• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Developers Having Difficult Time Scaling games back to PS4/Xbox One specs

sainraja

Again, you're missing the point I was making in response to the first post I quoted of yours. The narrative has changed but before now it was pretty much understood that they wanted the content to be where you are (even when they said this, I wasn't thinking it'd be forever.) Point being, they were all in on 'smart delivery', something they decided to "brand" when it's been done before just not been made a huge deal of.

Here's Alanah highlighting the difference between Microsfot & Sony this time around:

You guys need to stop acting as if Microsoft never had that goal in mind. How close they remain to that now? It remains to be seen.

Redlight

👆
I'm either blocked or it's selective ignorance.
But yeah... Smart delivery all but in name.
There is a clear difference and I've explained that difference in terms even a two-year-old could understand. If you can't understand it, well, that's really on you.

Redlight

First there was electricity, then the motorcar, and now we have Smartdelivery.

It’s a miracle of modern science. Normies can’t appreciate how revolutionary it is and it takes someone very special to see it for what it is. You are that special someone. Spread your wisdom far and wide for the betterment of humanity, I certainly learnt from it.
It's a nice feature, not a revolution.

You're not an idiot. You understand the feature and the difference/advantages over the current system.
Why pretend that you don't? Doesn't having to pretend ignorance in order to support your stance give you pause?

It should.

JonnyMP3

There is a clear difference and I've explained that difference in terms even a two-year-old could understand. If you can't understand it, well, that's really on you.

All the page says is that if you purchase a crossgen game on X1, you'll get the XSX version free automatically when you purchase the XSX.
Which is exactly the same as the PS5... What magic sauce are you sniffing?
If you have a link or something substantial to post to backup your claim, fine. But considering the main Xbox page on Smart Delivery doesn't say anything to confirm whatever the hell it is you're attempting to claim.Yeah... No. The proof of burden lies with you!

Last edited:

All the page says is that if you purchase a crossgen game on X1, you'll get the XSX version free automatically when you purchase the XSX.

Oh jeez I never tried sniffing hot sauce before. It really can't be pleasant.

Wasabi-Spoon.gif

Redlight

If you have a link or something substantial to post to backup your claim, fine. But considering the main Xbox page on Smart Delivery doesn't say anything to confirm whatever the hell it is you're attempting to claim.Yeah... No. The proof of burden lies with you!
The thing is, I don't have to provide a link because you already did.

Did you even read it?

"If you pick up Xbox Series X for your living room, Smart Delivery will recognize that and deliver you the Optimized version there. If you decide to move your existing Xbox One to a bedroom or the office, Smart Delivery will recognize that too and deliver that version when you’re playing on Xbox One."

"physical discs of Xbox games can also support Smart Delivery"

At the moment if you buy a current-gen version you'd get a patch for next-gen, that's it. If you bought the next-gen version you can only play it on next-gen systems.

'Smart Delivery' allows you to move in either direction. If you bought the Series X version can take your Series X disc and play the Xbox One version at a friend's house.

You can't do that now. You can't do that on PS5. It's a new feature.

JonnyMP3

Did you even read it?

"If you pick up Xbox Series X for your living room, Smart Delivery will recognize that and deliver you the Optimized version there. If you decide to move your existing Xbox One to a bedroom or the office, Smart Delivery will recognize that too and deliver that version when you’re playing on Xbox One."

At the moment if you buy a current-gen version you'd get a patch for next-gen, that's it. If you bought the next-gen version you can only play it on next-gen systems.

'Smart Delivery' allows you to move in either direction. If you bought the Series X version can take your Series X disc and play the Xbox One version at a friend's house.

If I put an XSX to my living room, somehow Smartshift will know it's in the living room?
If I move my Xbox 1 to the office or bedroom... It'll recognise I've moved my xbox 1 to the office or bedroom?

So Smartshift is going to recognise that I moved my Xbox 1 to another room? How does that mean anything apart from if you play the XSX version, you'll get the XSX version. And if you play the Xbox 1 version... You'll get the Xbox 1 version.

JonnyMP3

Did you even read it?

Btw heres the full thing that you highlighted, rather than a part of it.

When Halo Infinite launches alongside Xbox Series X and Xbox One this holiday, you only have to buy the game once and you’ll get the best version for whichever console you own, or both. If you pick up Xbox Series X for your living room, Smart Delivery will recognize that and deliver you the Optimized version there. If you decide to move your existing Xbox One to a bedroom or the office, Smart Delivery will recognize that too and deliver that version when you’re playing on Xbox One.

What you claim only applies to Halo Infinite. So really, did you even read it properly before assuming as well?

Zok310

Banned
Hope MS ready to die on that hill in the name of not being anti consumer to please forum dweebs.

Last edited:
Ok my counter argument to these multiplatform devs.

