• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Fifa 17 PS4 Pro Analysis

ron_bato

Here's DF's analysis of Fifa 17 on PS4 Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWF6nsnsl_0

Time to break out the dual system control joypad for a forensic comparison of the advantages FIFA 17 enjoys on PS4 Pro. Native 4K? Let's do it.

- Native 4k
- Still has some shimerring
- Same graphics settings as base PS4
- No hits to performance
- higher resolution depth of field buffer
- Uses same assets as the base PS4 version

More details in the video.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Curious how it affects the look. The players are pretty small in standard views so it could be a nice increase to be at native 4K

Shame my son wanted it on Xbox

Certinty

Looks really good on the Pro.

Played a few matches last night and it actually surprised me, looks better than football in real life.

thelastword

Banned
You see, I can see some brilliance in Tom's faceoffs every now and then. I appreciate how he showed the difference in grass render. My advice, do more of that when you talk about graphical settings between platforms, it means you will be more correct than not.

In any case, I think in graphics, it's all about balance. I have no problem with Skyrim's TAA that cleans all jaggies at native 4k, there's a little blur, but it's still a million time sharper and crisper with better draw distance and resolved detail than any other Bethesda game on consoles. It has amazing IQ.

So I was saying in the other thread (TLOU) that even at 4k or 1800p you can notice shimmering without some form of AA, though it's vastly reduced. Personally, I'd take some TAA to clean up the jaggies in Fifa 2017, but 4k 60fps is not something you make too much noise about. That's an incredible accomplishment with a few graphical boosts as well.

Wish these videos weren't being drip fed though, why could'nt the framerate analysis be included in this video?

Rodin

I saw it yesterday with my brother and looked like trash, didn't see any difference. In fact i thought it wasn't patched yet. He probably needs to change his tv.

Played a few matches last night and it actually surprised me, looks better than football in real life.
Lolz

onQ123

What resolution was you watching real life in? have you downloaded the Pro patch yet? check your HDMI cable to make sure they are 2.0

thelastword

Banned
Calm down guys, I was exaggerating.

Either way the game looks good, far clearer than its original version.
I think they're just taunting, but Fifa at 4k should look amazing. I stopped buying Fifa games for a bit, but this one is definitely getting me tempted because of the update.

onQ123

Quick someone check Madden! EA isn't talking because of the marketing deals with MS but it seem that they was well prepared for PS4 Pro. I wonder if they planned ahead even as far back as Madden?

Madness

lmfao...it doesnt even best pc version at 4k...how is what your saying even serious?

We need to take a look at how the blades of grass on the field look between the two versions to definitively state though. So please enhance enhance enhance on the images.

shanew21

I wonder if Scorpio will allow better textures in addition to native 4K next year. The additional VRAM should allow that. PS4 Pro/Scorpio might become a must-buy for sports game fans.

onQ123

They did not mention whether there was a Souped up 1080 mode. Is there?

They could have souped up the 1080p on PS4 before the Pro was released but this is a multi-platform sports game that comes out every year there is no need of wasting time & resource trying to get better graphics out of each platform.

If you play at 1080p, does the framerate increase? In-game on Xbox One is nice enough, but the replays are fucking buttery smooth - I long to play at that framerate.

EDIT: in the video, he says replays are locked to 30fps. That's...definitely not true, at least not for the Xbox One version. To be clear, I'm talking about when choosing "Instant Replay" from the pause menu, not the actual replays that appear while you're playing.

jett

D-Member
That's rather impressive overall, although personally I've always found the change to 30fps for certain sections pretty jarring in football games. Too bad that's still around.

I really appreciate the zoom-ins in the video to better notice the detail for us people that don't have 4K monitors or TVs. I have to say, based on that, the jump to 4K is some serious diminishing return.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wow. Looks fantastic.

I don't even like the FIFA games but have enough football (yes, its fotball, not soccer) fans in my family to have this as a showpiece thing in case I'm having people over.

Adam M

Good to see that a $400 machine can do 4K@60fps, I really don't understand the malcontent people, seems to me that it's a trend to hate things in today's life.... I think it's a really good console

theWB27

PS4 Pro NBA 2K17 60fps native 4k HDR looks far superior to fifa 17. This seems to be a half assed approach.

But NBA2k is consistently the best looking sports game we get. I wouldn't put Fifa second on that list. I'm not sure why Fifa would match 2k all of a sudden.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Curious how it affects the look. The players are pretty small in standard views so it could be a nice increase to be at native 4K

Shame my son wanted it on Xbox

Get PES then! Best game, 4k native and on PS4 you can have full licenses thanks to option file modding which is blocked on Xboc

HarryKS

They could have souped up the 1080p on PS4 before the Pro was released but this is a multi-platform sports game that comes out every year there is no need of wasting time & resource trying to get better graphics out of each platform.

No, don't they all offer 2 modes for people who do not use a 4k tv? Will the PS4 Pro version look the same as the PS4 version on a full hd tv or will it be supersampled/downsampled?

spwolf

I tried it out last night, was not sure if it was patched or not (no info in update notes), but it looked super clean and and grass looked great.... players still had jaggies as noticed in the review posted so that part is not that much improved.

thelastword

Banned
PES is the one you want then as it is getting a 4K patch.
Yeah, I have Pes 2016 on PC, the stadiums, character models and grass should look splendid in 4k on the fox engine for 2017, and I'm pretty sure they will have some AA in there as well.

Hope EA can put in some TAA to clean out fifa however....I grew up on Fifa, just giving Pes a fair shake, but they're both good football games. Best played with a bunch of friends though, I'm not too keen on the online matches. Some guys are Messi/Ronaldo caliber online.

NHale

Well after actually playing 1 game, I have to say the 4k resolution improvement by itself is a big improvement over the PS4 Basic mode.

Also the menu lag is finally gone!!!

BigEmil

He mentions grass rendering is bit higher aswell. Also I would like to know is it more or less shimmering than og ps4 with aa at 4k, it should fare better on 4k no aa

DBT85

They post these things at weird times lol

Nice to hear "yet to detect a single drop from 60fps in normal exhibition games"

They did not mention whether there was a Souped up 1080 mode. Is there?

As in more graphical pretty? Not that I am aware.

But playing at 4k60 locked and downsampling that to 1080 is going to look fantastic.

Top Bottom