... Art Direction is timeless: Okami, TLOZ Wind Waker, Ori among many others will likely look good forever.

Last edited:

rushgore

KZ3 2011 - 0.25 tflops

7mntONj.jpg

uc3-main-2.jpg

Uncharted 2- 2009

you know there is something called "art direction", right? the images you provided are from games with realistic visual approaches, which are far from deathloop's artstyle.

GHG

I wasn't expecting next gen graphics for this game. I bought it because I thought it would be a roguelike I could finally get into. I think I would like Returnal as well but I don't have a PS5 yet. Not that this is a consolation prize or anything...I'm interested in both.

Graphically I would say it looks better than Dishonored 2...but then again I played Dishonored 2 on Xbox One X...I'm playing Deathloop on PC. The artstyle is a bit weird though in some choices Arkane has made. Like...why do all the enemies wear these Phantom of the Opera masks? Was this a conscious choice that fits with the narrative of the story? Or was it to save time on creating unique faces for the character models. There were definitely some re-used faces and body types for Dishonored 2 so maybe they just said screw it. I dunno, just speculating right now.

Apparently everything gets explained the more you play.

Portugeezer

DF just need to bite the bullet and do game reviews or even just more in depth game impressions.

I don't mind them wanting to do it - and they do want to which is why they throw in their opinions in the tech analysis - but I agree it's a bit out of place in a tech analysis video and DF weekly sometimes is not enough.

Tschumi

The first and the last sentences have absolutely no place in a technical review of the game. I can understand Gamespot or IGN giving it a pass for last gen graphics, but DF's only job is to critique visuals.
(...)
Absolutely insane.
U said it not me...

Far be it from them to have an opinion beyond dry pixel counting. Egads the fuckin' temerity.

What the hell are you thinking getting triggered by stuff they said? What is it to you?

I can't believe you'd be so triggered by a few positive words on a game that you'd make a thread about it.

They're making the point, welcome and justified and wholly truthful, that not every next-gen game needs to be a technical supernova. I dunno man I think you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, like, the wrong continent to the bed this morning.

EDIT: Also I don't think it needs to be said that they have given extra-technical opinions on dozens, scores of games over the years, recently Returnal from memory, er but it's this one that exercises you... I'm trying to pin down your trigger but I know little of your fandom status, but for whatever reason you're wayyy unduly triggered.

OP be like:

onemanarmy.gif

Last edited:

SlimySnake

U said it not me...

Far be it from them to have an opinion beyond dry pixel counting. Egads the fuckin' temerity.

What the hell are you thinking getting triggered by stuff they said? What is it to you?

I can't believe you'd be so triggered by a few positive words on a game that you'd make a thread about it.

They're making the point, welcome and justified and wholly truthful, that not every next-gen game needs to be a technical supernova. I dunno man I think you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, like, the wrong continent to the bed this morning.

EDIT: Also I don't think it needs to be said that they have given extra-technical opinions on dozens, scores of games over the years, recently Returnal from memory, er but it's this one that exercises you... I'm trying to pin down your trigger but I know little of your fandom status, but for whatever reason you're wayyy unduly triggered.
And you wrote that diatribe instead of the discussing the topic because?

SlimySnake

nah, all i see is him accusing me of being triggered by this. one of the most useless most ive read on here. he couldve said nothing and it wouldve been of more value.

Because comparing a game going for gritty realism and a game going for an aesthetic is an apt comparison. 😂
lol more excuses.

Last edited:
nah, all i see is him accusing me of being triggered by this. one of the most useless most ive read on here. he couldve said nothing and it wouldve been of more value.

lol more excuses.
Nah youre comparison is flawed as fuck. Compare it with Doom Eternal then you have a point. As it stands, art style can carry a game beyond technical prowess. You betcha I'll pick Deathloop 10/10 times over that korean Bayonetta knockoff.

Tschumi

Read it again lol, i mean really, i absolutely purpose a counter interpretation

Edit: i don't hate you lol but this is just wack and i think it deserved a reality check

Last edited:
Technically speaking, not at all impressed by this game. Just smooth, that's it.

