• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Elden Ring PC Performance Simply Isn't Good Enough

It does on mine.

Can someone please explain how this is unplayable? I mean Im playing it 🤔

It's great that some of you are not having issues. At the same time, I'm not sure how these responses are adding to the conversation. Clearly there are issues, and they are widespread. Look at DF, look at steam user reviews. DF already identified the problem. I hope the ones that don't have issues aren't trying to downplay the concerns of the many who do have problems. That's not the messaging we should send the developers.

Buggy Loop

It's great that some of you are not having issues. At the same time, I'm not sure how these responses are adding to the conversation. Clearly there are issues, and they are widespread. Look at DF, look at steam user reviews. DF already identified the problem. I hope the ones that don't have issues aren't trying to downplay the concerns of the many who do have problems. That's not the messaging we should send the developers.

I mean there are issues, I don’t think anyone is arguing that it could not be better, but unplayable? That’s being a tad dramatic isn’t it? A bit of a REeE reaction. I’m seeing a lot of parallels between propaganda that the game doesn’t work and telling peoples to review bomb the game with cancel culture, a lot of similarities.

I guess there’s a whole generation that didn’t grow up with N64 or PSX frame rates / frame times.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It adds because that dude said it doesn't work on PC, and it does.

I mean there are issues, I don’t think anyone is arguing that it could not be better, but unplayable? That’s being a tad dramatic isn’t it? A bit of a REeE reaction. I’m seeing a lot of parallels between propaganda that the game doesn’t work and telling peoples to review bomb the game with cancel culture, a lot of similarities.

I guess there’s a whole generation that didn’t grow up with N64 or PSX frame rates / frame times.
Among the big budget releases recently, EL PC release is technically quite bad. Whether it's unplayable or not depends on the person. Just like you say that you find it's fine, it's perfectly valid for someone else to find the issues to be unplayable. Both are valid opinions. What is not an opinion is that there is widespread shader compilation related stutters in the PC version. And it's that root cause we are trying to fix, by putting pressure on the developers.

Also quoting how games used to run in the older consoles is frankly irrelevant. Gaming technical standards have risen overtime and whatever the old games ran those days does not matter. I'm sure you would sing a different tune if today's games LOOKED the same as a N64 game? Why would one treat performance any different.
It adds because that dude said it doesn't work on PC, and it does.
There is a ocean of difference between something that "works" and something that works to an acceptable level. I'm sure you understand the nuance.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
There is a ocean of difference between something that "works" and something that works to an acceptable level. I'm sure you understand the nuance.
Yeah, and this game works far above "acceptable level". People with issues should check their systen configs because I haven't had any issues near as bad as those shown on the media.

I mean, I've played for like 35 hours and only had one major stutter and one crash to desktop. Could be better yeah, but saying it doesn't work? Come on.

Yeah, and this game works far above "acceptable level". People with issues should check their systen configs because I haven't had any issues near as bad as those shown on the media.

I mean, I've played for like 35 hours and only had one major stutter and one crash to desktop. Could be better yeah, but saying it doesn't work? Come on.
All I'm saying is to go and watch the DF article. Or the ACG review. They both describe the issue. It's not a problem with the system. DF had issues on the 3900 and a top end CPU which should tell you that the problem is not hardware dependent. It ran ok for you? Great! We are all glad. Maybe indeed it ran better for you, maybe you are just more tolerant of technical deficiencies. Either way, great! Enjoy the game. But please, don't try to downplay issues that other people are clearly having. That's all I'm saying.

TintoConCasera

All I'm saying is to go and watch the DF article. Or the ACG review. They both describe the issue. It's not a problem with the system. DF had issues on the 3900 and a top end CPU which should tell you that the problem is not hardware dependent. It ran ok for you? Great! We are all glad. Maybe indeed it ran better for you, maybe you are just more tolerant of technical deficiencies. Either way, great! Enjoy the game. But please, don't try to downplay issues that other people are clearly having. That's all I'm saying.
Not downplaying anthing here.

For starters, I've learn to stop giving fucks to whatever DF, ACG or anyone else has to say. It's very easy to put up a video on YouTube the day before release, shitting on a game that people is very excited for to rack up on clicks. Yeah nah, I'll just trust my own experience.

Thing is, my system is worse than whatever DF might be using, so my guess is that they have some kind of issue on their end.