What about PCs? Why they have low and medium system requirements for games made for next gen hardware? Will low end system without hdd not hold game back? Why not mandate SSD and system requirements equivalent to Series X specs then?

ANSWER THIS

Redlight

Btw heres the full thing that you highlighted, rather than a part of it.

When Halo Infinite launches alongside Xbox Series X and Xbox One this holiday, you only have to buy the game once and you’ll get the best version for whichever console you own, or both. If you pick up Xbox Series X for your living room, Smart Delivery will recognize that and deliver you the Optimized version there. If you decide to move your existing Xbox One to a bedroom or the office, Smart Delivery will recognize that too and deliver that version when you’re playing on Xbox One.

What you claim only applies to Halo Infinite. So really, did you even read it properly before assuming as well?
Garbage. I can't believe that your being this obtuse by accident.

They used 'Infinite' as an example, to make it easier to understand for people who struggle with simple concepts.

It applies to all Smart Delivery games, including (but not limited to)...
  • Halo Infinite
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
  • Watch Dogs 2
  • Marvel's Avengers
  • Destiny 2
  • DiRT 5
Seriously, it's fine to not want such a service, but it's a new feature and it's a good new feature. Why be misleading about it?

Last edited:

Redlight

If I put an XSX to my living room, somehow Smartshift will know it's in the living room?
If I move my Xbox 1 to the office or bedroom... It'll recognise I've moved my xbox 1 to the office or bedroom?

So Smartshift is going to recognise that I moved my Xbox 1 to another room? How does that mean anything apart from if you play the XSX version, you'll get the XSX version. And if you play the Xbox 1 version... You'll get the Xbox 1 version.
What the f&^k are you even talking about? What's Smartshift got to do with it?

1) A person buys a Series X.
2) They buy a Series X version of a game supported by Smart Delivery. It's the only version they have.
3) They visit a friend who only has an Xbox One (or go to a different room in their own house where their old Xbox is).
4) They can use the Series X disc to play the Xbox One version on the older machine (they can also do this digitally).
5) Smart Delivery supplies the correct version of a game to whatever Xbox hardware you're using.
6) It works both ways, current 'upgrade patches' do not.

Smart Delivery is a new service. It's better because more options are always better.

jigglet

Banned
This problem could be easily solved by releasing an updated version of the Xbox one with the same specs as the Xbox series x but with a $199 price tag. Do I really need to spell it out for you people?

jigglet

Banned
I think I might be missing something about Smart Delivery. It checks the hardware and only gives it the assets it requires, right? So if I have an XB1, it doesn't download ultra HD textures if it doesn't need it?

That's a great feature I agree, but how the fuck is that even worth more than a single bullet point on the back of a box and more than 1 comment on this forum going "oh that's nice to have"?

Seriously I've seen so many pages of debate about this, is it warranted? Or have I completely missed the point of it? The XBSX has so many great features I don't understand why this one in particujlar gets discussed so much.

2) They buy a Series X version of a game supported by Smart Delivery. It's the only version they have.
3) They visit a friend who only has an Xbox One (or go to a different room in their own house where their old Xbox is).
4) They can use the Series X disc to play the Xbox One version on the older machine (they can also do this digitally).

Really how many people would carry a Series X disk to 'their friends house who has only an Xbox One', sit there for half an hour waiting for the game to install on XB1's old HDD, and play it with the friend together? What year is it, 2005? Online multiplayer/co-op is a thing. There's virtually no value for most in the scenario you explained.

The problem with Xbox is 'services' always used as an argument instead of great games. Smart delivery and Gamepass is not a substitute for FF7R, Death Stranding, TLOU2 and GoT in just the last 5 months on Playstation.

JonnyMP3

5) Smart Delivery supplies the correct version of a game to whatever Xbox hardware you're using.

Smart Delivery is a new service. It's better because more options are always better.
I meant smart delivery. And... So if I take the XSX disc to a friends with an X1... I can get him to download the X1 version...

See when you say 1 version, that's where you confuse me. How can there be 1 version of a game between a 1.3 TF machine and a 12TF machine?
It'll be their own separate individual version unless every game can scale in some magic way using DXU12.
If you're saying that with Xbox, you get both X1 and XSX version... Okay, makes more sense without the PR fluff.

If you're saying the disc is a license key then fair enough. That's been around since PC's and it not new.
But I rather than take your word for it, I'd prefer to just see the thing in action and see how it actually works rather than a Web page that's about as clear as mud.
Guess we'll have to wait till Nov to see the process in action.

REDRZA MWS

The PS3 had the strength of the PS brand, as well as great exclusives, to help keep it afloat. It also helped that the 360 struggled out of the gate, as well, with RROD and coming off the weak sales performance of the OG Xbox.