Did digital foundry mention any issues like this:

Digital foundry doesn’t mention anything anymore. They talk about resolution and frame rate now and that’s it. They used to point out things like AF, pop in, lod, SSAO and such but they’ve gotten so lazy lately. It’s sad.

Seems a lot missed the OP take lol

He is not criticizing the game.
He is saying it sound weird a focused in visual quality team to think it is ok not to push visual quality.

DF is a technical reviewer and not game reviewer.

They should focus in that aspect of the game no matter how good or bad the game is… so they should criticize games that doesn’t push technical boundaries.
With all due respect, that is bull fucking shit.

Developers have different artistic visions for their games. For this game the gunplay and performance may have taken precedence over visual fidelity or fancy graphical features. This may have also been affected by budget. Not all developers have bottomless pits of cash to bring in the best guys in the industry for cutting edge or innovative rendering techniques.

IMO DF job is to analyze the game in front of them and inform the viewing audience on what techniques is used to achieve the current vision and how it improves or hampers the overall look of the game.

Again, not every game is meant to be a technical tour de force and nor should every developer aim for such lofty goals because it costs a lot of time and a lot of money and not everyone can afford either of them.

I love how they didn’t mention how RT SSAO is extremely grainy when you roll your weapon over it and how when you walk under a shadow, the lighting on your character doesn’t blink on or off but it’s more of a smooth transition.

DF did its job. Their job is technical analysis which is to comment on the technology behind the game, measure and evaluate key technical criteria (frame rate, frame pacing, resolution) and to point out any deficiencies (frame drops, stutter etc). The conclusion: it's ok.

They can, as anyone can, also give a subjective opinion on how good it "looks". What makes a game look good, like any art, differs widely from person to person. Some people dig realistic graphics, some like artistic. So, what Alex said is technically the game is just ok (backed by measurable factual data), but it looks good artistically (that's his subjective opinion).

That's their job. I don't know what the OP expects them to do. DF is not a gaming regulatory body who passes a ruling on technical requirements lol.

Also for people who point out random bugs and say "DF did not mention this": DF is also NOT the QA team. They aren't supposed to go through the entire game multiple times to find all the random bugs. If they spot a widespread issue, or gets alerted to a widespread issue their job is to evaluate that and give an opinion. Like the frame pacing issue here.

DF did its job. Their job is technical analysis which is to comment on the technology behind the game, measure and evaluate key technical criteria (frame rate, frame pacing, resolution) and to point out any deficiencies (frame drops, stutter etc). The conclusion: it's ok.

They can, as anyone can, also give a subjective opinion on how good it "looks". What makes a game look good, like any art, differs widely from person to person. Some people dig realistic graphics, some like artistic. So, what Alex said is technically the game is just ok (backed by measurable factual data), but it looks good artistically (that's his subjective opinion).

That's their job. I don't know what the OP expects them to do. DF is not a gaming regulatory body who passes a ruling on technical requirements lol.

Also for people who point out random bugs and say "DF did not mention this": DF is also NOT the QA team. They aren't supposed to go through the entire game multiple times to find all the random bugs. If they spot a widespread issue, or gets alerted to a widespread issue their job is to evaluate that and give an opinion. Like the frame pacing issue here.
This. Great post. You said it better than I did.

No game should be criticized by DF for not pushing the boundaries in graphics rendering. They're not a ruling body in that sphere. In the end it all comes down to art direction by the developer.

Last edited:
I guess since we are into a new generation where graphics and power are a big focus, people are going to be more critical and expecting more out of visuals on their $500 machines. Look how people chastised GOW:Ragnarok and GT7 for looking like glorified PS4 games for example. I think they both look better than Deathloop, but not every game imo needs to look photo-realistic.

