• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Fallout 4 patch 1.02 boosts PS4 performance

DOWN

Banned
Good on them for starting to fix these performance issues, but this is just another example of video game publishers pushing out an unfinished product. Quality control is at an all-time low.

Best to not buy open world games on console at launch.
BS tbh. These games are huge. It's more unlikely than ever that their teams will iron out or find issue with their game in the same way a multi-million public audience will. I absolutely wouldn't have called Fallout 4 unfinished at launch over its issues.

Just went to that spot on my PC with 1.2 patch.

QkEx2Mn.jpg

I don't have a before on PC though.

Is this with the highest in-game settings?

If so, Bathesda is more terrible than even I could have though.

Man... downgrading graphics through a patch on PC. Has this what it has come to? Remember graphics settings? Those were good times.

Man... downgrading graphics through a patch on PC. Has this what it has come to? Remember graphics settings? Those were good times.

Maxed with shadow distance on high instead of ultra which I don't think would change that shot.

Nvzman

Good on them for starting to fix these performance issues, but this is just another example of video game publishers pushing out an unfinished product. Quality control is at an all-time low.

Best to not buy open world games on console at launch.
Please stop it with this bullshit. Games are far more complex now then they ever were, games like Fallout 4 would take years to polish and iron out bugs.
Quality control hasn't gotten any worse, if anything its gotten harder to meet deadlines and stress-test everything properly.

Planned to get this game on PC after seeing Digital Foundry's performance videos for PS4, but it's definitely good to hear that Bethesda is working on this.

BS tbh. These games are huge. It's more unlikely than ever that their teams will iron out or find issue with their game in the same way a multi-million public audience will. I absolutely wouldn't have called Fallout 4 unfinished at launch over its issues.

It's not hard to find and fix these awful framerates. They already have started a few weeks after lsunch.

Please stop it with this bullshit. Games are far more complex now then they ever were, games like Fallout 4 would take years to polish and iron out bugs.
Quality control hasn't gotten any worse, if anything its gotten harder to meet deadlines and stress-test everything properly.

They knew the framerate was shit. Stop making excuses.

Kezen

Banned

This is really dumb on Bethesda's part.

danowat

Banned
I meant more it wasn't hard to find. They knew it and shipped it any way. Keep excusing them though. They will continue to launch shitty performing games.

Of course they knew the state of it at release, I don't think that is in question.

In a perfect world maybe everthing would be top notch, but this world ain't perfect, and if they need to hit the release date, then they need to hit it, and deal with the fallout later, it's just economics.

Of course, we'd all like perfectly functioning, great looking, great running games out of the box, and it does happen, but with large and complex games like FO4, it sometimes doesn't happen.

Because your giving the benefit of the doubt on a subconscious bias. They knew the game wasn't all together and that's point blank period. They didn't even try to hide it. Imo, It's totally ok to say the game was unfinished. Just because you can beat the game in its current state does not mean that bugs that can break the game (such as the elevator) can not dead stop you from playing. It's awful that some of you can't recognize finish from unfinished.

But on the other hand... I feel like it is somewhat impossible to know 100% which areas are a problem as that information would come from users once they get the game. It's shameless qa but it works because for a small team, they simply just can't with a game that large.

wicko

That shadow was not baked, it was dynamic - you can tell when the player moves underneath the shadow at about 1:19.

This is unfortunately how optimization works, so people need to knock it off with the lazy comments. A designer or layout artist added a shadow casting dynamic light where they shouldn't have. You don't try and optimize dynamic lights (which is probably like squeezing blood from a stone), you go and fix the sore spots.

There probably isn't much choice but to have this affect PC, as each platform doesn't have specific level data. What a nightmare that would be to keep track of. 99% of fixes would be needed on all platforms, and you want consistency - not correcting the same thing 3 times. Assuming modders can adjust light properties, it would be easy enough to fix this in a mod.

EDIT: I guess an alternative solution for platform specific light fixes would be to have a PC drop down for light type, and a separate override for console light type. This would likely require a code change, though, not simple data change.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So they patched out the shadows on the PS4 to improve performance? Are you kidding me? That was their "fix" instead of optimizations?

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It's so easy to throw out the word "optimizations" without realizing the full scope of what that would mean.

omonimo

Banned
Man performance are still incredibly awful during the shoot sequence. JC3 it's smooth like silk in comparison.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So they improved performance by downgrading the visuals?

Jump to conclusions much? Do you have evidence of that other than one room? Were shadows removed from the whole level, from the whole game?

It's clear as day from the comparison video that everywhere else looks identical and performs much better. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

shandy706

Agreed. And cryo gun is useless IMO.

I've not used the Cryo gun on large enemies yet, but I'd think it would work well against Legendary and much higher level enemies.

Slow time, then hit hem with Cryo, then lay into with your weapon of choice. When Cryo wears off repeat.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I refuse to play a game like this. If they don't fix the frame rate and bring back the shadows, I'll selling it.
Enough with shitty developers.

-griffy-

Banned
The removed many shadows. Look at 1:14.

Haha of course. Makes sense I guess, considering the best way to improve performance on PC is dropping the shadow distance to medium, though it's just a testament to how messed up their optimization is. There's clearly something wrong with the engine in regards to shadows. It's supremely dumb that they removed them on PC though considering I had no issues inside Corvega, just outside while on top (and continue to no matter what settings I choose).

Jump to conclusions much? Do you have evidence of that other than one room? Were shadows removed from the whole level, from the whole game?

It's clear as day from the comparison video that everywhere else looks identical and performs much better. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

I don't know, I've had the beta patch on Steam for the last week or so, and gotten very far into the game (about 72 hours or so), and have definitely noted a lack of dynamic shadows in interiors in many cases you would think there would be. I just chalked it up to Bethesda weirdness, since this has always been an inconsistent thing in their past games as well. Since I didn't play through these areas before the patch, I can't compare, but I wouldn't be surprised if shadows were paired back in many interior environments.

psychotron

It's definitely possible it's just another glitch introduced by the patch. I'm remembering how the God rays were removed from Far Cry 4, and it was a huge deal (to me too), but it ended up just being a bug.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It's so easy to throw out the word "optimizations" without realizing the full scope of what that would mean.

Optimizations does mean removing things quite often just FYI.
Yeah, seriously.

Right, because an engine that is dated, janky, and animations that the Playstation 2 would appreciate, clearly needs to have graphical downgrades to perform better.

We are not talking state of the art graphics tech here. I would get it in a Cry Engine game (yet that engine seems more scalable). So much apologies for Bethesda. This is the only company that can make games, run like shit every generation, on dated tech, outright lie about it, and there is strong defense for them. I am baffled.

Hoping this is just a bug, otherwise, the engine is just disappointing heading into 2016.

danowat

Banned
It's definitely possible it's just another glitch introduced by the patch. I'm remembering how the God rays were removed from Far Cry 4, and it was a huge deal (to me too), but it ended up just being a bug.

Didn't the same thing happen with the next-gen version of GTA V?

mileS

Yes we get it people. "Optimizations" most likely remove things or downgrade visuals in slight ways. But this is Fallout 4. It already looks incredibly underwhelming to begin with.

It's like you haven't stopped for a second to realize where some of the terrible drops to 20 came from. So in an open world game, the framerate drops out of all places, inside a building going down a narrow corridor. Nothing special is going on, the graphics are flat, there's not a lot of npcs nearby or special effects, just a simple light shaft that in no way should make the framerate drop that low. "Optimization" in THIS case should not result in removing a graphical effect, or downgrading anything. It should result in Bethesda tweaking their terrible engine to properly optimize this section to the hardware. Incredibly sad that people would actually support a downgrade in sections like that. Maybe if Bethesda was a little bit more competent the framerate wouldn't tank in such a simple area.

How would you propose to fix it? Seeing a lot of posts like yours but nothing to back them up.

Obviously I can't give specific suggestions since I don't know the ins-and-outs of their code or engine. Maybe they forgot to turn on compiler optimization flags again, who knows?

Hard to give the benefit of the doubt to a developer like Bethesda. After flat-out lying to everyone pre-release by saying the game's a "solid 30fps" and then denying the game's performance issues post-release (not to mention all the shit with their past games, especially Skyrim), I'm giving them a very short rope.

Top Bottom