The Xbox brand, in terms of selling HW, isn't that strong. This gen lost them 30M+ users. And now that they are moving towards streaming and have all their titles on PC, it's even weaker in that aspect. They also have another strong PS console to compete against.

I think we're at the point where a lot of gamers are tired of waiting for that supposed Xbox greatness its fans keep saying is right around the corner.

Xbox has been great for me since OG launch. Stayed up playing split screen campaign all night on legendary to beat it, great times. Also the first console to ever have an Ethernet port built in day 1.

Countless of hours of fun gaming on Xbox live. The 360 gen all big multi platform shooters were a no brainer 360. I’ve had a blast with my Xbox one now X too.

And all the above I said applies it to my PS4 now Pro, and all the great gaming experiences I’ve had there. Why can’t we all just get along especially in the fact we are all obviously GAMERS.

Ar¢tos

So when crossgen games die in 2 years or less, this feature that will be used by about 12 people will become completely useless?
A true game changer...

Kumomeme

Ok my counter argument to these multiplatform devs.

What about PCs? Why they have low and medium system requirements for games made for next gen hardware? Will low end system without hdd not hold game back? Why not mandate SSD and system requirements equivalent to Series X specs then?

ANSWER THIS
PC not use jaguar

Last edited:

DonMigs85

Jaguar was pretty bad even when the PS4/Xbone were new - an i5 2400 from two years prior ran circles around even 8 Jaguar cores, but now the new consoles are actually stronger CPU-wise than a lot of gaming PCs out there still using four or six cores.

webber

What a mess, what a fiasco.
They had their chance to do a reset for next gen and they blew it. All they had to do were to FORGET past mistakes and focus on XSX and their new studios to make new and impressive games.

What they do instead? Shift the business model to Netflix of gaming with GamePass and play anywhere on any machine while supporting older and weaker mistakes (XBox One)...

... leaving it all to Sony without even putting up a fight. Don't believe for a second devs don't want their games to be liked and sell millions like major 3rd, 2nd and obviously 1st party does on PlayStation.

Halo Infinite is the proof that they already made the wrong choice. Flagship title and franchise that looks worse than the best of current gen on "next gen" (PC) hardware? FAIL.

By supporting XBOX One they're holding back EVERYTHING. "John" is right, no one wants Jaguar CPUs headaches anymore...

Microsoft should just sell controllers to let people play on PC because they having a new console coming out where you can play all its games better on PC anyway doesn't make any sense to me.

Paulxo87

They had their chance to do a reset for next gen and they blew it. All they had to do were to FORGET past mistakes and focus on XSX and their new studios to make new and impressive games.

What they do instead? Shift the business model to Netflix of gaming with GamePass and play anywhere on any machine while supporting older and weaker mistakes (XBox One)...

... leaving it all to Sony without even putting up a fight. Don't believe for a second devs don't want their games to be liked and sell millions like major 3rd, 2nd and obviously 1st party does on PlayStation.

Halo Infinite is the proof that they already made the wrong choice. Flagship title and franchise that looks worse than the best of current gen on "next gen" (PC) hardware? FAIL.

By supporting XBOX One they're holding back EVERYTHING. "John" is right, no one wants Jaguar CPUs headaches anymore...

Microsoft should just sell controllers to let people play on PC because they having a new console coming out where you can play all its games better on PC anyway doesn't make any sense to me.

It's their biggest fuck up yet

ZywyPL

Banned
Jaguar was pretty bad even when the PS4/Xbone were new - an i5 2400 from two years prior ran circles around even 8 Jaguar cores, but now the new consoles are actually stronger CPU-wise than a lot of gaming PCs out there still using four or six cores.

i5? Even i3 with 2C/4T ran the games at double the framerate of the consoles. But yeah the bar will be raised quite a lot this time around, but then again, consoles will use 7C/14T at best, while PCs will have the upper hand when it comes to clocks, so I won't be surprised if a 6C/12T CPU @4.5GHz+ will be more than enough to match. Especially if it's more and more the GPU that does all the heavy lifting.

DonMigs85

i5? Even i3 with 2C/4T ran the games at double the framerate of the consoles. But yeah the bar will be raised quite a lot this time around, but then again, consoles will use 7C/14T at best, while PCs will have the upper hand when it comes to clocks, so I won't be surprised if a 6C/12T CPU @4.5GHz+ will be more than enough to match. Especially if it's more and more the GPU that does all the heavy lifting.
I'm planning to pick up a cheaper Ryzen 3900X or maybe 4900X in 2-3 years, just to have a nice lift over the consoles. In the meantime I'll run my current 2600 into the ground

sn0man

The question is why are devs working on ps4 and xbox one if they hate the jaguar cpu and have a hard time scaling? They are free to make next gen only games as they are 3rd party studio.
install base. if your business model is sell the most copies, skipping the ps5/xssxes is smarter than the 150 million xbonesxsad/ps44pro folks

sn0man

Because if you scale up you're just going to get games that look like the games we already have but with higher settings on the Xbox SX but if they start with the SX they can make the game next gen then Xbox One will get whatever they can get to run on it that will most likely look better than the other Xbox One games but might not run so well or have a low resolution.
I would argue it might look worse than another xb1 release. if you are developing games including gameplay for next gen, you might create a play field of a certain size or have an enemy count so high that in "scale down" it looks or plays disjointedly or loses its impact.