SlimySnake

Read it again lol, i mean really, i absolutely purpose a counter interpretation

Edit: i don't hate you lol but this is just wack and i think it deserved a reality check
I did read it again and the only real argument I found in that 10 sentence post was this:
They're making the point, welcome and justified and wholly truthful, that not every next-gen game needs to be a technical supernova.

If you read my posts in the thread, you'd see I have already covered this. They are not in any position to say which game NEEDS to be a technical showpiece and which game gets a pass. This same guy made an entire video on Halo Infinite's demo last year listing a million ways to make it look better. Why? Why is it NOT ok for Halo Infinite to not push boundries? Both Halo and Deathloop are big AAA exclusives for their respective consoles this holiday season so why is it that one game gets a pass?

They are treating this game as if this is an indie game. Nah, this game along with any other game retailing for full price needs to be judged by the same standards as Halo, Ratchet, Horizon, GoW and whatever other game that might come next year. Redfall looks like dog shit in the beta. Also from Arkhane. Everyone rightfully criticized it. What if the final game looks like that. Why should Alex give that game a pass?

SlimySnake

Nah youre comparison is flawed as fuck. Compare it with Doom Eternal then you have a point. As it stands, art style can carry a game beyond technical prowess. You betcha I'll pick Deathloop 10/10 times over that korean Bayonetta knockoff.
Nonsense. The best looking next gen game out right now has a cartoony non-photorealistic art style and it looks a generation ahead of Deathloop, other last gen games and two gens ahead of those KZ2 gifs and Ratchet's own PS3 games. Art style has nothing to do with the technical boundries DF is willing to let slide in Deathloop's case for some bizarre reason.

E7G0BbgXEAQpcgw

E4YYQPmWEAI9MdB

Even Uncharted was very stylized compared to TLOU which was aiming for photorealism. Didnt stop ND from making Uncharted a technical powerhouse.

hlm666

Thought this part of their Deathloop technical analysis needed its own thread simply because of how ridiculous it sounds.

This is a technical analysis of a game by a publication that only does technical analysis.

Full Quote:

The first and the last sentences have absolutely no place in a technical review of the game. I can understand Gamespot or IGN giving it a pass for last gen graphics, but DF's only job is to critique visuals. If they dont do it, no one else will. And they feel it's OK to do the bare minimum for a game selling for a $70 next gen price tag.

As we look ahead to an unprecedented 2nd year of cross gen games this year, it's important to have game journalists hold these studios to a higher standard and critique sub standard looking games. Alex is the writer of this piece, and he had no issues criticizing a studio for what he considers to be decade old character design. Well, this game looks literally a decade old and he seems to have NO issues with it.

Absolutely insane.
Where do you draw the line, If GT7 comes out and doesn't support hydrolic motion cockpits and full customisation of 1000 dollar fanatic steering wheels does it mean it should be classified an arcade racer and no sim sites should review it? I think dictator has a pc tech video for deathloop coming where he might be comparing it to the ps5 (apparently they can get ps5 settings match on pc) so when he focuses on RT mode with a 2060 matching a ps5 I look forward to your next thread, the sequel to the war with grandpa "the war with dictator" lol

Tschumi

I did read it again and the only real argument I found in that 10 sentence post was this:

If you read my posts in the thread, you'd see I have already covered this. They are not in any position to say which game NEEDS to be a technical showpiece and which game gets a pass. This same guy made an entire video on Halo Infinite's demo last year listing a million ways to make it look better. Why? Why is it NOT ok for Halo Infinite to not push boundries? Both Halo and Deathloop are big AAA exclusives for their respective consoles this holiday season so why is it that one game gets a pass?

They are treating this game as if this is an indie game. Nah, this game along with any other game retailing for full price needs to be judged by the same standards as Halo, Ratchet, Horizon, GoW and whatever other game that might come next year. Redfall looks like dog shit in the beta. Also from Arkhane. Everyone rightfully criticized it. What if the final game looks like that. Why should Alex give that game a pass?
A) Why is this the video that promoted you to criticise something that they've done many times before?

B) Is comparing a reaction to an unfinished Alpha build of Halo to a release title of entirely different stylistic intention valid? Be honest.

