• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Fallout 4 patch 1.02 boosts PS4 performance

bombshell

Fallout 4's patch 1.02 went live last night, a 512MB file that puts to rights some of the game's outstanding issues on PS4. Stability issues, glitches and areas of performance are in the crosshairs this time - while Xbox One's patch is still pending. Based on its update notes, Bethesda singles out the Corvega factory as a focal area of gain on PS4 - a nightmare to play in its launch state, with drops to 20fps and under on the console. Thankfully, we have some good news on this front.

Starting at its sewers and working up to the rooftops, Bethesda delivers a notable boost in Corvega's overall performance level compared to the day one patch. Across the breadth of our video below, a run of this area puts us at a fixed 30fps in places where the older version dwelled in the mid-20s. It's a night and day difference at points. It's a handsome boost then - but it must be stressed that we're still in the process of determining whether this improvement reflects the game's other stress-points on PS4 - such as effects-heavy battles.

As for the rest of the game, we'll be back with more extensive tests on patch 1.02, checking whether a similar boost is in effect elsewhere. And of course, Xbox One is due for an equivalent update in the coming days, something we'll cover as soon once it lands.

More here, including a framerate test video: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-fallout-4-patch-boosts-ps4-performance

Sinfamy

It's still hilarious how easily you can cheat with your dog companion, wonder if they'll ever patch that.

whooo performance fixes!
cat%2Bgif.gif

Good on them for starting to fix these performance issues, but this is just another example of video game publishers pushing out an unfinished product. Quality control is at an all-time low.

Best to not buy open world games on console at launch.

eFKac

Jesus first time I see a framerate test of Fallout 4. What a fucking mess, a bit of shitty alpha effects and it's dropping like crazy. Good to see that they are improving it a bit at least.

dan2026

Good on them for starting to fix these performance issues, but this is just another example of video game publishers pushing out an unfinished product.

The publish now, fix later attitude of developers this generation is fucking disgusting to be honest.

Perhaps I haven't been playing long enough, or got into much of the story arch (I'm at level 21 and just
found out who took Shaun
) but I've had no noticeable problems in terms of performance with the game on PS4, and I've been playing on day one. Could be that I have it downloaded on an upgraded 2TB HDD instead of the stock, which I've seen can ease some technical issues, but outside of the game just being stupidly cheap on Hard mode, and the expected Bethesda glitches, the game has been great to me.

Honestly though, any support and bug fix patches that smooth out gameplay is always a welcomed addition, but I guess my experience with the game hasn't been one where things got out of hand bad.

UberTag

The publish now, fix later attitude of developers this generation is fucking disgusting to be honest.
Given the forgive and forget demeanor of most consumers when it comes to opening their wallets, I'm just grateful there's still a "fix later" process in place.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Good on them for starting to fix these performance issues, but this is just another example of video game publishers pushing out an unfinished product. Quality control is at an all-time low.

Not even just open world at this rate. At some point publishers and devs have to be held accountable for their trash without these games being used as ammunition for thinly veiled platform wars about specs and power.

Its up to the developer to assure smooth performance for these SKU's. Which they do after 6 months or so, which is unacceptable.

Lucifon

Perhaps I haven't been playing long enough, or got into much of the story arch but I've had no noticeable problems in terms of performance with the game on PS4, and I've been playing on day one.

Same. Barely had anything that bad, nothing like Just Cause 3, that's genuinely fun-damaging levels of performance issues. Few dips here and there and whatnot but nothing outside a little bit of jank.

Perhaps I haven't been playing long enough, or got into much of the story arch (I'm at level 21 and just
found out who took Shaun
) but I've had no noticeable problems in terms of performance with the game on PS4, and I've been playing on day one. Could be that I have it downloaded on an upgraded 2TB HDD instead of the stock, which I've seen can ease some technical issues, but outside of the game just being stupidly cheap on Hard mode, and the expected Bethesda glitches, the game has been great to me.

Honestly though, any support and bug fix patches that smooth out gameplay is always a welcomed addition, but I guess my experience with the game hasn't been one where things got out of hand bad.
If you've been in the place they're talking about you would have noticed. I got there very early in the game and the frame drop was terrible.

Same. Barely had anything that bad, nothing like Just Cause 3, that's genuinely fun-damaging levels of performance issues. Few dips here and there and whatnot but nothing outside a little bit of jank.

I find the jankyness of Fallout to be one of it's best traits quite frankly. Some of the more hilarious glitches ever make for a fun experience imo :p

If you've been in the place they're talking about you would have noticed. I got there very early in the game and the frame drop was terrible.

That's true, which is why I prefaced my post saying I'm not far into it as I probably should be. It's crazy how a specific part/area of a game can be so piss poor, performance wise, compared to the rest of the game. But at least it's not a game breaker like in the past? Idk, glad they at least patched it relatively quickly. #silverlinning

Deku Tree

I haven't been good enough to make these dog cheats work. They seem to require much better precise timing than I had the patience to learn how to pull off...

danowat

Banned
It's significantly better, but the fact that the performance fixes appear to be for a single area worry me.

What did they do to increase the performance?, reduce the load in this area?, are other areas increased too?

camac002

The removed many shadows. Look at 1:14.

That seems weird tbh. Was it really necessary to remove a non-dynamic baked shadow like that?

It's a nice boost but it still concerning to see it drop to 21 fps from a crappy looking explosion and fire in a hallway. I mean...how do other games even run if a something like that can cripple a system.

Memnoch

I'm happy they are patching this to try to improve it. I hope a broken quest I want to finish is in there.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
please explain

Also, the Lone Wanderer perk allows you to still use the dog as a companion and get the benefits of the perk.

I never did see confirmation if this was an oversight or intended, but I believe one of the loading screens alludes to the fact that it shouldn't work with the dog.

Hah, it looks so weird now.

Looks more in line with other indoor areas now. Fallout 4 indoors don't really have shadows for the most part. Corvega had dynamic moving spotlights which was probably why it hurt performance so bad. The funny thing is Corvega is only the start of where bad performance were, it gets worst.

danowat

Banned
Looks more in line with other indoor areas now. Fallout 4 indoors don't really have shadows for the most part. Corvega had dynamic moving spotlights which was probably why it hurt performance so bad. The funny thing is Corvega is only the start of where bad performance were, it gets worst.

Yeah, it does, but being early on in the game means it's probably a place that most people have visited.

daveo42

Banned
*shrug*. I was in that area and I didn't notice any difference in performance.

I rarely notice these issues either, but Converga always seemed like it chugged from the moment I stepped in. You could just feel the framerate grind to a halt. Glad it's improved, but terrible that they only way they seemed to fix it was removing shadows.

Certinty

Seems like a good update but unfortunately I've already completed the game. Really the game should have launched with this update though given how pathetic is was before.

Top Bottom