• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Developers Having Difficult Time Scaling games back to PS4/Xbox One specs

CrysisFreak

Banned
Garbage. I can't believe that your being this obtuse by accident.

They used 'Infinite' as an example, to make it easier to understand for people who struggle with simple concepts.

It applies to all Smart Delivery games, including (but not limited to)...
  • Halo Infinite
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
  • Watch Dogs 2
  • Marvel's Avengers
  • Destiny 2
  • DiRT 5
Seriously, it's fine to not want such a service, but it's a new feature and it's a good new feature. Why be misleading about it?
"Smart Delivery" is not something that's special. It's a bunch of side characters giving a fancy name to something that is not exclusive to their platform.
Anyone can do smart delivery on either platform if they want.
Dirt, Avengers, Destiny, etc.
Smart Delivery is basically the same concept as PS3-PS Vita crossbuy, except with a fancy name.
So it is weird to read about people believing that Smart Delivery is a game changer or a differentiator. It's not.

Redlight

"Smart Delivery" is not something that's special. It's a bunch of side characters giving a fancy name to something that is not exclusive to their platform.
Anyone can do smart delivery on either platform if they want.
Dirt, Avengers, Destiny, etc.
Smart Delivery is basically the same concept as PS3-PS Vita crossbuy, except with a fancy name.
So it is weird to read about people believing that Smart Delivery is a game changer or a differentiator. It's not.
It would be weird if anyone said any such thing outside of your fetid imagination. It's a neat little feature that does something above and beyond what currently happens, that's the only claim. It is therefore better than what we have now.

Xbox has a Smart Delivery system that allows you to play the correct version of your owned game on whatever Xbox hardware you want to play it on. You can take your Series X Valhalla disc to a friend's house and play the game there, even if your friend only has an Xbox One.

Can you take your PS5 disc to a friend's house and play it on their PS4? No. No, you can't.

Could Sony do the same thing? Probably. Do they offer that feature? No, they don't.

It's a thing you can do on one console that you cannot do on the other, so yes, it's a differentiator and yes, it's exclusive until both consoles have the same system.

Fuck me, it's tiring to have to keep explaining the same simple concept.

Reactions: ik3

Shmunter

It would be weird if anyone said any such thing outside of your fetid imagination. It's a neat little feature that does something above and beyond what currently happens, that's the only claim. It is therefore better than what we have now.

Xbox has a Smart Delivery system that allows you to play the correct version of your owned game on whatever Xbox hardware you want to play it on. You can take your Series X Valhalla disc to a friend's house and play the game there, even if your friend only has an Xbox One.

Can you take your PS5 disc to a friend's house and play it on their PS4? No. No, you can't.

Could Sony do the same thing? Probably. Do they offer that feature? No, they don't.

It's a thing you can do on one console that you cannot do on the other, so yes, it's a differentiator and yes, it's exclusive until both consoles have the same system.

Fuck me, it's tiring to have to keep explaining the same simple concept.
Can take your Series X Valhalla disc to a friend's house and play the game there, even if your friend only has a PS4?

No, no you can’t. Not so smart then.

Redlight

Really how many people would carry a Series X disk to 'their friends house who has only an Xbox One', sit there for half an hour waiting for the game to install on XB1's old HDD, and play it with the friend together? What year is it, 2005? Online multiplayer/co-op is a thing. There's virtually no value for most in the scenario you explained.

The problem with Xbox is 'services' always used as an argument instead of great games. Smart delivery and Gamepass is not a substitute for FF7R, Death Stranding, TLOU2 and GoT in just the last 5 months on Playstation.
I'm not going to address this again after this because I've explained it inside-out and in the simplest of terms, yet I keep getting replies that simply refuse to absorb it. It's exhausting and, obviously, utterly pointless.

So, one more time, just for you.

It isn't like the discovery of penicillin. It's a new twist that allows extra freedom to play your owned games on the whatever Xbox hardware you have access to at the time.

You can do it with a disc, take it to a friend's house (it's not compulsory, don't worry). You can also do it digitally and it may be that you buy the Series X version and want to play it on your old One X that you've moved to the bedroom. I used the disc example because, very clearly, I need to keep it simple and people want to insist that Smart delivery is exactly the same as the current 'upgrade patch' system, which it clearly is not.

You wouldn't be able to do it with Cyberpunk on the PS5/PS4, though you'll be able to do it with Cyberpunk on the Series X/Xbox.

It isn't a world changer but it's new and it's a nice extra feature.

I don't understand why people have a burning need to explain that an improved feature is bad, a lie or unnecessary. Some people who claim not to care about it are very adamant that it doesn't even exist.

It's like a fever dream.

Reactions: ik3

Redlight

Can take your Series X Valhalla disc to a friend's house and play the game there, even if your friend only has a PS4?

No, no you can’t. Not so smart then.
If my PS4 owning friend was anything like you then I wouldn't even contemplate it, even if it was possible.

wolywood

I'm interested to see how this works from a technical perspective. If I insert my Smart Delivery capable Xbox Series X game disc into my Xbox One, the game automatically switches to low/medium visual settings? Like a PC game but without the end user custom setting options?

Dodkrake

Banned
The thing is, I don't have to provide a link because you already did.

Did you even read it?

"If you pick up Xbox Series X for your living room, Smart Delivery will recognize that and deliver you the Optimized version there. If you decide to move your existing Xbox One to a bedroom or the office, Smart Delivery will recognize that too and deliver that version when you’re playing on Xbox One."

"physical discs of Xbox games can also support Smart Delivery"

At the moment if you buy a current-gen version you'd get a patch for next-gen, that's it. If you bought the next-gen version you can only play it on next-gen systems.

'Smart Delivery' allows you to move in either direction. If you bought the Series X version can take your Series X disc and play the Xbox One version at a friend's house.

You can't do that now. You can't do that on PS5. It's a new feature.

So what you're arguing is that the follow scenarios are different:

PS5 - Buy the PS4 version and get the free PS5 version / Buy the PS5 version and get the PS5 version
Xbox - Buy the One version and get the free X version / buy the X version and get the one version

Because the way I see it, the Smart PS5 player will simply buy the PS4 version and get both, thus rendering the "Buy the X version and get the One version" from Xbox a stupid marketing gimmick.

Gp1

Jaguar was pretty bad even when the PS4/Xbone were new - an i5 2400 from two years prior ran circles around even 8 Jaguar cores, but now the new consoles are actually stronger CPU-wise than a lot of gaming PCs out there still using four or six cores.

A Sandy Bridge i5 (anyone) paired with a mid/low range gpu (1060/1650 etc) can run almost everything that a ps4 Pro can run at the same level of detail, with at least 50-100% more frames.
With the exception of some multicore hungry/unoptimized engines.

I sailed this entire generation with a build like this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom