• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Faster hard drives boost Xbox One Fallout 4 performance

Very interesting. Sounds like any external will improve things, but most 7200 RPM externals will almost eliminate the stutter, and an SSD (or hybrid) will completely eliminate the stutter. I have a 7200 external so I'm relieved to hear that, also considering that friends of mine who got it have not noticed the freezing problem and so this probably makes some sense, most people I know have an external HDD for their X1.

Still, this also sounds patchable.

So is performance on X1 better than PS4 under those circumstances?

I don't think the video went into the scenarios where PS4 (stock) performs worse than Xbox One (stock), like in firefights involving high alpha particles (is that it? The Chaingun scene from their video), but in most of the video I looked at, the PS4 using an SSD slightly outperforms an Xbox One using an SSD but to a pretty fractional amount.

RdN

I'm running the game on a 7200RPM, SSHD external drive and it's running perfectly. Haven't encountered any of the stutters some people are talking about.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
A external is always gonna be faster then the internal SATA. :)

Why do you reckon this is ?

Is it because the internal is already being used heavily to cache stuff and using an external removes the bottleneck ?

amardilo

Looks like I got really lucky as I bought a SSD for my Xbox One last week as it was on sale (and a Xbox One Media Hub enclosure thing). I've put Fallout 4 on there and so far I've not noticed any freezing/stutters.

Tobor

Just gonna put this here, might do well in the OP too.

6zjh4kv.jpg

I have a hybrid drive in my PS4. That should help as well, right?

thelastword

Banned
We have no confirmation as to whether or not those will be fixed, so I'd rather make sure I purchase the version that performs the best in real world terms right now.
If you have both consoles, the PS4 version performs better right now and when it's patched it will stretch the lead even more. In both cases the PS4 version will come out on top.

Would this not technicqly work for every game on every consoles and pc though..

Not specific too xbox1 really is it.

That said I'm 6 hours into the ps4 version and not seen any drops at any time with basic hdd. Game is running great for me..

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Damn, I'm thinking about getting a SSD for my PS4 now. Those load time cuts are awesome.

Head.spawn

Would this not technicqly work for every game on every consoles and pc though..

Not specific too xbox1 really is it.

That said I'm 6 hours into the ps4 version and not seen any drops at any time with basic hdd. Game is running great for me..

Even during combat? That video posted earlier looked pretty ragged when he was fighting 2 enemies (one on the screen) and a dog.

Hawk269

Anybody try an Elite console yet?

I will try it later tonight and let you know. I know that the way the SSHD work is that it is based on usage and the most common stuff then boots faster since it is remembering commonly used files. For example, Forza 6 load time for the Spa track is about 10-12 seconds faster than my external 7200rpm self powered hard drive. But when I ran the test the very first time, the load time was only 1-2 seconds faster. So I quit and reloaded the same track and then it logged the 10-12 second improvement. Tried it with other tracks as well and the same results roughly...anywhere from 8-12 seconds faster load times in Forza.

Halo 5 also loads up much quicker than it did on my external drive, so I have high hopes that this will definitely help with Fallout.

Karak

Even during combat? That video posted earlier looked pretty ragged when he was fighting 2 enemies (one on the screen) and a dog.

I have now seen so many differences across the exact same hardware, PS4/Xbox One. There is just no guarantee whatsoever right now. Its not just Fallout that has shown variances either. The advent of so many people recording content as well is starting to bring this issue up even more which is good.

AP90

I need more performance data stat for SSD externals on the Xbox One.

I'll order this ASAP if it's the same level of performance increase per game http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RWXVMRS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$160 (no tax) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-148-946

$17 ssd optimized enclosure aluminum.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ID3FCRC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is what I have been running as my external on my second Xbox for about a year now (have the 512gb model mx100). Save some money assemble it yourself. Main Xbox console has a 3TB seagate 7200 64mb cache external (so I can download as many games from gwg as I want =D )

So is performance on X1 better than PS4 under those circumstances?

I assume you didn't watch the video! :) The end of the video says this about after you use an External Hard Drive with the Xbox 1:

"You'll note that the Xbox 1 is much more competitive generally with PS4 now. Its just a touch less stable overall across the run of play."

They also note that even after using an external hard drive, the weapon change stutter on Xbox 1 is still present with the 7200rpm (at about 2:20 in the video).

Plasmid

Jesus 19.4 seconds w/ SSD, i bought a samsung 850 evo right before and i have maybe 10 seconds MAX loading on my PC. Of course that could be a variety of factors but still.

Top Bottom