• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] - Final Fantasy 7 Remake - Beautiful, but not flawless

Were we expecting native 4k tho? How many games has Pro ran at native 4k? Isn’t it a pretty small amount?

The texture problems seem like the only real issues, and it’s unfortunate.

The framerate is solid, only some minor hiccups that rebound almost instantly

I know nothing about the new plot, not goons go there. No spoilers plz

I wasnt expecting native 4k, but atleast checkerboard or something.

With all the low res textures, this looks like they used Id softwares mega textures from RAGE 1 in a lot of places.

yfSQx6u.jpg

HDGtGnJ.jpg

Theres alot more going on in Fallout 4 and the Witcher 3 than there is in this games various scenes. Why such low res textures and resolution?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
This could have been a reee topic. No one cares you “hate” the guy.

Nah.

Nobody is hating, just saying they don't want to watch something with him in it. I haven't seen anyone be overly disrespectful or preachy (nobody is saying other people shouldn't watch him for example).

Lethal01

I played and finished the game and I had zero issues regarding texture pop in. I have a 4tb SSD installed in the console so I don't know if that prevented the issues...
Hard to believe and I would assume you just didn't see it.

Please prove me wrong though, you could record yourself in the same situation DF tested with

I've got mad respect for digital foundry, only discovered it with the ps5 deep dive, do they do a podcast?

I sincerely doubt I'll ever play this title, but it's fun to listen to videos that take the subject matter seriously

Last edited:

Dural

Nah.

Nobody is hating, just saying they don't want to watch something with him in it. I haven't seen anyone be overly disrespectful or preachy (nobody is saying other people shouldn't watch him for example).

I find his voice a bit annoying, prefer John and Richard for sure.

Stuart360

I wasnt expecting native 4k, but atleast checkerboard or something.

With all the low res textures, this looks like they used Id softwares mega textures from RAGE 1 in a lot of places.

yfSQx6u.jpg

HDGtGnJ.jpg

Theres alot more going on in Fallout 4 and the Witcher 3 than there is in this games various scenes. Why such low res textures and resolution?
Thats 100% a texture LOD issue. UE4 games, even on PC with SSD's, can get that in some games. It usually loads in pretty quickly, and doesnt here for some reason, but still its a lod issue. No way would they put stuff as bad as that in the game. It will be fixed i'm sure.

Dane

I saw a gameplay of that push up minigame and I tought I was being crazy when I noticed lots of low res textures. Turns out I wasn't.

I’m only three hours into the game and once you reach the 7th Heaven you can clearly notice how the textures drop the quality to PS3 levels in some objects, such as doors

Thats 100% a texture LOD issue. UE4 games, even on PC with SSD's, can get that in some games. It usually loads in pretty quickly, and doesnt here for some reason, but still its a lod issue. No way would they put stuff as bad as that in the game. It will be fixed i'm sure.

Straight up.

My issues with the story and gameplay changes aside, its looks like typical UE streaming issues.

Hard to believe and I would assume you just didn't see it.

Please prove me wrong though, you could record yourself in the same situation DF tested with
Entirely possible I just didn't notice it, ignorance is bliss. I would do testing but I deleted it so I could get my digital copy downloading as my internet sucks. When it unlocks for release I'll have a proper look.

Fake

This could have been a reee topic. No one cares you “hate” the guy.
Ironic you say that take into consideration every critic he got in the other place can give you a ban.
In fact I seen your behavior here on neogaf pretty much matching with resetera.
Why don't you go there?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
watched this yesterday. the texture pop in sucks but eh whatever. maybe they can patch it. it seems like there are higher quality textures just not loading. hopefully they can fix that.

LordKasual

Banned
God DAMN when people were talking about low-res textures, i thought they were exaggerating.

No, that actually looks extremely bad. Like, "now i'm wondering why they didn't just do the whole game if they're going to cut corners like that" bad.

It really does look so bad that i'm going to assume it's a bug that has to be fixed by day-1 patch.

God DAMN when people were talking about low-res textures, i thought they were exaggerating.

No, that actually looks extremely bad. Like, "now i'm wondering why they didn't just do the whole game if they're going to cut corners like that" bad.

It really does look so bad that i'm going to assume it's a bug that has to be fixed by day-1 patch.

I hope so but I just feel like we’d know by now if a day one patch was inbound

mckmas8808

Banned
So in going larger than needed for could and should have been a straight forward 1:1 remake like Res1 remake, we have an rpg and an FF7 remake that is over 20 years apart and it suffers from:
  • Isnt 4k/30fps
  • 1620p variable resolution dropping as low as 1360p!
  • Frame drops
  • Excessive motion blur
  • Texture pop in

and a plot that makes MGSV look like a master piece.

None of those are actual issues though. Except the texture pop-in.

cireza

Banned
So I was watching the video and felt like "meeeeeh, small areas, not many colors, not engaging at all". And at the moment where they showed FF XV, with its huge landscape, things that can be seen at a very long distance, and the heroes running in the wild, I felt like "this is what I want to play". Overall, I really feel like the comparison favored FF XV overall. Much more impressive and ambitious game in my opinion, and overall better looking.

So I was watching the video and felt like "meeeeeh, small areas, not many colors, not engaging at all". And at the moment where they showed FF XV, with its huge landscape, things that can be seen at a very long distance, and the heroes running in the wild, I felt like "this is what I want to play". Overall, I really feel like the comparison favored FF XV overall. Much more impressive and ambitious game in my opinion, and overall better looking.

I tried playing FF15 first on PS4, made it about 14 hours, then tried again on PC when it hit game pass, made it about 20 hours. I just can't enjoy the combat, and exploring felt so unrewarding to me.

Lethal01

Perhaps more technically impressive but I find that even with the bad textures the small areas in this game look FAR more visually interesting than.... big grassy planes, they just feel totally generic while this feels like an actual piece of art.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I tried playing FF15 first on PS4, made it about 14 hours, then tried again on PC when it hit game pass, made it about 20 hours. I just can't enjoy the combat, and exploring felt so unrewarding to me.
same here. i still have not beaten the game yet.

i would rather have a tightly designed experience, with smaller, more detailed area, than the giant open world. FFXV delivered the "dream" of a full RPG open world and it turned out to be.... not all that interesting tbh.

really awesome how this game looks better than the Advent Children movie. poly count is up for debate but textures, shading, etc. looks better.

Last edited:

base

Banned
Technically the game looks great. Playing with an OLED TV. HDR is unbelievable in the game. But what I find annoying is that you can't move freely in most places. Virtual walls.

Top Bottom