C) Is forbidding DF from expressing subjective opinion really your business, or worth doing?

D) Do you think you might have a secondary trigger somewhere in this equation that's lighting a fire under your butt?

E) paraphrasing my recent thread: Does your innermost self actually care about graphics as much as you rage about them?

F) Bonus question: Are you confiscating all existence licences for games that call for equivocation on graphics that are beautiful but not envelope-pushers?

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Its sad to see gamers these days focusing on " Wow graphics " rather than the actual gameplay and story, I mean I get that you got a PS5 and wanted " realism " but you won't get that any time sooner. Be rational about it and except that the only thing matters is gameplay if its fun then the game is fun. We have TO1886, its the best example for ya.

Robb

Gold Member
I'm not sure if I understand your issue. You say their job is to talk about the visuals, they say the visuals look great because of the artsyle.

Black_Stride

I'm not sure if I understand your issue. You say their job is to talk about the visuals, they say the visuals look great because of the artsyle.
The issue is im an entitled little bitch who not only gets to decide what games should be on PS5/XSX but also I decide how Digital Foundry talks about the games they talk about.

SlimySnake

Where do you draw the line, If GT7 comes out and doesn't support hydrolic motion cockpits and full customisation of 1000 dollar fanatic steering wheels does it mean it should be classified an arcade racer and no sim sites should review it? I think dictator has a pc tech video for deathloop coming where he might be comparing it to the ps5 (apparently they can get ps5 settings match on pc) so when he focuses on RT mode with a 2060 matching a ps5 I look forward to your next thread, the sequel to the war with grandpa "the war with dictator" lol
GT7 is actually a great example. Forza Horizon 5 seems to be pushing environmental detail in a level never before seen in a video game. While being cross gen like GT7. While being open world which is far more taxing to do than closed loop racing circuits.

So should Alex give GT7 a pass for its last gen environments? Would he say it is OK for GT7 to not push technical boundries? Would it be fair to Horizon then? GT7 still looks great for a racer. Its still got great lighting and a great artstyle. But clearly the game is severely lacking in environmental detail even compared to Driveclub. Why should Playground Games even bother if the same standards are not being applied to every game.

IMG_20210910_120356.jpg

W5nGjeS.jpg

F2Fv2be.jpg

vWONmoz.jpg

Another example is Horizon Forbidden west and God of War Ragnorak. Gow will come out months after Horizon. It should be compared to Horizon, but what if Alex says the art style is good enough and it is OK for god of war to not push boundries? It would make zero sense.

ZywyPL

Banned
Of course it's OK, not every games has to chase realism, hell, the less try to the better IMO. There is RT tho, and not for reflections but AO, so it actually does something that most games out there don't.

SlimySnake

Its sad to see gamers these days focusing on " Wow graphics " rather than the actual gameplay and story, I mean I get that you got a PS5 and wanted " realism " but you won't get that any time sooner. Be rational about it and except that the only thing matters is gameplay if its fun then the game is fun. We have TO1886, its the best example for ya.
This shouldnt be this hard to understand. DF is not reviewing games like other critics. Their job is NOT to review the gameplay. Their only job is to review the technical details. Giving the technical aspects of the game a pass is like gamespot giving a game a pass for bad gameplay because the graphics are great.

Black_Stride

This shouldnt be this hard to understand. DF is not reviewing games like other critics. Their job is NOT to review the gameplay. Their only job is to review the technical details. Giving the technical aspects of the game a pass is like gamespot giving a game a pass for bad gameplay because the graphics are great.
Why are you not only dictating what games should be on PS5/XSX but also dictating how DF run their channel or website.

Who the fuck are you?

If they want to do videos on nothing but music they can, they started doing retro runs and thats fine, they started doing DF Directs and thats fine.
They review GPUs and thats fine....its their channel they can do whatever the fuck they want.
What entitles you to dictate what comes out on PS5/XSX or how DF runs their shit?

