• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Developers Having Difficult Time Scaling games back to PS4/Xbox One specs

NeoLed

Why PlayStation developers need to scale back to PS4? From what I remember, Sony asked developers to make sure PS4 title to playable at PS5. Not the other way around. If they really want to release at PS4, target it as base, and then scale forward will be a better solution

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Wide variety? This forum is the worst Sony fanboy hive. Any favorable opinion about Xbox is laughed at and all criticism regarding Sony dismissed.
Simpleton, play some games and sip your juice.

Your failure to recognize an open forum is not an excuse to screech when your brand gets criticized. Ironically, people like you are the direct cause for any movement toward a "hive" because you cannot converse without bringing Sides into it. You create the devil that you conveniently keep finding under every rock.

Stuart360

The PS5 and XSX are on a par with a 2070/2080, cards which have been out for years now, and only about 5-6% of steam users are equaling or bettering:
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Sure, the 3000 series is around the corner, so even the 3060 will likely be as good or better, but the vast majority of PC players will still have systems well below next gen console specs for years to come.
Except they wont. The 960 and 970 quickly became the most used cards on Steam after they launched. The 1060 and 1070 became the most used card on Steam very quickly after launch ,with the 2060 and 2070 catching up fast after they launched, and overtook the 1070.
Go on Steam, or any PC centric forum, and you will see most are waiting for the 3000 series. So am i, i already updated my cpu and motherboard, doubled my ram to 32gb, and now just waiting for the 3000 series.
This happens on PC leading up to every new console generation.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This could explain why some upcoming Microsoft games have removed support for current gen consoles, although that can also be due to those games being further away than 2 year support window. John is right though, let these technological abominations stay in the past where they belong. Still can't believe what some devs were able to pull off on these machines.

But Phil said it was just a meme.

:messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:

In regards to XSX being held back, this will always be the case for first party games, as they will have to support PC release. They wont be able to design games to the XSX spec + SSD due to PC minimum specs (HDD etc).
Games are developed for the standardized console platform hardware, and if they port the game to PC you either have the minimum requirements or you don`t......
The PC is always just an afterthought and will never "hold back" console development.

Stuart360

MS should have done what they did with Forza Horizon 2. Seperate devs for cross-gen games:

Playground made the XBO version, and the 360 version was made by Sumo Digital:

There is nothing to say that XSX vs XB1 games wont be the same level of differences as shown here in this vid. We just have to wait and see.

Krisprolls

Banned
Except they wont. The 960 and 970 quickly became the most used cards on Steam after they launched. The 1060 and 1070 became the most used card on Steam very quickly after launch ,with the 2060 and 2070 catching up fast after they launched, and overtook the 1070.
Go on Steam, or any PC centric forum, and you will see most are waiting for the 3000 series. So am i, i already updated my cpu and motherboard, doubled my ram to 32gb, and now just waiting for the 3000 series.
This happens on PC leading up to every new console generation.

The link he gave you shows you're wrong. Steam Survey shows only a few % of owners have 2060+ cards.

As it should since it's a bit ridiculous paying 5 times the price of a console to get roughly the same graphics and framerate.

Stuart360

The link he gave you shows you're wrong. Steam Survey shows only a few % of owners have 2060+ cards.

As it should since it's a bit ridiculous paying 5 times the price of a console to get roughly the same graphics and framerate.
It changes all the time, a few months ago it was different with the 2060 and 2070 being right behind the 1060 and 1070. The 3000 series cards are coming soon and retailers often do deals to get rid of older cards. For example the 1050 and 1050ti were much lower a few months ago. Plus a lot of people were seriously put off by the 2000 series cards, due to the ridiclous prices for RTX, and many scipped that gen completely and decided to wait for the 3000 cards. The 2060 and 2070 actually did well to get so close to the 1060 and 1070.
Hell i'm still ona 980ti, which in itself is still more power than the most powerful console currently, and the card is 5 years old.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
There is nothing to say that XSX vs XB1 games wont be the same level of differences as shown here in this vid. We just have to wait and see.
Unfortunately, the only game Microsoft has put forward to demonstrate what scaling might be able to achieve was Halo Infinite... which looked like a sub-par XB1 game. I don't blame anyone for being skeptical about the reality of Microsoft's strategy at this point.