And yeah, the game could run much better and be far better optimized. But to say it "doesn't run well pc"? Come on.

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

Not downplaying anthing here.

For starters, I've learn to stop giving fucks to whatever DF, ACG or anyone else has to say. It's very easy to put up a video on YouTube the day before release, shitting on a game that people is very excited for to rack up on clicks. Yeah nah, I'll just trust my own experience.

Thing is, my system is worse than whatever DF might be using, so my guess is that they have some kind of issue on their end.

And yeah, the game could run much better and be far better optimized. But to say it "doesn't run well pc"? Come on.

How about controller issues? Basically if you have other controllers connected then the game just stops being playable. What about that? Should I disconnect all my gear everytime just to play Elden Ring?

TintoConCasera

How about controller issues? Basically if you have other controllers connected then the game just stops being playable. What about that? Should I disconnect all my gear everytime just to play Elden Ring?
Uh? I'm not aware of that issue, I play with a controller just fine. Do you mean multiple controllers at once? Yeah I guess that sucks, but I wouldn't say it makes it unplayable either.

MonarchJT

Banned
as i said billions of time from soft are the last example to take into consideration when it comes to perfomance and graphics

Buggy Loop

Among the big budget releases recently, EL PC release is technically quite bad. Whether it's unplayable or not depends on the person. Just like you say that you find it's fine, it's perfectly valid for someone else to find the issues to be unplayable. Both are valid opinions. What is not an opinion is that there is widespread shader compilation related stutters in the PC version. And it's that root cause we are trying to fix, by putting pressure on the developers.

Again..

You might have issues with how it is right now, but I disagree with this being unplayable, no matter the config. It’s a word being thrown around to create drama in the hope that From reacts.

Steam review bombing with >40 hours spent in the game within 72 hours of release.. yea, totally unplayable. Like I said, a lot of similarities with cancel culture.

It's very easy to put up a video on YouTube the day before release, shitting on a game that people is very excited for to rack up on clicks. Yeah nah, I'll just trust my own experience.

If you think people, that purchased the game on release day, are shitting on the game, and that the game actually works fine, but all of this is some sort of grand conspiracy to generate clicks, you definitely need a reality check. Your experience does not define the experience of everyone else, not does it determine which issues are and are not legitimate.

Some people purchased Cyberpunk 2077 on release and barely had issues, others purchased Battlefield 2042 on release day and were having fun with it. That doesn't mean that those games had zero issues and that anyone claiming otherwise is lying.

thuGG_pl

Uh? I'm not aware of that issue, I play with a controller just fine. Do you mean multiple controllers at once? Yeah I guess that sucks, but I wouldn't say it makes it unplayable either.
Many reported that Elden Ring doesnt properly recognize controller when you have more than one input device/controller. It can default to something else than your xbox controller. Which makes it unplayeable.
I have my simracing gear connected - 4 devices, I'm not gonna unplug it everytime I want to play ER. Basic thing, and they managed to fuck it up.

Last edited:
Every platform is having problems. I would be pissed if I was getting some of these issues. I'm glad people are finally starting to call these companies out.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
It’s playable, but it should be better. I think the micro stutters would really annoy me if I played it on pc. The micros stutters whenever something new load, judging by the videos, would be something that would interfere in fights to me. But I can understand how maybe most people wouldn’t notice that.
Like I’ve been saying, gamers are hyperbolic af.

Tomeru

It’s playable, but it should be better. I think the micro stutters would really annoy me if I played it on pc. The micros stutters whenever something new load, judging by the videos, would be something that would interfere in fights to me. But I can understand how maybe most people wouldn’t notice that.
Yeah no doubt. Stutter is the real issue, not the 60 fps cap or not the best graphics.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I am now 18 hours in and the stuttering adds up to a few percent of my total play time in each session. It's literally for a few seconds in the open world while moving around.

The game is incredible, and I've dropped the Xbox and ps5 version to dedicate my first run to pc.

What a special game this is.

Soodanim

Gold Member
From experience I can tell you that even being slightly under the CPU requirement (4 core i5 4690k), no fight I've been in has been interfered with by stuttering. The caching slowdown was less than ideal when I first started, but I'm 23 hours in and it's been absolutely fine for a lot longer than it hasn't. I say this as someone who initially jumped to PC to get away from bad performance.