Do you see why this is a stupid thread?
You are nobody and have no right to dictate any of the things you are dictating to happen, so why bother?

SlimySnake

A) Why is this the video that promoted you to criticise something that they've done many times before?

B) Is comparing a reaction to an unfinished Alpha build of Halo to a release title of entirely different stylistic intention valid? Be honest.

C) Is forbidding DF from expressing subjective opinion really your business, or worth doing?

D) Do you think you might have a secondary trigger somewhere in this equation that's lighting a fire under your butt?

E) paraphrasing my recent thread: Does your innermost self actually care about graphics as much as you rage about them?

F) Bonus question: Are you confiscating all existence licences for games that call for equivocation on graphics that are beautiful but not envelope-pushers?

Straw man.

Goalposts.

Straw man again.

Daft.

Your thread was idiotic and I chose to ignore it. Your entire premise was foolish. If I didnt care about graphics, I wouldnt talk about them on forums. I wouldnt spend three years as part of the next gen speculation thread. Maybe you like to go into threads you dont care about and rage about them, but I only stick to stuff I care about.

If you had bothered to read my post and actually bothered to reply to a single argument I had made instead of moving goalposts and using straw man arguments then you would get your answer. I dont care if Gamespot gives Mario Odyssey a 10 despite its art style and lack of technical prowess. What I care about is a technical reviewer NOT technically reviewing a game. This is his job. A critics job is to criticize. A gamespot critics job is to critique games. He doesnt get to give a shit game a pass because the sound design is great or because the graphics are phenomenal.

SlimySnake

The issue is im an entitled little bitch who not only gets to decide what games should be on PS5/XSX but also I decide how Digital Foundry talks about the games they talk about.
30a.gif

Why are you not only dictating what games should be on PS5/XSX but also dictating how DF run their channel or website.

Who the fuck are you?

If they want to do videos on nothing but music they can, they started doing retro runs and thats fine, they started doing DF Directs and thats fine.
They review GPUs and thats fine....its their channel they can do whatever the fuck they want.
What entitles you to dictate what comes out on PS5/XSX or how DF runs their shit?

Do you see why this is a stupid thread?
You are nobody and have no right to dictate any of the things you are dictating to happen, so why bother?
Nah, not gonna respond to anything written this way. Get lost.

Last edited:

Chiggs

I have no idea what Digital Foundry is trying to be anymore, but I’d suspect it’s something they’re just not.

Admittedly, I also wish they didn’t exist; they’re a blight on gaming. No offense to Leadbetter…he generally seems like the best of the bunch, far and away.

Tschumi

Straw man.

Goalposts.

Straw man again.

Daft.

Your thread was idiotic and I chose to ignore it. Your entire premise was foolish. If I didnt care about graphics, I wouldnt talk about them on forums. I wouldnt spend three years as part of the next gen speculation thread. Maybe you like to go into threads you dont care about and rage about them, but I only stick to stuff I care about.

If you had bothered to read my post and actually bothered to reply to a single argument I had made instead of moving goalposts and using straw man arguments then you would get your answer. I dont care if Gamespot gives Mario Odyssey a 10 despite its art style and lack of technical prowess. What I care about is a technical reviewer NOT technically reviewing a game. This is his job. A critics job is to criticize. A gamespot critics job is to critique games. He doesnt get to give a shit game a pass because the sound design is great or because the graphics are phenomenal.
You've been sent way off the deep end lol, when people stop replying and start using convenient generalisations and rage, without any concessions no less, i lean back and strut away from the foo'

Ben Stiller Swag GIF

Edit: you're precisely the type of poster my thread was taking the piss out of, making your tearfully calling it "idiotic" even more bushleague and revealing

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Graphics elitism...
Cabin Fever Reaction GIF by chuber channel

It's a locked 60fps and that's what matters to get fluid gameplay and tight input. This is what Digital Foundry is all about.

Some of you guys should really consider if you truly like to play games - or just look at them. Movies are a good substitute for that.

Top Bottom