Shmunter

The same tiresome 'facts' that console gamers say about PC gaming, the 'tiny' amount of PC gamers that have high end PC's. The 1060, 2060, and 2070 are currently the most used gpu's on Steam, all 3 cards more powerful than the most powerful console currently in the OneX. And once the 3000 series cards launch, you will quickly see the 3060 and 3070 become the most used cards on Steam, both cards more powerful than either next gen console.
The Medium, one of the 2 games that use the magical SSD's in any impressive way, is already coming to PC, and correct me if i'm wrong, it doesnt even specify needing a SSD. I think it reccomends one, but its not needed.

I swear this is the first new console gen for some of you. I mean i know the PS4/XB1 were pretty low spec at launch, but new console gens usually have powerful new consoles. Look at 360 when it launched, and its 720p/60 port of COD2, the kind of PC you needed to match it was very high end.
I think the medium was blowing smoke up our wazoos as hype for XsX ssd. Both worlds seem to be pre loaded into ram, not loaded from secondary storage on demand as initially thought.

They may have changed course, but it’s not as was announced.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Why PlayStation developers need to scale back to PS4? From what I remember, Sony asked developers to make sure PS4 title to playable at PS5. Not the other way around. If they really want to release at PS4, target it as base, and then scale forward will be a better solution

The worls doesn't end on 1st party devs, all the 3rd party publishers like EA, Ubi, Acti, Bethesda etc. will continue to support PS4/XB1 for the next few years, there are billions of dollars waiting to be made.

My point is that most of you have no clue what anti-consumer practices means.

If you get an inferior game because if last gen systems that affects the consumers of the next gen versions. Therefore anti-consumer and Halo Infinite is an example of that. It is similar to a parity clause for example.

CrysisFreak

Banned
This is Phil pitching and presenting ideas .....

giphy.gif

The end result might look enticing, but it takes several steps to get there.
sauce?

Stuart360

I think the medium was blowing smoke up our wazoos as hype for XsX ssd. Both worlds seem to be pre loaded into ram, not loaded from secondary storage on demand as initially thought.

They may have changed course, but it’s not as was announced.
Saying that isnt exactly helping the SSD cause then is it. That means instead of 2 games, now only 1 game used the reverse engineered exotic alien tech from Area 51 SSD's, from 2 Microsoft shows, and 1 Sony show, encompassing what 60 or 70 games?.

The worls doesn't end on 1st party devs, all the 3rd party publishers like EA, Ubi, Acti, Bethesda etc. will continue to support PS4/XB1 for the next few years, there are billions of dollars waiting to be made.

Nah, excluding their smaller scale projects and current gen left overs that still need releasing, all of them will have moved on to next-gen exclusives.

Shmunter

Saying that isnt exactly helping the SSD cause then is it. That means instead of 2 games, now only 1 game used the reverse engineered exotic alien tech from Area 51 SSD's, from 2 Microsoft shows, and 1 Sony show, encompassing what 60 or 70 games?.
Well it’s not even day 0 for the ssd driven consoles, so it’s a moot point writing the tech off just yet.

But yes, Medium ain’t it.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Where are you even trying to go with this?

Area 51 SSDs will provide the very first impact of any user trying these consoles for the first time. You know, when they turn it on and things just happen when they are supposed to happen instead making you wait in queue?

The rest takes time. Freedom takes time to be explored.

REDRZA MWS

Just add this to the pile of news potential buyers love to hear in being convinced to upgrade to a potentially 5,6, or 700$ machine.

I never thought in a million years Microsoft would have a poor launch after the Xbox One debacle. Boy was I wrong.

There is zero reason to upgrade. What an embarrassment.
They are having a poor launch because they LISTENED to the feedback of their flagship game? The hyperbole on these boards is above and beyond.

