• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Final Fantasy 15: PS4 Pro Gameplay - First Look/Tech Analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew0_5fF0WaM

- Pro modes run at 30fps...
- ...but there are framepacing issues, mostly in HQ mode
- HQ mode is 4k checkerboard rendering from 1800p...
- ...but the image looks kinda soft and blurry probably due to the low quality motion blur and TAA solution
- HDR is one of the best examples implemented in any game yet

giphy.gif

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Please fix frame pacing issues on the super solid locked 30fps high quality Pro mode.
Looks pretty good, other than that.

Ferr986

Just tried the demo on my new Pro and honestly, even if it's not as bad as say BB and DS3, the framepacing in the HQ mode is pretty noticeable.

Yesterday I played it on OG PS4 and I don't think OG players they miss much without the Pro version. Game is extremely polished on OG.

Now we have to see what they can do to improve the Pro patches.

Can anyone give cliffs or highlights? At work and can't watch.

High quality mode has frame pacing issues, lightweight mode mostly does not. Both pretty much locked 30. High quality mode is 1800p checkerboarded to 4K (or downsampled to 1080p).

He's very impressed with the HDR implementation on his lg Oled

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, they seriously need to fix the frame pacing. It absolutely drives me insane.

If they could address it, the high-res mode would fantastic. It looks quite good indeed.

Impulsor

Souds awesome. Seems like FFXV will be a real showcase for HDR.

No kidding, I just downloaded the demo and tried it out for a while and its the best HDR in a game I've seen.

I've played Forza Horizon 3, Gears 4, Infamous Second Son and First Light and UC4.

None of the above have such an incredible implementation of HDR.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Fantastic HDR implementation as well based on this video. Man, 2017 LG OLEDs need to get here asap.

ghibli99

Hearing him talk about the game's HDR... makes me want to buy an OLED today. LOL I'm sure they'll get the framepacing addressed. Game is looking great!

j-wood

High quality mode has frame pacing issues, lightweight mode mostly does not. Both pretty much locked 30. High quality mode is 1800p checkerboarded to 4K (or downsampled to 1080p).

He's very impressed with the HDR implementation on his lg Oled

Does lightweight mode basically give you 1080p at 60fps? I have a pro, but only a 1080p tv.

dark10x

Dark, it is as bad as Bloodborne, right ? I didn't just imagine that ?
Yeah, it's just as bad. It feels simply awful.

The lightweight mode occasionally gets hit with bouts of bad pacing but, overall, plays out pretty smoothly. It looks a lot blurrier on a 4K TV, though.

Jumeira

Banned
DF, youre the only site on the net providing this form of analysis, at this volume and quality and what's astonishing is the time in which you deliver this. Thank you for your tireless effort to inform and educate us all. Id like to donate, just a one off sum, I don't want to sign up for recurring payments though.

Does lightweight mode basically give you 1080p at 60fps? I have a pro, but only a 1080p tv.
Lightweight is 1080p30. essentially = what OG PS4 players will play.

1080p60 isn't coming until the December patch.

You (like me) until then will want to play the high quality mode. Here's hoping the frame pacing issues are ironed out.

E: worth noting that "only a 1080p tv" still yields very impressive results with downsampling. I've been playing both ratchet and infamous on my set and they look incredible at 1080p

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Yeah, it's just as bad. It feels simply awful.

The lightweight mode occasionally gets hit with bouts of bad pacing but, overall, plays out pretty smoothly. It looks a lot blurrier on a 4K TV, though.
Do you recommend playing in 4K checkerboard mode OR 1080P downsampled considering the blurrier IQ on 4K set(?)

dan2026

Why is it when western games have frame pacing issues they are fixed promptly.

But when Japanese games have them they are never fixed?

Tyaren

Can anyone give cliffs or highlights? At work and can't watch.

- Pro modes run at 30fps...
- ...but there are framepacing issues, mostly in HQ mode
- HQ mode is 4k checkerboard rendering from 1800p...
- ...but the image looks kinda soft and blurry probably due to the low quality motion blur and TAA solution
- HDR is one of the best examples implemented in any game yet

Kureizu

I really hope the frame pacing is fixed in the final build, just tried the demo and it felt terrible from the very first moment.

The game looks great though.

dark10x

Do you recommend playing in 4K checkerboard mode OR 1080P downsampled considering the blurrier IQ on 4K set(?)
For my tastes, I settled on lightweight mode. While the improved IQ is awesome, the frame pacing is just too severe and hurts the experience.

Why is it when western games have frame pacing issues they are fixed promptly.

But when Japanese games have them they are never fixed?
It's possible that they simply aren't engaging with the community? Between forums, Twitter, and the various people doing tech analysis stuff, Western devs will often read about these problems and investigate.

I know for certain that, in a couple of cases, we contributed to getting it fixed.

I could see some of these companies being fairly closed off from the community (including the Japanese community) so perhaps they just aren't listening? I wish I knew.

psychotron

Yeah, they seriously need to fix the frame pacing. It absolutely drives me insane.

If they could address it, the high-res mode would fantastic. It looks quite good indeed.

The fact that this bothers you so much and you're vocal about it, simply warms my heart. I can't stand frame pacing issues.

dark10x

Can anyone explain in detail what frame pacing issues are? I'd like to know more for what I'm looking for.
OK, think about it like this...

On a 60hz display, each frame will appear on screen for 33ms, right?

When 30fps is displayed properly, each frame will appear for exactly the same length of time as the previous and next frames. With bad frame pacing, you wind up with situations where two frames in a row will only appear on screen for 16.7ms while the frames following it will appear for 50ms. This variation in persistence gives the impression that the frame-rate is unstable and juddery.

It's all about the length of time each frame appears on screen.

Looks amazing but the Lightweight mode wtf is that?
It's basically a lower quality mode (same as stock PS4) and, in this case, it looks smoother in motion due to fewer frame pacing issues.

Top Bottom