The worst thing I get is the occasional 1-2 second freeze, which has happened maybe 5 times since the caching. Not nearly enough of a problem to care about.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I think people under estimate how difficult is to cover PC hardware vs fixed specs and lean API’s consoles just because some devs crack it tooling super hard. Then you have devs that may also face some problems on the consoles and the PC version, well…
Not really a good excuse in this day and age. People sorta gave them a pass with DS1, but that has come and gone and Sekiro and DS3 both ran great on PC, other than no native Ultrawide support.

Patrick S.

Banned
I have a new PC with an i5 12600k, SSD, 3600 GHz RAM and an RTX 3080. I have had zero stutters. I'm super sensitive to stutters, and I've been playing with the MSI Afterburner overlay, and the most intrusive "issues" I've experienced are maybe 2-3 of drops to 59 fps that lasted for the blink of an eye, in all of the 6 hours I've played.

Not just the developers but the reviewers should be embarrassed. I'm playing on PC and the game is stuttering, framedrops and even crashed once so far. Fighting the first mandatory boss and the cutscene is freezing.
Plenty of games of this genre crash on Playstation for me, or on Xbox for that matter. Crashing once or twice is honestly nothing to write home about as annoying as it is.

Stuttering and framedrops can be worse depending on the hardware.

vpance

I have a new PC with an i5 12600k, SSD, 3600 GHz RAM and an RTX 3080. I have had zero stutters. I'm super sensitive to stutters, and I've been playing with the MSI Afterburner overlay, and the most intrusive "issues" I've experienced are maybe 2-3 of drops to 59 fps that lasted for the blink of an eye, in all of the 6 hours I've played.

This part timestamped is a really common spot where people get slow down. So you don't have this at all?

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
This part timestamped is a really common spot where people get slow down. So you don't have this at all?

Yeah, I guess performance at that place really is spotty... I could push up the CPU speed a couple hundred MHz, but the CPU didn't really appear to be under any stress...

Goes to show how loving a game can make you a bit blind for flaws :p

I had the nvidia overlay on, but for some reason it doesn't show in the video.

This video is with the RTSS overlay.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
you are giving out information on a version of a game that is shown by many to be busted due to DX12 shader stutters on every PC out there.
possibly making someone buy the game for a system that doesn't work right.

so either prove it, and prove dozens of tech tests wrong, or don't claim shit like this.
My god. The arrogance in your posts is mindblowing. I never said that the game didn't have problems on many, many systems. I refuted your claim that it has problems on 'every PC out there'. Because, it doesn't. As evidenced by posters in this thread. If your expectation is that everyone is going to record gameplay and post it for you, you're out of your goddamned mind.

I will reiterate. The game works fine here. It works fine on many machines. It works poorly on many more. You don't like that? Don't agree? Tough shit.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I am playing on 5800X + 6800xt + 32GB RAM + 980 pro ssd no problems either.
The Office Reaction GIF

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

Seems to be a mixed bag.
My rig:
i7 7700
GTX 1070
SSD
Running high settings
I'm not getting any issues. It was the same when the third batman game came out and everyone was having issues with it bar myself.
No idea why.

A friend of mine has a better rig (Don't know the specs) and he's defiantly getting the issues being reported. It would put me off playing it.

vpance

Yeah, I guess performance at that sport really is spotty... I could push up the CPU speed a couple hundred MHz, but the CPU didn't really appear to be under any stress...

Goes to show how loving a game can make you a bit blind for flaws :p

I had the nvidia overlay on, but for some reason it doesn't show in the video.

This video is with the RTSS overlay.

It's definitely there but way better than I think what most people including myself see. I get like 20FPS dips for 1s there. Some people with higher specs than your PC are seeing worse, so it's really peculiar what exactly in the setup is causing it.

JRW

So odd how some people have no stutter but most do have it, I watched a twitch streamer fight the Tree Sentinel and it was literally stutter free 60fps, do M.2 SSD drives help with the stutter or is it another issue?

vpance

So odd how some people have no stutter but most do have it, I watched a twitch streamer fight the Tree Sentinel and it was literally stutter free 60fps, do M.2 SSD drives help with the stutter or is it another issue?

It's not the drives, I think it's a combination of CPU and memory speed that affects it the most. And throw in the state of how bloated or not your Windows install currently is.

Reactions: JRW
Top Bottom