Their hardware, the series x, is not only more powerful than its competitor, it’s been done for MONTHS. MS employees have had it in their homes for MONTHS. The hardware is rock solid. Not one mention of any “rumors”, unlike PS5, that the SeX couldn’t run “x” game at 4k etc etc.

Meantime, you will be able to play all the current big 3rd party games on the most powerful console where they will look/perform best. You will have an entire library of games that go back GENERATIONS that in most cases the games will be enhanced by the hardware.

Lasty, Halo being delayed is a bummerfor launch but a GREAT thing long term. Also, down the line we will get more games from MGS and all the new talent they aquired.

Now that Halo is delayed I don’t see one single “killer app” on EITHER console for launch. I’m ok with that because a console purchase is a 5-7 year investment. I’m getting both at launch and I’m going to enjoy the games I play enhanced by these machines, and looking forward to what they both have coming in the years to come.

Last edited:
They are having a poor launch because they LISTENED to the feedback of their flagship game? The hyperbole on these boards is above and beyond.

Their hardware, the series x, is not only more powerful than its competitor, it’s been done for MONTHS. MS employees have had it in their homes for MONTHS. The hardware is rock solid. Not one mention of any “rumors”, unlike PS5, that the SeX couldn’t run “x” game at 4k etc etc.

Meantime, you will be able to play all the current big 3rd party games on the most powerful console where they will look/perform best. You will have an entire library of games that go back GENERATIONS that in most cases the games will be enhanced by the hardware.

Lasty, Halo being delayed is a bummerfor launch but a GREAT thing long term. Also, down the line we will get more games from MGS and all the new talent they aquired.

Now that Halo is delayed I don’t see one single “killer app” on EITHER console for launch. I’m ok with that because a console purchase is a 5-7 year investment. I’m getting both at launch and I’m going to enjoy the games I play enhanced by these machines, and looking forward to what they both have coming in the years to come.

Spiderman is a killer app. You can sing lalala as much as you want but it'll sell gangbusters

NeoLed

Then they should focus on PS4/XB1 first and then scale up.

At least in Sony environment, it has a clear message that game developed for PS5 might not available for PS4. So if developers try to scale back, they make problems for themselves

GHG

They need to learn to code and git gud.

I sincerely hope this is a joke.

Because if you've ever done any programming and had to be constrained by older hardware or software in any way you would know how much of a nightmare it can be.

Ask any dev to make you a website but tell them it has to be 100% compatible with Internet Explorer and see what kind of reaction you get.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
MS should have done what they did with Forza Horizon 2. Seperate devs for cross-gen games:

Ports were also more competent between the two systems when it came to performance, from COD to Destiny to Titanfall due to the CPUs being closer in power than they are now.

Reactions: ik3

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

This will cost MS more money than they are willing to spend.

ZywyPL

Banned
Then they should focus on PS4/XB1 first and then scale up.

At least in Sony environment, it has a clear message that game developed for PS5 might not available for PS4. So if developers try to scale back, they make problems for themselves

But that's exactly what they do, no? Just adding extra RT effects, 60/120FPS modes etc. to PS4/XB1 gmes. If not and they go the other way around, then what can I say, it's not my issue if the devs choose an easy job or screw themselves up.

Flintty

Yup. Cancel the X1 version or splinter off a team to develop it as another project in parallel so it’s two different games, if an X1 version is that important to them.

Shmunter

Kinda ironic how Halo Infinite became a meme shortly after he said that, lol.
It is ironic. I swear, Phil considers himself as the Steve Jobs of 2020, with the infamous reality distortion field and all. If I will it, they will believe it. Although, probably just read Job’s Autobiography.

Common Phil, get a new strategy, the current playbook is getting kinda stale.

Last edited:

NeoLed

But that's exactly what they do, no? Just adding extra RT effects, 60/120FPS modes etc. to PS4/XB1 gmes. If not and they go the other way around, then what can I say, it's not my issue if the devs choose an easy job or screw themselves up.
I wonder what about the info on OP then. Because it make Halo:Infinite is actually went that way. Series X first, scale down to XOne

ik3

Neo Member
Five hundred million dollars. That’s the elephant in the room that has put 343i and several Microsoft executive’s future in doubt, and that’s why they’re all currently lying and kicking the can down the road.