If you scale up, you can do something like 4k60 with TAA and higher bit-depth HDR with less banding. sure the poly count might not be as cool, but maybe some immersive raytracing

MrFunSocks

Banned

Who is "they" here? Microsoft? What do Microsoft have to do with third party developers trying to shoehorn their next gen games back on to the previous consoles including PS4, to try and get sales from the 150 million install base, and having trouble making a game built for a Ryzen CPU work on a shitty Jaguar?

The original tweet is not about only the Xbox, it's about Xbox AND PS4. OP, being the fanboy that he is, chose to accidentally leave that part out and just focus on trying to make the Xbox look bad.

Last edited:

webber

Who is "they" here? Microsoft? What do Microsoft have to do with third party developers trying to shoehorn their next gen games back on to the previous consoles including PS4, to try and get sales from the 150 million install base, and having trouble making a game built for a Ryzen CPU work on a shitty Jaguar?

The original tweet is not about only the Xbox, it's about Xbox AND PS4. OP, being the fanboy that he is, chose to accidentally leave that part out and just focus on trying to make the Xbox look bad.
We know, but...
... Sony isn't the one showing its system seller franchise for its new machine looking like a XBox One/last gen game.
There's no need to be upset.
:messenger_smiling:

Microsoft is a bunch of fucking clowns. This cross gen shit is a disaster and will be holding the industry back. I hope they crash and burn

How many cross gen Series X games announced by MS other than Halo, which was in development before seriesX specs were announced lol.

All future MS games are seriesX and PC only.

MrFunSocks

Banned
How many cross gen Series X games announced by MS other than Halo, which was in development before seriesX specs were announced lol.

All future MS games are seriesX and PC only.
People on here are still pretending that MS are mandating all games next generation have to run on the Xbox One as well lol. It's ridiculous. Then again these same people are also saying that Halo Infinite is a XSX game built from the ground up for a 12TF console that didn't exist for the first probably 3 years of the games development lol.

Forza, Fable, Everwild, etc are not coming to XB1. The XB1 having a Jaguar CPU means nothing to those games because they're not running on a Jaguar CPU, they're running on a Ryzen CPU.

People on here are still pretending that MS are mandating all games next generation have to run on the Xbox One as well lol. It's ridiculous. Then again these same people are also saying that Halo Infinite is a XSX game built from the ground up for a 12TF console that didn't exist for the first probably 3 years of the games development lol.

Forza, Fable, Everwild, etc are not coming to XB1. The XB1 having a Jaguar CPU means nothing to those games because they're not running on a Jaguar CPU, they're running on a Ryzen CPU.

Last I checked it was the people at Microsoft and 343i telling us Halo Infinite was built from the ground up for Series X.

"Brand new games built natively for the Xbox Series X such as Halo Infinite."

Reactions: GHG

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
I will take this with a grain of salt. John is NOT a fan of crossgen. He said it loudly several times. Maybe some devs are not happy to works Jaguars again.

But to say that MS would scrap Lockhart is a stretch.

MrFunSocks

Banned
People saying they should scrap the XB1 version of Halo Infinite don't seem to realize that they are saying to literally throw the entire game away. There is no "made for series x" Infinite, the game is an xbox one game that will get a Series X patch the same way that Gears 5 will.

GHG

Gold Member
Halo Infinite IS an Xbox One game...........that's why it looks like an Xbox One game lol.

That's not how they are marketing it though. Apparently it's built from the ground up for the Series X.

I remember when that game was being talked up as the game that would destroy everything else we had seen at next gen showcases. Good times.

People saying they should scrap the XB1 version of Halo Infinite don't seem to realize that they are saying to literally throw the entire game away. There is no "made for series x" Infinite, the game is an xbox one game that will get a Series X patch the same way that Gears 5 will.

Patch?

It's called smart delivery you heathen. Keep up with the lingo dear.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
That's not how they are marketing it though. Apparently it's built from the ground up for the Series X.

I remember when that game was being talked up as the game that would destroy everything else we had seen at next gen showcases. Good times.

Patch?

It's called smart delivery you heathen. Keep up with the lingo dear.
Doesn't really matter how they're marketing it, that's what it is. It's almost like marketing is some sort of way of manipulating people into buying something.

Top Bottom