• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Do we actually need a PS5 Pro?

Topher

Gold Member
Christian Bale Idk GIF

Honestly yes... what I think really needs to happen is improvements to the ray tracing tech. Guardians of the Galaxy on console vs PC with a good RTX card is like night and day.

Its almost like the entire aesthetic is based around it and it feels much more basic on console due to it.
A few issues:
Dev's have not even yet scratched the surface with the PS5 and Series consoles.
All next gen consoles are not readily available at retail apart from maybe the Series S.
Cross-gen is still unfortunately a thing so the userbase for all games is still split between old and new gen.

TheMan

I don't think Pro consoles make sense. Slim versions with more storage make more sense.
Ooh I like this idea. Storage is the biggest pain in the ass in this mostly digital age

And yeah, there have barely been any games that are exclusive to ps5 and really push its capabilities. There is more juice to squeeze out of this lemon.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You dont need anything except for food and water. especially not video game consoles.

But it will be nice to have.

That said, I would recommend everyone invest $2k in a PC today instead of spending $500 each on a PS5 and XSX today, and then another $500 each in 2023-2024. I highly doubt they will be able to beat a 3080 with their mid gen consoles. Sony will try to aim for 20 tflops 6800xt. MS 24 tflops 6950xt. a 3080 12GB can hold its own against those cards.

Killer8

Last gen we got the Pro / One X refreshes because 4K became a big selling point mid-way through the generation, so you needed more horsepower to deliver that higher resolution. 4K is now the standard and 8K will not supplant it for many years (if ever, potentially). I just don't see as much justification for a Pro refresh this time round.

However, I can see them still doing a premium model which would explicitly target better quality ray tracing and more games at 120fps. The messaging of it will be a harder sell for Sony though. It won't be as easy to market as "Pro = 4K", especially since the console can already do ray tracing and 120fps in different circumstances.

Banned
Last gen we got the Pro / One X refreshes because 4K became a big selling point mid-way through the generation, so you needed more horsepower to deliver that higher resolution. 4K is now the standard

neither of the current consoles can run games at 4K unless they are basically last gen graphics tho.
and I think you could easily market a pro model by simply having a big font on the package stating "60% more Graphics Power! 150% more Raytracing Power!" or something like that.

Last edited:

skit_data

It would be kinda cool to see those specs and what differences outside of higher clocks/more CUs a Pro version would bring but I’m definitely not getting one. I like using the base consoles like old times, because you appreciate the proper successor much more.

kyliethicc

For Sony I think it’s pretty obvious the constraints they’d operate with.

I personally doubt all of that can line up to happen in time.

Last edited:
Last gen we got the Pro / One X refreshes because 4K became a big selling point mid-way through the generation, so you needed more horsepower to deliver that higher resolution. 4K is now the standard and 8K will not supplant it for many years (if ever, potentially). I just don't see as much justification for a Pro refresh this time round.

However, I can see them still doing a premium model which would explicitly target better quality ray tracing and more games at 120fps. The messaging of it will be a harder sell for Sony though. It won't be as easy to market as "Pro = 4K", especially since the console can already do ray tracing and 120fps in different circumstances.

Good Points.

I'm just speculating here, but Sony maybe aware there's a market for "enthusiast" class gamers who want more performance, instead of relying on selling it as a "4K" console, which may even undermine the base PS5. Just look how popular mid to high end PC gaming has become in recent years.

You dont need anything except for food and water. especially not video game consoles.

That said, I would recommend everyone invest $2k in a PC today instead of spending $500 each on a PS5 and XSX today, and then another $500 each in 2023-2024. I highly doubt they will be able to beat a 3080 with their mid gen consoles. Sony will try to aim for 20 tflops 6800xt. MS 24 tflops 6950xt. a 3080 12GB can hold its own against those cards.
Invest in a $2000 PC that will need more $$$ down the line to stay current.
Which games really take advantage of high end GPU's like the RTX 3080. A next gen console at $500 is a better investment over the course of the gen than a $2000 PC,
PC gaming is a money pit if you want to stay current. Not everyone has money to burn.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
yes. PS5 is ENORMOUS and built to inhale dust. Not to mention it lights up the whole room and doesn't have quick resume.

give me a small normal looking PS5 that doesn't have lights on it and has vents on the back
That's a SLIM PS5 not a pro. And that what is needed : a smaller, easier to build slim PS5. A pro will be even harder to produce than current PS5 and really not necessary.

Jose92

[Membe

PC Gaming will never have one thing that consoles have, that is convenience. I have all current gen consoles a gaming laptop and a gaming desktop, and to me nothing beats switching on a console and just playing. No crashes no driver updates no stuttering when an update is running in the background it just works, as an adult with a life and limited time to spare for gaming that is what i care about just being able to play hassle free.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

i wouldn't be surprised if like what Richard says we just get a new generation essentially in 2026. A bit shorter than the previous gen but with back compat and so on it wouldn't be bad.
Idk I think this gen’s gonna be at least 7-9 years long tbh. And no, we don’t need Pro consoles right now cause the base consoles aren’t being fully utilized yet & they’re already hard enough to find.

yes. PS5 is ENORMOUS and built to inhale dust. Not to mention it lights up the whole room and doesn't have quick resume.

give me a small normal looking PS5 that doesn't have lights on it and has vents on the back
Heat and lots of noise is what you'll get if you want smaller consoles that are running north of 9TF.

People just want small small small, not taking into account the system components are pushed to the absolute limits.

elliot5

Idk I think this gen’s gonna be at least 7-9 years long tbh. And no, we don’t need Pro consoles right now cause the base consoles aren’t being fully utilized yet & they’re already hard enough to find.
maybe. I have no idea. I think Microsoft's laid good groundwork to make generations shorter. Box art is just "Xbox" with the compatible hardware listed up front. Smart Delivery backends. Backwards compatibility all the way back with ease of enhancement forwards. Cloud streaming options. PC like architecture and APIs. They could definitely just go with a new revision of hardware Called Xbox Series X (2026) or some shit idk and all the controllers would still work like how they did from One to Series.

Sony could probably do something similar since the architecture is fairly stable since PS4 era, they would just have to communicate the whole cross buy / compatibility stuff again.

vpance

I don't think they can hit $500. Maybe $599 at best. Whatever the case is if you can get one at retail price it's a no brainer.

Even if the incentive to upgrade from OG to Pro may be questionable time around the value for the hardware will still be good.

Hezekiah

Banned
It's not needed. Content is king, and there's plenty of untapped potential in the PS5. But I agree with Leadbetter, if it comes the PS5 Pro will be released in 2024.

If Sony is going to release a PS5 Pro, then I wish they will release it sooner rather than later, so that I can purchase the PS5 Pro instead of the PS5, which I still haven't been able to get. Having said that, I don't think there are going to release a "Pro" version of the current gen consoles anytime soon since they can't even keep up with the outrageously high demands right now and for the foreseeable future. I can see a revised versions of the PS5 and XSX within the next 2 years, but not a Pro version.

Hezekiah

Banned
YES... I want a high end PS5 and a high end Xbox. doesn't matter if it is priced the same as an equivalently high end PC, but having that option for the enthusiasts among the enthusiasts would be great!
The enthusiast market is tiny so you're never going to see a $700 console, never mind a $1000+ one (unless Apple decides to enter the market).

You want state-of-the-art tech, buy a gaming PC and choose how much power you want.

Banned
The enthusiast market is tiny so you're never going to see a $700 console, never mind a $1000+ one (unless Apple decides to enter the market).

You want state-of-the-art tech, buy a gaming PC and choose how much power you want.

PC is not always an option. I have a good PC, but I also want an equivalently good console.
they could easily make an enthusiast model of these consoles and sell it for 1300€

DaGwaphics

Ol’ Dicky Leadbetter takes a look at if more powerful mid gen consoles are needed, or even possible, this time around for Sony & Microsoft.

Good video that sounds perfectly reasonable. Will be interesting to see what we get. I never even upgraded to the refresh last gen anyway.

If anything, I still think a more expensive console that was looking to boost fps more than anything else would be the only viable option. But, even that would depend on if implementing these types of systems could make the cloud experience a lot better and that was the real purpose, where it would be a lower availability thing for the general public.

Last edited:
Top Bottom