Halo Infinite is never going to look or play like a next gen game - unless it goes into a whole new development cycle, jettisons Xbox One support, and has every-single-part of it reworked or remade to take advantage of the Series X. They all know it looks and plays like horse shit, but the reaction has set off an absolute firestorm of panic, with poor graphics barely scratching the surface of trouble.

You can tell from the few tiny little skirmishes they used as their big reveal, with a Warthog traversing an empty, silent landscape, horrific pop-in that they couldn’t even be bothered to record a new video to hide by looking somewhere other than directly at the mountains, and that laughable purple monkey *thing* having multiple close ups, those were THE BEST parts they could show.
That means we can safely assume that the game is not only unfinished, but that any more impressive moments literally don’t exist. Add to this the weapons being wildly uninspiring, the grappling hook mechanic exciting pretty much nobody, and you can understand why questions are being raised over whether 343i can be trusted to finish this. The 10 year plan for Halo is in tatters, and there’s now less chance of this game coming out than there is of a press release early next year saying “Technical obstacles could not be overcome”, and something something something welcome back Bungie, see you in 2023. $500,000,000 is a mind blowing amount of money, but Microsoft would sooner write that off than let 343i fuck both Halo and the Series X forever. Anyway, hi Gaf, this is my first post after lurking for fucking years.

Honestly I wouldn't mind if they not only cancelled the XBO version of Halo Infinite, but cancelled the Series S as well. Maybe it does cause more technical issues than I'd of liked to thought it did? Not to mention, it's redundant now with xCloud + Gamepass coming to mobile devices (sans Apple, lol Apple) in September.

In the back of my head Series S always felt a little like a "stopgap" to me; surely people'd have no problem paying a bit more for a Series X and just enjoying that on a 1080p screen until they upgraded their monitor, right? It's not like Series X or PS5 suddenly can't run on a non-4K television! I really hope MS refocuses their next-gen approach as follows:

-Series X: Sole next-gen console, baseline target for 1st-party, powerful local (non-streaming) gaming.

-xCloud/Gamepass mobile: Companion to Series X, for those who want a cheaper way to game next-gen but are willing to sacrifice local power for cloud streaming.

...and that's all they need. Series S isn't needed in this scenario anymore. XBO cross-gen support should be cut back to just 1 year and only for select titles getting obvious XBO ports anyway like The Gunk and Grounded. Let the rest of the 1st-party focus on Series X. Let 3rd-parties focus on simply 1 next-gen SKU specification. Lock in that support, and things will go MUCH better for MS going forward.

Sometimes simpler is better.

Kuranghi

According to Digital Foundry's John Linneman he has talked to multiple developers who have said no one wants to work on the under powered Jaguar CPU's any longer. Says it's a painful process. That was followed up by a post from Liza Shulyayeva who is a programmer and formally worked ad DICE who confirmed it is hard to scale to these older systems.

This also follows reports that Microsoft had cancelled the Xbox Series S or Lockhart early on because this was causing a lot of issues for developers. Source: https://www.thurrott.com/games/208837/microsoft-shifts-xbox-focus-to-anaconda-next-gen-console#

Could this be why we still haven't seen any games running on Xbox Series X?

Seems like I remember other rumors where devs were saying the S SDK was having a lot of problems.

Digital Foundry: Halo will ALWAYS be held back so long as Xbox One is tied to Xbox Series X.

Oh xStoyax xStoyax , you're such a beautiful man, every time I see your avatar I question my heterosexuality.

BTW, I found this footage of you reacting to negative xbox news here, could be useful for the future:

giphy.gif

oldergamer

Why would it have to be a separate development studio instead of just making an internal team dedicated to it? There is literally no difference. This is why i complain so much about these ideas the media latch onto that don't make sense.

Everyone is assuming that because the port down is being handled in house, it means its a port up and the older hardware is holding thing back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom